...life can be translucent

Menu

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
This line describes a situation where one , under the commands of the King engage themselves in a position and has to confront difficulties face to face instead of choosing another tactic. They are free of blame because they do what they have to do “serve the king”

reading Brad's 39.2 and the unsound tasks the king assigns to his minister, made me think that this lines might be a reminder that even what we try to do seems in vain , we still have to do what we have to do.

Yet, I wonder if that is all . Is there any hidden warning that I don't see ? Does this line invite us to reconsider our place in King's court, whether we still want to serve him or not? Do we have always that option, and if yes , is this line tell us to examine what king represents again?

I searched the archives for real time examples but couldn't find much. Do you have examples of this lines that you wish to share or what is your interpretation of 39.2 ?

Would love to hear your thoughts

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
Yet, I wonder if that is all . Is there any hidden warning that I don't see ? Does this line invite us to reconsider our place in King's court, whether we still want to serve him or not? Do we have always that option, and if yes , is this line tell us to examine what king represents again?

if 39.2 describes an "against all odds" situation, if we choose or being chosen to undertake a task that the probabilities of success are not really high then is normal at some point to question our quest, to ask ourselves "does it worth it ?"

If that is the case , then the advice of 39.2 makes sense , stop thinking about the results and stay focus on the job need to be done

Could you shed some light ?

bamboo

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I have gotten this line when in difficult situations where I have been tempted to feel like I was doing something wrong, and felt comforted that maybe it wasnt the result of anything I was doing/not doing per se, the circumstances were difficult inherently.

The option to back away is a viable option I would think, depending on what exactly is the King, here.
Is it a job, a task you are trying to complete, or a person making demands of some sort.....and like you said, is it worth it? If it is, then you go on knowing the difficulties don't reflect any error on your part.

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
thank you Barbara. I feel like you experience it.

It worth it, no matter what the result might be, so for me too this lines sounds like a comforting message.

I noticed that 39.2 and 39.5 ( king's line) are the lines that there is no the going-coming advice so seems pretty obvious that the only way is keep walking.

It was an answer I would like to hear just need to check it if there is something I couldn't hear/see.

Thank you for your help :)

S

sooo

39 casts one into their own hut (falls like water), where things are growing from. One might even call it ones personal garden or crops.
hex39-a.gif

Wilhelm says "Thus the superior man turns his attention to himself and molds his character," which is like saying he turns attention inward to nurture his own garden.

I believe the lines at the bottom of the hut represents the lower trigram, mountain, which is where he can find his own footing and strength again, since it's not easy to tend his garden while standing on his head. :)

Line 2: The king is ones own inner authority (because it is in his own hut), and the individual limping (king's servant), through no fault of his, is nonetheless for him to stand upright in himself, upon the mountain. This strengthening self containment enables him to go outside again, once this obstruction has passed (40?).

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
Line 2: The king is ones own inner authority (because it is in his own hut), and the individual limping (king's servant), through no fault of his, is nonetheless for him to stand upright in himself, upon the mountain. This strengthening self containment enables him to go outside again, once this obstruction has passed (40?).

Thank you for that. It makes much clearer the king part. I know that the obstacles are huge and I feel like climbing a mountain with limping feet. Those obstacles made me think if its a sign that I should question the quest and/or my inner authority. ( what 39 says)

Questioning King's assignment makes feet weaker, so if the advice is to go on then the assignment seems correct.

To your experience have you ever got 39.2 about a thing that proved wrong ?

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
I believe the lines at the bottom of the hut represents the lower trigram, mountain, which is where he can find his own footing and strength again, since it's not easy to tend his garden while standing on his head. :)

I tried to visuallize it. Makes me dizzy :)

S

sooo

To your experience have you ever got 39.2 about a thing that proved wrong ?

Unsure of what you mean about a thing that proved wrong. I've often felt the need to do something externally, like push against whatever was obstructing my will, my way, which would prove to be wrong. I've also run up against external obstructions that I thought/felt were wrong or unfair.

39 and line 2 sends me to a place to think things through more clearly, drink from my well, which typically isn't always in the best of condition at such times, so I need to work on improving that, which is sorta the whole point.

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
Unsure of what you mean about a thing that proved wrong. I've often felt the need to do something externally, like push against whatever was obstructing my will, my way, which would prove to be wrong. I've also run up against external obstructions that I thought/felt were wrong or unfair.

This is what i was looking for !!! thank you. Very very helpful

charly

visitor
Reaction score
Hi, María:

39.2 Chinese received text:

wang2: king / Wang (proper name) /
chen2: statesman / vassal / courtier / minister / official /
jian3: trouble / difficulty // lame /crippled /injury at the foot /
jian3: [repeated looks like a soud: BUMP, BUMP !]

fei3: bandit // no / not /
gong1: body // oneself / personally // to bow / to bend /
zhi1: 's / him / her / it /
gu4: happening / instance // reason / cause /

KINGS COURTIERS BUMP BUMP!
Even kings an courtiers have troubles,

NOT BODY'S CAUSE
Not because of physical reasons,
say, in figurate sense.

Moral:
Nobody's perfect, but to stumble is not to fall.

Much more meanings, of course.

Yours,

Charly

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
When my son got married they held a dinner and people stood up and said nice things about the bride and groom. After a few people read their scripted (boring) platitudes my son took the mike and basically said that was it, no more toasts. My father who is sort of a grump and The Moral Authority/King of the family scowled at me and said "If I'd known you weren't going to speak I would have said something myself!" I knew in that instant it would be better to be making an impromptu speech in front of 200 strangers than to spend the evening making excuses to my father. I jumped up, grabbed the mike and stole the show. When I returned to the table my father gave me the purest praise I'd ever gotten from him in my life, "You gave the best speech and you got the biggest laugh." Three years later it still makes me happy to think about that moment. I asked the I Ching what that was all about and I received 39.2 - 48.

rosada

Last edited:

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
KINGS COURTIERS BUMP BUMP!
Even kings an courtiers have troubles,

NOT BODY'S CAUSE
Not because of physical reasons,
say, in figurate sense.

Moral:
Nobody's perfect, but to stumble is not to fall.

Much more meanings, of course.

Yours,

Charly

Last night looked again my reading having in mind what Barbara and Bruce said and trying to "see" what is the well here. I though of something and reading your post said "yeah, that's my well" . You affirmed in a way my thoughts

Thank you Charly :)

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
When my son got married they held a dinner and people stood up and said nice things about the bride and groom. After a few people read their scripted (boring) platitudes my son took the mike and basically said that was it, no more toasts. My father who is sort of a grump and The Moral Authority/King of the family scowled at me and said "If I'd known you weren't going to speak I would have said something myself!" I knew in that instant it would be better to be making an impromptu speech in front of 200 strangers than to spend the evening making excuses to my father. I jumped up, grabbed the mike and stole the show. When I returned to the table my father gave me the purest praise I'd ever gotten from him in my life, "You gave the best speech and you got the biggest laugh." Three years later it still makes me happy to think about that moment. I asked the I Ching what that was all about and I received 39.2 - 48.

rosada

Lovely story Rosada ! Very 39.2
thanks for sharing :)

B

butterfly spider

I got this hex 39.2 to 40 about an issue with HMRC who say that they have evidence I live with a man ( actually it was plural). Chance would be a fine thing. Thank you for all the posts they have been useful

Olga Super Star

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score

rosada

wonderful story but how is it a 39.2 story? Can someone explain it to me?
Is it because Rosada's father was the king?

The line says "king, servant, limping limping
not its fault"
Whose fault? of the person asking ?

I read it as a line saying that you're limping and having difficulties. But the speech went fine and I myself didn't experience any difficulty when the line came up.

I'm confused :D

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Think of 39.2 as meaning the king's servant is surrounded by difficulties through no fault of his own.

In my story through no fault of my own I was stuck between a rock and a hard place because on one side I had my father, my king, indicating he would frown on me if I sat there and didn't make a speech and on the other hand the possibility of being humiliated before 200 wedding guests if I did.

The Judgement paragraph of 39 advises it's better to seek out friends in this sort of situation rather than to struggle up the mountain alone. This mirrors my choice to get up in front of the guests rather than choose to spend the evening sitting next to my Dad.(The joke here is that one would think sitting at the table with my relatives and family would have represented the friends and that getting up alone to give the speech would have been like struggling up a mountain but in my case one cold grumpy papa made 200 strangers look like warm friends!).

As the hexagram changes to 48.The Well I also see in this experience how the second hexagram can be seen both as the context - the image of the well says the superior man exhorts people to work together and my situation came up because the group was being invited to toast the couple - and also as the outcome because I had to look within myself - as the image for 39 advises a person in this situation should - and in so doing the situation morphed to 48, as I accessed my Inner Well and was able to draw up something to say.

rosada

Last edited:

Olga Super Star

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I got this hex 39.2 to 40 about an issue with HMRC who say that they have evidence I live with a man ( actually it was plural). Chance would be a fine thing. Thank you for all the posts they have been useful

Oh you know, I just pictured you living in Iran having problems with police because you’re living with someone without being married to them.

I was thinking, I didn’t remember her being from Iran at all.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Oh you know, I just pictured you living in Iran having problems with police because you’re living with someone without being married to them.

I was thinking, I didn’t remember her being from Iran at all.

1. If you look by butterfly's name you will see 'guest', that means she is no longer a member here.

2. This has nothing to do with her living in Iran. HMRC are the tax people in the UK see link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Revenue_and_Customs

If one is claiming any kind of benefit or whatever then living with a man who is your partner would affect you entitlement if he was working and supporting you. If your income is being assessed for any reason they need to know if there is another adult in the household who has income and supports you.

Olga Super Star

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
1. If you look by butterfly's name you will see 'guest', that means she is no longer a member here.

2. This has nothing to do with her living in Iran. HMRC are the tax people in the UK see link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Revenue_and_Customs

If one is claiming any kind of benefit or whatever then living with a man who is your partner would affect you entitlement if he was working and supporting you. If your income is being assessed for any reason they need to know if there is another adult in the household who has income and supports you.

I perfectly know all that, the Iran thing was a funny thing I had pictured at first.

But thanks for explaining

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).