...life can be translucent

Menu

Yijing cards. A version...

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The link is to a post in my blog but I just created this album at Picasa to share one of the decks of Yijing cards I have. You've seen them in the "Memorizing" threads but I think is nice to have all of them in one place.

Yijing cards

chingching

visitor
Reaction score
57 always gets me stuck, and i've read everything that is suggested on it. The card has kites flying and I get that in connection to the trigrams but I cant connect the concept to practical relaity.

well I guess the kite is a symbol of something tangible that defines something intangible, or semi tangible like wind, the fact that its flying qualifies the existence of wind, so its an indirect qualifier. I think I know where I'm going with this.

but what I have trouble with is the beds being penetrated, this being aligned to probing and questioning and the associated with wind and kites.

Its very abstract to me, and in readings I tend to look at it with no recognition when it shows up, maybe I need a kite to point out where and what it is.

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Its very abstract to me, and in readings I tend to look at it with no recognition when it shows up, maybe I need a kite to point out where and what it is.

Just to add to abstractness of it: Think WOOD and some images start to assemble together.

chingching

visitor
Reaction score
ha. mmmm, like scrabble (older boards) or a puzzle. It does make me think of that scene in crouching tiger hidden dragon, where they are 'fighting' in the tall bamboo. but that includes wind still.

I havent done myself any favours with my thoughts tonight, but I'll sleep on wood ...;)

S

sooo

Very cool. Thanks, Luis.

Funny, 57 is what I received this morning for the day, and was dwelling on the kite image too.

I share chingching's bewilderment about this hexagram, not any one of its meanings, but how they each describe different emotions and circumstances. There's the gentle penetration, there's the lines, which are more disturbing than gentle, there's LiSe's personal Seal, which determines our DNA and individual identity, and there's Brad's Adaptation, which can fit with wind blowing or wood growing, but it seems like a smorgasbord of meanings associated with it.

chingching

visitor
Reaction score
yes exactly, much more coherant. And after reading those meanings listed together I find myself shouting WHAT IS IT? WHAT IS IT? but perhaps the penetration needs to be subtler, more like whispers. what is it? what is it?

S

sooo

Or maybe..

forchicks.jpg

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
LOL!! Personal experience? :rofl:

S

sooo

But seriously, 57 remains the least clear to me of the 64. As I've mentioned before, long ago, the wind I know, especially wind over wind, is anything but gentle. Wind stirring wind creates a whirlwind, not ideal conditions for kite flying. Likewise, how does wind over wind identify someone's seal? Very mysterious and actually conflicting - which may be a clearer definition, one I can get my head around. You can feel wind but not directly see it, only its effects. I suppose therein the kite illustration makes sense. Or, the effect of wind wearing away mountains, or penetrating the cracks and crevices between rocks and crannies. The mystery of an unseen force. Hmh... mysteries can keep one awake at night, cause one to suspect creatures under the bed, requiring priests and shamen in great numbers. Repeated penetration, humiliation. Shame on me, that I've been at this so long and 57 still remains difficult to grasp. But I suppose that too is the nature of wind. Still, I wish I had a more tangible understanding of 57.

chingching

visitor
Reaction score
The only parallel I can draw is that like the kite describes the wind, the imprint of the seal describes, or represents the signature of the person. Indirect evidence of the thing it represents or describes.

I shall be snikering all day from those cartoons.

S

sooo

The only parallel I can draw is that like the kite describes the wind, the imprint of the seal describes, or represents the signature of the person. Indirect evidence of the thing it represents or describes.

Yeah, I've again been through a number of translations, commentaries, their extensions, and glossaries.
"Ah, but I might as well try and catch the wind." ~ Donovan

I shall be snikering all day from those cartoons.

Blame it on Luis, he's a bad influence. :)

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
this is funny or someone "up there" makes fun of me . * looking up there mischievously*

Those days I struggle to gather 1000 words to find the strengths of a theory that states there is no such a thing such personal identity , we don't have a core identity and everything we are is language and socially constructed. First thing came in mind when read about this perspective was Hex 57 and especially Lise's one . I resist a lot to understand and I cannot really resonate with that idea. :rant:

Winds following one upon the other:
The image of THE GENTLY PENETRATING.
Thus the superior man
Spreads his commands abroad
And carries out his undertakings.

How one spreads his commands ? how one makes visible themselves ? By language ?
this theory also challenge our own personal history. It states that there is not a distinctive, continuous , core identity but we construct stories and reconstruct them. we reconstruct our past in order to "create" a centered, core identity. That makes me think what the authors of Yi meant by repeated penetration ...

one of the many characteristics of wind is its shape shifting trait. My favorite phrase of 57 is Sooo's " i do nothing. Wherever i go things happen" Although you know that wind is there, you see it through the phenomena it creates you can't point a finger to "it" .

Not much knowledge to share here, just my confusion

chingching

visitor
Reaction score
Interesting you posted the donovan quote because I was going to ask if 57 is what bob dylan meant

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Those days I struggle to gather 1000 words to find the strengths of a theory that states there is no such a thing such personal identity , we don't have a core identity and everything we are is language and socially constructed.

Nevertheless, you are unique. No one else has your fingerprints or DNA. No one else can have your experience or memories or can live through the times you have lived through as you have experienced them.

S

sooo

Thank you, Maria, for reminding me of that. I think it answers my own question.

When I was putting together the Images of Yi, and came to 57, "i do nothing. where i go things just happen" was the only thing that came to me regarding 57. The visual image was a windmill. But I am not the windmill. The windmill is a construct, and the wind moves the wind-catcher and turns it to do whatever.

Interesting points about whether one has a core identity. For years, I've said I am not this person, that this person is only a construct, mostly of mine but also of others (funny how different those two can often be, depending on ones relative relation to it at the time). I've a figure called Myth Man, a symbolic robot, not unlike the windmill, wherein all attributes associated as being me, by myself and others, are given to. When I've tried to share the idea that I am nothing, it almost invariably has been met with sharp rebuttal, as though I was intending it as a poor opinion of myself, and that I should feel better about who I am. But that missed my point entirely. I was not putting myself down, as though suffering from poor self esteem. There is no me to put down, only the effects, where I go. Some would say, ah, but that is denial of your responsibility to do good and not do wrong. But I do good and wrong too. Often what is good to one is wrong to another. What determines whether I try to do good or follow inclinations to do wrong, that is the seal, that is what has been given to me, by God, by my DNA, even my ethnicity and blood, and by a conscience. But there is a distinction between that and those things contrived by what or who I, or others, imagine I am, which I call Myth Man, and others may call ego. Therefore, I am not this, I am that. Tat Tvam Asi - Thou Art That. Myth Man is the windmill, the servant of That, which is the servant of whatever it creates: electricity, a paper mill, a guitar to impress girls; whatever.

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
In many creation myths life starts because a deity blows its breath into clay. Thunder and Wind are the voice and breath of the deity, or of Heaven who 'blows and shakes' his creative action-force into motionless Earth with her infinite possibilities.
Thunder is the origin of life, Wind of form. Together the diversity of all things. The difference between living and inanimate might be smaller than we think. Everything starts somewhere and goes somewhere (its destination) - Thunder and Wind.

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
But there is a distinction between that and those things contrived by what or who I, or others, imagine I am, which I call Myth Man, and others may call ego. Therefore, I am not this, I am that. Tat Tvam Asi - Thou Art That. .

yes there is, imo. knowing who we are requires to know who we are not .

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
In many creation myths life starts because a deity blows its breath into clay. .

the breath of life... its very 57 , to me .

I find an association with the Holy spirit and 57 . In Greek we call it Holy pneuma = breath

chingching

visitor
Reaction score
I wanted to open a pilates studio called pysche soma pneuma, so much fun to say.

zizek's film analysis is often about the nothing inside the character, in "pervert's guide to cinema" he especially focusses in on vertigo and the many close ups of eyes, showing that 'there is nothing in there' as a self reflexive statement on the construct of film.

Arthur Koestler's take on the ghost in the machine would be an example of the seal "following inclinations to do wrong" as you say sooo. Koestler was refering to the primitive parts of the brain and their functions overriding the more 'evolved' parts of the brain.

When I first watched perverts I was slighty indignant at zizek's suggestion that there is nothing in there. But recently I have had hightened experienced of people reacting to an image of me or a reflection of me they see, and words come out of mouth like an automaton who can act human, or like I've memorised a script to be said to that exact person at that exact time to bring about the exact reaction and turn of events.

And so I get back to the ghost in the machine, which is attributed to a couple of people and trains of thoughts actually, but for me the phrase has always invoked that sense of the breath of life in the clay. And I'm going to loosely tie and throw in here 'Deus ex machina' which loops back to sooo's "i do nothing. where i go things just happen". (not literally though...loosely)

S

sooo

The entire plot is loose. Have you ever heard of tight wind? Or, has a seed ever left its origin and blown across a field to begin life wherever it shall go, other than loosely? Or, has a pollen ever selected the bee upon which it travels to where it desires to go, or does it just go wherever the bee is attracted to next? Have I selected which of millions of my father's sperm would reach my mother's egg, from which my form was developed?

This is a separate question from the soul, because a soul is not blown by the wind, and if there is no one in there it is because it has allowed the world and its devils or empty and hungry beings to pluck it out, as a crow eats the heart of the seed and shucks the shell to the wind and ground.

I have seen eyes with no one in there, and it was the single most frightening and sad thing I've ever witnessed. At times, I've seen the beginnings of my own soul leaving me, and have come to my senses, and have clung to it like an infant to his mother's breast. The soul is a separate question, the seed within the shell, the Zhong Fu, and it is that which I am. Wherever wind and time carry me, it is my duty to cling to it, so that I do not become deus ex machina. Your sense of the indignant is wholly justified, whether or not others understand or approve.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
How about posting the cards on the Memorizing threads? I mean, I know they are there already individually, but it would be nice to save this access to all the cards in one place.

Last edited:

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Does LiSe have the same cards? Or is the coincidence of this and this just uncanny?

precision grace

visitor
Reaction score
I'll probably make fool of myself trying to contribute here with my paltry understanding of Yi, but 57 to me brings to mind the hive mind. See bees, they are connected even when they are far apart, and they flow from the source (the hive) and gently penetrate the world (flowers) far and wide, taking something and leaving something behind. When they come back to the hive, they and the world is altered in subtle and wide ranging ways. This is what wind does also. It touches everything either gently or violently and each part is changed by it's touch in a different way - but the wind, it is at the same time one thing (the wind) and many things (each instance of the air acting on the world and causing small change because of that contact).
Anyway. Erm.

tobiasosir

visitor
Reaction score
Very nice! Can you tell me which deck this is?
I've just ordered The Tao Oracle--not for use in divination, but as "flash cards" of a sort. These cards you show have a much more...traditional quality about them, and it would interesting to compare the images to learn more about each gua.

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I found this thread today, missed it last autumn. The similarity of the two images, the deer looking at the fire, is really incredible!

The photo has been made by a forrester (or something similar, such professions have other names nowadays), who said "I just happened to be at the right place at the right moment". It was not accessible for non-members, but Google finds things normal beings cannot reach. I have it where I see it every day. I am a fire sign and for way too long did not use that power. So this image reminds me.

Optimalist

visitor
Reaction score
I have been using cards as my main method of Yijing divination. It takes away the unchanging cards, but so far it has provided the same precision in insight and clarity. Does anyone else use the card method over the coins method?

I have adapted the cards as a transition from the coins mainly because the Yi itself has "encouraged" me to do so. I was hesitant at the beginning, but as I read through the history of the Yijing I found that there were previous methods employed that had different randomness effects (marbles, yarrow stalks). I realized it was not the precision that the Yi requires but the relative probability of finding synchronicity in chaos.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).