...life can be translucent

Menu

Your Experiences with Unchanging Castings-Hexagram 35

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I've already typed this once but those stupid f****g hackers got it lost ....:rant: anyway so hexagram 35 unchanging ? What did I say about it ?

I think I said I was never very clear about it as an answer, not at all. Looking in my journal a common theme around 35uc seemed to be questions about how I'd be received in some sense, even if I hadn't seen the question that way at the time, basically that was what I was wanting to know. And in thinking about the pair, 35 and 36 I particularly felt these to be about how we are perceived, met and understood and the impact that has on us. Often how we are received is out of our control so it's quite scary and I related how I felt this as a child where some teachers might always praise me and think I was great :D and other teachers would seem to persecute me :weep: and for several years I had the same one who could do both to an extreme degree in the course of a day :confused: I'm talking of how it feels as a small child, it's hard to make sense of others reactions to us.

I refer to childhood because I think that's where the feeling quality of this pair would be really keenly felt. In later life, going to new places, new jobs and so on, I think many still feel those basic worries about "will they like me, will I be accepted ?' etc etc To me 35 and 36 are often about dealing with the social experience of either being flavour of the month, 35,or being an outsider, not understood, 36.

Because I had few examples in my own journal I went and had a look in Wikiwing in Reading Circle where people give their experiences. There I read an experience of Hilary's. She's given permission for me to copy it here

Unchanging - is all this activity and advancing actually going anywhere? (As prediction: maybe not. However, all this activity may be laying the foundation for future developments.)
Experience: 35 unchanging as reading for the week. I spent the week making great progress in installing and setting up program a, with much energy; then found it would not work with the essential program b, which rendered it perfectly useless. But at least this got me thinking about what I really needed

My personal experience is this pair is particularly social in impact....but that's just me.

So what did Lise say of this pair

Do it all yourself

35 -God helps who helps himself
36 -Forget status, focus on autonomy

For me that links in with my ideas on the pair because the important thing is how to handle the times of 35 and 36. They can seem quite random, beyond our control. Maybe at one workplace your boss loves you, but in your next job the new boss thinks you are a waste of space. You are still the same person so how can you handle things ?

In 35 the advice is to make the most of opportunities. When doors open go through them and use the gifts you have been given. That is the gift of being favourably viewed. Use it because it won't last.....36 times come around. There are gifts of horses and Hilary stresses in her book not just to enjoy what you have but to utilize these gifts to the full...get the horses mated or whatever...

Looking back at my journal I think what I see now is that doors were open but I was a tad clueless about it, not fully understanding something could be achieved perhaps. perhaps not taking full advantage of the time because I didn't realise it was a 35 time.

I'll quote Hilary on the pair 35 and 36. From her book ( http://www.amazon.com/Ching-Walking-your-creating-future/dp/1848374534)

Advancing forms a pair with Hexagram 36, Brightness Hidden:

'Advancing means daylight, Brightness Hidden means Castigation'

Now, you are the one who is popular, blessed and bathed in sunlight; sometimes, you are the one who is punished, pursued and cast out into the dark.

Wing, from the 'I Ching Workbook' says of 35

"There is clarity , LI, in the upper realm, which springs forth from sincere devotion, K'UN, in the lower trigram of human affairs. When PROGRESS occurs without change it reflects a sound and stable position. This lasting accord affords you a foundation from which you can improve your moral and philosophical outlook. Future endeavours can begin on a higher plane of understanding. Goals can become refined and truly worthy."

Hmmm I'm not sure I ever would have found that applicable in any circumstance of receiving 35 uc but perhaps you have ?

Please share your experiences of 35 uc :D

Last edited:

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
This is a very non-substantive example, but I once got 35uc to indicate I should take the divided highway rather than city streets to get to the other side of town.

(You are probably one of the hardest hit by the :rant: hackers...my sympathies. Am sorry to be of no help recreating anything at all; I delete all the email notifications as soon as I've seen them :( ).

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Maria just posted this at the prompt of Blue Angel in the 'Writing Games R Us' thread and I saw this cycle of hexagrams 35 and 36 over and over in it. Not to mention hex 5.

[video=youtube;IQRWeZy-S8Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IQRWeZy-S8Q#t=5[/video]

But that crescendo of 35, at the height of fame, followed by the 36 times of loneliness is so perfectly portrayed I'm posting it here too. It seems to me a brilliant way of helping children understand how times can go up and down, and how to cope. I think it's a kids mini Yi. I never saw it before, but I think many will have.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Talking to someone in SR re 35uc it occurred to me the pair 35/36 could refer to states of self esteem ?

In 36 it's low and you hide yourself to protect it

Maybe in 35uc it's the opposite and you are really big headed ? :mischief: ( just kidding)

Not sure I will have to notice how pleased with myself I feel next time I get 35uc.

But self confidence/lack of self confidence may be an inner way to experience this pair.

Note in the Seuss story the little guy gets more and more popular and famous and confident
and then
the page turns
and he isn't.
That's 35 and 36

S

sooo

Most of the time 35 represents (to me) progress in spite of obstacles, opposition or oppression. 36, on the other hand, as a pair, represents protection from obstacles, opposition or oppression. Both have to do with light, either brightening or darkening ones light. Light can represent many things, including which route is more advantageous to take.

knotxx

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I have gotten 35uc kind of a lot over the past couple of years, about my career, mostly, and have found it a rather frustrating experience -- I want to say "so far," because I do feel like there's some kind of hint of progress to come, or the preparations for progress made (maybe Wing's 'sound and stable position'?). But that might just be me being optimistic grrrrrrr.

I have recently taken to asking "what does unchanging mean in this case," which is sometimes helpful and sometimes just further confusing.

Last fall I was feeling all confused about what I even SHOULD want in terms of career recognition and money, so what do I need to know about that? 35uc What does unchanging mean? 63.6-37 Which made me even more anxious in some ways -- I don't feel like I'm resting on my laurels, I don't HAVE any laurels, but . . . so I'm working on seeing what I need to do.

Last summer I asked if my book would sell to more foreign publishers than the couple it already had--35uc--what does uc mean? 19.3-11. Aha, not so easy (and it hasn't) (so far).

A similar question around that time: will someone buy the movie rights to my book? 35uc What does unchanging mean? 14.5-1 So THAT sounds good but . . . nothing so far.

Last spring I asked how to fix my attitude toward money (which I worry about a lot), got 35uc, ooookay. And on a sudden intuition I said--just relax about it, be freer, trust more? And got 36.3. And despite my continuing to worry, and some big terrifying roadblocks to getting payments I should get, it's actually been fine so far.

A couple of years ago, when it looked like a publisher was going to make a solid offer on my book, and I was insanely nervous: will this deal really happen? 41.3-26. What does that mean? 35uc What does unchanging mean here? 31.4.5-15 [and the deal did go through very well, nine days later]

There are more but I don't know if these are even helpful. They're not that helpful to ME. I do get a sense of 35uc as suggesting a general period of things going well, but with some reservation or holdup. Or maybe "going well," but with visible results only on some rather geologic time scale.

Two more slightly funny examples:

Last fall I had gained some weight, was worried, asked, got 35uc. I blew up at yi and said fiercely "I am SO SICK of 35uc” -- got 14uc. Don't even know what that means, but it made me laugh. And my weight has been pretty much back to normal since soon thereafter.

Recently a friend told me that I would soon have Pluto opposite my sun for . . . some insane period of time, years and years--and that that might be difficult. Not 100% sure what I think about astrology but I asked yi what that transit would mean and got 35uc. ARGH: what does uc mean here 11.1.3.5-29. Which sounds livable.

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
Last fall I had gained some weight, was worried, asked, got 35uc. I blew up at yi and said fiercely "I am SO SICK of 35uc” -- got 14uc. Don't even know what that means, but it made me laugh. And my weight has been pretty much back to normal since soon thereafter.

:rofl:Great reading !!!

you : "I am SO SICK of 35uc”
Yi: well, its all you can have.. be happy

( or something like that)

when this thread started was thinking about 35 and 14 and that they have something common... regarding abilities etc. Now the profound thing I choose not to post _ cause its funny- is that 14 feels more like a pat in the shoulders saying "here here" while 35, imo, more like a kick to ..(You know) while saying "go go"

knotxx

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
you : "I am SO SICK of 35uc”
Yi: well, its all you can have.. be happy
yes exactly! although I think with an added "like it or not, it is your treasure"

precision grace

visitor
Reaction score
Seems I am going through an unchanging hexagram phase. I only yesterday cast 23 uc for health issues and today I received 35 uc when thinking about what to do about my job situation which is making me unhappy. The progress would imply moving on and up, but I have nowhere obvious to move to. Perplexing. Perhaps the answer is about progress happening inspite of all evidence to the contrary. Not really sure - these uc hexagrams can sometimes be completely opposite of the unambiguous answer you automatically hope you've received.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I was frustrated about a work situation. The person who was supposed to be in charge didn't know anything about how to do the job and went out of their way to find fault.

I asked the IC to advise me and got 35 uc which I interpreted as meaning,

"(Ideally) the powerful prince is honored with horses in large numbers and in a single day he is granted audience three times. (However if the king is an idiot then) the superior man himself (must) brighten his bright virtue." Wilhelm

I gave myself a pat on the back and continued working. The situation never "progressed."

---
Well actually it did progress - eventually I spotted an opportunity to quietly leave the job without fanfare and I grabbed it as in 35. Progressing to 36. Darkening of the Light.

Last edited:

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
interesting your comment on being received T . . I actually had one experience that could be seen in this way, I had been reading on a specific issue and then thought of taking a look in a forum specializing in it but when I visited their site I realized it was members only . . I then asked Yi what do I need to now abt it and I got 35 unchanging. the feeling of it though was not that of 'not being received' but that of clarifying more what is demanded to achieve progress . . Well, the hexagram doesn't say anything about reaching any destination, this prince trains his horses just for the sake of training them, there's no endpoint in sight . . . not one that I see anyways.

Thinking more about it I find 35 is more like receiving a powerful push onwards . . a chance to take some vigorous steps towards some unspecified goal, yet not the goal itself. I was gonna say it reminds me of 9 in that sense, only this one is bright and sunny and full of enjoyment and vigor while 9 is cloudy and misty and full small things that do their small stuff until it rains .. well maybe 35 is what you do on a sunny summer day and 9 what we do on a grey autumn one . .?

Last I had 35 un I also asked what it was about and got 3.2 as a response, which I think fits well in general: not yet achieving something but keeping a goal in mind, completing the work in this field to make it yet onwards

V

veavea

Thinking more about it I find 35 is more like receiving a powerful push onwards . . a chance to take some vigorous steps towards some unspecified goal, yet not the goal itself.

I just received 35 uc about a job application I was completing. I had been just about to press submit about an hour ago, and thought I'd check in with the Yi - 'can I press send yet?' - Yi said 'NO' - well, that was my interpretation, I had 8.1.2.4.6 > 10 which I took to mean, it's nearly there but you need to sort out the way you've addressed the letter (my cover letter was definitely lacking - although the substance was mostly there I hadn't even bothered to find the correct person to address it to!! Oops). [Blofeld: Attempts to bring about unity when there is no one at the head result in disaster.] :rofl:

I went back to it, did my research, found the right person (ha!), made sure I'd crossed all the Ts and sounded super-excited about the job (rather than a bit pissed off, which I realised was my earlier tone). Checked with Yi again. 'How about now?' 35 uc. I took it to mean: YES! go right ahead! :)

Like you say, a powerful push onwards...

OH, and also, confirms my impression that UC hexagrams always seem to suggest that no additional action is required right now...

drSurya

visitor
Reaction score
In my experience 35 often means "money is about to arrive (a reward)". Getting paid, being offered money, getting a raise, prolongation of a contract, winning a lottery, receiving a discount at the local shop. Sometimes it's 5 cents, sometimes 50 thousand. Can mean a "rewarding experience" in love life, too.

D

deflatormouse

These are extracts quoted directly from my journals. I apologize if I am repeating others' thoughts as I have not read over this thread immediately prior to posting.
"pIdea" is a shorthand for "parenthetical idea". I have adopted this format from the notebooks of cellist, composer and singer Arthur Russell (see Marble - 'Buddhist Bubblegum: Esoteric Buddhism in the Creative Process of Arthur Russell', New York Times - 'Inside the Trove of Genre-Buster Arthur Russell').

"pIdea: (Granted a wish, but using it just to wish for more wishes.)"
"pIdea: (Gambling, 'betting on a horse.')
"pIdea: (Maybe let him hustle me at cards or pool. Let him think he's hustling me but lose on purpose.)"
"pIdea: (Maybe whatever you have, you aren't happy with. It's never going to be enough.)"
"pIdea: (Investment property or opportunity. Not enjoying liquidity now but building equity, assets, dividends. Not cashing in your chips yet.)"
"pIdea: (Like ecoli DNA. You can't see one molecule, you can only see a bunch of them clustered together. Might not bother to pick an individual penny off the sidewalk, or even notice it.)"
"pIdea: (Doing the calculations, arithmetic, counting. Equasions. Formulas, formulaic predictability. It's simple math.)"
"pIdea: (Concept of expansion as 'populating' maybe more like 59.4, or is there a connection?)"
"pIdea: (Maybe I'm making more of this than it actually is.)"
"pIdea: ('Et cetera' - this could be expanding on the last reading.)"
"pIdea: (If I give him an inch, he'll take a whole foot, and/or I'm the same way.)"

To be continued (hopefully).

Last edited:

toblindfoldher

visitor
Reaction score
Memorably baffling 35uc

I was about to give an artist talk, got dressed in my European winter formals: oxblood turtleneck dress, tan woolen peacoat, black leather oxfords. Looked at myself in the mirror, wondered if I was overdressed, asked the i ching to comment on my outfit.

35 uc - I took it as "You look fine, go ahead."

Headed to the venue, and saw that my fellow artist presenter was dressed very casually. Felt weird looking so made up, so I went back to my room and changed into something more homely: baggy gray sweater, unflattering gray winter trousers, chunky white sneakers.

Until now I am not sure what 35uc meant that day. Actually, nobody told me to change my outfit. I wonder if I would have gotten more attention if I had stuck with my slinky turtleneck dress. ;)

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I was about to give an artist talk, got dressed in my European winter formals: oxblood turtleneck dress, tan woolen peacoat, black leather oxfords. Looked at myself in the mirror, wondered if I was overdressed, asked the i ching to comment on my outfit.

Headed to the venue, and saw that my fellow artist presenter was dressed very casually. Felt weird looking so made up, so I went back to my room and changed into something more homely: baggy gray sweater, unflattering gray winter trousers, chunky white sneakers.

:rant: I hate that you did this ...I hate it that people do this as it means going around looking as dull and nondescript as other people. It takes no more time and energy to put nice clothes on as it does to put boring saggy clothes on so why would you dim your light like 36 when 35 asks you to shine in who you are.

Also I rant because I heard someone else say this the other day and she went and took off a nice new dress because she thought she would look 'over dressed' because the people she was meeting always wear murky grey or dark clothes in saggy arsed fabrics...I mean why ? Why in a world full of colour and splendour do people feel the need to conform to this uniform which I feel is designed to give the impression 'look I really don't care what I wear that's why I wear a saggy arsed pair of grey jogging trousers even to special occasions...how cool am I'

Until now I am not sure what 35uc meant that day. Actually, nobody told me to change my outfit. I wonder if I would have gotten more attention if I had stuck with my slinky turtleneck dress. ;)

If you'd had the pair, 36 then maybe you may have wanted to dress like him but you got 35....not about hiding who you are but shining out in who you are, shining out even more splendidly in your oxblood slinky dress.

You must promise me and Yi you will never do such a thing again.

Life is far too short to save stunning clothes for only times where other people are wearing them.

Thank you for this cautionary tale. Please note readers of the future you do not tone down your brilliance of looks, intellect, style, anything when you get 35uc. If you ask about getting dressed and you get 35uc then you dress as well as you can in your finest clothes which honour you and your body, which celebrate who you are. If your companions make you feel over dressed then just do a quick mental reversal and realize it is they who under dressed not you who are over dressed.

knotxx

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
First off I have to support nearly everything trojina said -- people who dress wonderfully are a gift to the rest of us.

But I have to speak up for the lousy dressers like me. I'm not TRYING to look like I don't care, it's a combination of caring very little (like, as long as I'm not attracting glances of horror in the street I'm okay) and having no idea how to dress myself well. In fact I'm so insecure about dressing myself that I suspect I'm much more likely to attract the glances of horror if I do try to look good. And, again, I don't care that much. So I forget to try, or simply don't.

But I so admire and delight in people who are good at dressing.

knotxx

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
also, to get back to the yi -- I wonder if the unchanging, unactivated aspect of 35 was in the fact that you changed clothes.

toblindfoldher

visitor
Reaction score
Trojina, thank you for your eye-opening response! I remember casually discussing it with my fellow presenter weeks later, he said he simply does not own any formal clothing, and he agreed that it would have been more appropriate if we had both dressed up for the talk.

toblindfoldher

visitor
Reaction score
Knot, thanks for your reply! Sartorially speaking, it may be good to keep some classic, understated pieces in the wardrobe? Also I read somewhere that briliant, busy people like Steve jobs and Mark Zuckerberg like to wear the same things everyday.

As for the yi -- could you explain that a bit more? I was thinking, maybe 35uc was pointing out that my fellow presenter was wearing the same casual things he wore everyday, no big change. But that doesn't make sense because I was asking about myself.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
also, to get back to the yi -- I wonder if the unchanging, unactivated aspect of 35 was in the fact that you changed clothes.

I don't understand that either. Why would 35uc be the fact she changed her clothes ? Also I don't think 35uc is 35 unactivated. It's as active as anything.

I think the 35uc was straight forward encouragement to shine out and wear the good clothes.

Well that's how you took the answer initially

You were right IMO. I think it's a clear and simple answer.

pooja123

visitor
Reaction score
I've read several commentaries about hex 35. One of which explained that when the Prince displayed his qualities, he was not only awarded with horses for his military campaign but exposed himself and his strategies to his enemies. He proceeded to mate his horses as fast as he could to multiply the number of horses for his military campaign before the enemies come up with better strategies. I think 35 unchanging shows light to a situation. Not necessarily means progress. When you show off your qualities and weaknesses, you may invite troubles as well.
In some of the cases argued on here, such as feeling over dressed or over exposed describes a 35 unchanging. Forme 35 unchanging meant shedding light or something was exposed. When l confronted an ex about him being a sociopath, l asked Yi what is the situation with my ex. The answer was 35 unchanging. He felt exposed.Therefor he might try to correct himself or come up with strategies to avoid problems. 35 unchanging gives brightness to everything. Exposes everything. That's how it played out for me so far. No lottery wins yet. LMAO.

BonBon

visitor
Reaction score
I located something of interest on the big ole interwebs. The pictures were rather poor so I was apprehensive but also knew I had to act or potentially miss out. I asked the Iching, should I buy it? The result was hex 35 unchanging. My intention was to buy it for resale for a tidy profit which seems a nice fit for 35x.

So I pulled the trigger. Then I asked for better pictures. I got them and the item looks far better than I had hoped.:applause:

Side note, I have yet to receive this item and so I will not be 100% certain it is “this good” until that happens. However given the new images I am able to connect provenance with high degree of certainty. At the moment I’d say I feel 99% confident it is 👍👍

BonBon

visitor
Reaction score
So far, so good. Item received about a week ago and it is indeed in very good shape. It will be a profitable turnover for me. A bit of work to do first but I’ll update again once there is a new development in this journey.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, glad you are still adding to these threads.

Although when people go to these unchanging threads there may be a notification that says it's an old thread more experiences are still very welcome for all the uc threads. They are threads for the purpose of people adding to them over the years.

lucuma

visitor
Reaction score
I loved toblindfoldher’s story and totally agree with Trojina’s response. Thank you both for such instructive and down-to-earth commentary :)

I received 35 unchanging when asking for advice on how to approach someone I was interested in working with. I took it as “don’t be shy, just show your better qualities, show your inspiration and stand out from the crowd without fear”, which I did. It went out very well, and the person seemed to appreciate that.
Just wanted to add my humble experience. It all seems so clear regarding 35 unchanging now.

mandarin_23

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
35 unchanged when I asked if I should contribute to a facebook discussion about a subject matter which is quite difficult. I knew a lot about it, but wasn't sure if I could go that far actually to speak out, and didn't know any of the other persons involved. This reading encouraged me, and so I did, and my text was well received.

Bob-it

visitor
Reaction score
Unchanging - is all this activity and advancing actually going anywhere? (As prediction: maybe not. However, all this activity may be laying the foundation for future developments.)

Hi Trojina, I read this quote of yours and tried to develop it in reference to old questions I had asked and wanted to share it for some comment:

35 unchanging generally indicates a negative situation that however hides a positive aspect. A kind of opportunity that if taken will set the stage for achieving the goal. A pre-step, pre-progress or first progress, which will enable us to achieve what we are looking for. In other words, it is like when an unpleasant fact happens to us in a situation about which we had some hope and then after having swallowed the toad we realise that we must turn the page and do something else. Thus pointing to an event, unpleasant or otherwise, that if approached in the right way, will change us inwardly and lead us to progress. But since its discernment is not easy, in order not to make mistakes there is a rule: if things are going badly, get over it and seize the opportunity to turn over a new leaf, thus achieving initial progress; if something is moving, if things are going well, if the situation gives positive signs, then prepare oneself, inwardly, to seize the opportunity, and act on it positively and constructively, even if the fruit will not be quite what one is looking for but it will still be the pre-step to reach the goal later.

novht1

visitor
Reaction score
I received this today when I asked "what can I expect from [person] today?" when communications between me and that person have been kind of depressingly sporadic lately and I've been the one initiating all of our (depressingly brief) conversations.

As of this writing, I haven't heard anything from this person today at all and feel awkward about feeling like I'm being a bother by initiating conversations. So I have no idea what to make of this reading.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).