...life can be translucent

Menu

Classification of the trigrams bagua八卦 in yin and yang 阴阳(陰陽)

leandroscardoso

visitor
Reaction score
Classification of the trigrams bagua八卦 in yin and yang 阴阳(陰陽)

There's a topic with a discussion about this subject that I couldn't find and I promised that I would explain this classification. Well, here it is, taken from my blog http://chinayinyang.wordpress.com/

This don’t make much sense since each ba gua has it characteristic, and even the 乾qian and 坤kun shouldn’t be classified as yang and yin, because they refer to a more specific situation then yang and yin; remember that a white horse is not a horse.
We can classify the ba gua in three distinct ways: the way its used now: heaven, thunder, water, mountain, the father and 3 sons representing yang(from eldest to youngest); earth, wind, fire, lake, the mother and 3 daughters( from eldest to youngest). The idea behind this classification is simple, the different line is what gives its characteristic, its much more simple to visualize the situation by the perspective of that line (you will see me using similar strategy to explain the hexagrams in my book, generally to the point of view of the fewest lines, 14大有great possessions not by saying the first line unbroken, second unbroken, third line unbroken, etc., but saying that it is a broken fifth line with the rest unbroken), when the element is on the bottom it represent the beginning, what come first, past, hence eldest.
The other way is exactly the contrary, and is pretty obvious: the lines that are in great number gives a preponderance of that element (similar to the28-大過da guo and 62-小過 xiao guo hexagrams, although the Yi Jing(I ching)易经(易經) is not so simple) . This make perfect sense when you use the pre heaven arrangement: for example if we use temperature as a example: the yang lines are increasing when getting near the top where its represented by the heat of the pure yang, and less in the colder of pure yin: 0 Celsius degrees is very cold and is represented by three yin lines, earth; 10 degrees is cold but getting warmer and is represented by two yin lines, thunder; 20 degrees is mild and because it is getting warmer, with odd number of lines, it is given two yang lines is represented by fire, 30 degrees is hot and if is getting more hot is represented by lake having two yang lines, 40 degrees is very hot and have three yang lines, represented by heaven, 30 degrees is hot and have two yang lines and getting cold is wind, 20 degrees is the same temperature of fire but since its getting colder it gains 1 more line of yin, and 10 degrees represented by two yin lines, mountain is given this place. We can also separate thunder, fire, lake and heaven into yang, and wind, water, mountain and earth into yin. The idea behind this arrangement is look at the direction of the movement: going to yang or getting warmer, brighter, more active, etc is yang; going to yin or getting colder, obscure, passive, etc. is yin, you can see this in the 先天xian tian pre-heaven, old days arrangement.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).