...life can be translucent

Menu

thoughts on 62.4?

yamabushi

visitor
Reaction score
We have discussed line 2 in 62, I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on line 4 of hexagram 62 or experiences with it?

Wilhelm:

Nine in the fourth place means:
No blame. He meets him without passing by.
Going brings danger. One must be on guard.
Do not act. Be constantly persevering.

Hardness of character is tempered by yielding position, so that no mistakes are made. The situation here calls for extreme caution; one must make no attempt of one’s own initiative to reach the desired end. And if one were to go on, endeavoring to force his way to the goal, he would be endangered. Therefore one must be on guard and not act but continue inwardly to persevere.

tuckchang

visitor
Reaction score
For your reference, the phenomenon of hex 62 Xiao (小: smallness as that which the feminine is specified) Guo (過: to exceed) is the feminine line exceeding the masculine line in quantity. In the era of femininity in excess, 62.4 is ridden over by 62.5 like masculinity bullyed by femininity, (which is of) no calamity (or fault). Not to exceed (the feminine, i.e. 62.5) but rather to meet; it is stern & cruel to go forth (in exchanging positions with 62.5, since the upper trigram will become Kan and it will be plunged in perilous abyss), and one must remain vigilant (like a courtier serving the king); do not act but persist forever, as suggested by the hexagram text: It isn’t suitable to ascend but rather descend, i.e. to keep a low profile.

Regards
Tuck
www.iching123.com

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Yamabushi-
I think you may be taking Wlhelm too seriously - maybe it's time to get a couple more translations going. Nowhere in the Chinese text, for instance, is extreme caution advised. It's just telling you tp pay attention, you're not invincible or immortal in the time of 62. Acknowledge others in passing - they might be robbers or they might become allies. The warning is not to become so full of yourself or your goal (enduring persistence) that you can't dodge problems and troubles. 62 is really a lot more about humility than 15.

yamabushi

visitor
Reaction score
Yamabushi-
I think you may be taking Wlhelm too seriously - maybe it's time to get a couple more translations going. Nowhere in the Chinese text, for instance, is extreme caution advised. It's just telling you tp pay attention, you're not invincible or immortal in the time of 62. Acknowledge others in passing - they might be robbers or they might become allies. The warning is not to become so full of yourself or your goal (enduring persistence) that you can't dodge problems and troubles. 62 is really a lot more about humility than 15.

so you think that it is not wise to use combination of Carol Anthony and Wu Wei books? :)

I m using lot of editions; Alfred Huang, Deng Ming Dao, Hillary, Stephen Karcher "The way of I ching",
I spent lot of money for all of that books...:rolleyes:

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
so you think that it is not wise to use combination of Carol Anthony and Wu Wei books? :)
I m using lot of editions; Alfred Huang, Deng Ming Dao, Hillary, Stephen Karcher "The way of I ching",
I spent lot of money for all of that books...:rolleyes:

Like Changes, the spending never ends. But I am finally willing to sell a hundred or so of my worst Yijing books. Anyone want some bad influences?

peter2610

visitor
Reaction score
We have discussed line 2 in 62, I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on line 4 of hexagram 62 or experiences with it?

Wilhelm:

Nine in the fourth place means:
No blame. He meets him without passing by.
Going brings danger. One must be on guard.
Do not act. Be constantly persevering.

Hardness of character is tempered by yielding position, so that no mistakes are made. The situation here calls for extreme caution; one must make no attempt of one’s own initiative to reach the desired end. And if one were to go on, endeavoring to force his way to the goal, he would be endangered. Therefore one must be on guard and not act but continue inwardly to persevere.

If we look at the name of Hex. 62, Preponderance of the Small, we can observe that this is probably referring to the yin lines at 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th yin. These lines preponderate in that they outnumber the yang lines and symbolically confine/enclose them. This implies a situation in which yang energy must be self-limiting and confine itself to the utmost modesty towards the yin lines. There is no overt limitation on the yang lines, they could easily impose upon the yin lines and subject them but this would invite the most dire consequences.

If we take Hex 27, Corners of the Mouth, as our starting point, here we have the trigram Ken placed above Chen, a vigorous upward drive (Chen) constrained by the strong restraint of Ken. This is a hexagram of balanced restraint in which one must carefully consider the content of one's thoughts, the nourishment by which one feeds oneself. But 1st yang is restless and dissatisfied, instead of nourishing itself independently (like the magic tortoise) it seeks nourishment with the numerous yin lines, from top yang, the provider of nourishment for all the yin lines. This produces an upward sweep by the lower trigram (Chen) resulting in the creation of Hex 62, Preponderance of the Small. Chen is now placed above Ken, the fixed restraint of Ken has been transcended and the careful balance of Hex 27 abandoned. First yang of Hex 27 has swept upwards to join 6th yang and the pair of them now appear together as 3rd and 4th yang in Hex 62. This is the meaning of - 'He meets him without passing by' - in the line-text for 4th yang. Fourth yang and its associated trigram Chen, in Hex 62, could have continued its sweeping motion even higher but it is the nourishment from 3rd yang (formerly 27,6) that it seeks hence 'He meets him without passing by.'

One at 62,4 is in a very difficult situation, having rejected the warnings of Hex 27 to carefully monitor his/her thoughts he/she has surged forward and now finds herself in a confined situation where any further advance would place her in even greater danger. One here has no choice but to abandon personal desire/ambition and fall back onto faith in the Universal Process - 'It is well to remain below. Great good fortune.' It is the unseen processes in our lives that carry the greatest momentum, the greatest significance.

Colours

visitor
Reaction score
If we look at the name of Hex. 62, Preponderance of the Small, we can observe that this is probably referring to the yin lines at 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th yin. These lines preponderate in that they outnumber the yang lines and symbolically confine/enclose them. This implies a situation in which yang energy must be self-limiting and confine itself to the utmost modesty towards the yin lines. There is no overt limitation on the yang lines, they could easily impose upon the yin lines and subject them but this would invite the most dire consequences.

If we take Hex 27, Corners of the Mouth, as our starting point, here we have the trigram Ken placed above Chen, a vigorous upward drive (Chen) constrained by the strong restraint of Ken. This is a hexagram of balanced restraint in which one must carefully consider the content of one's thoughts, the nourishment by which one feeds oneself. But 1st yang is restless and dissatisfied, instead of nourishing itself independently (like the magic tortoise) it seeks nourishment with the numerous yin lines, from top yang, the provider of nourishment for all the yin lines. This produces an upward sweep by the lower trigram (Chen) resulting in the creation of Hex 62, Preponderance of the Small. Chen is now placed above Ken, the fixed restraint of Ken has been transcended and the careful balance of Hex 27 abandoned. First yang of Hex 27 has swept upwards to join 6th yang and the pair of them now appear together as 3rd and 4th yang in Hex 62. This is the meaning of - 'He meets him without passing by' - in the line-text for 4th yang. Fourth yang and its associated trigram Chen, in Hex 62, could have continued its sweeping motion even higher but it is the nourishment from 3rd yang (formerly 27,6) that it seeks hence 'He meets him without passing by.'

One at 62,4 is in a very difficult situation, having rejected the warnings of Hex 27 to carefully monitor his/her thoughts he/she has surged forward and now finds herself in a confined situation where any further advance would place her in even greater danger. One here has no choice but to abandon personal desire/ambition and fall back onto faith in the Universal Process - 'It is well to remain below. Great good fortune.' It is the unseen processes in our lives that carry the greatest momentum, the greatest significance.

Thank you. Beautiful.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).