"what is compassion ? " 41.2>27

Self-explanatory ?

How do you see that answer ? Would love to hear your thoughts

Last edited:
B

blue_angel

Hi,

Question "what is compassion?" Answer 41.2>27

I am way more interested in what you see when when reading the answer. Here is what I seen.

27- feeding yourself or others either by food or care in a way that is nourishing, paying attention to only give what is actually needed.

41- to be sincere in giving and offering, decreasing your own desires, restraining your anger in order to fulfill what is right?

Line 2- you do not need to decrease yourself in order to increase others, but just giving what one has or is able to give, sincerely, from the heart.

This is not my complete understanding of what I feel compassion is but just what I got out of the reading. Please share what you got out of the reading.

Blue-Angel

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your thoughts blue angel.

A high-minded self-awareness and a consistent seriousness with no forfeit of dignity are necessary if a man wants to be of service to others. He who throw himself away in order to do the bidding of a superior diminishes his own position without thereby giving lasting benefit to the other. This is wrong. To render true service of lasting value to another, one must serve him without relinquishing oneself. ~ Wilhelm

I found this answer so grounded to reality, not at all rosy thinking because it stresses the importance of self compassion, self-care and nourishment. Usually the discussions around compassion are so Others-centered and how an individual should behave towards them. .IMO, without building and maintain a solid base the building is not stable and the foundations of compassion are firstly and more importantly the compassion we cultivate and show to ourselves The word ego in many discussions is synonym to devil; I don't share completely that pov. How can we be compassionate if you can't love and take care of our self ?

Yi's answers talks about ourselves and the importance of preserving our part in that give and take equation. It talks about interdependence ,limits, boundaries and our own well being. You have to have in order to give; you have to know in order to understand... then you don't do , it happens.

I like a lot the following saying and I feel it someways reflects some parts of the 41.2>27 reading.

"Itis possible to travel the whole world in search of one who is more worthy of compassion than oneself. No such person can be found."~ Dhammapada Atthakatha

I wish I could share more , but I'm a scary cat re plagiarism and the checkers have no mercy ;)

M

mirian

This is so interesting, anemos. The Yi is making a very clear point that if one wants to help others must be able to help oneself. How can one feel compassion towards others if one cannot be compassionate about oneself. In my view (and this is very personal) that same applies to love. I have seen this very close to me in my childhood that if one is not capable of loving oneself it will make it very difficult to love others.

Thanks for sharing that :bows:

chingching

visitor
Reaction score
... Or to allow them to love you.

I love lise's speil on 41 on her website http://www.yijing.nl/i_ching/

True nourishment can only be known through decrease, boiling things down to the essentials, discarding all Conditioning ( Lise). seeing yourself and others in our essential humaness.

One night I watched a friend's stand up routine and he told a travel story whe he had been walking a off the beaten trail road at night with a fellow dutch traveller ( when you backpack inevitably you will have a dutch companion at some point). He went off into the bushes to go to the toilet and in the dark had a sticky incident, which he told much more graphically, and had to call in the dutch for help. He told the story in all its details which if he hadnt told it with a sense of compassion and all encompassing self acceptance it would have been uncomfortable to listen to, but because he did the whole audience was in love with him ... Not often an affect of admitting you have soiled yourself and had to have someone clean you up.

Now that is not the loftiest story of compassion, but its a simple evey man version. Boil everything down to a person fundamental humanity and what can you do but to feel compassion.

Another story that comes to mind is a recounted tale of someone who on the way to visit the dalai lama saw a man beating a dog severly, utterly disgusted by it its all she could talk about with the dalai lama and his response was to ask her to feel more compassion for the man because what quality of internal experience must he have in order to do that. To see how such agression would be evidence of a soul soaking in poison gives you empathy and understanding for a person who most of us would rather condemn.

Lovely thread!

Last edited:

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
In my view (and this is very personal) that same applies to love.

Can't agree more. Almost write the same, as 27 , in a way is connected with love.

... Or to allow them to love you.

Yup !!!

Now that is not the loftiest story of compassion, but its a simple evey man version. Boil everything down to a person fundamental humanity and what can you do but to feel compassion.

The two small bowls... this is what I saw in the story you shared :)

I have this reading continuously in my mind.. for many reasons.. but when it comes to write something I feel like a marshmallow - if that makes sense :blush:

it's been a pleasure to share this casting and read your thoughts.

Thank you all :hug:

take care !

B

blue_angel

Hey all... I came across this thread. Just received this reading. Ironically I had some questions about seeing others for who they really are and peoples differences when it comes to compassion. This is one of my favorite threads and I feel these examples of compassion can be very healing for many. I know it is for me, and nearly brought me to tears reading through it again. I must say exactly all I needed to hear. Thanks

Ichanged

visitor
Reaction score
Compassion

Hey all... I came across this thread. Just received this reading. Ironically I had some questions about seeing others for who they really are and peoples differences when it comes to compassion. This is one of my favorite threads and I feel these examples of compassion can be very healing for many. I know it is for me, and nearly brought me to tears reading through it again. I must say exactly all I needed to hear. Thanks

I too, thank-you for the great reminder of Compassion for self and others. :bows:
Truth

Seeker0970

visitor
Reaction score
This is a great thread. Beautiful. I just got this reading about how to help a friend.

Mira72

visitor
Reaction score
What a lovely thread...

when i was little, i decided truth was my god...it served me very very well...having grown up, at some point after many iterations of living that personal truth out, as 'peace and justice' possibility in the world, suddenly one day it occurred to me....that p&j was no longer my concern, but compassion was...it came out of nowhere...but *felt* true and complete...it was not like I was even remotely curious about it...

boy what a ride that was...i think compassion is living truth in love, without conflict...that is why 'setting out to bring order' is contraindicated...but finding a way to 'nourish' the person who is abusive such that the abuse stops (which of course is *very* politically incorrect, and *very* dangerous in personal practice, without that right dose of self awareness, that prevents compassion towards others becoming a self-abuse practice).

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).