...life can be translucent

Menu

Hypothetical 13 alone?

C

candid

Let?s say that you were committed to one year of solitary confinement, and you had nothing but essentials plus your favorite I Ching book and coins. One day you threw the coins and received 13. What would it mean to you?

RindaR

visitor
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Candid,

During this hypothetical confinement, does the individual have any means of outside communication at all?

If not, I'd assume that this hexagram meant that I was to be mindful that no matter how isolated I was, at the deepest level I was united with others, and that I could do something at that level that would benefit all. Perhaps prayer, meditation, studying Yi at the deepest level I could reach, ...being mindful that what I was looking for in my study was something that might benefit all of humanity.

For some reason I'm reminded of the Lucis Trust Great Invocation:

From the point of Light within the Mind of God
Let light stream forth into the minds of men.
Let Light descend on Earth.

From the point of Love within the Heart of God
Let love stream forth into the hearts of men.
May Christ return to Earth.

From the centre where the Will of God is known
Let purpose guide the little wills of men ?
The purpose which the Masters know and serve.

From the centre which we call the race of men
Let the Plan of Love and Light work out
And may it seal the door where evil dwells.

Let Light and Love and Power restore the Plan on Earth.

where a point of light seems singular and yet radiates outward endlessly...

Rinda

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Depends what you mean by 'committed to'. As in imprisoned? (In which case, maybe Yi being sociable.) Or as in personal decision to be a hermit? (In which case, unsubtle advice to revisit the decision?)

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps it is saying that he'll move out of solitary confinement and into a cell with a big mate called Bubba... LOL Yup, that'll fit a within Fellowship with Men...
biggrin.gif

L

C

candid

Rinda, that's a fascinating and beautiful answer. It seems so obvious to appear so hidden.

Hilary, it wouldn't really matter whether committed voluntarily or involuntarily. It could be in jail or on a deserted island. Interesting thought, to be sociable with Yi itself, since there would be no contact with another human.

C

candid

Luis, nope, no move out of solitary possible. (Especially not now!)

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Mmm. Interesting. I thought you were playing a prank on us (sorry ladies, my mind has a tendency to take weird twists and turns...)
happy.gif

Well, let's see... We have a dose of Attention, Sentience, Intelligence and Enlightenment combined with a dose of Adaptation, resiliance and the capacity to find your own way and then a double dose of Creativity, Authority, Cogency, Diligence and Persistence (the Creative). In other words, we have Li fueling Sun from bellow to reach a double Quian

I believe this person is being advised to find a way to utilize that period of solitude to better himself and climb up the ladder of enlightenment. It will be a period of revelations for the subject. I also like Hilary's take on the meaning of fellowship; it seems the Yi is saying: "don't worry, I'm here to help and guide you"

If the above doesn't work for you, here is a poem that may help framing the subject's for the experience of solitude:

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR SIZE=0><!-Quote-!><FONT SIZE=1>Quote:</FONT>

Ode on Solitude a poem by Alexander Pope

I.
How happy he, who free from care
The rage of courts, and noise of towns;
Contented breathes his native air,
In his own grounds.

II.
Whose herds with milk, whose fields with bread,
Whose flocks supply him with attire,
Whose trees in summer yield him shade,
In winter fire.

III.
Blest! who can unconcern'dly find
Hours, days, and years slide swift away,
In health of body, peace of mind,
Quiet by day,

IV.
Sound sleep by night; study and ease
Together mix'd; sweet recreation,
And innocence, which most does please,
With meditation.

V.
Thus let me live, unheard, unknown;
Thus unlamented let me die;
Steal from the world, and not a stone
Tell where I lie.
<!-/Quote-!><HR SIZE=0></BLOCKQUOTE>

Luis

PS: I have used Brad's matrix version for the trigrams. God bless his soul...
happy.gif

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Please insert the word "mind" between the words "subject's" and "for"... My own mind gets ahead of my fingers more often than not...

L

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
That's my analysis and is guaranteed for one year from the date the subject starts confinement or I'll return every cent you paid me for it.
biggrin.gif

L

yellowknife

visitor
Reaction score
Would it also be an injunction to consider your place as a human in terms of the larger world...?

More easily imaginable if you were on a desert island. Maybe your role would be to yield to your place in among the flaura, fauna and environment...to experience yourself as a human led by (to an extent), or at least defined by the purposes and directions of these other factors. To join with your environment..but also to recognise how you weren't defining it- but that it was defining you.

If you'd just got 7 on this desert island, you'd start making a shelter and organising wildlife...making it "yours"

while with 13 you're being advised to belong to it.

ish?

C

candid

Wolverine,

That's interesting. Typically 13 is considered to be fellowship with men. But if I understand what you've said, it may be fellowship with nature and one's environment.

Can anyone (Brad?) shed light on the literal value of this in 13?

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Candid, this is from Brad's site (I hope he doesn't mind...)

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR SIZE=0><!-Quote-!><FONT SIZE=1>Quote:</FONT>

13.M

Society, Social Organization, Human Association, Classes of People

Community, Extended Family, Fraternity, Trust, Crossing the Cultural Boundaries

Like-minded People, Consensus, Schools of Thought, Common Purpose & Causes

Ethnocentrism, Xenophopia, Tribalism, Group-think, Diversity, Relativity of Mores

© Bradford Hatcher<!-/Quote-!><HR SIZE=0></BLOCKQUOTE>

Luis

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
BTW, you've got to love that "Relativity of Mores" interpretation of the name... Chuckles!

Luis

C

candid

Luis, thanks much! hmmm... I don't see anything there that is fellowship with nature or environment though.

bradford_h

(deceased)
Reaction score
You could read it as taking your culture in there with you, all your friends and teachers from ages past up to now. All that you've learned from humankind.
But forget that damned defense attorney.

C

candid

Thanks, Brad. That makes sense to me.

I'd rather leave both the defense and prosecuting attorneys behind.

yellowknife

visitor
Reaction score
I suppose, it is rather peverse..given this particular hexagram's very definite emphasis on fellowship with humanity.

However...assuming you were going to stay in isolation and not take it as a hint to get back with your fellow humans, I was going for the symbolic interpretation derived from what Confucius said;

"the idea behind 13 is derived from fire below heaven. The superior man is inspired thereby to distinguish things according to their kinds and species"

-that categorising process by which one takes ones place in a setting that's helpful to one's wellbeing and defines oneself BY it not against it. Amongst not separate, as humanity usually is from its environment.

I'd have thought if a fox were to consult the i ching about how best to enjoy its den mates, it could still come up with hex 13 even though it's not technically a human.

Or is that both a really crap metaphor and a separate debate entirely?

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Candid, about getting out of prison: Below we have the eye; and above, the bars of strength through which the eye looks. Confinement cannot be total. One way or another energies from outside enter, and their fluctuations are clues.

Always there are unseen allies, "Men in the open" who could facilitate escape. "Success" if we contact them. Shall we "cross the great water" by taps on the plumbing? Or the keyboard? Isn't water electrical? I hope you have googled Potter's House.

Leaving the Potter's House
http://www.rickross.com/reference/door/door7.html?FACTNet

"I've been suffering depression, loneliness, feelings of rejection and hurt, and also feeling like my life's been a bit of a failure."

"I can definitely vouch for the cult-like nature of the Potters House. I sometimes feel a powerful urge to return to the church - "they've destroyed me for everything else so why not?". But the memories of the pain and dominance frighten me away before I get past the front door."

Christian Fellowship Church: aka The Door, Potter's House, Victory Chapel, La Puerta, The Fire, Desert Fire, Bay Fire, Loghthouse Christian Fellowship Churches
http://www.rickross.com/groups/door.html

Thought Reform Programs and the Production of Psychiatric Casualties
http://www.rickross.com/reference/recovery/recovery8.html

"The perseverance of the superior man furthers."

Tom

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
"The noble one classifies the clans and reads the trails of creatures"

First thing to learn on a desert island. But also the way to recognize your own place among all creatures. As being different and same.

Beautiful post Wolverine

LiSe

C

candid

LOL... it's a wonderful metaphor, Wolverine. Makes sense to me, but then my best teacher is a dog.

Tom, not about escaping prison or an island, just about 13 with no other humans.

Yes, I've researched the Potter's House before. I've also attended a few of their services to get a first hand look for myself. The scariest part is that it's not a far stretch from the more common varieties of Pentecostalism. In form they look identical, but once inside the fold, it's slavery to the leadership. The will of the head pastor is the will of God for YOUR life. Believe it or go to hell. It's that simple. A far cry from the "love bombing" you receive before knowing what's going on.

LiSe, in reality that is the practical thing one would do, yes. And at night, with the rustling of bushes under the moonlight, to call upon those spirit persons Brad spoke of for guidance and protection.

I believe my question has been answered. Thanks to all!

django

visitor
Reaction score
Hi y'all
I suppose if one views 13 from a Jungian perspective it wouldnt matter whether one was on a desert island or downtown Manhattan. The main point is to whether there is an inner dialogue with those "entities" who have access to "your" psyche.
Django.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).