...life can be translucent

Menu

Glossary and more

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
I thought it might be handy to have a thread regarding the "Yi" language and by that I mean any term we come across in this forum or elsewhere.

It can include from the most obvious terms( yin/yang) to terms scholars use at least those that can further our understanding.

There is a place for everyone here to contribute. those not knowing can post their inquires and those knowing can offer their knowledge.

perhaps this list could be of some help.

maria

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
some examples :

Yi : ( meaning of this term)
Yin : ( meaning of this term)
Yang : ( meaning of this term)
Gua : ( meaning of this term)
Ba Gua : ( meaning of this term)
Ben Gua : ( meaning of this term)
Zhi Gua : ( meaning of this term)

or

trigram ( terms , explanations, how we construct it, what info we get ...etc )
hexagram( terms , explanations, how we construct it, what info we get ...etc )
opposite ( terms , explanations, how we construct it, what info we get ...etc )
invert ( terms , explanations, how we construct it, what info we get ...etc )
nuclear ( terms , explanations, how we construct it, what info we get ...etc )

ways to construct a hex

coins
yarrow sticks
marbles

and so on....

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Have you seen my Glossary in Volume Two? Every one of these terms is listed. Not summarized though. Every word used five or more times in in there too.
Things like Ben Gua, Opposite, Invert, etc. are defined in the Dimensions section.

chingching

visitor
Reaction score
doesnt hilary also have a words of change or something similar for download on here somewhere?

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Got it, right now!
Great!!

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Hooray! Thank you for the subtle plug - always welcome.

I'm working on revising the glossary - maybe adding to existing entries, adding my own book to its index (!), and adding some new entries, words or concepts that occur a lot in the Yi. Worked through 'mandate' the other day, and the 'people' who mostly show up in the Image, and next up is 'making an offering'. (It's astonishing how many different words there are for that in such a small book!)

Any more suggestions for words/ things to include?

chingching

visitor
Reaction score
is demon country already in there? ancestors? what do y'all take ancestors to mean, literally relatives or could it be one's past actions?

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Demon-country-wise, I don't really have anything to add to what I put in the book. Ancestors... mm, interesting one! Will have to look for places they're mentioned or implied and see what patterns emerge. Mine are sometimes literal family-tree ancestors, sometimes from a 'lineage', and in hexagram 18 typically some hideous unconscious family pattern.

chingching

visitor
Reaction score
yes, hex 18 ones are the most clear for me, but I suppose because personally i have very little connection with my relatives and never knew any of my grandparents when ancestors come up I don't have any sense of who it might be if it were to be read literally. 38.5 stumps me everytime.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).