...life can be translucent

Menu

(1) In my opinion: the meaning of 6 and 9

tuckchang

visitor
Reaction score
I would like to submit some of my understandings of the I Ching for your reference and comments.

Usually 6 (the old Yin) and 9 (the old Yang) are taken for the changing line. However according to Zhou Yi, the seventh lines, i.e. to use 9 and to use 6, of Hex 1 and 2 are signified as: Qian is changing to Kun, i.e. it possesses the characteristics of Kun but it is not Kun, and Kun is changing to Qian but it is not Qian. Therefore, in my opinion, 9 and 6 doesn’t mean that they will definitely change but rather mean that they are moving and tend to change. Change is made according to our reading method.

Regards
Tuck :bows:
www.iching123.com

Reaction score
Therefore, in my opinion, 9 and 6 doesn’t mean that they will definitely change but rather mean that they are moving and tend to change. Change is made according to our reading method.

Hi Tuck -- I can see what you are saying in the sense of free will and volition. That we are presented with a complex environment composed of two opposites and at the moment of receiving an answer, Yi let's us know the condition and the way that the 'energy' naturally wants to go. We still have to decide if we will go along the path of nature, or against it's grain. Does that fit in to your thinking above?

I was also wondering when the line titles (For example: 九三) came into the text. :) The obvious being when the hexagram's were added, but I am not sure. Was it always stated as '6 in the 3rd place'?

tuckchang

visitor
Reaction score
Hi answerquestions,

In my opinion, 6 and 9 should be regarded as ‘they are triggered to move (while we are divining) yet change to the other gender.
93 is the old yang at position 3.
What I intend to say is: the reading method (i.e. 6 and 9 change or not) is made by us and don’t be confused by our own made method.

Regards
Tuck
www.iching123.com

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).