...life can be translucent

Menu

Bozoji, Discussing the Nature of Reality // New discussion forum by Steve Marshall

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Luis. One way or another the link led me to this

http://www.coronzon.com/audio.htm I particularly enjoyed 'The Stormporch Roof.'...well only listened to the 3 min exerpts but that arse on the roof keeps making me chuckle.....the way arses tend to...or as you say in the US 'asses' . 'arses' are funnier though. I should find out what happened to the arse

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, I'll take 'arse'. The Brit accent makes everything sound refined, even insults. :D

fyreflye

visitor
Reaction score
Steve (or really his alter ego, Joel Biroco) has abruptly closed down the forum.

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
:rofl: I am not surprised. Most likely it was one more social experiment. Although, Joel Biroco is more at the front than at the back... :)

S

sooo

Big subject to take on, complete with enough abstract barbs and thorns, such as anything pertaining to quantum theory, to annoy Yijing purists. It's no wonder Steve/Joel shut it down so quickly. A real can of worms, that, if one insists on exclusively limiting it to a Yijing related discussion.

Otoh, I enjoyed your republishing of Will Buckingham's article: On Uncertainty and the Yijing. Btw, he wouldn't be related to Lindsay Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac by chance?

Annamaria

visitor
Reaction score
And the open space in the doughnut - is the space where the divine resides, so really by imagining and associating we can meet the creation more fully ... So interesting....

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Bruce,

I had no idea you were there. I didn't participate much for lack of time and motivation.

Big subject to take on, complete with enough abstract barbs and thorns, such as anything pertaining to quantum theory, to annoy Yijing purists. It's no wonder Steve/Joel shut it down so quickly. A real can of worms, that, if one insists on exclusively limiting it to a Yijing related discussion.

I don't think he ever intended the forum to be about the Yijing per se. The Yijing was something else to be discussed. Steve has other interests besides, including magic, non duality studies, etc. If I remember correctly, he created his forum after being shown the door at another one where those themes were discussed.

Otoh, I enjoyed your republishing of Will Buckingham's article: On Uncertainty and the Yijing. Btw, he wouldn't be related to Lindsay Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac by chance?

Good question! But I doubt it... :) He's a cool guy and a philosophy professor in England and his PhD dissertation was on Emmanuel Levinas. He immersed into the Yijing not that long ago but quite passionately, including learning classical Chinese and traveling to China to see places and meet the people. Alas, like most people in academia who feel attracted to the Yijing, he plays down the "oracular" aspect of the Yi. Better to be safe amongst peers... Although, it is growing exponentially inside him. :D

S

sooo

Hi Luis,

I wasn't there, just going on your comments of it and imagining the rest, though I'd have enjoyed checking it out. I didn't know Steve has those other interests. Can't imagine him being booted from any Yijing related forum.

I've never understood Yijing study while ignoring or even denying the oracle aspect; Mr. Lofting being somewhat an exception. I've heard his site is no longer up. I imagine his daughter had difficulty fielding questions. I sure would have!

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I've never understood Yijing study while ignoring or even denying the oracle aspect; Mr. Lofting being somewhat an exception. I've heard his site is no longer up. I imagine his daughter had difficulty fielding questions. I sure would have!

Shortly after Chris Lofting's death, I downloaded the whole website expecting something like this... :) I can't imagine all his daughter found while going through his books and notes. A mind that, even if most wouldn't agree with him, was privileged.

S

sooo

Shortly after Chris Lofting's death, I downloaded the whole website expecting something like this... :) I can't imagine all his daughter found while going through his books and notes. A mind that, even if most wouldn't agree with him, was privileged.

Agreed.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for the article, Sparhawk. If Soo would stop deleting posts, I 'd know the hell where I was. But about Buckingham:

> the I Ching is the space at the hub that allows the wheel to turn on its axle

This is his metaphor, not mine, and I think Buckingham is fundamentally mistaken. Had he, instead of travelling to China, spent some time at Clarity, his view of the I Ching would have been radically reformed.

> because I want to flee from reason into the comforts of irrationality

Buckingham needn't flee from reason. He flees from it every night in his dreams, which, in my experience, aren't so comfortable. And his trip to China could have been saved by a like time spent at Clarity.

This page at Yitoons.com says, "You did not pass a human test. Please try again."

You don't pass my human test either, and damn if I am going to try again.

Last edited:

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
This page at Yitoons.com says, "You did not pass a human test. Please try again."

You don't pass my human test either, and damn if I am going to try again.

:rofl: I am so sorry, but if I don't place some sort of CAPTCHA test in the comments I'd get spammed from here to the moon!! If you didn't pass it confirms my suspicions you escaped from Area 51 with some sort of secret Yijing knowledge... :D

As for my blog post, well I was reviewing Will's article in Aeon Magazine. I found some of his points of view very interesting. The beauty of the Yijing is that it isn't the same thing for everyone.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
I have a comment form script with heavy anti-spam ammunition, and it, too, discovers quite a lot of alien life. Embarrassing - but without it, I would never manage to locate the real-human comments in amongst the spambots. The ratio was about 1:100 or something.

S

sooo

If Soo would stop deleting posts, I 'd know the hell where I was.

You are in NC last I heard. I haven't deleted any posts in quite awhile, though the hackers may have scrapped a couple. Yeah! Blame it on the hackers. Maybe you haven't heard but it's a woman's and a Gemini's right to change our minds :p.

It would help if Hilary allowed more time to do a little editing without that annoying 'edited' tag at the end. Not everyone is a world class English major and speed reader/editor here. I seriously dislike that function, though I understand why it's necessary to keep posts in a timely and ordered fashion. The one other forum I contribute to allows enough time without disrupting the sequences of posts.

On your other comments, do you think that being a frequent flier on Clarity creates a different than normal perspective of the Yijing, particularly different from someone who visits China and learns the current language? And if so, in what ways?

Better hurry your response before this is deleted by tomorrow morning. :mischief:

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
I'm hurrying. Deleted posts, like the one between #10 and #11 in this thread. When I hit a deleted post, it's like hitting a pothole.

Wavering flight over the depths.
No blame.

do you think that being a frequent flier on Clarity creates a different than normal perspective of the Yijing, particularly different from someone who visits China and learns the current language? And if so, in what ways?

Yes, for appreciating the Yijing, a few weeks at Clarity is better than a tour of China. Where else can one find a multitude of diverse perspectives on the same query?

S

sooo

Ooh, that one; I seee. That was because it started a new page without quoting Luis', whose post I was responding to. So it hung out there like a dangling participle. I deleted it to quote Luis to connect my comment to it, which oddly placed it back onto the original page. I didn't realize it creates a pothole for you, nor do I understand the mechanics of why. Maybe that might help, as I am a compassionate man :D.

I've sometimes wondered if what "we've" formed on Clarity is a subculture which has taken on a life of its own, thus being somewhat a bastard child of what the rest of the IC world, particularly within the country of its origin, or has perceived of it in earlier times, which a tour of China may reveal in terms of authenticity. Jung wrote of his reading of a very similar nature, in which the handles or ears of the Ting have been altered when it came to the west.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
It would help if Hilary allowed more time to do a little editing without that annoying 'edited' tag at the end. Not everyone is a world class English major and speed reader/editor here. I seriously dislike that function, though I understand why it's necessary to keep posts in a timely and ordered fashion. The one other forum I contribute to allows enough time without disrupting the sequences of posts.

I don't think the 'edited' tag can be removed - and I wouldn't want to, it doesn't hurt anything, and you can add an explanatory note about what you edited. D'you think there's not enough time for editing overall, though? There's always a trade-off, of course, between convenience and potential munging of threads, with replies made to posts that have since disappeared or changed. But nothing bad happened last time I extended the user-edit period, so maybe a further extension would be OK, too.

(Dear oh dear, this is off-topic. Someone call the moderators...)

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
S

sooo

I don't think the 'edited' tag can be removed - and I wouldn't want to, it doesn't hurt anything, and you can add an explanatory note about what you edited. D'you think there's not enough time for editing overall, though? There's always a trade-off, of course, between convenience and potential munging of threads, with replies made to posts that have since disappeared or changed. But nothing bad happened last time I extended the user-edit period, so maybe a further extension would be OK, too.

(Dear oh dear, this is off-topic. Someone call the moderators...)

A little more time would be nice, imo. Longer posts take longer to proof read. I hadn't noticed an earlier extension. No, I don't think the edit feature should be removed altogether.

I haven't seen posting activity from most of the mods. Either they've been on a long vacation or we have been very well behaved boys and girls. ;)

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Or they've become stealth moderators... :mischief:

You have 3 days' editing time (and the option to ask a moderator to edit for you after that). Not enough??

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I was testing how often I could change things before that annoying box appears "last edited by Trojan blah blah"

It's irritating how usually if you just change one word or add a few words or change a spelling that box comes up. However I changed the above about 7 times, no box, maybe it's been changed.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Not by me. I don't know of any control for when the 'last edited by' message displays, though I dare say there might be one in the depths of the admin control panel.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
oh I thought that's what we were talking about....I must have wrong end of stick

but I return to edit this post once and box is here

oh well none of it actually matters I suppose

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score

...)

I thought you meant how much time we had to change things before the silly box appears. maybe you only meant how many days we have to change things.....yes must be that is what you meant

strange no silly box appears

hurray

I've edited this post about 10 times no box.....oh well that's good I suppose

Last edited:
S

sooo

What Trojan said is what I meant. I don't think it's a matter of how often to edit a post but the total time allowed before the edit box appears, which I think is 5 minutes; usually enough time, providing you're Quick Draw McGraw and the edit is simple and no rethinking or image corrections are involved. It's no big deal really, just (for me anyway) a bit irritating. I guess the solution is to be more careful and proof read before posting, which you can't do as well when using the Quick Reply box. For what it's worth, www.thegearpage.net, also a vBulletin site, allows 10-15 minutes, so the feature must be available, should you choose to extend edit times. It's the nature of reality (just to keep this on topic :D)

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
What Trojan said is what I meant. I don't think it's a matter of how often to edit a post but the total time allowed before the edit box appears, which I think is 5 minutes; usually enough time, providing you're Quick Draw McGraw and the edit is simple and no rethinking or image corrections are involved. It's no big deal really, just (for me anyway) a bit irritating. I guess the solution is to be more careful and proof read before posting, which you can't do as well when using the Quick Reply box. For what it's worth, www.thegearpage.net, also a vBulletin site, allows 10-15 minutes, so the feature must be available, should you choose to extend edit times. It's the nature of reality (just to keep this on topic :D)

Ah...so it's to do with length of time not number of revisions...Aha I'd always thought it was number of revisions.

I find it irritating enough that I exclaim aloud at it. I want more time before pointlessly being forced to announce to the world I have edited my post. 15 minutes would be better than 5 minutes. I think all the edit boxes make the place look ugly and untidy anyway and I think the frequency with which they appear is unnecessary.

I mean I'm not that bothered I just find it irritating in the way Bruce describes.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
OK - you're quite right, the option is there. (Right underneath the one for total edit time, in fact. :blush:) I've changed it to 15 minutes before edit box appears.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks.

If there are any stealth moderators awake

There has been a great flurry of moderator activity lately that doesn't show, but most of the burden has fallen on Hilary, and I do not mean just the recent hack. The only reason I am so present is that I have a Cinderella complex (not Dowling's), and house cleaning suits me.

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).