...life can be translucent

Menu

please suggest books for aditional reading

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
Greetings, this looks like the right place to ask of recommendations for additional reading material in order to understand the I Ching better.
It is frustrating for me to be unable to read from the original and I wonder if I will ever be able to fully grasp the lines because of it..so I would need to read about the philosophy and the history surrounding the book more.
My art history education was mosty about Europe, China almost nothing at all.
I would be happy to know of the books available that would help a western reader with the right amount of info, something that is easy available.
Especially from members who are native or have insight of differentiation in that western/eastern sense, if possible.
Thank you in advance, d.:bows:

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Very, very good question. I'll move your thread somewhere it'll be seen!

To start the ball rolling - I'd recommend reading the Shijing, Book of Songs.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
C.A.S. Williams. Outlines of Chinese Symbolism and Art Motives. New York: Dover Publications, Inc., 1976.
Cecilia Lindqvist. China: Empire of Symbols. New York: Addison-Wesley, 1989.
Michael Nylan. The Elemental Changes. Albany: State University of New York Press, 1994.

sergio

visitor
Reaction score
This one is really good, The authors use to have the full book on line, pity they do not have it anymore. But it is really worth having.
http://www.amazon.com/Yijing-Wondering-Wandering-Jane-Schorre/dp/0965771628
And here is a review of the book plus a link in it to LiSe's site also very much into what you are looking for in terms of information about the pictographs...and much more taking in consideration LiSe's excellent work.
http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/I_Ching_community/e-answers71.html#hr
Sergio

charly

visitor
Reaction score
My art history education was mosty about Europe, China almost nothing at all.
I would be happy to know of the books available that would help a western reader with the right amount of info, something that is easy available...
Hi, Dragona:

Full view available in Google Books:

Michael Sullivan:The Arts of China.
http://books.google.com.ar/books/about/The_arts_of_China.html?id=jPrpAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

Joseph Esherick,Mary Backus: Chinese Local Elites and Patterns of Dominance
http://books.google.com.ar/books?id...oGk9ATl74mJAg&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Sample views Google Books:

Victor H. Mair, Anne Birrell, etc.: The Columbia History of Chinese Literature
See Language and Script, pages 19-58
http://books.google.com.ar/books?id...v=onepage&q=inauthor:"Victor H. Mair"&f=false

Endymion Wilkinson: Chinese History - A Manual
[Maybe can get a free copy here: http://www.ebook.downappz.com/?page=book&id=25611. You´ll need a free djvu reader]

Yours,

Charly

P.D.:
I advice to read Anne Birrell´s In the voice of women, 6th. chapter of «Women, the Book, and the Godly»
Also in Google Books: http://books.google.com.ar/books?id...&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=anne birrell&f=false
Ch.

Last edited:

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
Good, keep it coming :)
Internet shopping is a problem because the shipping costs are up to 3 times bigger then the book price.:mad:..not impossible but does not make much sense :confused:
Dao and Zen in I Ching for dummies?:blush:

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
Carl Jung's Man and His Symbols is an old classic which seems overlooked these days, but which I still feel makes an important companion to IC with insight into the psychology of symbolism. Plus it's a nice coffee table book, especially the older, larger ones.

I personally have found Joseph Campbell's work on mythology to correlate and enhance understanding of IC symbolism as is relates to our practical psychology - presented in colorful story form.

Also a layman's exposure to quantum physics through the later editions of "Down the Rabbit Hole", "What the Bleep do we know?" and available online material, departs from history as the foundation of comprehending more about IC and provides provocative ideas regarding how all of this stuff actually operates on a subatomic level in the present. It's very compatible if approached with an opened mind.

I find concepts within world religions to also be compatible and mutually reflective and illuminating. This includes the Upanishads, Bible, Tanakh, various Buddhist schools, Taoism, Humanism, Existentialism, Muslim; the specific names aren't important, what's important is that they all point to the same thing, but give it different names. Pick your poison. Or, just view life itself as the book, the religion, the reason. Then everything you read will enlighten you.

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
Also a layman's exposure to quantum physics through the later editions of "Down the Rabbit Hole", "What the Bleep do we know?" and available online material, departs from history as the foundation of comprehending more about IC and provides provocative ideas regarding how all of this stuff actually operates on a subatomic level in the present. It's very compatible if approached with an opened mind.

I find concepts within world religions to also be compatible and mutually reflective and illuminating.

Oh, I agree that one has to stay open minded. Hard to get anywhere if not. I did get some humanist education, but the differences of the philosophy and customs with history relating issues can be so confusing for a beginner. That was my query here.

Just yesterday found out that my old university colleague did buy a book and tossed a few times with help of a better informed friend but herself found it hard to understand, said it was too abstract.:p

proserpine

visitor
Reaction score
Some books to enable comprehension

Hi Dragona.
As some members have already said, there are many books that may give you background on Chinese philosophy.
And understanding Chinese history as well as Eastern religions helps too..

What I want to suggest is, that as I read the I Ching, I understood it more.
At first it may seem vague, or dream-like,( perhaps too abstract as your colleague said) but if you suspend more linear thinking, and go with your gut reactions, you may find, that like when reading poetry--you start to "get it" more.

I can suggest some interpretations of the I Ching ..some that others love, some that may seem too simple, even silly.
However, that is exactly how I gained a broader *and* deeper understanding of what I was reading!:)

Try (if you don't have these aready that is!) Carol K.Anthony's _Guide to the I Ching_
Now, she and another writer, Hannah Moog, have a completely new version, too, that is incredible, but *very* different, and not as easy to understand at all..
I still recommend the older one for someone newer to the IC;as I say..I still use it too, myself.

I like Sam Reifler's ideas a lot, especially when I was young and not even as new to the IC.(in the 70s).. it's especially meaningful if you do understand Western sociological tendencies and history..
His is not one you'll want to consider your main I Ching, no.
But great clarifying concepts for understanding readings in a more personal way, as you're developing your understanding more.

And there's Steve Marshall's _Mandate of Heaven_ which is not an interpretation or translation of the I Ching, but discusses Chinese history and legend.
It helps one to understand words and concepts used in the I Ching, that may not mean anything to we Westerners otherwise.
Steve Marshall also has a website in which he talks about and reviews various translations of the I Ching, as well as any related material.Very interesting and comprehensive if you're looking for different viewpoints and ways to further your understanding.

And of course Hilary Barrett's I Ching course, here is excellent. (really!)
And I was already a quite seasoned I Ching reader and diviner myself. ;) She is wonderful!
:bows:

Last edited:

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks, very much. Ordered Hilary`s book, just and C. Anthony`s was my first IC book.
I need to read it way more, and asked here in forum if someone knows of it in the audio form - I am used in having paper in my hands - my mettier, after all.
I don`t find the text to be abstract, but putting it in some kind of a context, makes a huge difference in understanding, providing the context is the correct one.
Unless the line is vague, as in say 14.6, as I wondered about before.
I still don`t think I am overly obsessed with the IChing, I just try not to rely on it completely as the sound reasoning in some matters can be enough; so it marvels me how I dream of lines without knowing them by heart.

I hope others find this thread beneficial too and I would welcome them to jump with their possible questions as well, now that I have got your attention.:):bows:

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
Hillary`s book

Been busy, received Hilary`s book:D
It reminds me of a textbook and I like that. It is very nicely done with red/black contrast and illustrations so I cannot write in it and mess the elegant concept of it:p.
I like that it has a contextual moment for each hex and very concrete interpretations of the lines.
(So far only 3 printers mistakes I have noticed, but I suppose, there have to be some.)
Suddenly, everything looks much easier, understanding the lines wise. Can we bare too easy, I wonder?:rolleyes:
I will make use of your book, I am sure.Thank you for writing it and you definitively should write more, only more plane looking edition please, so scribbling within the pages won`t fell wrong.:mischief::bows:

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad you like it! I suggest colouring in the pictures, as a prelude to some serious in-margin-scribbling ;).

Do tell me about the printer's errors. When it first came out I would've entreated you not to tell me, but I've got a bit of distance now and I can happily add them to my notes of things I want to change.

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
Glad you like it! I suggest colouring in the pictures, as a prelude to some serious in-margin-scribbling ;).
heheh...but I like it just the way it is - the page setup. Feels disrespectful to mess with someone`s composition, as if someone would paint over my painting I was proud of or something. I think you held back a lot and tried to be concise, wish there was muuuch more comments etc.:)
May I ask where the illustrations come from?

Don`t be put down by the printers, it is something most people would not notice, kinda of semi-professional eye here.
My copy lacks the "last" page - there is the text and then the covers, should be one blank page in between.
"Key to the Hexagrams", page 16, lacks "upper trigram" written in.
On the top of each page, on the left side, there is a red bagua sign placed a bit too much to the right, when compared to the position of the hexagram on the other side.
Just for the repeated edition sake;), my friend who is a pro liked it, so don`t stress it, you know it is darn good and handsome book (and not expensive to that).:bows:

I wonder...have you tossed for the opinion on the book - from the source? :)

Last edited:

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
And you should go first Tom:D
I asked once before when is your book due.

I do have my 'book', Dragona. It's a folder labeled 'commented hexagrams' with a textfile for each hexagram. Each textfile contains comments on the visual features of each hexagram and line, the text of several translations, sometimes the Chinese text, and links to discussion of hexagram and lines. I consult it and expand it when questions about interpretation come up. I think everyone should write such a book that reflects their personal interests.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
I think the implication was that you should publish it, Tom ;) . (Though Change Circle members should check the Jewelbox...)

There are a whole lot of I Ching books overdue for publication around this forum. (*cough*Luis*cough*)

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
"It's a folder labeled 'commented hexagrams' with a textfile for each hexagram. Each textfile contains comments on the visual features of each hexagram and line, the text of several translations, sometimes the Chinese text, and links to discussion of hexagram and lines."
that is the best thing...and perhaps put notes together, as Clarity members and divinators with long time practice...that would be worth gold...wonder if Hilary has rights to sum something like that up -comments shared in the forum? Never looked into that...just came to mind...

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know it, but I've just been reading the Google preview. It looks much better than its title, doesn't it? I think his suggestions for reading practice (6 or 7 hexagrams for one question?!) must come of not being interested in the deep patterns and connections to be found from one hexagram. It wouldn't be humanly possible to do both. But... why not try out something different?

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Hi back,just wonderin if someone has an informed opinion on this book, please?
Ty, d.
http://www.worldcat.org/title/i-chi...k-of-answers-for-changing-times/oclc/49680081

One highly negative review at Amazon:

"The author has not provided a new translation of the Chinese text. Instead he provides his personal interpretation of the meaning of the text that others have done the work to translate. He also provides a sneering introduction that is dismissive of the translators (from which his work is derived) and of other good-faith efforts to interpret the I Ching for an English-speaking audience. The result of his approach and his arrogance is a mess. . . . This Benson interpretation, however, tends to only tangentially relate to the scholarly translations or other interpretations. Sometimes it's similar but often it shoots off on a tangent. It is a wholly unreliable source for information about what the Chinese I Ching text is saying. Avoid it if your interested in the I Ching."

Save your money.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll admit... I didn't get as far as any actual translation in the preview...

cyberlight369

visitor
Reaction score
Unrelated Question

Hello.
I have no suggestions for recommended books about Yijing, but I would like for you to recommend something to me.

I am curious about the source of the last line in your post, the one in red. It seems to me to indicate the theme of a profound philosophy --- if not "theosophy".

Thank you.

cyberlight369

visitor
Reaction score
The color red

Hello dragona,

TO COMPUTERS

Here's to a post on Clarity
Manifesting a rarity
It involved the color red,
And I declare the issue dead
And banish it to obscurity.

Now. Let's start all over from the beginning, one step at a time.

1. Referring to the thread "suggested reading", did you, dragona, add to the bottom of any of your posts, in any color whatsoever, the following quotation:

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."

2. If the answer is "Yes", then please tell me the source of those words

3. If the answer is "No", then, here's to a post on Clarity…

Thank you,
Cyberlight

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
Colors are important part of my profession, so I mind the differences.
I included the link in case you cared to check, as there was another link within the thread but ok, this sums it up from arabella:
"it isn't by Albert Einstein, but probably by a writer named Bob Samples in The Metaphoric Mind where he is musing on thoughts by Einstein."

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Colors are important part of my profession, so I mind the differences.

What color would you say your signature is? I am color impaired, but my guess is that it is light purple.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).