...life can be translucent

Menu
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your Experiences with Unchanging Castings - Hexagram 32

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Default Your Experiences with Unchanging Castings - Hexagram 32

To me 32uc is nice and simple simple and straight forward.

When I get it I know the matter in question is going to go on going on......whether I like it or not.

I can recall a few occasions of receiving it where the thing in question has gone on for a very long time. Not necessarily for ever but certainly what seems like forever in the scale of my life and the question. It's a pretty firm emphatic answer I find. I also note there's times I really haven't wanted the thing in question to go on...but it does.

1. I recall many years ago asking if I and a partner would stay together. I got 32 uc and we were together for another 11 years...which certainly from the vantage point of when I asked the question was 'continuing' or 'lasting' or whatever we call 32.

2. I was concerned that someone I cared about had begun to work for and with someone I didn't much trust. I asked how that would go, thinking it might burn out quickly, but got 32 uc. Their working connection went on for a very long time. It did change after many years...but in a kind of organic way.

3. Plenty of times when it's been advice that conditions are stable or that there is no need to seek change for the sake of it....

For duration to continue there is always some change, but overall this thing rolls around as regularly as the seasons.

Therefore I have fallen into a bit of mental shorthand with 32uc. Whatever you are asking about go on just as have been doing/it will go on just as it has been.

Whilst looking for something else however I came across this in one of Hilary's Blog posts on 34 (http://onlineclarity.co.uk/answers/2...4/hexagram-34/)

In other words, thunder has always been stored up and contained as the inner trigram, right through until its emergence in Hexagram 32, where it suggests action moved by the inner ‘woodgrain’ of character. Then comes 34, where we have the huge challenge of letting thunder-action embody heaven-power without delusions of invincibility.

What happened, to make it possible for thunder finally to emerge and be expressed? The transition from the Upper to Lower Canon ‘happened’ – through Nourishment and Great Overstepping, Repeating Chasms and Clarity – a whole re-forging of self and ways of knowing, sculpting you into something fit to be inhabited and moved by spirits, in Hexagram 31.

(Naturally, as thunder moves outside, so its mirror trigram, the mountain, moves inside: instead of encountering it as limits and containment in the outer world, the Lower Canon will mostly experience the mountain as inner solidity. It actually only moves ‘out’ again to help create an inner lake in 41.)
    I'd not noticed before that the trigram of thunder has always been the lower trigram up till hexagram 32. Quoting it here because as I am doing both 31 and 32 in these unchanging threads I have a very clear feeling about how this is a transition point in the I Ching and the above addresses that.

The Image for 32 from Hilary's book

'Thunder and wind: Lasting
    A noble one stands firm and does not change his bearings'

whatever is happening is continuing on a steadfast cycle.....and I don't think it's that easy to get off ! I think you are in for the ride.

Wing says of 32 uc

"In it's static form, CONTINUING suggests the need to develop continuity and unity within the Self. The lower trigram, SUN, with it's steady penetrating efforts, gives direction to CHEN, movement, above. This direction determines all behaviour and should be consistent and principled. Undisciplined movement at this time will lead you away from your goals. Listen to your inner voice. look to enduring values."

Does anyone have a radically different experience of 32 uc ?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trojina For This Useful Post:

adarkana (September 27th, 2017), arimoshe (March 4th, 2016), Moss Elk (October 4th, 2014), steve (October 5th, 2017)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The trigrams making up 32. Duration are wind and thunder and thus the idea that there will be many disruptions and the encouragement that the superior man can endure them all.

I associate it with the postal service motto,
    "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night shall stop these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rosada For This Useful Post:

arimoshe (March 4th, 2016), galatea11 (October 5th, 2016), steve (October 5th, 2017), Trojina (December 23rd, 2013)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Sometimes I think 32uc can refer to "timing" issues. For example, I once complained to Yi that a pair of pants I'd just bought looked too big on me, and got 32uc. Then (months later) I gained a bit of weight, and shrunk another pair of pants I wore a lot, and ended up being glad I had the pair I thought was too big.

Another time, I was very upset about a complete lack of official communication about an important event. Yi gave me 32uc - I wasn't finding out right now, but at the appointed time - after a fixed duration of time - I would get the information I needed. The official source was, naturally, operating according to their own desired timing, not mine.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Liselle For This Useful Post:

arimoshe (March 4th, 2016), galatea11 (October 5th, 2016), knot (November 2nd, 2014), Trojina (January 17th, 2014)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Another sense: Wilhelm-Baynes' Judgement commentary mentions that the planets "move in their fixed orbits" and "[t]he seasons of the year follow a fixed law of change and transformation, hence can produce effects that endure."

"Effects that endure," in this sense, implies predictable effects. Example - one of my cats (Cat One) had to eat specific food. I kept Cat Two's food in a large dog crate. When I was away for a long time, I put Cat Two inside the crate with her food, but if I was going to be gone for only a couple minutes, I merely latched the crate shut as a precaution.

One time I came back into the room and realized I'd forgotten to latch the crate. I asked, "How likely Cat One ate Cat Two's food?" After reading W-B's commentary, I thought 32 unchanging was pointing out that Cat One didn't ever really try to get into the crate. It wasn't his usual "orbit," so it was safe to predict he didn't go in it this time, either.

[Edited to add] I thought that's what 32uc meant in this case because it fit W-B's commentary, but also because I couldn't think of any other explanation for the reading. I don't think Yi was merely saying that I hadn't been gone long enough for Cat One to get into Cat Two's food, because cats definitely do not need a lot of time to get into things. And if Cat One had (for example) been fast asleep when I left the room, and was still fast asleep when I returned, I doubt I would have cast a reading at all.

But I don't know that I've gotten any other 32uc readings where this "predictability" sense fits (vs. the oft-occurring "duration" or "timing" senses).

Has anyone else gotten 32uc like this? Does it make sense? Or not?
    Last edited by lisa; January 17th, 2014 at 01:07 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Liselle For This Useful Post:

Trojina (January 17th, 2014)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Fanatastic example epitomizing 32uc ....please relay my thanks to Cat 1 !

cats definitely have orbits.....I've never known an unorbited cat.

To observe one's cats orbit is to see 32uc in action IMO.

comfy resting place/sofa/cushion etc
    warmer or cooler comfy resting place
    dinner bowl/drinking bowl
    garden/neighbourhood
    possible roof/tree/mouse/bird adventure
    dinner bowl/drinking bowl
    comfy resting place/sofa cushion etc

and so it goes.

So it does look to me like your 32uc was a clear indicator cat 1 kept to his usual habits. Certainly a reassuring answer in that instance. Actually I can't think of a more solid reassurance in many cases than 32uc.

Seems to contain habits, routines and so on. 31 might be the pull out of one's orbit, to be affected, to be pulled off course. if there had been a heady strong smell of fish coming from the crate cat 1's habitual responses may have been over ridden by the 31 impulse to follow his bliss.

In the 31uc thread Hilary said this

About the pairing of 31 and 32: falling in love, and being married. Being inspired to become a musician, and spending hours a day practising, every day, for the rest of your life. Easy enough to moralise about 32, but it wouldn't happen - or wouldn't mean anything - without the 31.
    She seems to be saying 32 type continuity is based upon the initial pull of 31. While I see them as an inextricably linked pair I'm not sure of making a sequence of it since 31 can as much interrupt 32 as inspire it.

Well thinking about this is helping me to see how they interact as a pair.
    Last edited by Trojina; January 17th, 2014 at 02:36 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trojina For This Useful Post:

arimoshe (March 4th, 2016), Liselle (January 17th, 2014), Sayuki (March 6th, 2017)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Sometimes I think 32uc can refer to "timing" issues. For example, I once complained to Yi that a pair of pants I'd just bought looked too big on me, and got 32uc. Then (months later) I gained a bit of weight, and shrunk another pair of pants I wore a lot, and ended up being glad I had the pair I thought was too big.

Another time, I was very upset about a complete lack of official communication about an important event. Yi gave me 32uc - I wasn't finding out right now, but at the appointed time - after a fixed duration of time - I would get the information I needed. The official source was, naturally, operating according to their own desired timing, not mine.
    Oh just seen these...great examples !

Was slightly thrown at first as in UK 'pants' means underwear and I never get quite used to people speaking so openly about their pants (one day someone needs to tell me what Americans call their underwear ? knickers ?)

Re your 2nd example that seems very fitting (no pun intended) also. I've had 53uc in that kind of situation too.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trojan View Post
    please relay my thanks to Cat 1 !
    Sadly, he is not with me anymore. But he was chock full of love, so I'm sure he is purring his acknowledgement from Kitty Heaven.

I've never known an unorbited cat.
    Agreed. And agree with the need to have "comfy resting place" and "bowl" more than once in the list.

So it does look to me like your 32uc was a clear indicator cat 1 kept to his usual habits.
    Very happy that you think this made sense! I both did and did not feel on shaky ground with it, lol.

Is there...some other hexagram that means habits, or habitual behavior? Have the notion there is but am not coming up with it (could be dreaming)...hex 29 might mean forming habits, via repetition and practice, but is that really the same - maybe I am thinking of 29 -

Quote Originally Posted by trojan View Post
    Was slightly thrown at first as in UK 'pants' means underwear
    Oh dear! What are outerwear pants called in the UK? In the US outer pants are called "pants" or "slacks" (if they're jeans, or overalls, etc., we use those specific words, but pants or slacks are the general terms).

one day someone needs to tell me what Americans call their underwear ? knickers ?
    "Underwear" is the catch-all term for undergarments. "Underpants" (I'm pretty sure) can refer to mens' or ladies' bottom undergarments, but "panties" is only used for ladies'. Men's top undergarments are usually called "undershirts" or "t-shirts," although "t-shirt" also refers to the outergarments worn by both men and women.

There are two kinds of men's bottom undergarments: boxers and briefs - is it the same in the UK? "Shorts" can be used to refer to the boxer style (outerwear short pants, both mens' and womens', are also called shorts). Occasionally the brief style are called "tighty whities" (not a term I've ever used, though).

Am not sure about the term "knickers." It doesn't sound completely unfamiliar as an undergarment term, but I'm not sure why; I've never known anyone who calls their underpants knickers. Knickers, to me, means the style of short outer pants fastened just below the knee that were common in some olden decade but nowadays are worn only by the occasional golfer.

I've had 53uc in that kind of situation too.
    Yes. 5, also. I would have reacted the same to any of those three here: "Oh, okay. LATER."
    Last edited by lisa; January 17th, 2014 at 08:02 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I made another thread for UK/US translations as it may be useful. Have replied there

http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/frien...119#post184119

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trojina For This Useful Post:

arimoshe (March 4th, 2016), Liselle (January 17th, 2014)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Is there...some other hexagram that means habits, or habitual behavior? Have the notion there is but am not coming up with it (could be dreaming)...hex 29 might mean forming habits, via repetition and practice, but is that really the same - maybe I am thinking of 29 -
    Yes 29 seems to come up around habitual emotional chasms, like complexes. The thing is in 29 you can't see it coming and have to deal with it anew each time it hits you between the eyes....whatever it is. That old jealousy or insecurity or whatever.

I think 32 has predictability as you said, a 'usualness' if that were a word. And pussy cats are mostly pretty predictable in their habits.....except sometimes

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Trojina For This Useful Post:

Liselle (January 17th, 2014)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi Trojina!
    I was looking for the 32 unchanging and came across your post.
    My question is about "1. I recall many years ago asking if I and a partner would stay together. I got 32 uc and we were together for another 11 years...which certainly from the vantage point of when I asked the question was 'continuing' or 'lasting' or whatever we call 32."

So you and the partner split up? How was it "Lasting" then?

I received the same hexagram about my husband's and mine marriage potential about two weeks ago in the midst of some drama between him and I. I got very excited that we are going to pass this ugly stage and stay married. But it looks like we are moving towards the divorce. So I am a bit confused.
    Would you be able to comment on that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast