...life can be translucent

Menu

Line Positions

yxeli

visitor
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently read that line pairs and their positions play a big part in helping to interpret a reading, as in lines 1,6 , lines 2,5 and lines 3.4.

lines 2 and 5 are the ones i already know about, but the 'extremities' (1,6) and the heaven/earth lines (3,4) are the ones that are getting me.

I read somewhere that lines 1 and 6 are 'outside' the situation? Is this a generally accepted way of looking at them? If you have lines 1 and 6 moving, does it mean that the main theme of a hexagram doesnt apply? I also read somewhere here that lines 1,6 moving indicate that you should take the 'whole' of the hexagram into account. (judgement and image?) two completely contradictory ways of interpreting 1.6. moving.

And what if you receive 3 and 4. Does this mean, then, that you are in the 'centre' of the theme? These lines are at the top/bottom of lower/upper trigrams respectively, and I have read that lower trigram represents the 'strength, inner momentum' which is needed to reach the outer (action?) or upper trigram. so when you have 3,4, moving, is there anything experienced diviners automatically assume?

I know each individual cast is different and needs to be interpreted as such, Just wondering if there is some generally accepted things i can keep in mind when receiving these line positions.

Thanks!

Yx

sergio

visitor
Reaction score
Dear Yx;
These issues regarding the lines were discussed In a recent post here http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?t=15077
However you are raising some other issues connected to them.To me moving line pairs are important whenever you take the two pairs of hexagrams into account for your reading i.e. #3,2 would then correspond to#4.5 thus amplifying the advice of the previous line reading. Another case of paired moving lines would be the famous fan yao in which #20.5 becomes #23 but you read the text of both lines five in each hexagram. That they are important in the way you mentioned is because of their attached symbolism and, might I add, every school has its own particular interpretation. The official view about the lines is clearly explained in Jamsgirl's post in the previous discussion, a few extra official interpretations -both of them perfectly valid- are explained in my post, too. Ultimately it is up to you to choose which one of them suits you and use it in your readings.
Sergio

yxeli

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks Sergio, Yeah, I noticed someone had just posted a similar thread after i'd posted mine!

To me moving line pairs are important whenever you take the two pairs of hexagrams into account for your reading i.e. #3,2 would then correspond to#4.5 thus amplifying the advice of the previous line reading.

Hold up::

so if i received hex 3, lines 2, 3 moving, i would read hex 5, lines 4 and 5 too?

And if i got one line moving, but in the 3,4, pair? hex 62 line 3 moving, to hex 16. would i read line 4 hex 16?

and hex 1 line 1 changing, do i read hex 44, line 6 too?

Thanks

Yx

sergio

visitor
Reaction score
Yx;
The hexagrams of the I Ching are arranged in rotational pairs I.E.hexagram #44(0.1.1.1.1.1) when rotated (turn up side down)becomes#43(1,1,1,1,1,0)Therefore if you get 43,2 and 43,4 it resonates with 44.5 and 44,3 so In your case you received hex. #3. 2 and 3 you then read hex. 4 lines 3 and 4.This is how the moving lines work in the rotational pairs approach.
The fan yao is yet a different approach altogether. In this approach if you received hex#3. 2 and 3 you can then read the same lines in hex.#5. These are two different approaches and may yield contradictory responses at worst or too much information thus clouding the issue at hand therefore in my opinion is a matter of you deciding what method work for you and stick to that one. Which one to choose is entirely up to you, just be clear about how they work. Experiment with the two of them until you feel comfortable with one.
Sergio
P.S:There is still another approach to interpreting moving lines called the steps of change. In this approachfor your hex#3.2 and3 you read line 2 only and change itso that it becomes hex#60 from which you read line 5 only so that upon then changing finally becomes hex 5( no lines to read here), AS you see many different roads to follow....

yxeli

visitor
Reaction score
ah yes, rotational pairs! Thats the method i've seen here and had no idea how people got there...Thanks sergio for clearing this up for me.

Yx

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).