...life can be translucent

Menu
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Tai Xuan Jing - new translation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You do realize that the whole text of your book is available in HTML, right? I doubt Tom/Pocossin bought the book but is quoting from what's available online. I could be wrong, of course. In any case, I still sustain your claim of "first/unique" is misleading.

Now, let's tackle a small portion of your "translation" side-by-side with the Chinese text of the 太玄經:

09.爻守

首:陽氣強內而弱外,物鹹扶而進乎大。

Substance - qi of vivid Yang grows strong inside
    But still appears weak outside;
    All things zealously hold on to their head
    In readiness to advance under Yang's leadership.
    A great good fortune will be found
    By the temperate subject of this tetragram.

[Nylan's: HEAD: Yang qi is strong within, but weak without. All things, branching out, advance to greatness.]

初一:自我匍匐,好是冥德。

Postulate 1 (Water)
    Everymen with their burden of ambitions
    Start to creep on their bellies before the ruler (5),
    Trying to show their gladness in following him.

[Nylan's: Appraisal 1: From the time I crawled, / I have loved this hidden virtue.]

測曰:匍匐冥德,若無行也。

Solution:
    Creeping on bellies, everymen show their aspiring
    To follow their virtuous ruler everywhere;–
    It doesn't become them to behave like that,
    As they should advance like men,
    Walking on their two feet, not like toads.

[Nylan's: Fathoming: Crawling toward hidden virtue / Means: It is as though I had not walked.

This looks a lot like a personal interpretation of the meaning of the tetragrams and lines than a translation of the Chinese text.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
    You do realize that the whole text of your book is available in HTML, right? I doubt Tom/Pocossin bought the book but is quoting from what's available online.
    I didn't buy the book. 20% of the book -- 190 of 948 pages -- is available for free, but this is very generous. It may be that if one joins Smashwords and pays a fee, then HTML access will be given to the whole book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A Homework Which Is Done Well But in Vain

Quote Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
    You do realize that the whole text of your book is available in HTML, right? I doubt Tom/Pocossin bought the book but is quoting from what's available online. I could be wrong, of course. In any case, I still sustain your claim of "first/unique" is misleading.

Now, let's tackle a small portion of your "translation" side-by-side with the Chinese text of the 太玄經:

09.爻守

首:陽氣強內而弱外,物鹹扶而進乎大。

Substance - qi of vivid Yang grows strong inside
    But still appears weak outside;
    All things zealously hold on to their head
    In readiness to advance under Yang's leadership.
    A great good fortune will be found
    By the temperate subject of this tetragram.

[Nylan's: HEAD: Yang qi is strong within, but weak without. All things, branching out, advance to greatness.]

初一:自我匍匐,好是冥德。

Postulate 1 (Water)
    Everymen with their burden of ambitions
    Start to creep on their bellies before the ruler (5),
    Trying to show their gladness in following him.

[Nylan's: Appraisal 1: From the time I crawled, / I have loved this hidden virtue.]

測曰:匍匐冥德,若無行也。

Solution:
    Creeping on bellies, everymen show their aspiring
    To follow their virtuous ruler everywhere;–
    It doesn't become them to behave like that,
    As they should advance like men,
    Walking on their two feet, not like toads.

[Nylan's: Fathoming: Crawling toward hidden virtue / Means: It is as though I had not walked.

This looks a lot like a personal interpretation of the meaning of the tetragrams and lines than a translation of the Chinese text.

Hey, Green-bluish Wales-type Fire-spitting Dragon, wake up! You have blindly flied as far as the foreign region with the foreign culture, foreign scripts and foreign attitude of conceptualization. Your Old School period has vainly passed by you. Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default It May Be. . . May Be Not

Quote Originally Posted by pocossin View Post
    I didn't buy the book. 20% of the book -- 190 of 948 pages -- is available for free, but this is very generous. It may be that if one joins Smashwords and pays a fee, then HTML access will be given to the whole book.
    Dear Sir,
    You waist your time wavering between purchasing and not to. . . Pls try your best not to disappoint me this time and I'll try to forget yours hasty "dishonest." Honestly. Your kind donation will be highly appreciated; what's more, it may be even slightly clean your karma.
    Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge View Post
    Hey, Green-bluish Wales-type Fire-spitting Dragon, wake up! You have blindly flied as far as the foreign region with the foreign culture, foreign scripts and foreign attitude of conceptualization. Your Old School period has vainly passed by you. Sorry.
    The dragon is my pet. I have a name, which appears at the bottom, with the Green One, and is Luis Andrade. If you are going to resort to name calling, I can play but I think is a waste of time and energy. I provided you with the actual, received Chinese text of the 太玄經 for you to clarify your position with the text and/or defend your translation. That's how things are reviewed and discussed in a serious manner. But never mind, you've made your position very clear and I'm not interested whatsoever in how you are pursuing your studies. You say that I "have blindly flied as far as the foreign region with the foreign culture, foreign scripts and foreign attitude of conceptualization" and I ask: what the frack are we talking about here if not a text that's two thousand years old, totally based in concepts that precede it by some, perhaps, another five hundred years, and written in Chinese?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Luis, my friend--
    No doubt, I do excuse your French, because you're ten thousand percent right. Full stop. Amen.
    Truly yours,
    Alex

By the way, do you exercise your reading loudly any Chan verses composed by some clumsy guys like Han Shan or Shi De or Feng Gan? If so, I have a beautiful collection for you. Just let me know your thoughts.
    Last edited by stonebridge; September 2nd, 2012 at 04:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You waste your time wavering between purchasing and not to. . .
    Perhaps my wavering would be helped if you explained to Luis what "deep translation" is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pocossin View Post
    Perhaps my wavering would be helped if you explained to Luis what "deep translation" is.
    it seems you trick me again. . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it seems you trick me again. . . .
    Let's stop tricking each other, Alex, and try to be truthful with each other. I do not have a credit card and am in no position to buy your book. Now, your turn to come clean. You describe your work as "deep translation". Does this mean translation modified by frequent flights of fancy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One stupid question can kill nine cats with nine lives each. . . .

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast