...life can be translucent

Menu

21 - Biting Through & 21.3.5.6 > 49

1eleven

visitor
Reaction score
I'd like some guidance with the following readings. Back in September (9/18), I asked:

"What's the core problem my coaching prospects want to solve?"
21, unchanging (39, nuclear)

Just last night, I asked a similar question:

"What is my primary focus in order to make a difference in people's lives?"
21.3.5.6 > 49

What's unclear to me is determining if this is telling me to "Bite Through" to figure it out or if this is a direct response and the answer lies in 21. Essentially, I'm looking to truly align myself with people's needs so I can target that market and make a difference.

Thanks in advance!

S

sooo

Perhaps try thinking of 21 as the final motivating force, which revolutionizes someone's life. They need a qualified trainer to boot them in the ass.

S

sooo

But I say unto you,
Take this staff just as a staff;
Movement is movement;
Sitting is sitting,
but don't wobble
under any circumstances!
My staff has turned into a dragon
and swallowed up the whole world.
Where are the poor mountains and rivers and great earth now?

Vasubandhu happened to transform himself
Into a staff of chestnut wood, and,
Striking the earth once,
All the innumerable Buddhas were released
from their entangling words.

- Yun-men Wen-yen, (Ummon), 864-949
Sermons
Translated by R. H. Blyth
Found in Zen and Zen Classics: Selections, p. 252
Edited by Frederick Franck

1eleven

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks. How would I go about branding or marketing that though? This reading is very generalized to me.

chibi chan

visitor
Reaction score
Hi 1eleven,

I get 21s frequently. So maybe I can be of some help.

"What's the core problem my coaching prospects want to solve?"

21 unchanging (Biting Through): I recently received this reading regarding the purchase of new tires. I took it to mean that I'd be able to cut through the snow/ice/slush and get to where the rubber meets the road/gain traction. If I translate it to your reading... you are able to help people to cut through their own junk/crap/B.S. and so that they can make forward progress.

"What is my primary focus in order to make a difference in people's lives?"

21.3.5.6 > 49

21.3 Wilhelm:
Punishment is to be carried out by someone who lacks the power and authority to do so. Therefore the culprits do not submit. The matter at issue is an old one–as symbolized by salted game–and in dealing with it difficulties arise. This old meat is spoiled: by taking up the problem the punisher arouses poisonous hatred against himself, and in this way is put in a somewhat humiliating position. But since punishment was required by the time, he remains free of blame.
You call people on their personal BS (which has been in existence for sometime), they may not like you for it, but it had to be done and at least now they recognize it.

21.5 Wilhelm:
There are great obstacles to be overcome, powerful opponents are to be punished. Though this is arduous, the effort succeeds. But it is necessary to be hard as metal and straight as an arrow to surmount the difficulties. If one knows these difficulties and remains persevering, he attains good fortune. The difficult task is achieved in the end.
A lot of hard work, but you can help them persevere and they are successful in overcoming the BS.

21.6 Wilhelm:
The case to be decided is indeed not easy but perfectly clear. Since we naturally incline to leniency, we must make every effort to be like yellow gold–that is, as true as gold and as impartial as yellow, the color of the middle [the mean]. It is only by remaining conscious of the dangers growing out of the responsibility we have assumed that we can avoid making mistakes.
You see them struggling but you know what needs to be done. Maintain impartiality, don't get your own personal BS involved (we all have personal BS) and be aware of the trust they have put in you to avoid making mistakes.

49 (Revolution). You help them set up a new way of governing themselves.

As far as the marketing piece goes...I don't know...You probably want something that's not too touchy feely, but you don't what to sound like Dr. Phil either (Dr. Phil annoys me to no end..I can't stand even the promos for his show...ick).

Again...Where do I sign up?

Chibi Chan

S

sooo

Thanks. How would I go about branding or marketing that though? This reading is very generalized to me.

Holy cow, that's a different question, entirely, from "What is my primary focus in order to make a difference in people's lives?"

S

sooo

Branding has been attributed to 57 - "The noble one conveys mandates and accomplishes affairs" LiSe

Conveys means to communicate your branding name and positioning message, and accomplishes affairs is the ROI.

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
Essentially, I'm looking to truly align myself with people's needs so I can target that market and make a difference.
An executive at Black & Decker once said, if i recall correct, "we don't sell drills, we sell holes"

"people's needs" its a huge target group, maybe you need to concentrate to specific "holes", your niche, where your expertise and specific needs are met. I don't know what kind of coaching you offer but maybe a research might help you to see how can you serve your clients , what the competition does and where you are or can be different. Seems you act as a cracker ... nut cracker, pecan cracker , lobster cracker .. ?

S

sooo

1eleven, if you'd like to retain my marketing consultant service, my standard fee is $1,200 an hour or 40k p.m. retainer. However, as a fellow member of Clarity, I'll offer my advice for free. It's the questions I'd ask that would reveal all your answers anyway.

:)

S

sooo

An executive at Black & Decker once said, if i recall correct, "we don't sell drills, we sell holes"
..and toasters, coffee makers, 'dremels' (another Brand), etc. Classic line extension trap. Save a little, spend a lot, and confuse the end buyer. These days a small power tool must do several functions, from drilling holes to re-tiling the bathroom floor. It's time for B&D to adjust their position in the marketplace, or erode. Or, perhaps they already have.

On the outside porch table is a large, bright blue termite poison container. The top 1/3 is a bright red and white, eye-catching banner, which reads: BAYER Advanced!, with their Bayer Aspirin logo (an aspirin) grabbing the eye... termite poison, branded as Bayer Aspirin, simply because everyone already knows the name. A gross example of line extension trap.

S

sooo

B&D has a different positioning statement for each division of product, which is good, done well, but nowhere can I find a single positioning statement for B&D as a Brand. I think their fall tools one would be a fine one: "The Power You Need Without the Hassle." "A System that Demands Attention" totally sucks, because they lost the hole/drill concept - feature/advantage/benefit. Customers want benefits, companies tout their product advantage - booo!

http://www.blackanddecker.com/

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
It's time for B&D to adjust their position in the marketplace, or erode. Or, perhaps they already have.

agree !!... or the customers -assuming their power .

so it needs a 21 & 49 marketing plan for the 21.6 customers; but we are facing 21.5 giants so someone has to take the risks (21.3) and be committed .... and patient for a while but ultimately he will be believed ...

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
"The Power You Need Without the Hassle." that's a good positioning ! I'm afraid that they do it in more subtle ways through their CRM dept and especially social media and the creepy things we experience when we see the ads everywhere in the net. I's was curious to see the gem Greg mentioned in hex1 thread... guess what kind of ads i see everywhere since the moment I google it .

S

sooo

so it needs a 21 & 49 marketing plan for the 21.6 customers; but we are facing 21.5 giants so someone has to take the risks (21.3) and be committed .... and patient for a while but ultimately he will be believed ...

Agree, 21 to cut through the thousands of ad impressions the consumer hears and sees every day, and revolutionize ones position in the mind of the target consumer - like the gem you're now seeing everywhere. Great example of earning a franchise in the mind of the potential consumer.

I wonder where 1eleven went to? You can come back; I was only joking about my fee. And if you'd be so kind and generous as to share exactly what you wish to market, it would help the conversation.

1eleven

visitor
Reaction score
Agree, 21 to cut through the thousands of ad impressions the consumer hears and sees every day, and revolutionize ones position in the mind of the target consumer - like the gem you're now seeing everywhere. Great example of earning a franchise in the mind of the potential consumer.

I wonder where 1eleven went to? You can come back; I was only joking about my fee. And if you'd be so kind and generous as to share exactly what you wish to market, it would help the conversation.

Hi,
I'm here - I was trying to keep up with the thread by phone but wanted to reply when I had an actual keyboard.

As stated in another thread, I'm a (life/business) coach, I help people get out of their own way and gain clarity on their issues so they can create what they want in their life. For the last year or so I've used the following language on my site: "I coach artists – better yet, I coach creators. I lead them to release the clenched jaw of their mind and express themselves freely.

Restoring balance and harmony allows my clients to create the life they want from a blank canvas of infinite possibilities."

"release the clenched jaw of their mind" seems pretty fitting for 21 - Biting Through

meng, I wasn't afraid of your fee - I'm more concerned with targeting the "wrong" market - if there is such a thing. I'm just looking to get a bit more into the flow and effortlessly creating new clients. I'm currently reading "The Fortune Cookie Principle" - it has some questions that may help clarify what I'm trying to accomplish - it's all about learning to tell/sell a better story.

Does this help?

Last edited:

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
revolutionize ones position in the mind of the target consumer - .

exactly !! ...and the mind of customers as well

I see 21 image with allthat “thunder and lightning” as a very proactive and intelligentway of law enforcement and crime prevention- intelligent being theoperative word, imo. Punishment is not the goal but just measures;identify the root causes ( clarity) and remove or address them (thunder)

Personally, I believe thatthe irrational model regarding decision making holds much truth.Irrational not necessarily in a negative way , more like non-rational( unconscious , automatic etc). We have “blind spots” and when I heard about a study I said “no way .. that's no possible” butthen I had to “participate” to a brief presentation and lookingat the results I was “ :eek: whaaaat !!!!” Your Bayer example isvery to the point- the familiarity creates ties and the tendency tosomehow resist change(49 ?) makes those ties stronger. Emotionsplay a important role in decision making even when we buy achocolate, lol.

Yes, would be nice if 1eleven could give more info. its a very very interesting reading.

1eleven

visitor
Reaction score
Again...Where do I sign up?

Chibi Chan

Hi Chibi Chan,
Thanks so much for your reply here and the other thread about bringing out my "best qualities" - very supportive. As my gift, PM me and we'll get a 90 minute session scheduled for you as soon as possible!

S

sooo

Hi,
I'm here - I was trying to keep up with the thread by phone but wanted to reply when I had an actual keyboard.

As stated in another thread, I'm a (life/business) coach, I help people get out of their own way and gain clarity on their issues so they can create what they want in their life. For the last year or so I've used the following language on my site: "I coach artists – better yet, I coach creators. I lead them to release the clenched jaw of their mind and express themselves freely.

Restoring balance and harmony allows my clients to create the life they want from a blank canvas of infinite possibilities."

"release the clenched jaw of their mind" seems pretty fitting for 21 - Biting Through

meng, I wasn't afraid of your fee - I'm more concerned with targeting the "wrong" market - if there is such a thing. I'm just looking to get a bit more into the flow and effortlessly creating new clients. I'm currently reading "The Fortune Cookie Principle" - it has some questions that may help clarify what I'm trying to accomplish - it's all about learning to tell/sell a better story.

Does this help?

Very much, thank you.

To me it still comes down to positioning your brand, makes no difference what you're selling. It may be lofty and for the good of mankind, or it could be selling laundry detergent. The battle is for the mind. And, yes, there can be a wrong target demo. Today, more than ever, it's about niche marketing. Mass marketing is unaffordable unless you've arrived in the big leagues. Products like ipad, for example, have surpassed their niche appeal. Now grandmothers use them all the time. Everyone is a potential customer for small computer devices, like smart phones.

Thing is, your profession has to maintain a certain air, such as a health professional would. I'd still focus on your positioning statement before anything else, because from the launch, it is the single predominant message you want to have hearers or seers walk away with in their conscious memory. And I think identity still has a lot to do with 57; such as penetrating the consumer's mind with your message. So you must have a single, memorable and identifiable message. A Seal, as it were.

Last edited:
S

sooo

In one short sentence, what would be your best single bit of advise to your patients/clients?

1eleven

visitor
Reaction score
In one short sentence, what would be your best single bit of advise to your patients/clients?

That's a difficult question I'll have to think about a bit.

The issue I've run into in my work is taking a "clean" approach which really can apply to any goal or outcome. My assumptions, belief systems, experience do not matter to the client - by coaching 'cleanly,' a philosophy pioneered by the late David Grove, a New Zealand psychotherapist, I lightly touch upon and emerge information from a holistic network - a network that embodies their world, their experiences and surroundings. I aim to keep the clients information as pure as possible, uncontaminated without analyzing or trying to diagnose or label their current level of awareness. In treating everything as a whole system, with them being a part of that system, I guide them to integrate the things they are fighting so that they participate and co-inspire instead of working against them.

I just sent you a PM to my site...

Thanks again.

1eleven

visitor
Reaction score
And to confuse things further, a vedic astrologer told me I'll be writing at least one book dealing with "healing and relationships"

S

sooo

Thanks for the message and site. They give a much better idea what you and the services you offer are about. I wrote a response and suddenly the Clarity window closed on me. That's okay, it'll give me some time to think more on it. I'll get back to you.

Bruce

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
The issue I've run into in my work is taking a "clean" approach which really can apply to any goal or outcome. My assumptions, belief systems, experience do not matter to the client - by coaching 'cleanly,' a philosophy pioneered by the late David Grove, a New Zealand psychotherapist, I lightly touch upon and emerge information from a holistic network - a network that embodies their world, their experiences and surroundings..

Have been reading about him last week and a couple that use his approach ( can't recall their names) and focus more on metaphors.

Its funny, but when sooo, said Boo!!! in a previous post + the "difference" you need to make the word boon ( boo vs boon ) came in my mind and the Return of the hero from Campbell's Hero Journey . I don't know if you are familiar with his work but to me he is a Master re metaphors. Also the process you describe it feel like the hero's journey .

You said "emerge" and the other day I "gifted" my h49 painting under the title "emerging" for the opening of his FB page

I think your reading is very to the point after you described your ideas about your business. It feel like you invite those that wish to become the hero's , take those inner journey's and return back 49-ish carrying the boon with them.

my best wishes for your endeavors

eta : just saw that : "And to confuse things further, a vedic astrologer told me I'll be writing at least one book dealing with "healing and relationships" "

its my believe that its mainly the relationship it heals; the comradeship

Last edited:

1eleven

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks, anemos!

Yes, David Grove's earlier work revolved around eliciting metaphors (Clean Language). I mix this process in occasionally but the main framework I use are based on his later work. He later developed a "cleaner than clean" approach incorporating 'space' - mapping out our thought patterns in our physical surroundings. As he said, "space is my co-therapist." It's a fascinating process and I truly love what I do... it's time to reach more people and take it to the next level.

Thanks again.

S

sooo

Howdy, 1 eleven.

I've thought about your goals and how to bring increase to them and their 22-ing into our reality, this plain, this form, or species.

I would defer to you to provide the answer; just as we depend upon the Yi for the best fit answer.

My observation: You are shy, as so many creative people are. You promote an artist's wellness, but you suck at promoting yourself. It's too immodest, too showy; and since you want your 'clients' to find their own dao, what you tell them aren't words from their own well, but yours.

If you classify yourself and work to, say, 'self improvement', you will be competing in that circuit.

To simply my impression, continue social networking, in fact, increase it, but think what you teach, be what you teach. And then promote what you teach.

I'd definitely try to get with Hilary! You're already a member of her site, which isn't limited to this freebe space, we're chatting in. She provides and promotes ideas outside the I Ching, and may think of a place you'd fit, and you have a new audience.

That's the grass roots approach (guerrilla warfare, in marketing terms) that I believe would work best for you to get to that next level. Promote yourself, and don't be shy about it. I'd add your site link in your signature, go for hits from a buncha ching-freaks.

Nothing stopping you from opening threads in Open Space, conduct a little focus group, or present an idea or two. Share enough of your ideas to create interest. You can create polls, do pretty much whatever. And we do read that stuff here.

It's a delicate thing, to promote what you're doing, and not sounding like a used car salesman, but there are ways to provide free programing to radio, as a trial for a couple of rating periods. You do well, they pay you, and then you sell it to other stations outside that ADI. Syndication. Dr. Phil didn't get there by dreams and Yi readings alone. Neither did the Beatles.

But why am I telling you this stuff? This is your gig, man!

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
Yes, it was his no-invasive method and the "space" concept draw my attention.

it's time to reach more people and take it to the next level.

You might find handy this..... and the "red words" are interesting. ( he exaggerates a bit but makes a point)

Best of luck !

Last edited:

1eleven

visitor
Reaction score
Bruce,
Thank you for your input and most importantly your honesty. Telling me "I suck" was pretty awesome. I needed that. Marketing was never my thing so I've been trying to learn more about that - it's not an exact science and basically everyone has a different opinion or approach in that space (which drives me nuts). My site is, currently, a bit 'bold' - that was intentional to weed out those who aren't ready to change. I had a softer approach up there for a while and that didn't get results, either. This approach isn't getting the results I'd like (or traffic) so I'm taking your advice and applying where I see fit.

I asked a brand question (optimal brand position) and received:
53.1.2.3.4 > 10

10 and I go waaay back, over a year ago I got these responses - "What is my true vocation?" was 10.1.4 > 59 and "What about coaching as my profession?" was the exact same 10.1.4 > 59.

Thanks again for your insight and guidance.

Last edited:

1eleven

visitor
Reaction score
Yes, it was his no-invasive method and the "space" concept draw my attention.

You mind find handy this..... and the "red words" are interesting. ( he exaggerates a bit but makes a point)

Best of luck !

Thank you very much! I haven't watched the video, yet, but I grabbed the PDF. I do have Cialdini's book Influence.

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
Well said. As someone who originally wanted to be an architect this makes sense to me. I've thought before I may not be designing buildings or houses but helping others - myself included - build solid foundations.

We have something in common :) , and i can tell you , you are not the only one with that "background". Have heard it from other coaches/ counselors too.

Cialdini's work , which introduced to me not a while ago, a friend who is a genuine talent in marketing sales and the advice of a teacher in Uni who said " create such a combination of skills what it won't be easily found in the market place" , have create a question-mark in my mind regarding my path. :eek:anyways..

My site is, currently, a bit 'bold' - that was intentional to weed out those who aren't ready to change.

If I'm allowed to say that, being too picky at this stage its a bit risky. You offer an intangible product/service and even you are an expert with many years experience and you clients are those you only accept , there are chances that chemistry won't work. Maybe by making more easily for people approach you, learn about who you are, what are your tools, what procedures you use or even a discounted first session without further obligations or some freebies could increase your clientele. I agree with the proposition sooo shared.

About your reading: At the moment I can't offer an interpretation- something doesn't match in my mind, but my impression , in a visceral way, it is hesitation to ride the tiger.

S

sooo

it is hesitation to ride the tiger.

Agree.

Hi Jon,

I'm glad you took my criticism of your self-marketing lightly, as it was meant, as I stepped on the tiger's tail, but meant no harm. I'm only too familiar with that syndrome which I spoke of. I've promoted hundreds of commercial businesses, professionals and events, but whenever it comes to promoting myself, my ideas, such as writing at least one book, I totally suck. When I was playing, writing and singing, I needed a manager and a booking agent. Funny thing was the booking agency offered me an agent position to promote their talent roster, on the spot, but denied me opening gigs for recording artists, at least before a little juggling: getting my manager the job and he'd book me as an opener. A little sneaky and clever, kind of 46, or 10, but it got me on the road and exposed to thousands of new potential fans/customers. It opened several otherwise shut doors. I probably could have used your services too back then.

Right now, your positioning statement is "Where your Future is Born", which isn't bad (doesn't suck :D), but neither does it pop (sorry for the ad cliche), it doesn't stick in the mind when you walk away. The logo is clever, as is the name. You might consider the word 'Potential' in place of Future. Maybe incorporate the tiger somehow. Just ideas.

This too soft or too hard isn't too helpful. It's not a question of it being too hard or soft, but of it being remembered at the end of the day. Name, location (.com, phone, etc) and your unique selling proposition are the three keys to recall and identity. And it's all about benefits to your client. In your case, method does play a role, mainly for what it's not, but benefits are what sells. When I used to sell, I'd imagine a yellow sticky stuck on their forehead, which read: What's in it for me?

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).