...life can be translucent

Menu

Information on changing lines

cosmichaos

visitor
Reaction score
Hey,

I was just wondering what it means when you have more than one changing line in your primary hexagram. For example, let's say I got Hexagram 3.1.6. The first line seems as if I have the determination and will to make something happen, but line 6 seems as if it means that I will fail or not really succed with what it is I intend to happen. Does it mean that first, I will feel that motivation and then ultimately fall short? Or does it mean that I have a choice between the two rather than both working in unison with each other for the outcome? Another I pulled is Hexagram 28.2.5. That's the one that kind of got me questioning as the two seem somewhat contrary, yet complementary towards each other. I was just wondering about this and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

iams girl

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Cosmi,

Imo, a complementary aspect can generally be found, such as:

3.1 Remain persevering
3.6 Even if, or when, one feels like giving up

28.2 Favorable to join with someone/others “beneath” one
28.5 Unfavorable to demand other options instead

cosmichaos

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply iams girl. That makes a lot of sense. I was always confused as to what the changing lines meant and how to interpret them. I always just use the usual sites from google. Thank you again.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hey,

I was just wondering what it means when you have more than one changing line in your primary hexagram. For example, let's say I got Hexagram 3.1.6. The first line seems as if I have the determination and will to make something happen, but line 6 seems as if it means that I will fail or not really succed with what it is I intend to happen. Does it mean that first, I will feel that motivation and then ultimately fall short? Or does it mean that I have a choice between the two rather than both working in unison with each other for the outcome? Another I pulled is Hexagram 28.2.5. That's the one that kind of got me questioning as the two seem somewhat contrary, yet complementary towards each other. I was just wondering about this and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Look at the change pattern...that is the pattern the changing lines make :)

Lines 1 and 6 would look like 27 if all the changes lines were yin...it would look like 28 if all the change lines were yang.

I think the pattern is very important...I wouldn't necessarily interpret lines 1 and 6 as seperate events...they make a circle don't they and its been said that when lines 1 and 6 change the situation is moved through very quickly. If there were a line in between it shows something cropping up along the way perhaps.

If you also see the pattern in the change lines I think you have a good guide to the bascic fundamental thrust of the answer.

If you have 28.2.5>62...then if you changed the changing lines to all yang lines and the rest to yin lines it would be hex 29...if you changed all changing lines to yin it would be hex 30. I understand the yang change pattern is the way you may 'get into' the reading and the yin change pattern is the 'way out' of it...so you come into it via the danger of 29 and you leave the situation via hex 30 Clarity.

An easier way is just too look at the pattern, I mean it stands out, you already noticed it. When lines 1 and 5 change for example is easy to see theres an underlying hex 3 yang pattern there. If oyu made those changinglines yin and the rest yang it would be 50...I think

You can use this alongside seeing the lines as progress through a story ...or even alternatives, but what I have found is its really helpful to note the change pattern...otherwise every time you get lines 1 and 6 you are going to end up thinking you will always experience line 6 after line 1 and that isn't the case...sometimes the pattern is a very important key to understanding the answer.

zhan1

visitor
Reaction score
Hi cosmichaos,

The line texts are generally very concise, sometimes only having two characters, so it’s understandable that some would see them as elements that can be added together. However, closer scrutiny shows that some are very obviously contradictory, and this is the kind of evidence that is not so easily glossed over. In my view, these lines, however brief, represent separate situations that are variations on a theme. I think it’s also important to recognize that the Chinese have in the past developed ways of focusing on one line when a response has multiple changing lines. For more discussion of multiple lines you can read an article I posted at:

http://elementalpha.blogspot.com/2006_10_12_archive.html

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Every situation has different aspects, and they don't all ask for a similar treatment. One thing has to be done, another one avoided. One can be positive as it is and needs no change, another one opens an opportunity if you act on it.

The aspects go from very tangible or real to very intangible or spiritual. Lines 1 and 6 are "outside the situation" because reality (bottom line) is very difficult to change, and spirit (top line) is very difficult to grab. It is still very important to reckon with them. Lines 2 and 5 have to do with contact with others, in different ways. Line 3 with emotions, line 4 with decisions. Not one of all those things should be skipped. The changing ones tell you where you have to focus on most.

Many lines changing: you got a lot of work to do.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone :)

Many lines changing: you got a lot of work to do.

An example: Hexagram 1 changing to Hexagram 52.
Another thread currently with the same sort of topic:
http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?t=13829

If I got 1.1.2.4.5 > 52 ...

... I would read it as, I am coming from a place of 52. I usually see the relating or second hexagram as 'where I am coming from. So it is backwards to what is normally thought.

The energy is like 52 that I am working with currently. A lot of the yin energy in my current situation would need to shift to yang because the advice is to get to a place where the energy is like 1. The lines, be them seperate and different approaches, are all things that need dealt with in their own ways and applied to various aspects of the personal situation in question.

This example is a lot of yin energy changing to yang. But sometimes it is not all one changing to the other. Sometimes it is scattered. That is why they are dealt with individually. You might say, "ok, this line reminds me of THIS aspect of the situation, so I will apply the advice of the line to that aspect"... "and this other line reminds me of a more broad scope of the situation, I will apply the advice to the broad scope of the situation"...

The adventure can be quite personal when it comes to what you choose to apply the different aspects to. The imagination and heart can help guide the advice to the right place. And the line positions can also help you figure out the realms in which you are dealing with.

Like LiSe describes:
The aspects go from very tangible or real to very intangible or spiritual. Lines 1 and 6 are "outside the situation" because reality (bottom line) is very difficult to change, and spirit (top line) is very difficult to grab. It is still very important to reckon with them. Lines 2 and 5 have to do with contact with others, in different ways. Line 3 with emotions, line 4 with decisions.

She also has more things about this on her page under 'Structures':
http://www.yijing.nl/i_ching/index.html

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).