...life can be translucent

Menu

Getting no results when using Advanced Search form

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I hope this is just me being a dummkopf, but the Advanced Search form keeps returning the message "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

The following isn't really what I was after, but it's the simplest thing I can think of to demonstrate the problem:

1. Hit the "Reset Fields" button, just to get a fresh start.
  2. Then put a hexagram number (say, 53) in the "Keywords" box, and
  3. Hit "Search Now."
You'd expect a lot of results, right? All the threads that mention that hexagram number? But I wasn't getting any - just the error message.

Am I doing something wrong?

(I do know about, and love, the hexagram search feature - this is just for demonstration purposes.)

Thanks!

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Try not hitting the "Reset Fields" button. (I don't see this button.)

When I enter 53 in the search field I get many results.

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Work around it:

1. Google.com
2. "your search term goes here" site:http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk
3. Consulting fees, $2.00 (I'll send you my PayPal address) :D

Last edited:

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, fast patrolling of a non-emergency, folks, thanks :)

Pocossin, of the many results :p: I just opened a brand new browser tab, reloaded Advanced Search, entered a hexagram number, just for kicks selected the "Shared Readings" forum (instead of "All Open Forums)," IGNORED "Reset Fields" ;), hit Search Now, and got...nothing. I wonder if there could be some tech-y issue that comes and goes? I have gotten results in the past from Adv. Search.

(The "Reset Fields" button is right next to the "Search Now" button, above the "Save Search Preferences" box. Its purpose, I believe, is to quickly clear any/all custom options you may have set (date filter, sort order, forum restriction) and return to the default, least restrictive, option set.)

Sparhawk: Je t'aime Google Site Search :hug:, and I've used it to search Clarity. It doesn't have the same ability to narrow things down, but yes, it's an option. Since you've apparently already moved on to the workaround, is safe to assume Advanced Search has chronic problems? (And your check, as they say, is...in transmission :rofl:)

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Another observation to add to the data - "Search this Thread" isn't working for me, either. I just tried to use it to locate 10.2's spot in the Hexagram 10 "Memorizing" thread, and got the same zero results. (And of course the text "10.2" exists in there, right here, for one.)

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Try clicking on "Sitemap and search" at the bottom of this page. In the "Site search" field enter 53, and press <enter> or click the Search button. That what I'm doing to get results. I didn't know about the Advanced Search Form and can't get it to work either.

Also, I seem to remember that Martin did the programming for the search function, but Martin is no longer with us.

Last edited:

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Try clicking on "Sitemap and search" at the bottom of this page.
Okay, did that - thanks.

Martin did the programming for the search function, but Martin is no longer with us.
Oh, okay. But...I have gotten results from Advanced Search, and not all that long ago (though I can't say when, exactly.)

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
I experimented some, and the Advanced Search Form seems to have hidden rules. It won't search for single letter words. It doesn't find 53 but it does find 2010. If you click on the form itself, some fields may reset to default values.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I see what you mean, and it gets weirder.

It'll find 2010, but it won't find 22.1.2.5 (which exists here).

It'll find the single 5-letter word means, but it won't find the single 5-letter word about.

Typing it means in the keywords box returns results, both as single words and as the phrase, but searching on what does it mean returns nothing, even though that phrase exists here.

(Enclosing what does it mean in quotes doesn't help, nor does using an asterisk as a wild card, as in what does it mean*.)

HOWEVER, searching on it means what returns results. :rofl:

Edited to say: I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh. I guess it has a "common words" filter, and we don't know what words are and aren't on the list. And I don't actually want to search for the word about. Just frustrated, I guess, because there are searches I would like to do that I can't. Oh well.

Edited again to add: But, we've learned it's not actually broken! That is very good news :D.

Edited once more, because I'm like that sometimes :rolleyes:: And, I'll bet that combining all the various search options that are available (hexagram search, advanced search, Google site search, browser's "find on page," whatever else) - with some practice and creativity - will produce almost anything :).

Last edited:

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, the 'advanced search' thing here seems to ignore all short words, and especially it ignores numbers. Not a huge help when trying to find hexagrams by number.

What you need is the hexagram search (visible under the 'search' link at the top when you're logged in). That, for the record, is programmed by Ewald Berkers who is still very much with us. He's included a more advanced version of it in his Yijing software with journal (www.eclecticenergies.com) - just as quick and easy to use.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).