...life can be translucent

Menu

Best i ching app for android?

barbaloot

visitor
Reaction score
Hi there, I used to have an i phone and was really happy with the yi jing app. I am having trouble finding a decent app for my new android phone, though. Can anyone suggest one?
Barbaloot

vakos

visitor
Reaction score
Hi, I am struggling with the same issue - is there a good Yi Jing app for Android?

brianfit

visitor
Reaction score
Try this one

I recently released a version I wrote back in the 80s as an app for Android, Kindle, and iPhone and Apple Watch. In addition to question casting, it has a lookup library of all the hexagrams, a personal journal where you can record your readings, and social media sharing options. I put a lot of love into crafting it, and consider it a community effort to extend and improve it based on feedback from many folks who've told me they love it too. The texts are classic Wilhelm-Baynes (with adjustments toward gender neutrality) but the interpretations are enriched with an eclectic set of sources from western arts, music, poetry, and I've snuck in a few easter egg references to mentions of the I-Ching in popular culture -- from Bob Dylan lyrics to The Man in the High Castle by Phillip K. Dick to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to Alan Watts. To find out if it's your cup of tea, here's a link where you can see sample random readings and download the app for Android or iPhone.

Last edited:

Nobusuke_Tagomi

visitor
Reaction score
Best I Ching app for Android

There probably is more than one answer! For me the best I-Ching app for Android is App of Changes: it's very serene and spare in its design, though it's got some really nice features including a journal and lots of library lookup features. For consultation, it's hands down the best I've found. Deepware Changes has a ton of features including advanced reading techinques like body segments, inner trigrams, a nice interface for sorting virtual yarrow stalks, and some neat features for exploring the ordering and numeric patterns of the hexagrams. It's a bit buggy and complicated and screams "I-Ching nerd" from every screen, but it does things no other app does, and it's free! Brian Browne Walker's is a good choice too, I find his translations very clear and to the point, but skip the free version, it's too hobbled for practical use.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Brian Browne Walker's is a good choice too, I find his translations very clear and to the point, but skip the free version, it's too hobbled for practical use.

Brian Browne Walker hasn't done an actual translation has he only written commentaries and those commentaries are pretty much a condensed version of Carol Anthony's I Ching which really is more to do with her ideas than very close to what Yi says. I wouldn't agree this is a good choice since you will not get the words of the I Ching at all, only Brian Brown Walker's ideas about it. A translation is where someone actual translates Yi's words from ancient Chinese. A commentary is one's own impressions/thoughts/feelings linked to a translation whether one's own or someone else's but there is no translation at all in Brian Brown Walker's I Ching. Not the one I have in front of me first published 1993.

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Deepware Changes. Beautifully designed and very comprehensive. The English is sometimes slightly off, as are some of the line interpretations. I think this is due to a combination of English as a second language and more modern (stretched!) renderings a la Karcher and Anthony but generally it's very good.

kevin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Good Yi software for Android

I see some folk mentioned Deepware. I found the text to be poor. Sorry, just my opinion. Like you I tried many different versions for Android and eventually found "I-Ching Bondia"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=br.com.bondia.iching

It gives transforming lines and the text is thoughtful and thought provoking. It also considers the interactions of the trigrams.

I hope this is helpful.

Generally waiving

:)

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin, I didn't know of that one - I'll try it.

Waving back! (How are you?)

kevin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Waiving

Hi Hillary

Oh, life keeps giving me ample reason to visit Yi, chuckles.

I've just finished five intense years caring for my dear lovely partner Liz. She has a degenerative brain condition and though she is now in a Nursing Home she is approaching end of life care. Sorry if that's TMI.

However I still get very excited when looking at the trigrams in my readings. I got very exercised with 18 Ku yesterday.

For the fun of it I will share a brief version to illustrate the extent of my Bradford/Balkin fail. (Both of which I like immensely).

So many images! Stale air in a mountain mine; A tree (not a monkey this time) trapped under the mountain; the outside world being constraining or oppressive whilst the wind blows around ones inner world as a myriad thoughts, glimpses of possibilities, but fleeting. I could go on... and on.

Line one: Those shifting winds coalesce into inspiration and clarity, stillness, not yet action... Good start though :)

Line two. Ken... All the brakes applied... The quiet after the turbulent wind. A place to reflect, quietly.

Line three: Meng... An escape, tentatively back into the world (spring), or emotional thoughts stilled but forming out after the time of the time of Ken.

Line four: Ting. No longer keeping still, but the wind blowing on the flames, or wood firing the flames. Transformation of the world and self.

Line five: The accelerated wind from the fire from line three? Penetrating matters and moving to places affecting all it brushes past. Influencing.

Line six: Sheng The tree in the earth finally strong. Well rooted. This is not the wind sinking into the earth here, to be trapped again. A tree in the inner world and the outer world manifesting its strength and beauty.

So really Ku is perhaps not just spoil and decay, but possibly a dung heap (decay) from which the enduring can grow.

Yijing is such a fertile place! (Ah, those puns come up when you don't want them... like busses).

Wishing you well and one day I will return if life permits.

Warmly

Kevin

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I've just finished five intense years caring for my dear lovely partner Liz. She has a degenerative brain condition and though she is now in a Nursing Home she is approaching end of life care. Sorry if that's TMI.

Sorry to hear of this Kevin :hug:

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm sorry - and glad for Liz that she has had your care.

I do hope you return more fully - I can think of at least a couple of members (calling @Freedda;) who would be very happy to talk trigrams with you, and especially the meeting place of trigrams and text and zhi gua for good measure. It has layers in its layers, this book.

(And yes, 18 for me has an undercurrent of 'Now you can get in and make a change.')

kevin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Waiving

Thank you Hilary :)

Yes, it is a strange hexagram... I misunderstood it for years.

So many layers indeed. I expect we all find the ones which speak to us best. Our own language with Yi. I like that.

It would be good for me to return when the time comes...

Nice forum tech. BTW

Last edited:

kevin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hm, I don't know why 'me' is italicised... twasn't meant to be.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).