...life can be translucent

Menu

Help about I Ching symbols (Richard Wilhelm's book)

poxa

visitor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just started to study I-Ching and I've noticed that on some comments related to the lines of the hexagrams, like for example the first one, "The Creative"

() Nine in the fifth place means:
Flying dragon in the heavens.
It furthers one to see the great man.

and the second one, "The Receptive"

() Six in the second place means:
Straight, square, great.
Without purpose,
Yet nothing remains unfurthered.

there's a circle that starts only one description/comment particularly.

I've seen many of these circles, and even squares, placed at the start of many comments through the pages of the book and I would like to know, if someone could help me, why are they placed in some lines and how must be them considered during interpretation.

Many thanks in advance for your time,
Poxa

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
I've seen many of these circles, and even squares, placed at the start of many comments through the pages of the book and I would like to know, if someone could help me, why are they placed in some lines and how must be them considered during interpretation.

The circles and squares are explained on pp364-5 of Wilhelm. They are seldom used at Clarity.

poxa

visitor
Reaction score
Yes, I found all the informations related to the subject at the pages you mentioned.

Sincere thanks for your reply Pocossin, and sorry for the silly question...

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Poxa, the question isn't silly. If you would like to study the complexities of line position analysis, please consider Tuck Chang's site:

http://www.iching123.com/index.htm

" The master line of a hexagram

There are two different kinds of the master line; one is called the founding line and the other, the host line.
The founding line is the one by which a hexagram is formed, and from which the hexagram name and its significance is derived.
The host line is the one that dominates the whole hexagram. Usually line 5, the one at the primary axle center and the king’s position, is the host line; however this still depends on the real situation of a hexagram."
http://www.iching123.com/line_a_text.htm

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).