...life can be translucent

Menu

changing lines--the nature of

Reaction score
HI,

I'm amiliar with the I-ching, but when i cast my oracle through the website today, i was surprised to not understand a huge piece of the reading.

I understand how my secondary trigram is developed or related to the first (18.3 changing to 4)....
BUT how does the oracle know which lines are changing? Traditionally, and in our modern explorations of the art, what indicates a 'changing' line?

I comprehend the sixes and nines....but why did my line in the third place change....and not any other of the lines?

I'm excited to hear your answers, and any experience you have with the significance and consequence of these changing lines especially. :)

Thank you for reading!

Reaction score
Awesome.
Looking deeper, the process wilhelm describes for divining with yarrow sticks is much more complicated than i had remembered....I'll re-approach this question when i comprehend the details more.
One thing that's confusing me, as i try to understand this aspect is this:
"...the value of 7 results, the so-called young yang. This becomes a negative line that is at rest and therefore not taken into account in the interpretation of the individual lines. It is designated by the symbol [solid line]" Wilhelm 722

What confuses me is that the line which is being created, the line at rest, is disregarded.
Is this line at rest the counterpart to a line that is "changing"? (I mean, are these two words rest and changing describing shades of the same quality in the line?)
"at rest and therefore not taken into account in the interpretation of the individual lines"
Does this mean that only the changing lines have value for divination?
I guess that i was thinking, the lines that make up the hexagram, you look at all of 'em.

Last edited:

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
This is an excerpt from my History chapter:
When any particular “thing” is stressed, it undergoes a change. If
one lays stress (this is not a pun) on a particular line within a Gua, that line will
change. And since this system is binary, i.e. either one thing or another, the only
change a line can make will be into its opposite. This phenomenon was called
Enantiodromia by the Greeks. Carl Jung used this term to describe how any
particular development brings about a reciprocal counterforce. Sir Isaac Newton
called it the Third Law of Motion: for every action there is an equal and opposite
reaction. Now, when any one of the six lines of a Gua changes into its opposite, it
becomes another diagram, one which differs from the original by only one line. In
other words, when one lays stress on a particular line, this sets up a movement
between two of the diagrams. Since the diagrams, by this point in history, now
have particular meanings, the change indicated by the particular line will have a
meaning partway between those of the two Gua, but in the direction or a state of
transition from the original or root (Ben) to the consequent or resultant (Zhi). Just
as one might interpolate between one and two to arrive at one-point-five, the
Duke of Zhou, or someone in his good name, began to interpolate between Gua
meanings to arrive at meanings for the stressed or changing lines. As these
meanings began to take shape, they began to behave as their parent Gua before
them and build up their meanings by accretion and incorporation. These lines
could also be swept clean of any useless accretions through the divination
process and unsuccessful brushes against the real world. The Duke of Zhou is,
according to legend, credited with the process of developing and setting forth
this next body of text, for which there are six-times-sixty-four, or 384 sections,
organized beneath their relevant parent Gua. This body of text is known as the
Yao Ci, or the Changing Line Text.

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
In spring a leaf unfolds. It is not only the leaf but the entire tree, covered with leaves. In autumn its life force returns to its roots, and the leaves fall away. The new grew old as seasons change. Fullness becomes emptiness, emptiness becomes fullness.

When a line is unchanging, it is not an inactive line but part of a complete structure. A reading with no change lines isn't necessary static, it may be simply emphatic, just as steady as mid summer or mid winter.

leandroscardoso

visitor
Reaction score
Please let me add to the Bradford explanation with some concrete explanation, for more concrete examples http://chinayinyang.wordpress.com/2012/10/17/the-internal-movement/. When a person is completely angered the chance that it will be more calm, (but not necessarily totally calm, or if this happen, it probably passed all the stages very fast). As when after the noon night is still far from coming, a moving line is not moving directly fast to the opposite, but a knowledge of the time (as water and sun clocks in ancient times) is required, that why we need someone that understand the world, 道dao. So the future hexagram is something in a long prospect, all the lines probably don't change at the same rate, they maybe not a cyclic movement, etc. as you see, the future hexagram is not easy to prognosticate, I will probably post something about the changing lines on my blog .For example I think we should take in consideration the upward movement http://chinayinyang.wordpress.com/2012/06/04/易经yi-jing-i-ching-future-hexagram-and-upward-movement/ http://chinayinyang.wordpress.com/2012/06/20/upward-movement/

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Everything that happens in divination happens through your mind, so the question should be, "How do I find the significance of changing lines?" Or, "How do changing lines address the concern behind the query?" Line features including text are read as an allegory of what is happening in the querent's life.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).