...life can be translucent

Menu

"Blocked" and "Sprouting"- H12.1.4.6

redarmada

visitor
Reaction score
I asked the Yi, "What if I asked X to hang out on Halloween?" I received the answer: Hexagram 12, Blocked, changing lines 1, 4, and 6, relating to Hexagram 3, Sprouting.
I don't usually see Blocked or Sprouting as being statements to take action- I think they are definitely about sitting still and containing one's energies. When I sat back and thought about it, it seemed like this is telling me to sit on my hands and wait for the good results of abiding.
Nevertheless, the first leap of my mind went to other possible interpretations- that inviting this person to hang out will be "pulling up the Mao grass" and will "overturn the block". But as usual, I wonder if I am misinterpreting this in order to just tell myself Go For It.
Some questions:
Does 12.6 mean that the action I'm asking about will overturn the block? Or does it simply mean that I should overturn the block, in some way or another? Or simply that the blockage will be overturned anon?
Line 4 seems simply favorable in some translations, but in others implies that there is a "mandate of Heaven" required before the course is favorable. How do I know about this "mandate of Heaven"? Gut feeling? Signs and portents? Or (as per Legge's translation), does this mean that in "abiding in the Way" like Zhuangzi and drifting with Heaven (because I'm blocked) will cause companions to come to me?

Perhaps I'm putting too much thought into all of this. The "go for it" interpretation is the one which struck me first, and so it seems the most likely to me to be simple confirmation bias on my part. Can anybody tell me where I'm astray?

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I have my theory about answers with lines 1 and 6 moving...usually means the situation can be got through in one, like a turnaround...usually by the relating hexagram 'busting through' the perameters of the primary.

So here you have hex 3, sprouting 'bursting through' hex 12 'stopped'. I think the answer calls for an exploratory attitude. Don't wait, just do it. Find out if X is free....and others factors.

I don't see this as about waiting....I see it as about finding out what the situation is. Could be after all the agonising he isn't even in town or something.

I really think the cast favours explorations...give them a call or find out through other friends etc what plans are going around, that kind of thing.

C'mon now get cracking ...! :D

redarmada

visitor
Reaction score
Ah, that is interesting interpretation- I have distinct tendency to get lost in my own mind in a situation and really overcomplicate it :rolleyes:.
A previous reading told me the best thing to do in relation to this person was "Opening", no changing lines, "a noble one meets with companions for conversation" and all that, and I was just trying to figure out what the best way to do that would be. In any case, the lines in Blocked suggest the end of the block in some way or another- it couldn't hurt to ask!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).