...life can be translucent

Menu

Encounters with Yi

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
It has been mentioned in the past (by Ginnie in one of her threads) and I think it's common experience for all who study the I ching, to come across random things that, unknowingly, speak perfectly the Yi tongue . . Lately I have been having way too many instances of that in everyday life and while many of them have flown by on the time-stream, I thought it'd be kinda nice if we could get all transferable ones in one place .

An encounter like that came in the shape of a photo blog-post I caught some time ago . . a great depiction of 2.1, imo

. . and just yesterday I came across a video that looks like spelling the fire-mountain combo either way: starting off with 56 to go on as 22 (take a look here)

I have no idea if the people who made them knew Yi, but the similarities were uncanny . . .

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
The shadow and the light, even down to the detail of the pipe, this one looks like 'calling from the shade' . .

oct-15-59.jpg

(photography by Katie Johnson)

charly

visitor
Reaction score
The shadow and the light, even down to the detail of the pipe, this one looks like 'calling from the shade' . .
Hi, Dora:

In my country TO BE AT THE SHADE means TO BE IN JAIL, prisoner.
And TO BE IN JAIL, in turn means FALLEN IN LOVE.
By transitivity AT THE SHADE = FALLEN IN LOVE.

There are some issues that it might be also valid for ancient chinese.

One:

hun1​ to marry / marriage / wedding / to take a wife
That character is composed of:
  • at the left, nu, young woman
  • at the right, hun1, dark, obscure, unclear, dizzy, shady(?), composed of LOW over SUN, meaning maybe when the sun is low or the time when the sun has not yet arisen or when it is just put under the horizon.

Maybe ancient chinese believed that the only thing that one can do with a young woman between the twighlight and the dawn is to marry her.

CALLING FROM THE SHADE might very well mean LOVE CALLS.

Don't you believe so?

All the best,

Charly

In the picture DOVE = LOVE.
Ch.

jilt

visitor
Reaction score
writing with light

Two weeks ago I went to one of the beautiful islands at the north-coast of our country. In thick mist I drove to the ferry-harbour, but somehow I knew I would be in time, in spite of being slowed down by the mist.
I was the last one to embark on the ferry. Immediately I went to the upper-decks, and slowly I saw the shore fade in the mist. Only five minutes later the sun dissolved the mist and I started to make images, started to write with light.
Only when I was at home I realized what had happened: I really had been writing with light, even the pencil was there in the shape of a buy, and then the lines that came up....
active geology, the lines of the yi
wadlight%252520%25252816%252520van%25252021%252529.jpg

the whole album on https://picasaweb.google.com/bertdalmolen/VeerbootAmeland1911930Uur?authuser=0&feat=directlink

cordiallement,
bert dalmolen

nellenmarijke

visitor
Reaction score
surprise en voeding voor de ziel

Two weeks ago I went to one of the beautiful islands at the north-coast of our country. In thick mist I drove to the ferry-harbour, but somehow I knew I would be in time, in spite of being slowed down by the mist.
I was the last one to embark on the ferry. Immediately I went to the upper-decks, and slowly I saw the shore fade in the mist. Only five minutes later the sun dissolved the mist and I started to make images, started to write with light.
Only when I was at home I realized what had happened: I really had been writing with light, even the pencil was there in the shape of a buy, and then the lines that came up....
active geology, the lines of the yi
wadlight%252520%25252816%252520van%25252021%252529.jpg

the whole album on https://picasaweb.google.com/bertdalmolen/VeerbootAmeland1911930Uur?authuser=0&feat=directlink

cordiallement,
bert dalmolen

Hé Bert!Wat een verrassing Fascinating en adembenemend mooi! Dank je :bows: -> 52Ellen van Veen

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
hi Charly! :)

We sort of had that discussion recently back in the 61.2 thread and what I said there and I'll say it again here, is that of course I believe that the line can refer to love calls, just not only sexual love calls, -as in calling for a mating dance.

As an example, these days I'm doing some listening exercises with my kids at school using the 'We are the world song' that was recently remade to help raise money for Haiti; the song's first line is

'There comes a time when we hear (or heed) a certain call'

isn't that 61.2?

In another instance, during my summer holidays, we witnessed a she seagull teaching her young one to fly. If the young was too afraid she would call out to it, to help it get out of its comfort zone . . lot's of 61.2 elements in it. Young goats roaming the steep sides of the islands we frequent, will communicate with their own by calling them out -the herd will respond often from the other side of the mountain. A pregnant woman will feel her baby moving while still covered in her womb and will talk to it, while studies have shown that embryos understand and resonate to the vibrations a sound or voice is giving off
. . lot's of love calls from the shade in all of that, but not all of them between lovers

:)

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
Bert ditto, a beautiful, breathtaking image -writing with light is a great way of seeing it . . :bows: :)

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
A couple of days ago, I heard a story that made a great impression on me and bears some relation to a Yi line.

Along the road we drive each morning to get to work, on a hilly part of it that is full of close bends and winding, there is a villa build up on a slope, looking out on a beautiful view of hills and the sea. They say that during WW2 the area was a place of combat and that during a fight a soldier got badly wounded . . In these slopes he spent a couple of days trying to regain strength and reach a place where he could meet with his comrades . . Afterwards he recounted how what helped him pull thru these days was a turtle that kept him company.
So later on, he came back to the same place, bought some land and built this villa, which he called Villa Tartaruga to honour the creature that helped him make it . .

I was totally moved by this and made me think of an averted 27.1 : holding onto the magic tortoise, he made it out of danger.
Now every time we drive by, I think of it and my day gains a different perspective, a truly inspiring one

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
It has been mentioned in the past (by Ginnie in one of her threads) and I think it's common experience for all who study the I ching, to come across random things that, unknowingly, speak perfectly the Yi tongue . . . . .

well if Yi speaks about life itself then there will necessarily be resonances everywhere in life. Its not life speaking Yi tongue its Yi speaking life tongue isn't it. As we know Yi we will see it in life itself....naturally

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
the text of Yi is a set of metaphors, yes? sometimes events will sit so perfectly within those metaphors that the words resonate more clearly, and the one becomes more lucid thru the other . . you can say it either way, I don't see an objection arising from it

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Theres no objection intended only each time I read the first post, where I saw the idea that life itself had 'unknowingly' sort of demonstrated Yi the thought came to mind that it was the other way about. Life was here before Yi...there was no unknowing. It was infact the deep knowing of nature that gave rise to the Yi. So naturally they reflect each other, Yi and nature...its not a wild coincidence that things we may see remind us of Yi

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
yup, I agree with that, but weren't there moments for you when a sentence from Yi would get illustrated so accurately that you felt the line being whispered to your ear? or sometimes go aha! this is what this line/hexagram/reading is really about! I think nature 'speaks' a thousand tongues and myriads metaphors -or, the other way round, people have used all of that to converse with nature- and sometimes a specific one gets more lucid than the rest. The reason I wrote it like I did is because sometimes I perceive events as speaking a Greek expression, or an English, or French expression and sometimes events might correspond wonderfully with a Yi expression . . then I feel like nature speaks to me in Yi-talk ;)

jilt

visitor
Reaction score
coming back to the image i showed from the mudbanks in the siltsea -actually, the "waddenzee", is worldheritage nature-reserve, indeed heavily under stress-, it was one of those moments you can ask if it is the yi with her line-images that made me perceive that moment of creation, or were it those basic lines that inspired to write the yi, not unlike the tortoises that came out of the mudbanks with the lines on their shells. In either case you need a mind with a kind of shamanistic imagination.
As I formulate it: there was light, and in that light those lines appeared, came into existence. I would not say: "the light writes lines", but more "the lines are being written by light" And then you remember it is all a metaphor.
This is a very academic discussion. Who came first, is there causality? is causality a function of putting blame or guilt? Perhaps the yi reflects nature, perhaps nature reflects yi; anyway they resonate. But suppose some space and dimension faring people that know about soul and former and later lives brought the yi to us?
I remember Chuang Tzu his words: "there is one-ness. When there is oneness, not oneness must also be there. So there are two, not oneness and one-ness. One and two make three. A good counter easily makes it to tenthousand...."
What is experienced on moments of meeting the lines is something like deep resonation with the yi and of course the phenomena. Like you feel in 48-3. You know, but can't explain it with our "normal" sense of cognition.

Last edited:

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
Who came first, is there causality? is causality a function of putting blame or guilt?

. . that made me think of the chicken and egg 'problem' :)

From a point onwards I stopped looking for causality in Yi . . it felt like trying to walk around a circle by keeping a straight line, or like trying to set a rule saying that the given hexagram is the 'now' and the relating one the future. Things just don't always work the same way

What is experienced on moments of meeting the lines is something like deep resonation with the yi and of course the phenomena. You know, but can't explain it with our "normal" sense of cognition.

yup! ;) . . and even when people can, they probably lose the original sense of it along the way

charly

visitor
Reaction score
loved it! just stunning works of word&imagery
Hi, Dora:

I also love it.

How suggestive. A lustral rite?

The WARY ELEPHANT (so said by Rutt) and the GIRL, dressed like a NUN, but maybe a BRIDE.

16.4 received text:

you2: follow / from / it is for...to / reason / cause / because of / due to / by / to / to leave it (to sb) /
yu4: slow /slowly / relaxed // beforehand / prepare / (1)

da4: big / huge / large / major / great / wide / deep / oldest / eldest /
you3: to have / there is / there are / to exist / to be /
de2: obtain / get / gain / proper / suitable / proud / contented / allow / permit / ready / finished /

wu4: do not /
yi2: to doubt / to misbelieve / to suspect /

peng2: friend / depicts two strings of cowries, metaphors for women / making friends, euphemism for another thing /
he2: why not? / what? /
zan1: hairpin (metaphor for male because of the hairpin used by men) // clasp (metaphor for close union) /

FOLLOW SLOWLY.
THERE WILL BE A BIG GAIN.
NO DOUBT.
FRIENDS, WHY NOT PALS?

all the best,

Charly

Source: Sear's Chineseetymology
At: http://www.chineseetymology.org/CharacterEtymology.aspx?submitButton1=Etymology&characterInput=予

Ch.

Last edited:

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
hola Charly! Good to see you again :hug:

Conjunctio, why not? :mischief: To me it does seem like a kind of 'conjunctio' these two figures are submerged in (not to mention how their posture carries a lot of personal importance to me)
Also, I still often link 16 to Lord Ganesha's story that I had written about back when we were doing 16 for Rosada's 'Book of Merit' thread, which carried a lot of 'hairpin' meanings too . . :hide: :p

. . Now, as to whether she is a nun or a bride, hm! I'd say she is a young girl and, like young boys, she carries the possibility of both being a noble or just small -I'd rather leave my imagination free to imagine more scenarios or, nothing at all
Truth is, the image's importance also comes from a different point for me, since just the previous day I was writing something about a jade elephant I have on my desk ;) . . then the next day this photo was sent to me by someone who knew nothing of that . .
So in the line's translation this worked more like:

Due to what was prepared
big gains

It 's like that with friends too . . when you know someone and there is a common trust it can open big open fields to roam. And this cannot happen always or with everyone (surely not with people who are too easily swayed by impressions and doubts)
. . Either way, it's all part of human patterning and all good when our feet are on solid grounds :)

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
Sorry, not the barge in! Rodaki, do you not have a PM feature on your account? If you do, I can't find it. Thanx, Arabella

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
hi Arabella,

I used to but I'd rather keep things in the open here . . since we've pm-ed in the past though, you must also have my email -if it's something that delicate

charly

visitor
Reaction score
Dear Dora:

yu4 also means CHEERY / HAPPY / CONTENT

Words similar to 盍 he2: why not:

he2​: and / together with / with / sum / union / peace / harmony /
he2​: to close / to join / to fit / to be equal to / whole / together / conjunction (astronomy) /
he2​: lotus

Retranslation:

BECAUSE OF CHEERY
BIG GAINS WILL HAVE
NO DOUBT
FRIENDS WILL JOIN [LIKE HAIRS WITH A] CLASP

cartoon_greeting_card_292735.jpg

From: http://newyearsgreetings.blogspot.com/2009/12/happy-new-year.html

All the best,

Charly

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
aaawwwwwww!

dear Charly

I just finished and was uploading this . .

Picture2-1.png

. . in my country we call synchronicity 'a meeting of minds' (sounds quite close to 'conjunctio'! )

Your friend -as always
D

:)

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere an interp. of 26 as a very delicate and 'soft' power and the idea was very much brought back to mind by this story . .

(I only saw the first clip of this podcast btw, I think the rest talks more of autism than the journey . . )

horse boy

happy holy days season!

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
Happy Holidays to you Rodaki. I can't find an email for you unfortunately. I sent a friend request your way but if you don't get PMs anymore, maybe you can't receive it? In any case, all the best for the New Year. XO Arabella

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
Hi arabela.
You probably noticed that I don't frequent the forums as much as I did, so I find it a bit hypocritical -or just plain awkward, for lack of a better word right now- if I keep on adding friends when I'm not around anyways and keep no other contact with them. I enjoy reading your posts whenever I come across them and in the past I did pm you with my genuine help and support with the 55/15 troubles you had (and I enjoyed in return the link to your opera radio show :)). I find that enough as a token for the vibes between us -I'm sure you agree the rest is just plain formality ;). All the best for the new year to you, rodaki.

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
No worries. I just wanted to tell you the invitation had been sent! Happy New Year to you as well! :hug: Arabella

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
oh I see . . well, don't worry, I didn't grant you any expectations, I just checked my notifications and found it :p

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
oh I see . . well, don't worry, I didn't grant you any expectations, I just checked my notifications and found it :p

Very cool. Maybe an unusual discussion to be having in "public" but since we're here...hahhaha.... A few days ago I noticed that i'd never sent a friend request to you, of ALL people. I really couldn't believe it, so i wanted to rectify that right away and then found out you are a bit "incommunicado" at the moment. I've gone through various stages of involvement and totally understand backing off and rethinking, for whatever reason. Even so I'm really GLAD the message got through somehow! :):hug: Arabella

neegula

visitor
Reaction score
Hi arabela.
You probably noticed that I don't frequent the forums as much as I did..

All the best for the new year to you, rodaki.
of course i seize this opportunity-post to quote you and say hallo! :)

it's very nice and warm reading you all again here :hug: :bows:

wish you all the best too!!!

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
22.5 (cactus flower)

:) thanks!

DSCF9351.jpg

(I took this today under a brilliant afternoon sun, great for beginning the year)

happy 2012!

jilt

visitor
Reaction score
Some time ago I was doing some anarchistic things with the basic yi-language. I attached the result, a transcending line

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).