...life can be translucent

Menu

5 changing lines but 5th

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
would just like to get an experienced input on how to read many changing lines, specifically 5, as I have gotten hex 25, all lines changing but 5th, all lines kind of giving a feeling of saying this and that I can`t much relate and so it seems logical to go by the only unchanging line or am I soothing myself by choosing the positive, most simple and probably the most liked a solution ?
I know there must be a few links on the issue and have red a few, so if you feel it has been discussed enough, please just link me to some.

S

svenrus

Hello everyone,
would just like to get an experienced input on how to read many changing lines, specifically 5, as I have gotten hex 25, all lines changing but 5th, all lines kind of giving a feeling of saying this and that I can`t much relate and so it seems logical to go by the only unchanging line or am I soothing myself by choosing the positive, most simple and probably the most liked a solution ?
I know there must be a few links on the issue and have red a few, so if you feel it has been discussed enough, please just link me to some.

Hex 25, nine on the 4th according to the Nanjing rule: this line is the answer; according to Alfred Huangs master Master Yin the nonmoving 5th line is the answer. Other methods: http://svenrus.dk/movinglines.pdf and http://svenrus.dk/changinglinesb.pdf.

Which authority to chooce ?

LiSe Heyboer on http://www.yijing.nl gives this quite different interpretation:

"The multiple moving lines are the group, they turn the question into something like real
life, where one has to cope with many different people, all with their specific character, with
good and bad traits. The lines are the group members. A leader, who can be a good one or a
tyrant, a mother, a neighbour, a nasty little boy next door, a brother or sister to share play or
secrets or fights with, a son or daughter, a husband. Together they make up life.
The lines are not an undifferentiated bunch, they have structure, like a group has.
The bottom line is about the decision if one should act, and the potential of acting. The
commoner and the worker. Your responsibility towards yourself. Your instincts, your ability
to survive. The dragon who is still under water, the hoarfrost which will become real frost.
Line 2 is the official, the one behind the locker who is often the only contact with the
government. The brother who helps, the thought, which solves a problem (the official who
makes contact with your own inner king), social activity, education, assertiveness.
Line 3 is the local leader: a boss with very personal wishes, your feelings, emotions,
psychological state. Your ability to oversee situations and to analyse them. Your feeling of
responsibility.
Line 4 is the minister. He should be free of personal wishes because he is the direct assistant
to the overall leadership. He makes the decisions and choices, he is your intellect and
knowledge and experience. No meditation is possible with an imbalanced line 4.
Line 5 is the king, he is higher than rationalism, he is your wisdom, charisma, leadership.
Like line 2 he is about contacts, but on another level. Not based on interest, advantage,
feeling good together and other earthly goals, but concentrated on ideals and mental
interests, on the common good.
The top line is the sage, the mystic, your possibility to find sources of mythology or
religion. It is (or should be) completely free from anything personal or temporal. It goes
beyond normal-size life and reaches into universe.
When the lines have a structure, one cannot miss any one of them. It would feel as an
essential loss. In real life one also cannot remove an aspect, or even reduce all to just one
way of dealing with a person or a situation or whatever. The result would be very reduced
too. One cannot make a choice (4) without instinct (1) or emotions (3). No contact (2)
without a universal spirit (6) or universal mind (5) – or without 1 or 3. Every single thing
one does cannot miss any of the other aspects."

Somehow I like Alfred Huangs statement that his master has found his rules fitting out of experience, not mentioned how much time of experience but, because I don't think there are any authority left alive after the I Ching was first formulated thousand of years ago who would be able to state how it originally was defined whether one, none or all of the moving lines had been choosen; or - as I've read somewhere - whether moving lines were taken into account at all then.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I recall a blog post of Hilary's where she discusses 5 lines moving and how she sees the line that isn't moving as at least what you know your answer is not....the situation is not the line thats not moving....it may be all the rest but its not that. I'd link to it but can't find it

Others see it the opposite way so who knows

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

the second hexagram here is going to be at least as important as the first. Make a sentence 25>48 think about the 48....perhaps (25) a source (48) ? or how reliable is this source ?

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
I recall a blog post of Hilary's where she discusses 5 lines moving and how she sees the line that isn't moving as at least what you know your answer is not....the situation is not the line thats not moving....it may be all the rest but its not that.

Comforting :mischief: but clear. My opinion is that changing lines are not changing for no reason, so they should not be disregarded in any way or a method completely.

the second hexagram here is going to be at least as important as the first. Make a sentence 25>48 think about the 48....perhaps (25) a source (48) ? or how reliable is this source ?
Well, I think I`m the source-The Well and other people are in hex 25,passing through.
Perhaps IC is mirroring my own sense of cold feet or something because another cast, question of somewhat same nature ; 4 lines are changing...
[/COLOR]

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Comforting :mischief: but clear. My opinion is that changing lines are not changing for no reason, so they should not be disregarded in any way or a method completely.

Well, I think I`m the source-The Well and other people are in hex 25,passing through.
Perhaps IC is mirroring my own sense of cold feet or something because another cast, question of somewhat same nature ; 4 lines are changing...
[/COLOR]

You can take an overview of the 2 hexes without completely disregarding the lines. People will deal differently with 5 changing lines. I'd stand back to see the whole canvas of 25>48.

If its about an actual reading maybe this should be in shared readings ?

Reaction score
Readings with a lot of lines can seem overwhelming and so they need steps to process them. Then they come out being very informative. I don't know about you, but my readings always seem complicated, such as life, which makes things quite rich and interesting.

If you look at just one hexagram (in this instance 25), and all of it's lines, you start to see that the information in the lines gives you different points of view within that hexagram.

For a reading with a lot of lines, it is a good time to really get to know that hexagram and all of it's views and aspects. Even the one line you did not get, I would take that into consideration. Reading that line (in your case 25.5) can help in understanding that specific aspect of 25 ---- but then I would also understand that that particular view is not in play with this reading. Knowing what 'isn't' can also be informative. And that one line can be a contrast to all of the lines that are in play.

The resultant hexagram (in this instance 48) could be looked at just as thoroughly - with all of the lines, to get a better understanding of why it showed up. :mischief:

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
it was a question yes, kind of pondering...and the answer was, as i took it, loose reflection, so 5th line there sort of speaks to me in terms of let it be and it felt easier to go that way and keep walking down the avenue greeting passers by, as the image of the hex 25 rings to me.
but, since i would rarely get many moving lines, when i am upset maybe though, it felt different then what i expected...and i really don
t care much for getting hex 25, i have to say.

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
Actually...when many lines are changing, I think there is a lot to think of and process which may be hard at the time question was asked. And I am inclined to read changing lines chronologically, even though it may not be the most creative way to interpret them, in the first effort I find it to be the easiest and sense making. So I tend to read it as a story...hope it will sink in. Shared Readings, here I come :eek:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).