...life can be translucent

Menu

Inner and Outer

canislulu

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
In a class I took with Stephen Karcher, he showed us a way to find the "inner and outer" operators of a hexagram. One is created by making the changing lines yang and the stable lines yin. The other is created by making the changing lines yin and the stable lines yang. If I remember correctly, Stephen decided that the inner operator was the inspiring force and that is the one with the changing lines made yang. The outer operator is what "receives" the inspiration and realized it and that is the one where the changing lines are made yin. (I may have this backwards and am open to anyone else family with this "technique.") So, if the first and sixth lines are changing, then the "inner operator" is Hexagram 27 and the "outer operator" is Hexagram 28. If the second and fourth lines are changing then the "inner operator" is Hexagram 40 and the "outer operator" is Hexagram 37. In terms of "how to do" the answer, I think of these as being suggestions for an inner and outer strategy. What is interesting is that they can be quite paradoxical.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).