...life can be translucent

Menu
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: the sequence of I Ching

Default the sequence of I Ching

I would like to share my understanding of the sequence as follows and for your reference.

The sequence 1 - 5

Qian, the sky and the first hexagram, acts like a founder and leader, who exerts himself strongly and untiringly in order to establish his world. While all the six lines of the hexagram Qian (1) are changing to the feminine, those founders and leaders won’t fight one another for the leadership, since the hexagram is appearing in the form of Kun (2), which is the earth and designated to be submissive, like the earth sustaining the sky.

The hexagram Kun (2), the earth and the 2nd hexagram, acts like an assistance and adherent, who accommodates all things with a breadth of virtue, and by virtue of which it can be submissive in following the founder and leader, Qian. While it reaches the top, it fights with the dragon of Qian; however eventually the masculine Qian will still be the desired end of the feminine Kun while all the lines of Kun are changing to the masculine. The mate of the masculine Qian and the feminine Kun creates life; therefore Zhun (3) is given birth.

However the hexagram Zhun (3) is signified as difficulty in initiating, because Kun (2) moved to the northeast, the direction of the trigram Gen, a masculine trigram but with only one masculine line, instead of the northwest, the direction of Qian; therefore Zhun lacks the momentum of masculinity (which tends to move) and must accrue it to be given birth. Line 2 of Zhun in correlation with the masculine line 5 commits to its mission and after ten years (ten steps forward from position 2 of Zhun) the ignorance child of the hexagram Meng (4) is borne and ready for education.

Upbringing is first important thing to the newborn life. The hexagram Meng (4) offers education, while the hexagram Xu (5) provides food as signified by Xu Gua Zhuan (i.e. the commentary on the sequence). In the era of various schools of thoughts existing and differing from one another, the education offered by Meng is exclusive, which will create conflict. Therefore the hexagram Xu is also signified to wait (as peril lies in front). Only after line 6 of Xu learns to share food and drinks with others at position 5; then it can move forth to the next hexagram Sung (6): litigation due to conflict, wherein it can avoid litigation and seek harmony. The food of Xun can enhance life to cross the peril, while drinking with others will smoothen the relation.
    (to be continued)

Regards
    Tuck
    www.iching123.om

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tuckchang For This Useful Post:

anemos (May 31st, 2011), charly (May 7th, 2012), rosada (June 10th, 2011)

The sequence 6 – 10

All the lines of the hexagram Song (6) seek reconciliation but line 6, which therefore wins what it wants and believes in litigation but will lose all shortly, because people of the same ground or interest are grouped with a view to joining forces in defending themselves; thus the hexagram Shi (7) is formed.

In fact, most of time the act of Shi (7) is doomed to defeat or retreat; only the marshal, line 2, who possesses the military power and correlates with the king is awarded with the bestowments three times. Therefore the hexagram Bi (8): imitate and interdependent relationship, steps onto the stage of the I Ching, wherein its lines are designated to seek the intimately independent relationship with others, and line 5, the king, recruits or allies others in an open attitude. Shi is taken for the military action, while Bi is diplomatic measures.

Water drops flowing to a low-lying land due to the gravity, like that of the dukes submitting to the call of the king, is Bi (8), while the converged water drops become a stream and are reserved in a dam, which is Chu, storage and restraint (to herd the livestock, feed and make them grow stronger). The hexagram Xian Chu (9) means little feeding and storage, as well as the restraint of the small one, wherein the small one (the feminine line 4) services the big ones (the masculine lines) but the small one is not dependable and the masculine will be restrained by the feminine if it counts too much on the feminine. On the other hand, after the small one knows how to play the game with the big one, it can walk behind a tiger and tread the tiger’s tail but it won’t be bitten.

Things being converged and stored (Chu) without the order of arrival will cause disarray; thus it must be done systematically and orderly, i.e. according to propriety. As a result, the hexagram Lu (10) is granted; Lu is signified as to ‘act in accordance with propriety’, like the tender trigram Dui joyfully walking behind the rigid trigram Qian. In the era of Lu, people’s aspirations are determined according to their ranks (as said in Da Xiang Zhuang: the commentary on the image of the hexagram). Therefore people of those below must be pragmatic and without undesired ambition; after having learnt the lesson of being bitten by tiger in seeking the way moving upward (to the upper trigram, where they must accompany the tiger and the king, line 5), they can and will do what they should, prudently and with dread, and will have no remorse at end.

Regards
    Tuck
    www.iching123.om

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuckchang For This Useful Post:

charly (May 7th, 2012), rosada (June 10th, 2011)

This is remarkably clear as you state the ongoing "storyline" and brings images to mind that will make certain points far easier to remember. In my opinion, a very beautiful and useful contribution Tuck Chang. I would really enjoy hearing any of these connections you are able to explain in this way.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to arabella For This Useful Post:

charly (May 7th, 2012)

It is possible to tell an equally coherent story from any sequence of hexagrams. The coherence of any particular story really says nothing about the meaningfulness or validity of the sequence. Anybody who reads Tarot cards already understands this.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bradford For This Useful Post:

charly (May 7th, 2012), dryjoe (June 3rd, 2011), elias (June 4th, 2011), Trojina (June 4th, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by bradford View Post
    It is possible to tell an equally coherent story from any sequence of hexagrams. The coherence of any particular story really says nothing about the meaningfulness or validity of the sequence. Anybody who reads Tarot cards already understands this.
    Well certainly I've heard many versions of the story of the Tarot cards, which are actually quite new in relation to the Yi and who really knows where they came from.

Are you saying that there is no one story of the Yi either and many ways to tell the story? I would think there are multiple versions of Yi "tale" that have developed over time. But in relation to the Yi, I don't know even one storyline and I so appreciate hearing this type of explanation as I more easily remember it through the progression of the lines.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arabella For This Useful Post:

charly (May 7th, 2012), rosada (March 29th, 2015)

I assume Bradford means the Fool's journey as in tarot card s. The Fool card ( the beginning of the journey) till the end of his journey ( card World). If we put Major's in a random order, we can tell another story, another journey.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to anemos For This Useful Post:

charly (May 7th, 2012)

No, I don't mean the Fool's journey, or anything structural.
    Any individual Tarot reading juxtaposes a "random" series of numerous cards, out of which the reader spins a coherent story by connecting the dots. But it doesn't mean that those cards "belong" in that order. It's simply what the human brain does for a living. It's what the brain does in the most common forms of dreaming as well.
    The random half of the King Wen sequence is just that - random.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bradford For This Useful Post:

anemos (June 3rd, 2011), answeredquestions (May 2nd, 2012), Trojina (June 4th, 2011)

No, I don't mean the Fool's journey, or anything structural.
    Any individual Tarot reading juxtaposes a "random" series of numerous cards, out of which the reader spins a coherent story by connecting the dots. But it doesn't mean that those cards "belong" in that order. It's simply what the human brain does for a living. It's what the brain does in the most common forms of dreaming as well.
    The random half of the King Wen sequence is just that - random.
    Which half is the random half? Or is that stupid question? Well, even if it is...

sooo Guest

There are patterns galore, but they are not all explicit. Just as the Big Dipper isn't really a big pan, but once the image is seen and identified as that in the sky, it's hard not to see it anymore. When in reality, all one would have to do is change their relative position to it, and the Dipper would disappear.

a "random" series of numerous cards, out of which the reader spins a coherent story by connecting the dots. But it doesn't mean that those cards "belong" in that order. It's simply what the human brain does for a living. It's what the brain does in the most common forms of dreaming as well.
    thinking out loud . .

I wonder if this is similar to playing with letters then, or the 'putting a clock back together' puzzle . . I'm thinking that there may be nuances or intrinsic traits in the hexagrams that make some sequences and their stories appear more 'natural' or effective, ways to line the dots that leave less gaps, or make more sense than others . . or is it just a question of the quality of intent to begin with?

. . .

thinking more about it:
    I guess saying any story would go either comes very close to what Chris (Lofting) was saying about obtaining an answer or towards attributing a sacred quality to randomness . . . I find it's a thin line to walk on between willing and adhering, probably also what's intriguing in divination . .

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast