Menu
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tai Xuan Jing - new translation

Mentioned
    134 Post(s)

Default Tai Xuan Jing - new translation

... available as an ebook, here:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/212192

I don't know enough to recommend or not recommend (anyone?), but it does look intriguing - especially the stress on divination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Please do not buy this book. It's stolen.
    Last edited by pocossin; August 27th, 2012 at 01:40 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not a new translation. It's Nylan rephrased.

Michael Nylan, p.56: "This tetragram is aligned with Fire, whose nature is to rise up; hence the image of ascent. In the natural world of Heaven-and-Earth, it is now the Lesser Cold solar period, when the shoots of living things first appear, like arrow tips pusing their way through the soil."

Alexander Goldstein, p.133: "This tetragram is aligned with Fire, whose nature is to rise; hence the image of Rising derives. In the natural world, it is now "Xiao-han," or the Lesser Cold solar period when the shoots of living things first appear, like arrow tips pushing their ways up through the earth stratum."

Please do not buy this dishonest book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs down Oops! What a mismatch indeed

What a silly recommendation you make! The quoted above image does not pertain to Nylan's creativity but a translation from Fan Wang commentator's imagery. Before giving people such a recommendation, I'd kindly suggest you first research the material to see the difference in approaches rather than pick on "piracy"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge View Post
    What a silly recommendation you make! The quoted above image does not pertain to Nylan's creativity but a translation from Fan Wang commentator's imagery. Before giving people such a recommendation, I'd kindly suggest you first research the material to see the difference in approaches rather than pick on "piracy"
    If your book is actually a new translation, I apologize. However, what it appears to be in places is Nylan awkwardly rephrased.

Alexander Goldstein, p.133: "This tetragram is aligned with Fire, whose nature is to rise; hence the image of Rising derives. In the natural world, it is now "Xiao-han," or the Lesser Cold solar period when the shoots of living things first appear, like arrow tips pushing their ways up through the earth stratum."

"This tetragram is aligned with Fire, whose nature is to rise; hence the image of Rising derives."

-- "Derives" is unnecessary. Why tack it on?

"In the natural world, it is now "Xiao-han," . . ."

-- It is most unlikely that pinyin would occurs in a Chinese text of 1700 years ago.

". . . pushing their ways up through the earth stratum."

-- "Earth stratum" is an awkward way to say 'soil', as Nylan has it. Why the evasion of the obvious?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mr. Goldstein also claims incorrectly that his is the " first translation of "Tai Xuan Jing," or the "Canon of Grand Triad" (hereinafter is referred to as “Triad”) into English made as a guidebook for divination rather than a philosophical treatise."
    The alternative I Ching by Derek Walters first published in 1983 beat him for a mere 29 years. His book presented the T'ai Hsuan Ching's method of divination consulting its 81 diagrams together with the calendar on which this oracle was based.
    Sergio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default It Was Once a Translation but Not for Divination

Yes, Mr. Sergio, for your information, "The Canon of Grand Triad" is the first translation ever available for divination. I just wonder how can you use Derek Walters's book for this
    so far. A true mystery, my friend!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default a simple tai xuan divination

Take three pennies, one bright, one dull, and one dark. Shake in hands and with eyes closed, pick a penny. Bright = heaven line, dull = earth line, dark = man line.

Code:
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  a heaven line. value = 0
    ▄▄▄  ▄▄▄  an earth line. value = 1
    ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄  a man line. value = 2
    Construct the tetragram from the top down and repeat to make four lines. Yesterday at 8:22 pm with the question "What to do about Alex?" I cast and received three dark pennies and one bright.

Code:
    ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
    ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
    ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    Read this pattern as a number to the base 3 and add one:

2 * 27 = 54
    2 * 09 = 18
    2 * 03 = 06
    0 * 01 = 00

The sum is 78. Add 1, and the resulting tetragram is 79.

The head (judgment analogue) of 79:

79. Difficulties #39 (2)
    HEAD: Yin ch'i makes difficulties on all sides. Water freezes, the earth cracks. Yang drowns in the abyss.

Line text analogues (Alex calles them postulates) are selected according to the time of day the question is asked:

1 5 7 morning (12 am - 8am)
    2 6 9 midday (8 am - 4 pm)
    3 4 8 evening (4 pm - 12 pm)

I cast at 8:22 pm so the relevant texts are 3 4 8.

A center firm and fixed
    Troubles the "inconstant."

When the egg breaks against a stone,
    The undeveloped dies.

Crashing against stones, snapping trees in two,
    He merely breaks his horn.

This is not a happy casting for getting anything done. The forces of inactivity dominate, and (line 8) it is pointless to fight against them. I truly would like for Alex's translation -- as questionable as I find it -- to revitalize interest in the tai xuan. Doesn't seem likely.
    Last edited by pocossin; September 1st, 2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: punctuation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge View Post
    Yes, Mr. Sergio, for your information, "The Canon of Grand Triad" is the first translation ever available for divination. I just wonder how can you use Derek Walters's book for this
    so far.
    A true mystery, my friend!
    Who knows... From here, perhaps? Page 43 onwards.

Do you even have Walters' translation? Can't be making wild, big claims, such as "first translation," in a place where you have people that can call them off with ease if they think they are wrong or misleading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Don't Cast Fast and You'll Never Loose with Your Prognosis

I thank you for your fast prognosis, which could be more precise if you by chance use my version, not someone else. What you have used is not my translation of the Triad, sir. So, relax; put your pennies aside, take your time and, following the instructions produce a serious forecasting with the yarrow stalks, putting on the pot a serious question. As an Old School guy you'd better play the game and get the key, which, thanks to Fan Wang's practical tips, has been "stolen" (if you insist on the word) from Yang Xiong for your good progress in your divination.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast