...life can be translucent

Menu

yijing.nl query

stephen12

visitor
Reaction score
Hi there

I recently tried the online i ching divination at yijing.nl. All fine except what do the boxes with '6 at 3', 'above 9' etc. mean? Should I take note of all the messages in there too? I couldn't find anywhere on the website that explains this.

Thanks in advance

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
'6 at 3' means a changing yin line in the third place of a hexagram. 'above 9' means a changing yang line at the top, that is, in the sixth place. Places are counted from the bottom up.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The word "at" in the translation is superfluous and unnecessary.
6 at 3 (Liu San in Chinese) is more clearly and literally translated "Six, Third"
and refers to a changing broken line in the third place.
In the top and bottom lines the grammar is reversed, so literally they read
First Six and Top Six.

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Bradford is right, but because it is for users a bit more clear with the "at" I did it that way.

Personally I never use the 6 and 9, adding up numbers of yang and yin side of coins is for me very counter-intuitive.
Three yang-sides (three heads if you decided that heads is yang) is old yang - changing.
One Head is young yang - not changing.
Three tails is old yin - changing.
One tails is young yin - not changing.

Reaction score
Hopefully this is helpful:
:hug:
I hope I didn't go overboard here :D

The hexagram is built from the bottom up, so when anyone refers to a line, if they say the 5th line, it is the 5th line from the bottom. And also sometimes people refer to the 6th line as the 'top' and the 1st as 'initial'.

_____ "at 6" or "top" or 'above'
_____ "at 5"
_____ "at 4"
_____ "at 3"
_____ "at 2"
_____ "at 1" or "initial" or bottom

When it says 6 or 9, this is refering to the type of line that was recieved.
There are 4 types of lines: 6, 7, 8 and 9.

6 is an old yin line(__ __) that changes to a yang line(____).
7 is a young yang (____).
8 is a young yin (__ __).
9 is an old yang line(____) that changes to a yin line(__ __).

When you build a hexagram, or have a website virtually build you one, it is building it from the bottom up and it is putting 6's, 7's, 8's and/or 9's in the 6 line places.

When doing a reading, you read beginning statement/Judgment of the hexagrams you recieve.

You also read any changing lines aka the old lines(6 and 9).

You do not read the young lines(7 and 8). These lines do not change and are not looked at for the reading.

So you said you recieved '6 at 3', 'above 9' ...
You would read:
  • The translation of the beginning statement(The Judgement) about the first hexagram.
  • The translation of the 3rd line.
  • The translation of the 6th(above) line.
  • And then the translation of the beginning statement(The Judgement) of the second hexagram that it changed into.

:eek: lots to soak in

Also for discussion of an answer you recieved, you can word it like this:
Example: 55.6>30
(Hexagram 55
Changing line 6
Turning to Hexagram 30)

Last edited:
P

peterg

Does anyone know how far back the 6 and 9 go ? Did they come with the Zhouyi text ?

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know how far back the 6 and 9 go ? Did they come with the Zhouyi text ?

They are in the Mawangdui text, so pre-Qin, or at least before 168 bce, and before the Wings were added.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score

If you research the subject you'll come across a fashion or fad current in academia called "Bagua Numerals." It starts with the observation that the way an "eight" was originally written /\ looks a lot like ba, the numeral 8 八
It starts to fall apart immediately after this.
Suddenly the seven must be a one 一 (yi)
The nine must be sort of a ten 十 (shi)
And somehow, probably due to evolving nomenclature in the archaeological record, they conclude that there must have been five kinds of lines instead of four.
The fact that it falls apart logically does not, or course, stop the academics, on account of them being permanently tenured in college and all.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).