...life can be translucent

Menu
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Experiences With Unchanging Castings -- Hexagram 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Your Experiences With Unchanging Castings -- Hexagram 2

We've decided to go ahead with the discussion of Unchanging Hexagrams and our experiences with them, delineating each as a separate thread to make them easy to find in future. Anybody coming upon these discussion is encouraged to add their thoughts and experiences.

There is a separate thread in Exploring Divination for general ideas on unchanging castings entitled "Your Experiences with Unchanging Castings Hexagram 0, so please enter anything that isn't specific to a particular unchanged hexagram over there.

This is the thread for discussing your ideas on Hexagram Two Unchanging, and whatever experiences you have with casting this. I'll start with one of my own, which was in relation to casting Hex 2 UC when enquiring whether I should continue with a volunteer position in opera theatre that I hoped would lead to a career possibility -- because I couldn't afford to do it as an extremely time-consuming hobby, although I just loved everything about the opera.

Receiving Hexagram 2 Unchanging I thought that I'd have to keep going for quite a while before the situation changed, the "endurance of the mare" is the image that I had and thought that this mare had a very long way to travel. On the other hand, Hexagram 2 always gives me the feeling that endurance is an important feature of ultimate success and that remaining receptive to influence along the way is crucial; that sensing, feeling, trusting and persisting while searching the wind for new signs and shifting direction subtly, were critical features of success. So I didn't take what might have seemed the "sensible" course to research a paid job elsewhere and kept trying, dug in further and learned all that i could. In the meanwhile, the company offered a small stipend because they realised what I was doing for them was of signficance, but it was over a year before I was offered a fully paid position. However, from there, it was as though the seeds had been planted rather spectacularly and in another year, I was in charge of production -- as though out of nowhere. I went from starry-eyed volunteer to working directly for the impressario. But it wasn't really so instantaneous I realised on looking back. Everything I'd done in business leading up to the opera contributed, as did a hard year's graft in the wings, taking on every imaginable task no matter how grubby, shouldering full responsibility although essentially unpaid, simply for love of the Art form. The trust that this would be rewarded paid off.

This reminded me of a quote ascribed to the great violinist Jascha Heifetz who said, "It took me more than thirty years to become an overnight success." Something like that was the essence of Hexagram 2 Unchanging in my case.
    Last edited by hilary; February 12th, 2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Arabella's request - tweaking the title for easier searching

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to arabella For This Useful Post:

DragerP (August 16th, 2018), galatea11 (August 1st, 2017), hilary (February 10th, 2012), canislulu (January 1st, 2015), knot (April 28th, 2013), rodaki (September 8th, 2015), TwoGeese (September 3rd, 2018), vakos (January 27th, 2013), Wyndham (March 11th, 2018)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

I haven't encountered so many 2s unchanging, for some reason. But there's one very memorable personal one - already shared on the blog somewhere, I think.

After Mum's death, I received Hexagram 44 about how she kept showing up in my dreams. Thinking that the 'strong woman' was something of hers that needed to become mine, I asked, What was her strength?
    Answer - 2 unchanging.

Besides being a pretty incredible reading to get about my mother, it did refer to some specific characteristics of hers. Most of all, her huge capacity for work. The full scale of this really came home to me as we cleared out her notes. Boxes and boxes and boxes packed with pages packed with her compact handwriting. MA notes. M Phil notes. Sermon notes. Home communion notes. Bible Study class notes, Biblical Ancient Greek class notes. Being-summer-school-secretary notes. Swathes of stuff for editing the parish magazine. Notes on running the Chapel at the last school where she taught. Notes on teaching my brother to read, and teaching French to me. Notes on birthday cake recipes, and sugar-free diabetic recipes she honed and refined for Dad. Notes about what had worked well in her arrangements for my seventh birthday party.

When she had something to do - be it editing a magazine or parenting a child or running a class - she was going to do it properly, and right, and to the full. It wouldn't have occurred to her to ration her strength, and I don't think 'Good enough' was in her vocabulary. She would respond to the demands of the situation and provide everything she could. She wanted to be of service, to be used.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to hilary For This Useful Post:

arabella (February 10th, 2012), chingching (February 11th, 2012), deepwater (February 12th, 2017), galatea11 (August 1st, 2017), hellomoon (March 30th, 2018), canislulu (January 1st, 2015), knot (April 28th, 2013), MoonCatcher (March 30th, 2016), nahema (August 16th, 2015), TwoGeese (September 3rd, 2018), yxeli (June 8th, 2012)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The great image says:
    The basic disposition of earth is female
    The noble one carries everything with great generosity.
    'Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.'
    < Cesar A. Cruz >

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heylise For This Useful Post:

arabella (February 10th, 2012), canislulu (January 1st, 2015), rodaki (September 8th, 2015), TwoGeese (September 3rd, 2018)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The word "service" really struck me Hilary in your story of your Mum. Somehow that's an operative word in Hexagram Two UC for me as well. Absolute devotion. If I hadn't started as a volunteer, which seems a fairly lowly place to be, nothing would have happened. I don't know that there's a particular line that would tell you this in the Yi -- but Two UC does unequivocally in my experience. It will take everything you've got to get there and there is no other way.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arabella For This Useful Post:

answeredquestions (February 11th, 2012), galatea11 (August 1st, 2017), TwoGeese (September 3rd, 2018)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes... the phrase Stephen Karcher uses every time hexagram 2 comes up (as a step of change, nuclear, etc) is 'Be open and provide what is needed.' It does seem to go to the core of the thing.

It makes sense that I would receive an unchanging hexagram for a question like that - the power that had belonged to her, that I might be able to inherit (but certainly hadn't!), so it was currently 'between people' to apply it in the world. Not sure what the 'unchangingness of 2' is for more normal readings is, though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hilary For This Useful Post:

olga (January 8th, 2018)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Someone once said hex 2 unchanging was simply 'it is exactly how it appears' as in its laid out before you.... I agree with that...or it is an empty field for action for you to plant what you want

I often see it as the Yi equivalent to a shrug...as in 'here it is ...nothings hidden...it looks like you think it looks'

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trojina For This Useful Post:

arabella (February 14th, 2012), chingching (February 11th, 2012), TwoGeese (September 3rd, 2018)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Was reading through some archival entries on Unchanging Hexagrams and found this one from six years ago, written by Heylise:

heylise
    Senior Member Join Date: Sep 1970

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me, unchanging hexagrams have had several, often very different meanings. Sometimes that there was nothing I needed to do about a situation, or there was anyway nothing I could do.

The hexagram describes a time or the situation or the general feeling about it, and the lines are much more active. So no changing lines is "no activity", for whatever reason.

Maybe because the situation is at a dead end. Or maybe everyting is fine, and will go well all by itself. Or it will end in disaster, but there is no way stopping that. Or it is so delicate, that I better keep my fingers away from it.

I have had the opposite, hex.1 with all lines changing. I wanted something desperately, but Yi told me, that I would have to conquer so much in order to fulfill my wish, it was beyond my power. The only thing I could really do, was being like 2. Accepting things the way they were. In this case, an unchanging 1 would have made me try again, thinking I had some 1-power.

When the wind does not blow - one can only go with the flow. No use for sails then. And no use for paddles on a big sea, or in big situations.
    Hex.1 with all lines changing was like being in a hurricane, also better to move along instead of trying to fight the storms.

LiSe

14. The Following User Says Thank You to arabella For This Useful Post:

TwoGeese (September 3rd, 2018)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also, Martin had something to say in this same 2006 conversation involving LiSe, referring to the Unchanging hexagram and it's implied mirror image as the "second hexagram." He explains some personal experiences when replying to someone else's comments that a "static" hexagram may indicate that the Yi is "throwing your question back at you":

You wrote: "I think this idea of the static hexagram giving the question back to you is an interesting one. In this particular case, it seems to fit very well with 20 unchanging.. yes.. "what do *you* think?" But I would like to hear more about it, and about how it would apply in other situations.."

In my experience the second hexagram often seems to be a image of the question that I asked, or rather of the question that I really asked. It specifies my question.
    It's like the I ching says "Look, you may not know it, but this is in fact what you asked".
    For example, if I get hex 37 as second hexagram then my question is maybe (although I'm not necessarily aware of it) in fact about role patterns - of men and women or more in general.

I'm not saying that it always works that way, but it is a possibility that I always consider. The second hexagram might be an accurate image of the question that I asked and give me more infomation about that question. So I will look into it from that perspective. Is this indeed what I asked?

In the case of an unchanging hexagram the second hexagram is the same as the first, in a way. So it might be that the I Ching is giving the question back to me.
    If it indeed does that (and again, I'm not saying that this is a hard rule, I don't think there are many rules in oracle land, and most are probably unspeakable anyway ) it is not just giving the question back like a dead mirror. It specifies the question for me. It may give me information that I didn't have until then, at least not consciously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I loved your ideas about 2 UC.. Generosity, service, devotion, those are all concepts that seem to be central whenever i receive this particular hexagram.

Personally, i tend to ask a lot of "what to do" kind of questions. Sometimes, when i'm in a difficult situation, feeling tired or exhausted, 2 might come up to say "there's nothing to do here, you simply have to bare with it, hold and contain the experience until the time is right for it to beggin taking it's actual form..". It feels like some sort of an open hug, where everything has its space and its time and my job is to be that hug and allow things to work themselves out, all the time supporting and providing for what is needed..

There's another type of 2 UC experience however, depending on the context of the question. There are times when i almost hear it saying "Be female.Be a woman! Approach this like a female would..". Like it reminds me of my female nature. Needless to say, the questions in those cases usually involve the "attraction" of a special someone ...And i have to tell you, following this particular advice has never let me down..

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to angeleyes For This Useful Post:

hilary (February 13th, 2012), canislulu (January 1st, 2015), MeltingPot247 (October 3rd, 2018), nahema (August 16th, 2015), rodaki (September 8th, 2015), TwoGeese (September 3rd, 2018)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by angeleyes View Post
    I loved your ideas about 2 UC.. Generosity, service, devotion, those are all concepts that seem to be central whenever i receive this particular hexagram.

Personally, i tend to ask a lot of "what to do" kind of questions. Sometimes, when i'm in a difficult situation, feeling tired or exhausted, 2 might come up to say "there's nothing to do here, you simply have to bare with it, hold and contain the experience until the time is right for it to beggin taking it's actual form..". It feels like some sort of an open hug, where everything has its space and its time and my job is to be that hug and allow things to work themselves out, all the time supporting and providing for what is needed..

There's another type of 2 UC experience however, depending on the context of the question. There are times when i almost hear it saying "Be female.Be a woman! Approach this like a female would..". Like it reminds me of my female nature. Needless to say, the questions in those cases usually involve the "attraction" of a special someone ...And i have to tell you, following this particular advice has never let me down..
    WOW, amazing entry!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to arabella For This Useful Post:

angeleyes (February 12th, 2012)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast