...life can be translucent

Menu

Your Experiences with Unchanging Castings - Hexagram 32

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
To me 32uc is nice and simple :D simple and straight forward.

When I get it I know the matter in question is going to go on going on......whether I like it or not.

I can recall a few occasions of receiving it where the thing in question has gone on for a very long time. Not necessarily for ever but certainly what seems like forever in the scale of my life and the question. It's a pretty firm emphatic answer I find. I also note there's times I really haven't wanted the thing in question to go on...but it does.

1. I recall many years ago asking if I and a partner would stay together. I got 32 uc and we were together for another 11 years...which certainly from the vantage point of when I asked the question was 'continuing' or 'lasting' or whatever we call 32.

2. I was concerned that someone I cared about had begun to work for and with someone I didn't much trust. I asked how that would go, thinking it might burn out quickly, but got 32 uc. Their working connection went on for a very long time. It did change after many years...but in a kind of organic way.

3. Plenty of times when it's been advice that conditions are stable or that there is no need to seek change for the sake of it....

For duration to continue there is always some change, but overall this thing rolls around as regularly as the seasons.

Therefore I have fallen into a bit of mental shorthand with 32uc. Whatever you are asking about go on just as have been doing/it will go on just as it has been.

Whilst looking for something else however I came across this in one of Hilary's Blog posts on 34 (http://onlineclarity.co.uk/answers/2009/04/14/hexagram-34/)

In other words, thunder has always been stored up and contained as the inner trigram, right through until its emergence in Hexagram 32, where it suggests action moved by the inner ‘woodgrain’ of character. Then comes 34, where we have the huge challenge of letting thunder-action embody heaven-power without delusions of invincibility.

What happened, to make it possible for thunder finally to emerge and be expressed? The transition from the Upper to Lower Canon ‘happened’ – through Nourishment and Great Overstepping, Repeating Chasms and Clarity – a whole re-forging of self and ways of knowing, sculpting you into something fit to be inhabited and moved by spirits, in Hexagram 31.

(Naturally, as thunder moves outside, so its mirror trigram, the mountain, moves inside: instead of encountering it as limits and containment in the outer world, the Lower Canon will mostly experience the mountain as inner solidity. It actually only moves ‘out’ again to help create an inner lake in 41.)

I'd not noticed before that the trigram of thunder has always been the lower trigram up till hexagram 32. Quoting it here because as I am doing both 31 and 32 in these unchanging threads I have a very clear feeling about how this is a transition point in the I Ching and the above addresses that.

The Image for 32 from Hilary's book

'Thunder and wind: Lasting
A noble one stands firm and does not change his bearings'

whatever is happening is continuing on a steadfast cycle.....and I don't think it's that easy to get off ! :eek: I think you are in for the ride.

Wing says of 32 uc

"In it's static form, CONTINUING suggests the need to develop continuity and unity within the Self. The lower trigram, SUN, with it's steady penetrating efforts, gives direction to CHEN, movement, above. This direction determines all behaviour and should be consistent and principled. Undisciplined movement at this time will lead you away from your goals. Listen to your inner voice. look to enduring values."

Does anyone have a radically different experience of 32 uc ?

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
The trigrams making up 32. Duration are wind and thunder and thus the idea that there will be many disruptions and the encouragement that the superior man can endure them all.

I associate it with the postal service motto,
"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night shall stop these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes I think 32uc can refer to "timing" issues. For example, I once complained to Yi that a pair of pants I'd just bought looked too big on me, and got 32uc. Then (months later) I gained a bit of weight, and shrunk another pair of pants I wore a lot, and ended up being glad I had the pair I thought was too big.

Another time, I was very upset about a complete lack of official communication about an important event. Yi gave me 32uc - I wasn't finding out right now, but at the appointed time - after a fixed duration of time - I would get the information I needed. The official source was, naturally, operating according to their own desired timing, not mine.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Another sense: Wilhelm-Baynes' Judgement commentary mentions that the planets "move in their fixed orbits" and "[t]he seasons of the year follow a fixed law of change and transformation, hence can produce effects that endure."

"Effects that endure," in this sense, implies predictable effects. Example - one of my cats (Cat One) had to eat specific food. I kept Cat Two's food in a large dog crate. When I was away for a long time, I put Cat Two inside the crate with her food, but if I was going to be gone for only a couple minutes, I merely latched the crate shut as a precaution.

One time I came back into the room and realized I'd forgotten to latch the crate. I asked, "How likely Cat One ate Cat Two's food?" After reading W-B's commentary, I thought 32 unchanging was pointing out that Cat One didn't ever really try to get into the crate. It wasn't his usual "orbit," so it was safe to predict he didn't go in it this time, either.

[Edited to add] I thought that's what 32uc meant in this case because it fit W-B's commentary, but also because I couldn't think of any other explanation for the reading. I don't think Yi was merely saying that I hadn't been gone long enough for Cat One to get into Cat Two's food, because cats definitely do not need a lot of time to get into things. And if Cat One had (for example) been fast asleep when I left the room, and was still fast asleep when I returned, I doubt I would have cast a reading at all.

But I don't know that I've gotten any other 32uc readings where this "predictability" sense fits (vs. the oft-occurring "duration" or "timing" senses).

Has anyone else gotten 32uc like this? Does it make sense? Or not?

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Fanatastic example epitomizing 32uc ....please relay my thanks to Cat 1 ! :bows:

cats definitely have orbits.....I've never known an unorbited cat.

To observe one's cats orbit is to see 32uc in action IMO.

comfy resting place/sofa/cushion etc
warmer or cooler comfy resting place
dinner bowl/drinking bowl
garden/neighbourhood
possible roof/tree/mouse/bird adventure
dinner bowl/drinking bowl
comfy resting place/sofa cushion etc

and so it goes.

So it does look to me like your 32uc was a clear indicator cat 1 kept to his usual habits. Certainly a reassuring answer in that instance. Actually I can't think of a more solid reassurance in many cases than 32uc.

Seems to contain habits, routines and so on. 31 might be the pull out of one's orbit, to be affected, to be pulled off course. if there had been a heady strong smell of fish coming from the crate cat 1's habitual responses may have been over ridden by the 31 impulse to follow his bliss.

In the 31uc thread Hilary said this

About the pairing of 31 and 32: falling in love, and being married. Being inspired to become a musician, and spending hours a day practising, every day, for the rest of your life. Easy enough to moralise about 32, but it wouldn't happen - or wouldn't mean anything - without the 31.

She seems to be saying 32 type continuity is based upon the initial pull of 31. While I see them as an inextricably linked pair I'm not sure of making a sequence of it since 31 can as much interrupt 32 as inspire it.

Well thinking about this is helping me to see how they interact as a pair.

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes I think 32uc can refer to "timing" issues. For example, I once complained to Yi that a pair of pants I'd just bought looked too big on me, and got 32uc. Then (months later) I gained a bit of weight, and shrunk another pair of pants I wore a lot, and ended up being glad I had the pair I thought was too big.

Another time, I was very upset about a complete lack of official communication about an important event. Yi gave me 32uc - I wasn't finding out right now, but at the appointed time - after a fixed duration of time - I would get the information I needed. The official source was, naturally, operating according to their own desired timing, not mine.

Oh just seen these...great examples !

Was slightly thrown at first as in UK 'pants' means underwear and I never get quite used to people speaking so openly about their pants :rofl: (one day someone needs to tell me what Americans call their underwear ? knickers ?)

Re your 2nd example that seems very fitting (no pun intended) also. I've had 53uc in that kind of situation too.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
please relay my thanks to Cat 1 !
Sadly, he is not with me anymore. But he was chock full of love, so I'm sure he is purring his acknowledgement from Kitty Heaven.

I've never known an unorbited cat.

:rofl: Agreed. And agree with the need to have "comfy resting place" and "bowl" more than once in the list.

So it does look to me like your 32uc was a clear indicator cat 1 kept to his usual habits.

Very happy that you think this made sense! I both did and did not feel on shaky ground with it, lol.

Is there...some other hexagram that means habits, or habitual behavior? Have the notion there is but am not coming up with it (could be dreaming)...hex 29 might mean forming habits, via repetition and practice, but is that really the same - maybe I am thinking of 29 - :confused:

Was slightly thrown at first as in UK 'pants' means underwear
Oh dear! What are outerwear pants called in the UK? In the US outer pants are called "pants" or "slacks" (if they're jeans, or overalls, etc., we use those specific words, but pants or slacks are the general terms).

one day someone needs to tell me what Americans call their underwear ? knickers ?
"Underwear" is the catch-all term for undergarments. "Underpants" (I'm pretty sure) can refer to mens' or ladies' bottom undergarments, but "panties" is only used for ladies'. Men's top undergarments are usually called "undershirts" or "t-shirts," although "t-shirt" also refers to the outergarments worn by both men and women.

There are two kinds of men's bottom undergarments: boxers and briefs - is it the same in the UK? "Shorts" can be used to refer to the boxer style (outerwear short pants, both mens' and womens', are also called shorts). Occasionally the brief style are called "tighty whities" (not a term I've ever used, though).

Am not sure about the term "knickers." It doesn't sound completely unfamiliar as an undergarment term, but I'm not sure why; I've never known anyone who calls their underpants knickers. Knickers, to me, means the style of short outer pants fastened just below the knee that were common in some olden decade but nowadays are worn only by the occasional golfer.

I've had 53uc in that kind of situation too.
Yes. 5, also. I would have reacted the same to any of those three here: "Oh, okay. LATER."

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Is there...some other hexagram that means habits, or habitual behavior? Have the notion there is but am not coming up with it (could be dreaming)...hex 29 might mean forming habits, via repetition and practice, but is that really the same - maybe I am thinking of 29 -

Yes 29 seems to come up around habitual emotional chasms, like complexes. The thing is in 29 you can't see it coming and have to deal with it anew each time it hits you between the eyes....whatever it is. That old jealousy or insecurity or whatever.

I think 32 has predictability as you said, a 'usualness' if that were a word. And pussy cats are mostly pretty predictable in their habits.....except sometimes

vikk

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Trojina!
I was looking for the 32 unchanging and came across your post.
My question is about "1. I recall many years ago asking if I and a partner would stay together. I got 32 uc and we were together for another 11 years...which certainly from the vantage point of when I asked the question was 'continuing' or 'lasting' or whatever we call 32."

So you and the partner split up? How was it "Lasting" then?

I received the same hexagram about my husband's and mine marriage potential about two weeks ago in the midst of some drama between him and I. I got very excited that we are going to pass this ugly stage and stay married. But it looks like we are moving towards the divorce. So I am a bit confused.
Would you be able to comment on that?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I wrote of my own experience and for me things went as they had been for a very long time.. I haven't said 32 means things will last until the end of time since as we know all things change.

I wrote the introduction post for the 32uc thread...It's not meant as a treatise on 'what 32uc means'...it's just my personal experience of my own reading for my own life situation which I shared.

How 32uc may play out for you I don't know as I'm not you and I'm not in your situation.

Perhaps if you want help with the reading all about your marriage you could post it in SR. Then when you feel you have an idea how it played out you could come back and tell us. Of course in sharing experiences we don't always know at the time of writing if they fully played out or if there is more to come....but we can share anyway and see how we go.

V

Vissino

1. I recall many years ago asking if I and a partner would stay together. I got 32 uc and we were together for another 11 years...which certainly from the vantage point of when I asked the question was 'continuing' or 'lasting' or whatever we call 32.

My experience with 32 unchanging is different. Before 2-3 moths from my brokeup I had asked: Is he going to ask me to break up?
32.. I was so happy with the answer! I thought that our love will last... Unfortunately, 32 confused me. :(

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Well 32uc generally indicates things will go on as they are at the time you ask. When I asked I was already living with him. If you were having difficulties with the person when you asked then perhaps the 32uc indicated these would continue, you'd go on the same way.

compass

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I've recently been given a choice of participating in one of two poetry readings next year. I would share the headline slot with another poet at either one. In the one that comes earlier in the year I will be with a more well-known poet than I will be at the latter one. So I asked the I Ching which should I read at, and got 32uc for the second one, and 63.2->5 for the first.

Although the second reading is almost 8 months away, I'm interpreting 32uc is saying that reading will have more of an enduring effect (on me?) than the first one. Or given the track of things, it's where I'm going to end up reading, which almost becomes self-fulfilling, doesn't it, because that's where I'm leaning to choose?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I've recently been given a choice of participating in one of two poetry readings next year. I would share the headline slot with another poet at either one. In the one that comes earlier in the year I will be with a more well-known poet than I will be at the latter one. So I asked the I Ching which should I read at, and got 32uc for the second one, and 63.2->5 for the first.

Although the second reading is almost 8 months away, I'm interpreting 32uc is saying that reading will have more of an enduring effect (on me?) than the first one. Or given the track of things, it's where I'm going to end up reading, which almost becomes self-fulfilling, doesn't it, because that's where I'm leaning to choose?

This almost seems to be one for 'Shared Readings' since you seem to be asking for ideas on your reading rather than saying how 32uc worked out for you.

If this is a choice between 63.2 and 32uc I'd see it as you are pretty much already settled on the second one and that is the one you need to go through with. I think the opportunity for the first one would reoccur, you won't lose anything by not doing it, you can let that go like the lady in the carriage isn't worrying because any loss can be recouped later. But 32uc is a good solid answer, a direction already in motion by the looks of it, so stay true to that one is my view....which pretty much coincides precisely with your view on the reading :D

V

veavea

I love the UC hexagram threads.

I just looked back for examples of 32uc. I only can find it twice, back in 2014 - once 22nd April, once 22nd November, neither time did I record the question!! :(

However - looking back at diary entries from the time, both times I was getting advice from psychics on my future destiny. The April one - no entry for the 22nd, but on 25th an entry about a psychic reading I had which described meeting a man with whom there would be potential for a long term relationship - a very detailed description, including a distinctive scar. Well, I met him a month after the reading and he's still in my orbit - although we've never quite coalesced the relationship! In fact he texted me today after a long silence and I'm yet to decide on my reply! The November 22nd diary entry was about my anguish over not being able to write - I was speaking to my 'spirit guide' (or myself, I'm not sure) and my 'guide' was encouraging me to write and I was completely blocked - and feeling so wretched because all I wanted to do was write.

Well, about 8 months later I did start writing and publishing articles, and I've just started writing a book and sent the first 30k words to my agent.

So, in retrospect, I accept that I didn't record the actual questions that resulted in the 32uc. But looking back at what was happening at the time, these were activities or relationships that have been a long time in the making. 32uc feels as if I am on the right path, but not yet very far along the path. But, just keep on keeping on and you will get there. Keep on doing what you're doing.

The fact that both readings occurred on the 22nd of the month seems significant too. I believe in numerology 22 is a number of spiritual building - it's also the number my name reduces to. Building something lasting that has meaning. Which may also convey 32uc?

Oh, one more thing - his birthday is on the 22nd of the month.

steve

visitor
Reaction score
I have found the answer to simply mean "be consistent" when asking about my work which I guess is not such a bad answer.

Being consistent with work leads to better things.

Steve

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
This morning I was frustrated and sad. Everything I make - books especially - leads to a beautiful thing but not to any real result. Beautiful photobook, but hardly anyone knows of its existence. Another book with a text which is interesting for a special group of people, but only 1 person bought it. And quite a lot other things but it gets too long to mention them all.

Translation of the Shenshu oracle, but I cannot get Amazon to accept it (cause: old press which cannot cope with layers, which layers,where???). It got printed in Holland and I sold 20, so okay, there is something. But it is tiny compared to so many things I did with so little real result.

So I asked Yi. Not a clear question, just "HELP- why is it like this??" I got 32 uc.

At first I thought yeah, same old answer, just go on and don't let anything get you off your road. But then I read about Wu, the son of king Wen, who decided to build an entire city only for the spirits of the ancestors, the gods, anything up there and down below but not for the people in between, the people who live in houses in cities.

I realized I did all of those things because I have to, want to, need to, whatever, but not one of them for making money with them or spreading them in the world. If that happens - great - but if it doesn't, it will not change their purpose.

It was not what I wanted to hear, but yet it was a huge relief. I do it for the deeper values. The value of those things, maybe, but certainly for my own soul. I felt that this was why I am who I am, what I am supposed to be doing.

Not creating the city like in 31, but honoring it, making it endure, 32, and going there over and over again to bring the sacrifices.

Last edited:

lucuma

visitor
Reaction score
Just my two cents...
I received 32 un. when asking if someone was going to contact me during a certain day. I read here in different shared readings that the person would continue/endure to do whatever they were doing (at the moment of my cast they were not contacting me, obviously), so I thought they were not going to get in touch.
But they did contacted me that same evening!
So I guess 32 meant that they were thinking about calling, so they continued to do just that.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).