...life can be translucent

Menu

Your Experiences with Unchanging Castings- Hexagram 20

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Found a rare example of 20 uc where someone came back with an outcome here.

In my own experience, though I can't recall a specific experience to mind, I think I take 20uc quite simply as taking time to think....and if I had a Tree House that would be a very good place to do hex 20. I often take 20uc as advice to pause and look and I wondered how much it felt in common with hex 5. The difference is in hex 5 one is waiting for return of Tao....well this story explains that well..here well that is a story I know Karcher has used to illustrate the hex 5 waiting

But though hex 20 almost looks quite relaxing as in 'sit back and watch' I find it quite active, there is much casting about, looking to the horizon, alot of thinking, looking about to see what may have been overlooked.

So all that is the general idea of 20 but I don't have many ideas about how it can manifest in it's unchanging form. The person linked to above stressed not only seeing but being seen. I'm sure I have received it when waiting for someone's verdict or choice about me too.

Hilary writes in her book of the pair 19 and 20

"Hexagrams 19 and 20 respond to one another: Seeing watches for nearing to approach and reach out. They connect, and each completes the other. When you are Nearing, you become the help, guidance or opportunity waiting to be Seen."

Wing says of 20 unchanging

"The upper trigram, SUN, gentle effects, is successfully influencing K'UN, receptivity. Without changing lines, the hexagram CONTEMPLATING indicates that there is work to be done in regard to the object of your enquiry. Seriously contemplate the situation and grasp it's true meaning and direction of development. Once you understand it, influence and change it wherever necessary. Fear not. If you've aligned yourself realistically to the situation, you will be trusted."

In experience I agree 20 uc can be time to do some serious thinking, thinking in order to see, the kind of thinking that casts about, perspective, the kind of thinking where you might stare at the clouds or into space as you look for what there is and what's coming.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
I seem to have not one solitary 20 unchanging in my readings journal. Weird. I suppose the unchangingness of it might emphasise the 'seeing what's there' meaning, as opposed to looking for anything in particular: seeing just for the sake of seeing, like in doremi's art exhibition perhaps.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I'm taking the liberty of copy/pasting chingchings comment on 20uc as she made it in the 19uc thread

she said

20 uc , just qucikly as i realise this is not the 20 thread, retrospectively has outlined actions i really needed to think about a bit longer before doing. Even though in casting 20 i did 'contemplate' my ans, still didnt look long or hard enough, so i now respond with extra patience when i get it.

I agree with that. Maybe there's really not much more to say about hex 20 uc.

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
Hex 20 appeared 2-3 times ( unchanging) when asking about a specific subject which, btw, has to do with looking at images.

maybe its a very personal association but couldn't help but remember and connect it with some Jung's ideas. ... To look at in German language, according to Jung , means also “ to make it pregnant” He says :
“Looking, psychologically, brings about the activation of the object. It is as if something were emanating from one’s spiritual eye that evoke or activates the object of one’s vision.”

“ so, to look at or concentrate upon a thing, betrachen, gives the quality of being pregnant to the object. And if it is pregnant, then something is due to come of it; it is alive, it produces, it multiplies . That is the case with any fantasy image; one concentrates upon it, and then finds that one has great difficulty in keeping the thing quite. It gets restless, it shifts, something is added , or it multiplies itself; One fills it with living power, and it becomes pregnant”

One fills it with living power(wind) , and it becomes pregnant(earth) ..... maybe ?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Making something pregnant by looking at it reminds me of when I did car boot market things. If something wasn't selling I'd move it and stand back and look at it and as soon as I did that other people would look at it too and it was more likley to be sold. A question of being seen....being seen seems obvious for selling something yet I found even if something was placed right at the forefront of the stall on display it could be completely ignored by passers by until I really looked at it with attention.

Looking is far more dynamic than we might realise.

chingching

visitor
Reaction score
Yes!

There have been studies on the effects of stress levels and in particular amounts of cortisol as a result of stress on weigh gain and one in particular proved that people, whose bodies are in the stress cycle, can gain weight just by looking at a donut.

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
hex 20 reminds me of the guided imagery meetings with Kevin, for studying trigrams ; there was a certain narrative where in certain points there was a pause and we had to "see" and fill the blanks.

A metaphor that we might apply in this hex is the one of optical illusions. While our visual system is one of the most advanced systems in our body , yet we fall into the trap because actually we don't see with our eyes only; What we are looking at is not what we see. Its a automatic process , so maybe this is why the commentaries Oh h20 image feel like we see a ritual and somebody push the "pause" button, In order to proceeded a change on they way we see in necessary. So, yes, while it lacks action it is dynamic. Maybe that's why the kings has to leave their castle and travel around to see with their own eyes... they have to go outside - which is not a conflicting image with the metaphor of tower.

@ CC, re your example, one word : devastated ! Hope it doesn't apply to chocolates too ;) Joking aside , very interesting !

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
Looking at and seeing embarrassing example.

Van Gogh is one of my fav painters but i can't say that I love every painting. One of the most indifferent was the almond tree blossom... well a nice one but just a nice tree... nothing else. When I had the chance to see the original and having in mind the story behind it I got goosebumps. All this time I was looking at it... that specific moment I could see... very different kinds of seeing.

knotxx

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Looking is far more dynamic than we might realise

That is really true. When you're on stage, when it's not your scene, your time to be at the center of attention, you can still really shift the audience's attention depending on where you're looking.

I came to pass along a funny little reading--not sure how helpful it will be but it made me think. I drew a tarot card asking for advice on how to think about my career (which isn't going brilliantly at the moment and which I'm rather fraught about.) I got the Star. Am never quite sure what to make of it -- it's so lovely and heart-lifting to look at, but what does it MEAN. So I asked the yi how to take the Star, as advice, and got 20uc.

I found that so unexpected and interesting. In the Star card, the woman is naked, vulnerable, and pouring out an offering while the stars shine down on her. At 20uc you are just about to make that offering, standing there open to the universe, seen by it. You must have some sort of trust or hope in order to be making the offering in the first place.

It really makes me think of Hilary's note that Trojan quoted above:

Seeing (hex 20) watches for Nearing (hex 19) to approach and reach out. They connect, and each completes the other.

I think of 19 as the star, and 20 as the woman below it. Maybe.

andrea

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
In the throes of possibly terminal difficulties in a relationship, I started writing a long email to the person involved, and as I did so, recognized aspects of the situation I hadn't considered. A couple of days later I was still writing and thinking. I asked for advice about communicating the material, and got 20 unchanging. I took it to mean that if I kept writing, setting aside the concern about sending it, I'd develop enough perspective on the situation so that eventually I'd know exactly what to do.

V

veavea

Hello, this is my first post having been a lurker for some time :)

Just wanted to add my contribution for what it's worth, maybe it will be helpful for someone: I had a situation just a week ago where a man I liked had asked me to attend an event where he was performing on stage. Although it was a casual arrangement, I'd thought it was an informal date. However, when I arrived he seemed tense and not so anxious to see me, and straightaway said he was just going outside for a smoke, leaving me stood there. Well, I felt like an idiot so i walked straight out and to a nearby bar where I met up with a friend.

I asked the Yi if I should forget the whole thing and got 20.2 - the brief description on the phone app - which was all I had with me - suggested 'slow progress'. Anyway, I didn't tell my friend about the awkwardness and she was keen to go back to the club I'd just left - so we went back together and had fun but it was awkward as far as the guy was concerned. I didn't know if it was him or me that was being awkward, or both. The next day I resolved to forget the whole thing, asked the Yi and got 8 unchanging. But I wasn't sure whether that 'union' referred to the two of us, or to his ex, who I know he still has an attachment to (they broke up not so long ago).

Anyway, today it occurred to me that maybe he was just nervous that night, and it wasn't that he didn't want to see me. I asked the Yi and got 20 unchanging. (We have communicated in the interim, but it's been a bit tense on both sides - certainly I know I have had all my defences up, rightly or wrongly. For me it's a case of not wanting to fall into something where I'll get hurt, if he still has feelings for his ex.)

I asked for further clarification and 36.2.3. I am not sure whether this means that there is more to the situation that meets the eye, but since I got 20 twice (once unchanging) in relation to the same issue it seems relevant. I guess in time there might be more to tell, or not, but overall I'm taking this to mean that any problems in this situation aren't really anything to do with me, but maybe things going on in his life that I'm unaware of.

Perhaps advice not to second-guess the situation but merely observe?

I do get a lot of unchanging castings, particularly in recent weeks; I'm not sure how to interpret this in itself. :)

Last edited:
V

veavea

From James deKorne's site:

"Without changing lines, Contemplation is an oracular invitation for you to consider your situation and especially your motivations in regard to it. One way of doing this is to reduce everything to a brief written statement, including your best conscious conclusions. Then ask for a comment from the oracle -- often it will become apparent that you have been undergoing a kind of examination."

http://www.jamesdekorne.com/GBCh/hex20.htm

UPDATE: I did as suggested, writing in my journal, and realised that I had a lot of issues that were causing a blockage in terms of allowing anyone to get closer to me. I asked for further guidance and received 21.3.4.5 - Biting through difficulties, here I understood it to refer to my own psyche. Whether or not there is hope for this or any other relationship to turn into anything depends on my commitment to sorting through my own issues with rejection and intimacy. Contemplation then, in this case, is an invitation to look at oneself in regards to the situation. Thanks Yi!!

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Anyway, today it occurred to me that maybe he was just nervous that night, and it wasn't that he didn't want to see me. I asked the Yi and got 20 unchanging. (We have communicated in the interim, but it's been a bit tense on both sides - certainly I know I have had all my defences up, rightly or wrongly. For me it's a case of not wanting to fall into something where I'll get hurt, if he still has feelings for his ex.)

I asked for further clarification and 36.2.3. I am not sure whether this means that there is more to the situation that meets the eye, but since I got 20 twice (once unchanging) in relation to the same issue it seems relevant. I guess in time there might be more to tell, or not, but overall I'm taking this to mean that any problems in this situation aren't really anything to do with me, but maybe things going on in his life that I'm unaware of.

Perhaps advice not to second-guess the situation but merely observe?

I think that's absolutely right, don't guess just observe. Yi is asking you to step back and see what's really happening. 36.2.3>19 ? Hmmm well there is often hurt feelings somewhere when we cast 36 and I think part of the reason you are being advised to view the situation in 20 is perhaps to see how this might actually be hurting you so you can withdraw to keep your inner light shining. You are making excuses for him for why he wasn't so friendly, then in your second post you blame yourself but my feeling on this is that perhaps it hurts more than you care to admit and perhaps you need to withdraw a little. 36.2 shows a rescue of some kind. Perhaps it will all be fine again between you soon but for now in your shoes I think I'd withdraw a little. There may still be things that haven't come into view yet, things you need to see before continuing.

I don't honestly think him being unfriendly is due to a blockage in your psyche, it's showing more of what he feels right now.

I don't want to offer interpretation in these threads but I have a bit but maybe for more in depth help you could post in SR with the 21 cast ?

V

veavea

I don't honestly think him being unfriendly is due to a blockage in your psyche, it's showing more of what he feels right now.

I don't want to offer interpretation in these threads but I have a bit but maybe for more in depth help you could post in SR with the 21 cast ?

Thanks for this Trojina, I will do - I'm still new here though so not sure what you mean by 'the 21 cast'? :)

I think you're right though about the 'hurting' bit, and today I asked the Yi again about it as I *still* wasn't sure how to respond or behave in our ongoing friendship - and got (I'm showing myself up here, very unflattering): 20.4>23, then 20.1>42, and finally 20 uc again!!!!!

Anyone would think it was trying to tell me something. :cool:

Olga Super Star

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
My Mom is having serious sight problems.
A month ago when I found out I made some research and a friend of mine who is blind gave me the name of an important professor specialized in retina problems.

My Mom didn’t want to follow my suggestion and preferred to get a random ophthalmologist who took a month to get her check and then the only thing he could say was that she needs injections and where he works they cost 1,400€ each.

of course she can go to the hospital for free if she prefers - the only problem being: she should start everything over again and hope there is some good expert at the hospital who knows about this macular degeneration.

So we lost one month.

So today in despair I phoned this Professor studio

at first they said I’d have to wait until the end of February to see him because he’s leaving on Saturday for the US.

Then they found us a place for tomorrow, very early in the morning and I managed to convince my mom to go see him (before injecting some medicine into the eyes, it’s worth to have a second advice in my opinion!).

I just asked: What about going to see this EYE PROFESSOR, EXPERT IN SEEING?

Answer: 20 un, SEEING

;)

Last edited:

susieq777

visitor
Reaction score
Seeing Characters

I received 20UC as a response to my question, "How are my characters coming along?"

I'm reading/working with a book (the terribly named The 90 Day Novel). It is, you'll be unsurprised to know, a book about writing the first draft of a novel in 90 days.

I have begun with the barest glimme of an idea, hardly even that, around two characters. The first month doesn't even require me to know any more than that but simply play around answering questions as the main character and then an antagonist, just playing around, not even knowing what you're doing and just pulling stuff out of the air, none of which will necessarily stick. It involves trusting that your subconscious knows the story and it will come clear to me over the weeks, slowly, like a Polaroid picture coming into view.

I'm one week in and getting faint glimmers of possibility of what the story may be and feeling nervous about whether I will get a story from it and also excited at how good it would feel if I did get a story this way because it would feel very organic and whole and mysterious ro my conscious mind. Delicious.

I loved this answer, especially Hilary's line in the judgment "There is truth and confidence like a presence."
And Anemos's post too about "making it pregnant" by looking at it. Lovely.

maybe its a very personal association but couldn't help but remember and connect it with some Jung's ideas. ... To look at in German language, according to Jung , means also “ to make it pregnant” He says :
“Looking, psychologically, brings about the activation of the object. It is as if something were emanating from one’s spiritual eye that evoke or activates the object of one’s vision.”

“ so, to look at or concentrate upon a thing, betrachen, gives the quality of being pregnant to the object. And if it is pregnant, then something is due to come of it; it is alive, it produces, it multiplies . That is the case with any fantasy image; one concentrates upon it, and then finds that one has great difficulty in keeping the thing quite. It gets restless, it shifts, something is added , or it multiplies itself; One fills it with living power, and it becomes pregnant”

One fills it with living power(wind) , and it becomes pregnant(earth) ..... maybe ?

Hartloper

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I just received 20UC.

I was wondering whether it could also be related to "withdrawing projections".

Seeing in an emotionally uninvolved way, yet sharply alert like a heron looking for fish in a body of water.

A heron only seems detached and involved, in reality its alertly aware of what's really there.

best, jd

Last edited:

Hartloper

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I just got 20UC four times in a row :oops:

nothing useful to add to this thread for now ...

Hartloper

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hex 20 appeared 2-3 times ( unchanging) when asking about a specific subject which, btw, has to do with looking at images.

just realize this post is 9 years old to the day, a date of special significance for me.

i was musing on "seeing" as an "act of creation".

The observer's paradox in quantum mechanics. the act of observation is inseparable from the observed reality.

the heron looks into the pond. there are no fish. yet the heron sees the potentials of fish. and when he acts he makes a catch (new insight etc.)

steve

visitor
Reaction score
Hi

I have cast hexagram 20 so many times, not that I have understood the answers everytime, especially in my early days with the YI. I agree, there is height or a feeling of height in the answer unchanging. I have this answer given to me when things are very fluid around me.

Many times you have built something or created something, now it needs to work properly. When writing your business plan, it should start with your vision, or the next step is shape. Hexagram 20 to me can relate to early stages of a new phase.

Maybe like a town planner looking down at the model. We have got that far now keep going, like looking down on something trying to grasp the big picture. Big picture is a name for hexagram 20 that would work for me.

As mentioned in Trojinas example of the situation being active, I would totally agree. To me Its not looking down at a peaceful valley. You maybe looking down from the Empire State Building, Sydney Harbour Bridge or Big Ben if you get my gist. Looking down at an ants nest and thinking now what exactly is going on here?

What comes to mind is the Kings looking down at the people, what policys shall I make? Its deep thinking i guess, as generally, me anyway's will have a lot to contemplate at the time of the answer. A whole mixture of money, my past, present, future and all the nuts and bolts that connect it. As I write this I think what a big answer it is. The image of "The Thinker" statue now comes to mind.

I found this helpful just now:

Blofeld: Lookingdown.[This word often means “contemplation" and I have so translated it when the context so requires.] The ablution has been performed, but not the sacrifice. Sincerity inspires respect. [This is generally understood to mean that the first step has been taken or that one has bound oneself to follow a certain course...but that the main duties are yet to be performed.]

The washing of the hands is the prep, the sacrifice is the action.

My example, would be when i created a new sales campaign, the plan had been written, the lead gen had commenced, however there was so much to do still and other factors being involved.

See below: once I recieved Hexagram 20
I wrote this below as a follow up question:

Currently, I am undergoing many changes, many conflicts, old debts, opportunities, and contemplating my future. Please comment,

I receieved 12.2>6, then the penny dropped on what Hexagram 20 unchanging means for me.
The second advice for me was to stay a part of the world but do not get into the thick of it. So, do not be a front line soldier act more like a high ranking officer. Combined with the first answer,I had clarity LOL although still with a million things going on.

Last edited:

steve

visitor
Reaction score
Hi,

Here is another experience.

I cast the answer today simply on a daily reading for my business. In general, things are going well after a number of mistakes this year in the hiring department. Last week was stressful and hectic and I am glad its gone. This week has been better and now its Thursday I have nearly put out all the spot fires. As Trojina mentions in the opening of the relationship between hexagram 5 & 20 or the similar aspects. I can relate to this, and also as mentioned hexagram 5 is really waiting. Almost to the point of irritation or intenseness for me. However, 20 unchanging its more of a pause or a chance for me to catch my breath.

It kind of feels like a mayor of a large city looking down from a building or helicopter with much work to do. For me, now that I have stopped going backwards that I need to really tweak things and make them super professional and be the best mayor possible.

Its like a turning point for me, like the YI is saying yes you have done well but now what do you really want? Can you pull this off? Or do you even want to? You could recieve the answer or advice when you need to make a life changing decision. Its named correctly, contemplating or deep thinking pretty much nail it.

Be well

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).