...life can be translucent

Menu

Your Experiences With Unchanging Castings -- Hexagram 8

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
This is the continution of the discussion of Unchanging Hexagrams and our experiences with them, delineating each as a separate thread to make them easy to find in future. We move ahead here with 8 Unchanging. Anybody coming upon these discussion is encouraged to add their thoughts and experiences at any point in the future.

There is a separate thread in Exploring Divination for general ideas on unchanging castings entitled "Your Experiences with Unchanging Castings Hexagram 0," so please enter anything that isn't specific to a particular unchanged hexagram over there.

My most outstanding memory of casting hexagram 8 unchanging was a situation that in some ways was a rerun from a few years prior. In the first instance, I'd been pulled over by a State Trooper, presumably because I was driving in some inappropriate way. But, in fact, he "warned" me and just took my name and telephone -- which I discovered later was so that he could ask me on a date. Really steamed my clams as getting pulled over is frightening in a way -- especially if you didn't do anything.

About ten years later I was driving on the highway between Arizona and California and a State Trooper began to follow me -- for miles. As we were in a remote area it was a bit unnerving and I wasn't speeding. My turn signals were working properly. I couldn't figure it out. And when we got somewhere out there in the midst of nothing but tumbleweed, the police car lights starting flashing, he started pulsing the siren at me rather than just setting it off continuously, and feeling very weird about the whole thing, I was pulled over.

My heart was just pounding and I was trying to figure out how you know that a cop really IS a cop? The guy walked up to my door and told me to get out and accompany him back to his car. I thought, if he says get into the car what will I do? I later found out, it's not legal to detain somebody in this way. They must be allowed to stay in their vehicle.

Anyway -- what could I say to this guy in all his State Trooper regalia? He asked me stupid things like how fast I thought I was going and I told him I was certain I was under the speed limit. And he reached into the car and got out a pad to write on. Suddenly I knew, he was going to ask me for my telephone number! i JUST KNEW IT. And the point of getting me out of the car? Who knew what THAt was. I was still scared, but getting so angry that I wanted to kick him. It was obvious he wasn't following any normal police routine, wasn't sure what he planned to do next. I kept glancing down the highway, hoping for a passing car, but none came.

Just as I was deliberating how I could refuse to cooperate with him any further -- there was a loud BANG and the entire front of his car set fire. Right up in flames. He grabbed the radio phone from the front seat through the open window and started madly calling for help, looked at me and said, "Just go on your way Ma'am." And I ran.

Once I got home and got over being scared to death I asked the Yi: What on earth was going on in this strange encounter? I expected something like hexagram 51 -- a frightening episode that I luckily survived. I really had the sense that I had barely escaped huge trouble. But the Yi said, Hexagram 8 Unchanging.

I interpreted this to mean that the man wanted to meet me, but his motives were unbalanced, his method unsound and not thought through -- and since he didn't check himself, the Universe performed that service for him. ;)

Last edited:

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Beautiful story!!

You must look like a moviestar when driving your car! The only time I got pulled over was when I had driving lessons and a very angry policeman asked the instructor if he was out of his mind to teach a child to drive a car?

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
Beautiful story!!

You must look like a moviestar when driving your car! The only time I got pulled over was when I had driving lessons and a very angry policeman asked the instructor if he was out of his mind to teach a child to drive a car?

I have a feeling since I have no sense of direction and looked confused all the time they just figure I'm vulnerable and an easy mark!

A CHILD driving a car....hilarious!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I was almost 30 back then... :bag:

The nice side of it was, that all my life people gave me 20 years less than I actually was.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm Abellas example needs some thinking about

I too have found on asking about what would appear rather unpleasant experiences that when one asks 'what was that all about' one often gets a very unexpected answer. I guess we don't see the whole picture in anything that happens half the time

I asked about 10 days ago if I should wholly commit to something and got hex 8 unchanging. I felt it was both giving the question back to me and saying 'yes' at the same time

sometimes its hard to explain how one understands an answer

I'm not sure though...I do feel its a choice I can take or not.

Yi respects our autonomy in so many ways and we try to lose it in so many ways :D

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
I have to admit Trojan, casting 8 unchanging left me scratching my head for a while. And maybe I interpreted it wrong anyway. I just think that you are asked to look closer and examine motives or resources with 8 unchanging, to imagine how is it supposed to "come together" and can it work or -- am i prepared? After the casting I did I felt more that the guy was dumb more than that he had bad motives. He hadn't looked at how he would come across at all and that he was using his presumption of authority in entirely the wrong way. When I thought about it I realised these guys sit out there with nothing to do all day long, get bored and lonely, et voila. Stupid plan that wasn't really thought through with completely inappropriate motive.

In short, I wonder if Hexagram 8 unchanging isn't something to do with the special human endowment of free will and how we exercise it?

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Just reviving where we left with our experiences of how unchanging hexagrams played out. From what I can see this is where we stopped. At some point Arabella asked if I'd carry it on through the hexagrams and now as Hilary has agreed to sticky all these threads (after new year) I thought we might continue :D

People can add on to these threads any time and when they are stickies it will be a good resource on the mystery of how those unchanging hexagrams have worked out in people's lives.

I'll start a new one for hexagram 9....I can't see that we have a thread for that yet

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Can't say that I understand the hex 8 in Arabella's wonderful story. For me, hex 8 has usually been a reminder not to let myself become too isolated, an encouragement to reach out to others and make friends, else risk having none when trouble is on the horizon.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
But sometimes Yi throws you these weird answers doesn't it

I read Arabella's story again and wondered if the hex 8 showed her very much in tune, in unity with her environment at that time. Who knows perhaps she had unseen helpers...she was scared and angry, she didn't know what to do....and then his engine caught fire :eek:

Thats pretty strange isn't it. I mean generally engines don't just randomly catch fire do they ?

charly

visitor
Reaction score
Yeah, that's pretty strange.

Hi, Ginnie:

All H.8 judgement is pretty strange. It ends with a strange sequence often translated like that the latecomers will suffer misfortune but that literally says:

後夫凶
hou4 fu1 xiong1
BEHIND [A] MAN, HORRIBLE!
... or after a husband, ominous.

Fu1 means a husband or a man in general. It´s said to depict a person with a hairpin, proper of a tall man. (1) (2)

It´s not good for a woman to go behind a man or a husband. Say, the opposite to the classical chinese standard, maybe a feminist hidden advertising or a remnant of ancient matriarchy.

Yours,

Charly

P.D.
(1) Maybe a man with a CLUB in the HEAD.
(2) Also said to depict a BIG HEADED MAN, maybe an euphemism, but that´s another story.
Ch.

Last edited:

charly

visitor
Reaction score
There is another literal transalation for 後夫 that's compliant with male supremacy ideology: SECOND HUSBAND. To take a second husband? Horrible!

For a widowed wife the social mandate was NOT TO REMARRY.

Of course, can be also the intention of the wife: not to commit the same mistake twice.

The whole second part of the H.8 judgment says:

UNPEACEFUL REBELS (1) WILL COME
AFTER [A] HUSBAND, HORRIBLE
(or SECOND HUSBAND, HORRIBLE)

(1) FANG is applied to people form the unsubjugated lands, say, barbarians.

Pest after pest. But not all the judgement is negative.

(to be continued)

Charly

kylied1988

visitor
Reaction score
i argree wth ginnie because i asked what are the chances of me and my ex getting back together i had hex 8 unchanging, and from what i read in that divinition was not isolate from people especially friends as i have been doing. i also believe the reason why i had hex 8. because the sitution has not changed between me and my ex because he has returned to me many of times. he is in the wrong. (holding together) its all about the hold that that person had on you that evening by keeping you in the car. came up with some stupid reason to pull u over ie seeking union.. thats my view on this but im new to this so could be very wrong.

chibi chan

visitor
Reaction score
Lost Earrings

I recently went on a trip and packed a small pouch with a couple of pair of earrings. I put the pouch in my purse. I didn't end up wearing the earrings during the trip.

When I returned home, I couldn't find the pouch :eek:. I searched in all my luggage, emptied out most of the contents of my purse (my purse is really large...I'm surprised I don't have shoulder issues). I didn't remember seeing the pouch through most of my trip. I was in a bit of a panic.

I thought maybe I should call all the places where I had gone with my purse (silly idea). I decided to start by consulting the Yi, so I asked: Where are my earrings? I received 8 unchanging.

I didn't understand what this meant and I decided to let this answer sink in a bit before asking clarifying questions (I do that when I don't understand....in other words, I ask a lot of clarifying questions).

A few days later, I was rummaging through my purse for something else and guess what I found stuffed into the bottom of a small side pocket? The pouch with the earrings :D.

I still don't really understand the answer. I would have expected some answer about not looking and that it would return itself or something to that effect, but no.

If anybody has any insight, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Chibi Chan

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
hex 8 here seems to have been saying that the pouch was with you, not separate, part of you, belonging with you. The pouch was your belonging, still united with you.

what a great example of 8 unchanging, as an object belonging to and united with you.

The glasses you are wearing in your picture, do you ever lose those ?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I still don't really understand the answer. I would have expected some answer about not looking and that it would return itself or something to that effect, but no.

it couldn't return since it had never left. Mmmm yes this is a really interesting insight into how hex 8 uc manifested for you.

ETA sometimes it can be helpful with questions like this to simply look at the shape of the hexagram. Hex 8 might be seen as a pouch with drawstring, the unbroken line being the string. However you found it stuffed in to a small side pocket....but might that resemble the look of hex 8 ?

Hmm in this case I think it's a strong clear answer of how your belonging belonged with you as the text indicates. But sometimes it can be worth just viewing the answer as a picture.

Last edited:

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
hexagram8-bi.jpg

looks like a handbag

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Think we crossed posts...similar ideas. And of course a handbag is very much a hex 8 kind of an object.

Well I think mine is more of a 45uc object....I stagger under the weight of it sometimes

chibi chan

visitor
Reaction score
Anemos & Trojan,

Thanks for the quick replies. It makes perfect sense now that you explain it.

Trojan...No, I've never lost any spectacles, but I use cheaters (not prescription yet...you can get them at the drug store and they're generally inexpensive). If I did lose them, it wouldn't be a big deal. That's probably why I haven't lost any of them, although I sat on a pair.

Thanks you guys for all your help...Trojan I really love your work on the Unchanging Hexagram thread.

Chibi Chan

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
yes :) and i recalled a discussion b/w the different words UK and US use for a handbag/purse

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Chibi, I love how your example compares to Arabella's experience at the beginning of the thread. It's interesting to see how 8uc shows up for people

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
we cross posting.. the spirit of h8 .. going to bed :p

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
yes :) and i recalled a discussion b/w the different words UK and US use for a handbag/purse

oh yes it took me many years, pre google, to understand what Americans meant by purse.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
A few days later, I was rummaging through my purse for something else and guess what I found stuffed into the bottom of a small side pocket? The pouch with the earrings :D.

Maybe it meant that the pouch was "bonded" or "bound to" the purse? That might be a pretty good description of a purse's small side pocket.

What stuck out to me is that you had already looked through the purse so thoroughly, taking everything out of it, and didn't find what you had every reason to think was there. Yi might have been saying something like, "You're on the right track, but it's not IN the purse, it's BOUND TO the purse." (After reading the very beginning of your post, and knowing ahead of time what the answer was, I expected to read that you'd found the earrings in the purse's lining (if it has a lining), but a small side pocket is sort of the same idea?)

This is the kind of reading I never know how to feel about. On the one hand, it does answer your question rather marvellously. On the other hand, that's almost certainly true only in hindsight, and in the meantime it's not the least bit reassuring. [Edited: not reassuring if you can't lay your hands on the pouch - after paying better attention to Trojan's post, I see her point that it's telling you it's not gone forever.] Chances are slim (I think) that people would understand it in such a way that they could act on it.

Other possible alternatives might be hex 24 (Return), as in, "Return to where you already looked," or hex 48 (Source), as in, "It's where you thought it was; it's where it's 'supposed' to be," or even hex 20, "Keep LOOKing [in that handbag!]."

(I also never know how to feel about situations for which, when they're over, I can think of more useful readings than the one I got. :confused: I mean, surely Yi knows when we're not going to understand what it's telling us, so...?)

Trojan's interpretation of the pouch being "still united" with you - could it maybe have been trying to tell you two things at once? That the pouch of earrings was "bound" to the purse, and, also, "worry not, you will be 'reunited' with it"? (Again, I doubt I'd ever get that without already knowing the answer, but it would be really clever of Yi :D.)

Last edited:

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
Well I think mine is more of a 45uc object....I stagger under the weight of it sometimes

lol, will talk about mine when we reach 64 :D

I really like those reading about lost object for they are usually "clean" and makes you wonder about those coincidence.

Lavalamp

visitor
Reaction score
I hope this late comment on Hex 8 does not mean misfortune!
Hex 8 "Holding together." Maybe more like possessing or "Holding on to." The policeman was "Holding" Arabella. Chibi Chan was literally "Holding on to" the lost earrings. Some situations between men and women, women do not like the condition of being "Held", possessed, they hate it.
-LL

Yasmin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I got 8UC when I was on holiday 1 hour away from where several people I know live. I toyed with the idea of spending a couple of days there to catch up. But I wasn't sure if I wanted to brave the heat and the road to go there, or even if I wanted to see them at all. So I asked "what if I don't go?" And got 8UC. I interpreted it as "hold together only with the right people. Those who belong will come to you". I had a very peaceful holiday, and indeed the people I really wanted to see "came to me". Some deliberately came to visit. Others I saw serendipitously because they happened to be here. It worked out for the best!

That said, I wondered about Ginnie's interpretation, making sure you don't get isolated... Would I have reconnected with more of the people I like if I had gone there? Probably. Perhaps that was my misfortune? But then again, I could have run into people I really didn't want to see...

Either way, I did what felt right at the time. I have no regrets. I "held together with myself" so to speak. I suppose my general feeling about 8UC is "be true to yourself, hold only with the people who feel right. That may mean keeping your own company sometimes, as long as it feels right".

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
So I asked "what if I don't go?" And got 8UC. I interpreted it as "hold together only with the right people. Those who belong will come to you".

Sometimes it is as if the I Ching has spoken to us and we can almost hear it; that's how loud and clear the message is. Yasmin's experience sounds like one of those times.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Good thread on 8uc here http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?21733-Hex-8-unchanging I like this quote from Bradford from that thread especially how we must 'follow our feelings home, like water gathers.'

It might have happened if it was right.
It didn't happen. It wasn't right. Now it's late.
Try to sense where you really belong and go there instead.
Note that that said try to sense where you belong, not try to go there.
With Hex 8 we drop hopes, fantasies, plans and expectations -
they get in the way. We have to sort of follow our feelings home,
like water gathers.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).