Poets' Yi

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
The moment I read this poem

The bright sun sinks into the western slopes;
The pale moon comes out from the eastern range

by Tao Qian

I thought of 63.5 and discovered yet an angle new to my eyes - don't you love it when lines get illuminated like that?

Just wanted to share . .

jilt

visitor
Reaction score
about horny things:

strong and fragile she is,
34 no5 imean.

For those who are in need of some exegesis:
hidden within that context of strongness, boldness (34), there is the thing that must be protected, the weakness. The 5th line is no5 (yess, indeed, chanel no 5), the sweetness to be defended, but a defense that falls so easily when we care and caress. We come with a nice theory, a thing to bold our image, and then something happens that makes that boldness unneccesary and out of place, you wanted to say: I meant.....", but it it's all in vain. rhyming with iTunes, iPod, iPhone an iMac: iMean, a new name for dropping defenses, a new parfume "imean no5". Ain't that poetic scent

Last edited:

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
'strong and fragile she is'
- I really liked that, it makes great sense for 34.5 :)

jilt

visitor
Reaction score
Rhyming, associating, can be done in many ways. In the classical european ways poetry was done by strong and compulsory rhyme schemes. There is nothing wrong with that, it helps to learn the poems by heart.
What i consider most important for poetry is the rhytmn and the rhyming.
In european poetry rhyming was only done by the sound and meaning. But in e.g. Chinese the rhyming can also be done by the image (homonymos rhyming) and the pitch if the sound. You might say that every word is accompanied by a drawing and a song. You can also rhyme with images and songs, so painting (that is the rhyming with images) with words is almost by default part of chinese poetry, as is a musical aspect.
Traditionally painting and writing weren't different things in the chinese culture. Because of the character-writing every word was also a small painting or drawing. That's why there wasn't a distinction between chinese painting and calligraphy; they merged seamlessly in each other, as did painting and poetry.
But I'm no expert in this field, I even don't read or speak chinese.....

Last edited:

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
aah . . have you seen any haiga? They are really haiku (which were japanese though, not chinese but still they dealt with ideograms) incorporated in a painting or drawing (or, nowadays, other image). What intrigues me in haiku is that they are based on juxtaposition of images rather than meticulous agreement (but that's veering off to a different discussion).
Back to haiga, there are people who say the image should agree with the verse or it should come from a very different place, giving the words yet another layer of meaning . . I still haven't decided which way I'm more into - agreement is the obvious way, although it can play a lot with subtleties but the other way is more unknown and thrilling . . no expert on this either but it's something I like experimenting with

here's some examples:

jilt

visitor
Reaction score
aah . . have you seen any haiga? They are really haiku (which were japanese though, not chinese but still they dealt with ideograms) incorporated in a painting or drawing (or, nowadays, other image). What intrigues me in haiku is that they are based on juxtaposition of images rather than meticulous agreement (but that's veering off to a different discussion).
Back to haiga, there are people who say the image should agree with the verse or it should come from a very different place, giving the words yet another layer of meaning . . I still haven't decided which way I'm more into - agreement is the obvious way, although it can play a lot with subtleties but the other way is more unknown and thrilling . . no expert on this either but it's something I like experimenting with

here's some examples:

lovely and inspiring things. don't need to discuss, the language is clear

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
I keep coming up with new haiga (my art-burps as I call them :D, with no disrespect to the medium whatsoever, but rather to my own use of it) and some of them I find could make nice Yi-line illustrations . .

here's 22

purplequeen.jpg

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
I call this one 'routine', very hx9 in some ways . .

dailyroutine.jpg

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
this was made as a 'twin' to the previous but line-wise it makes me think of 53.6 . .

migratingbirds.jpg

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
the image is a detail from a dawn photo I took very early on a workday before leaving for school; a 64.5 perhaps

DSCF1260.jpg

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
and this one . .
This is one that the poem was completely unrelated to the photo but it kind of clicked

DSCF1254.jpg

I have a couple of ideas for that one, but not sure really - 1.4 perhaps or something that will come up in an unexpected moment I guess . .

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
30.2 springs immediately to mind for that one

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
ah, brilliant! Thanks T ;)
Now see, that's one that would never cross my mind . . I think knowing where the ku (the 3-lines poem) comes from trips me a lot, or limits my view . . it's great to get out of it and see it afresh :)

!ATTENTION - KU SPOILER!

the ku was written on a windy afternoon, looking at how a ray of sun fell on a yellowed tree leaf

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
Google says today's Rodin's birthday, so during my morning coffee I image-googled him to see some of his works and remembered a series of studies he had done about hands that had really impressed me. I found this one a great image for 11:

Paris-Rodin-Hands.jpg

Similar ones here

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
finally the fall showers have arrived. I took a photo of this tree that sits right across my living room window - the more I look at it, the more 58.1 comes to mind . .

DSCF1403copy-1.jpg

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
finally the fall showers have arrived. I took a photo of this tree that sits right across my living room window - the more I look at it, the more 58.1 comes to mind . .

DSCF1403copy-1.jpg

the very first thing that came across my mind with that picture was 47.1 it looks gloomy and there's a lone tree like the one a person sits beneath in 47.1 in Wilhelm (at least thats how i imagine it). Whats interesting is of course 47.1 is the fan yao of 58.1.

There's no colour in the picture so it looks like all the life has drained away...or maybe thats my computer.

Last edited:

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
Hey T, cool that you noticed the link to 47.1 - I kinda played with it as a clue to how 58 works.
I did tamper with the colours on this cause I wanted it to have the tones used in old chinese drawings. What was intriguing to me about that young tree was that it could look lonely and a bit miserable but its truth was far from it - that was the first rain of fall and it had a joyous cadence to it and all the puddles seemed like singing, filling up their cups . .

I'm pretty sure the tree was dancing to their tune, or, at least, that was the impression it gave me when I looked at it from across the street from my living room. I had just gotten in after almost avoiding getting caught by the rain while biking and I felt the tree and me understood the mindless joy of raindrops falling, just pure happiness where perhaps logic could only find a cause for frowning :blush:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
well I guess 58.1 and 47.1 are flip sides of the same pancake.

Reminds me of this summer .....I was lying in bed and noticed a 'plop plop' sound....I looked around and the water was dripping from the ceiling. I called my landlord and he came around later singing this as he came in the door http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N18HZJLG9jg :rofl: I have no idea why but it seemed a joyful moment....when it shouldn't have been

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
lol . . well it wasn't exactly like that :p - I still had a warm (and dry!) home to get back to, a place from where I could enjoy the rain.
Anyways, I hope you're safe and warm over there! :hug:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).