...life can be translucent

Menu

I Ching Being Clear on 'No's' but not at all on everything else

1bigsky

visitor
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new. I look forward to reading your thoughts, not just on this issue but also in general.
I've been using the I Ching for about 2 years now and have tried to use it "responsibly", i.e. not overuse it but accept what it tells me.

I have noticed something but it may just be me. If there is something I should not be pursuing, I get quite a clear and easy to understand answer for even the biggest bonehead. The last one was last week, I asked about getting involved in a political party that's been gaining a lot of ground here in my city (and soon my country) and it came back with the story of the seductive woman I should definitely not marry, I cannot tame her, etc. Great stuff that leaves no doubt.

However, most of the replies I'm getting have either been leaving me with a question mark or being rather non-committal. Is this the nature of the I Ching - very clear on the "no's" and a bit vague on everything else?

Thank you.

gnar

visitor
Reaction score
When I get these kinds of responses from my emotions, I take it that I have set my mind on something. Or that my own mind is active already without the iching's stimulation.

I then take my thoughts first, write them down, and ponder over it. Then I would ask the iching, taking its advice as something coming from another person.

This then becomes a process of brainstorming.

I find it best to rest my mind for a while, not by force, but by having it settle by whatever means possible without risking anything important. Then go into brainstorming.

It's very risky to follow whatever you read into the iching like a child. Think of inquiring as like you are a king in the court, hearing all these talk from your advisers. See how you react, and find your way.

Always, the goal is to develop your inner spirit. Losing this can lead to confusion in whatever things presented to you or you'd come across in life. Some people can become easily manipulated because they've let go of their own senses.

So, in a way, it's a good sign that you are getting these responses from your self. This means, you are alive in yourself.

Last edited:
S

sooo

Hi, Bigsky. From Montana, I take it?

Couple things come to mind. One, it sounds as though your primary IC is Wilhelm/Baynes, which has a great deal of good/bad explanations. The other is that, I think most conscientious people have an overactive self-critic, who seeks and desires, and assumes there needs to be correction in ones thinking.

Sounds like you received hex 44, just by your brief description, regarding your question concerning your potential involvement in local politics. Some, including some very scholarly types, would agree with this assessment as being something equivalent to pushiness, or inappropriate use of power. But that is not the only view of it.

Sometimes the Yi depicts our state of mind, sometimes it depicts the state of our circumstances from an objective point of view, sometimes it depicts an as yet unknown element concerning our future, should we follow along our current line of reason and action. It's up to us to discern through intuition and reason where the pieces belong.

Regarding reading as a child or as a king, as Gnar mentions, I think both and more can be effectively employed to decipher a reading. It requires childlike curiosity, openness and willingness to be taught and follow, as well as our ability to minister and wisely council, as well as our ability to lead as a general, as well as our ability to oversee objectively as a king. Most of all, I think it is the king's son, or junzi, who is the best arbitrator of our own readings.

There's a posted "sticky", which you may find helpful concerning your question, here

1bigsky

visitor
Reaction score
Hi, no I'm not from Montana (the name was inspired by Kansas - the band, not the state ;-)

I must admit I use no book. I just use this website. To give a few more details, there is this website idea that one part of my brain just keeps telling me I should pursue while my conscious mind is concerned that it will swallow me & my time (I have a full time job). I had a card reading done by someone who I felt has good energy and the reply was very positive. However, via the I Ching I got no replies that seem to say much either way. I'm just wondering if this tendency exists that I mentioned in my original post.

Thank you for pointing out the sticky.

S

sooo

This site's virtual IC uses Wilhelm/Baynes. Do you recall the reading name or number? Just curious.

white owl

visitor
Reaction score
HI 1bigsky,

I like big skies too. I get the feeling that you may be looking down into this situation (like a eagle hovering over a lake waiting to snag that silvery fish that awaits just for you in the lake below. Your eagle eye is sensing obstacles. its a long flight down..My wings might not be strong enough to do the journey,but your family & yourself needs this nourishment. They will or will they benefit from this undertaking ? I am helping in the food chain. ( I am or am I helping my fellow men & women ?) I am just a small animal , my contributions are small..(it just takes one match.) Is the silvery fish really a mans phony hook to catch other fish? Some questions to ask & ponder while diving down into unknown territory..

WO

S

sooo

WO, what a cool view from an owl who lives on or near Lake Shasta. I've had many a bird swoop down after my shiny shad lures, but the sharper-eyed birds of prey can tell a fake from the real thing long before nearing the water's surface. Good thing the bass aren't as discriminating. :)

(I envy you, living by such a beautiful and bountiful lake. I've driven by but never had the pleasure to fish it, though I have fished several other northern California lakes.)

1bigsky

visitor
Reaction score
Perhaps, once in a while one should just do 'it' without trying to get too much "insurance" in beforehand. I guess I am a little too concerned perhaps...

S

sooo

That may well be. Most often the reality isn't as dramatic as the reading sounds, particularly if relying on the Wilhelm version.

white owl

visitor
Reaction score
Yes, I feel fortunate to have grown up in such a beautiful area, that has provided me close access to nature & its majestic bounty. People often do not realize that the state of California is bigger than Italy & is rich in agriculture & resources..Its not just LA & Mickey Mouse..lol... I do love Mickey tho :).. I agree youmust add Lake Shasta too your bucket list.. Here are some tempting pics too intice you..;)

S

sooo

Fabulous! And pictures only capture one small bite at a time, but tasty indeed.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new. I look forward to reading your thoughts, not just on this issue but also in general.
I've been using the I Ching for about 2 years now and have tried to use it "responsibly", i.e. not overuse it but accept what it tells me.

I have noticed something but it may just be me. If there is something I should not be pursuing, I get quite a clear and easy to understand answer for even the biggest bonehead. The last one was last week, I asked about getting involved in a political party that's been gaining a lot of ground here in my city (and soon my country) and it came back with the story of the seductive woman I should definitely not marry, I cannot tame her, etc. Great stuff that leaves no doubt.

However, most of the replies I'm getting have either been leaving me with a question mark or being rather non-committal. Is this the nature of the I Ching - very clear on the "no's" and a bit vague on everything else?
Thank you.

Yes I noticed lately the "no" answers are pretty emphatic.

I was dead keen to get going on something recently and got 26.1 about it...and the best thing to do about it hex 24...and on it went. Of course in hindsight I'm glad i picked up the 'no'..however yes I agree the 'no's seem very clear. I think yes answers may seem more vague because they may suggest many ways to approach the goal or intended action. So they give you an approach or a description, not a 'yes' exactly. Whereas theres sometimes theres only one way to just say "no" or 'stop'

Think about it in conversational equivalent. If for example you make a suggestion to someone if they have a 'yes' in response they often have alot more to say than if it was a 'no'.

conversational example

A : Should you and I go into business together

B : No its not a good idea becasue......

A: should you and I go into business together

C ; yes we could do it this way or we could do it that way (when Yi says this we may see this as 'vague' ) and we need to have a meeting about our next move and we need to think about this and we need to think about that and so on.

If theres a yes theres much to say and approaches and angles to be discussed and so on. But a 'no' kind of ends the whole thing doesn't it...well at least temporarily. Maybe Yi has multiple ways of saying yes by simply suggesting approach whereas if its a bad idea it needs to SHOUT Noooooooooo

precision grace

visitor
Reaction score
one of my bitter regrets is not taking my camera with me when I was on Mt Shasta. :duh:

lovely pics white owl, thanks for posting them

S

sooo

Thank you, sooo. I was looking for that type of insight.

You're most welcome. You may wish to reference LiSe's version, which focuses more on positive solutions. Bradford Hatcher's (still) free download offers a comprehensive study, along with some heady commentaries. Each version offers a different look at the classic. Of course there are a great many books on the subject, such as this site's proprietor, Hilary Barrett's I Ching, which offers practical and easy to understand I Ching insight.

Oh, for commentaries on the Wilhelm text

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).