Thread: Journal Software Survey

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)

About the fluffy bunnies...
    http://www.disapprovingrabbits.com/

(Sorry, Justin.)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

That looks like a very discerning kind of rabbit The kind of rabbit I'd almost consider as having as my avatar.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by answeredquestions View Post

Trojan still has not confirmed she will be changing her's...
    Having thought about it long and hard, and weighed up the pros and cons and so on

I have decided I cannot sacrifice the crab.....its my totem...

If that means the custard bellied bird must stay....sigh, then so be it

However I think you will change him soon anyway.....

...you are already changing
    ......you are already changing
    ........you are already changing

....see thats the hypnotic power of the crab.

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow....but custard birds time is limited
    of that I can assure you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oliver the bunny... my favorite

....those cute little bunnies sure have an attitude

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This is still my go-to journalling software:
    http://www.hermetica.info/Journal.jpg

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

LOL yes something tells me that may remain my go-to journalling software.

The biggest obstacle to recording casts for me is indolence so would software help with that given I would still have to transfer answers from scraps of paper and old envelopes etc to the software.

If I can't manage to transfer them off scraps of paper to all to my big journals will I manage to transfer them to the software ?

OTOH, currently, each time I want to access a cast from a few years ago that I know is in a journal with notes etc I have to find a ladder, climb the ladder, balance precariously on ladder for 10 minutes trying to find the right journal, climb down the ladder, brush cobwebs out of hair, put ladder away...only to find I have the wrong journal which means getting the ladder back out.

I'm thinking this new software has to be an improvement on that

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)

My first few years of journals are on paper, and I even had a go at indexing them... but that doesn't make them searchable, and doesn't make my handwriting legible either. I'm assuming Brad has an absurdly capacious memory and legible handwriting.

I'm wondering whether we can contrive some way of adding readings via mobile thingies, Iphones and stuff. Maybe use the phone to photograph the back-of-envelope reading, and add the photo to the software, or something. Of course, it's easy for me to have ideas... making them happen is Justin's department.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Truth be told, all of my notes are kept on Mac's TextEdit in RTF files, one page for each idea, labeled so they list properly, organized in folders and subfolders. I think RTF is the easiest of the WP formats.
    I did my whole Matrix translation, including all of the word tracking, on notebook paper, without a computer. Barring a coronal mass ejection, never again.

I find keeping a journal a real investment. It does require work entering the readings, notes and outcomes, but there is a great deal to be learnt from looking back. The big advantage of computerized journals is that they are searchable. So for example, when I get a particular hexagram and line in a new reading, it is great having a facility where I can quickly view all my past readings where they had also come up (and what actually happened after the reading). I was lucky in that I have been keeping records on my computer journal almost as long I have been regularly practising I Ching.

Like Hilary says, the new software should help the data entry issues through the ability to store photographs of existing reading recorded on paper notes, and the facility whereby notes can be added via a smart phone. The latter could come in very handy for recording outcomes and developments relating to readings, which occur during the day, whilst users are away from the computer.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

I'm channeling Truffles the rabbit under trance state

"At this point in time I can't see myself taking a photograph of a cast and I strongly disaprove of the practise. It seems a bit unecessary to me. I mean what are brains for. What is the human race coming to !? "

Out of trance

Well I agree with Truffles to some extent. I can't see myself taking a photo of a cast....don't have a smart phone....but presumably this would appeal to many more technologically advanced modern people....and even myself in the future ?

I'm just hoping this software doesn't get to be so complex I can't figure out how to use it. I think thats mainly what Truffles was trying to say. I think he may have been masking his sense inadequacy with modern technology under the veneer of disaproval.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast