...life can be translucent

Menu

Chinese Fonts and Gua

LloydWilliams

visitor
Reaction score
I am looking for help on how to type Chinese characters and hex in the middle of text. I journal on my computer as I continue my Yijing studies and would like to incorporate the Chinese characters and GUA (Hexagrams) and Trigrams.

I use a Mac and have activated Pinyin Simplified and Pinyin Traditional on my keyboard, but when I type in Lu for 56 I see many choices but none look like the character I see in the text. I type in LU1 but it is not correct either.

I would also like a way to insert a True Type Hex and Trigram that I can resize with the surrounding fonts.

Is there a tutorial somewhere or can someone explain how you are incorporating these into your post and typing. Thank you.

Also, it is good to be back on the forum. I have taken a hiatus for a while after we returned home to Nova Scotia and now I am back to by studies. Best to everyone.

LloydWilliams

visitor
Reaction score
I just found how to type the Trigrams and Hexagrams with i Ching Maru and Futo fonts. I typed all the characters on a sheet an wrote in the corresponding key and GUA ##.

Still do not understand how to type the correct Chinese characters.

LloydWilliams

visitor
Reaction score
I can type the I Ching Futo font, but it is not a True Type and does not print correctly.

So I am still trying to find a True Type Hex and Trigram font. I will check out the one on LiSe's site.

Any other suggestions?

leandroscardoso

visitor
Reaction score
I don't know if a special font will work because the other person must have the same font (I think). To type Chinese characters I use google ime http://www.google.com/intl/zh-CN/ime/pinyin/ install the language on windows languages toolbar, change with alt+shift, type the pinyin and type the number corresponding to the character (up and down give more options). I found somewhere the trigrams (but not the hexagrams). on the list of characters supported, you should find it in a list of unicode characters and access with a combination of alt + number combination. But everybody refers to the hexagram by the number in the king wen 文王 sequence (1 qiang 2 kun etc..) altough I prefer refer to their names and correspondent characters.

LloydWilliams

visitor
Reaction score
leandroscardoso Thank you, but the Google app only seems to work on Windows, I am on a Mac.

charly

visitor
Reaction score
Hi, Stuart:

Chinese Text Project says:
Fonts and Compatibility

In order to view the Chinese text on this site, you will need to have a Chinese font and compatible web browser installed. In addition, because the ancient texts on this site incorporate many now obsolete and rarely-used characters, you will need to install a Unicode font which provides support for such characters (often referred to as CJK Extensions A through D). A suitable font is the freely downloadable "Hanazono" font; "Han Nom" also includes many (though not all) of the required characters. To confirm whether your system properly supports these characters, please see the Font test page. Proper support for Unicode (including so-called 'surrogates') is also needed, which may cause additional problems for users with older operating systems.

http://ctext.org/

I believe that the GUA belong to the extended Unicode characters, goto the page of Sturgeon and will be able for loading the fonts and running the tests.

I use to tipe piyin and take de character from a list with this application:

Chinese Input Method Editor
(IME) - Free Online Tools
This tool allows you to write Chinese on your computer without installing any software. This Online Chinese input editor is based on pinyin.

http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/ime.html

When the list is not complete, i look for the character in a dictionary and make copy/paste. The following application
must function also for Macs. Ibelieve, nobody´s perfect.

Yours,

Charly

Last edited:

LloydWilliams

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Charly, Thanks, but I really want to type them while in my editor and not cut and paste for an outside app. All the formats make it difficult. I just have to get the right combination of fonts, and input method. Thanks.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
All my work is drag & drop from worksheets or online Chinese dictionaries.
For the gua and bagua figures I drag from a sheet I made from
Mac's Text Edit > Edit > Special Characters > Symbols > Divination Symbols
which has all the figures in Unicode.

LloydWilliams

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you Bradford.
Is that how everyone does it? If you have a long passage that seems like a lot of dragging. Is there no simple way to type the The Chinese Characters from the Input module built into preferences?

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Lloyd,

It is beyond me why 旅 (I typed this on my Mac) is not in the Pinyin keyboard of the Mac. I've no straight answers but I suggest a two step process:

1. Add the Cangjie keyboard to your Chinese input options;
2. look for the character in YellowBridge then look at the Cangjie keystroke combination for the character, 'ysohv' in this case, type it and hit enter and your character will appear.

I wish I had a better answer.

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Mind you, 旅 is an odd ball amongst the Pinyin input options on a Mac. I don't think you'll find these kinds of problems very often.

LloydWilliams

visitor
Reaction score
I typed lu3 into yellow bridge and received the following. I do not see the GUA.

LloydWilliams

visitor
Reaction score
There must be a better way. If I want to type an entire line of Chinese, say a Changing Line, it would take forever, one character at a time cut and paste, or lookup and retype. I have loaded a half dozen input options and half the GUA I have typed from Bradford's coding do not show up. Even when I count the strokes I can not find them.

How would a PhD candidate type them, there is way too much to cut and paste, with long passages in Chinese. And what about the native Chinese, must be a better way.

LloydWilliams

visitor
Reaction score
The track pad manual input found Lu3 on first attempt. That calligraphy practice may have a practical application after all.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you Bradford.
Is that how everyone does it? If you have a long passage that seems like a lot of dragging. Is there no simple way to type the The Chinese Characters from the Input module built into preferences?

People type in Chinese all the time. I just never learned how to do it.
You can select, copy and paste whole lines at a time if you have a reliable text.
The most reliable one for the Zhouyi is Steve Marshall's
http://www.biroco.com/yijing/zhouyi.htm

LloydWilliams

visitor
Reaction score
To get 56:

A Note on Typing the ü Sound in Chinese:
U vs.ü
Type v for ü when ü is preceded by L or N , e.g.:
nv for nü (女), lv for lü (绿)
However, use u for ü after J, Q, X, Y, e.g.
yu for the sound yü (鱼 =yu/fish); qu for the sound qü (去=qu/go)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).