...life can be translucent

Menu

Your Experiences with Unchanging Castings - Hexagram 41

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Unlike hexagram 42uc, hexagram 41 uc, Decreasing, in my experience plays out pretty much as expected. That is looking back I haven't spent a whole lot of time puzzling over 41uc answers as far as I can remember. (42uc OTOH is totally baffling).

Occasions where I've had 41 uc ;

1. As a daily cast. I spent a lot of time that day reducing the contents of my wardrobe etc etc. I made good progress and less definitely felt like more by the end of it.

2. Thinking of applying for a higher band in a social housing scheme here (meaning I'd get stand more chance of re housing) I asked if it were worth trying. I didn't feel it was but got 41uc. Thought perhaps it wasn't such a big deal, maybe it wouldn't be so hard to get the higher banding, 2 baskets of grain suffice. I made an exploratory phone call and noted particularly the clerk answered me by saying "you already have more than enough criteria to request a higher banding". Small offerings were acceptable.

Other occasions I think I have seen 41uc as the actual loss of the thing I ask about. Simple reduction through loss. Cannot find the specific example...but recall that kind of 41uc I'm sure.

Also of course there can be 41uc as pretty emphatic advice to put less in in terms of emotion, passion, money, energy. Less is more.

Lise said of this pair

Limits and plenty

41 -Limits do not limit the one who is not too big
42 -Plenty comes to the one who is a good rain-barrel

How succinctly perfect for 41 uc !

Hilary writes of this pair

Decreasing forms a pair with hexagram 42, Increasing:

'Decreasing, Increasing: the beginnings of abundance and decline.'

They belong together in a natural cycle - a free flow of giving and receiving, like breathing. To create space for new blessings, you need to empty things out.

You can see how perfectly that can apply to the state of a wardrobe or closet !

Wing says of 41 uc

The lower trigram TUI, excess, is held in check by the mountainous weight of KEN, above. In it's static form the hexagram DECLINE implies that your feelings and reactions may not be in accord with the times. Regardless of the object of your enquiry, or your objectives in general, you must accept the reality of DECLINE and make the necessary adjustments in your attitude. Before things will change successfully, a certain economy must be reached in the intensity of your emotions.

How in particular have you experienced 41 unchanging ?

chingching

visitor
Reaction score
I have the same experience. Reduction, loss, clearing out, subtraction, emptying. Different to letting go though.

I have it once as a need to reduce expectations from a relationship. The advice for the noble one translated to holding back emotional reactions in order to receive more information about what was going on.

:)

knotxx

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
For me 41uc seems most often to point to emotions--curbing anger, restraining desires, restraining expectations. It's funny, I am quite often puzzled by 41uc, whereas I find 42uc perfectly clear! hahahaha. I guess it depends on whether you're more of a natural rain-barrel vs a natural Zen master, good at opening your hand and letting go.

where 41uc confuses me is when for example there's something I feel I ought to do (exercise, see a friend's performance that I suspect may not be enjoyable, something like that--I am in this situation a LOT, I impose a lot of oughts on myself) that I don't WANT to do. I am never sure whether it's saying "set your feelings aside and go do this thing you know you should, for the sacrifice will lead to blessing" or saying "do less."

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think the sacrifice in 41 is ever very onerous since it says

"One may use two small bowls for the sacrifice" Wilhelm

So nothing big is needed here, neither emotions or sacrifices.

The complement/opposite hexagram is 31...which is also about making space in a different way, to receive influence. Presumably one's emotions become bigger/more excitable in 31 as one receives and feels attraction. In 41 the space made is more for the sake of economy and best function...often for the good of the whole scenario . Different ways of making space ? Perhaps ?

Impossible to think of 41 without also thinking of 42...they are one another.

Having said that the sacrifice asked is not huge no doubt there will be occasion where loss in 41 is most keenly felt. I've known 41uc as something being taken away from me....and yet there is also that sense of space making, it's never felt 'wrong', as if it's something that shouldn't be happening.

Zimbali

visitor
Reaction score
I spent a lot of time that day reducing the contents of my wardrobe

Just to clarify, as I am trying to understand this - are working with cloth in a wooden wardrobe?

Is that similar to yielding to the southeast?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
sorry no idea what you mean. In this series of threads we are sharing our experiences of unchanging hexagrams. 41 is decrease. When I had 41uc as a daily cast I cleared out my wardrobe, or as I think they say in the US, 'closet'. That was one of my experiences of 41uc so I shared it.

A wardrobe is where clothes are stored...

not sure what you do not understand or if you are joking about 'yielding to the south east'.

Zimbali

visitor
Reaction score
Okay. I am just asking. You are literally discussing decrease which motivated you to physically remove clothes from your wardrobe?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
No. I did a cast for the day and got 41uc. I didn't think much about it. I got busy around the place and by the end of the day realised I had sorted out a huge pile of clothes to get rid of. So there we are. 41 uc happened without me realising I was doing it. It's that simple.

soma

visitor
Reaction score
I got 41 UC in response to a request for a picture of someone who has enough money/resources/opportunities while not compromising higher values/aesthetics. Someone with wordly enough-ness through honesty and integrity. (I suppose hidden in my question was also something about vitality, aliveness while earning a livelihood)

I think this is a lovely answer. Such a person offers what they can, with truth and conviction while connected to creative/divine inspiration. Perhaps they overcome their doubts about their worth, and truthfully offers what comes through them when inspired. I want to be this person.

Lavalamp

visitor
Reaction score
I think 41 unchanging is about giving, not taking, being in service to others, to the greater good perhaps. We can decrease our feelings when upset over unfulfilled needs, wanting what we want, which is about "taking" - expectations (expectant joy,) happiness that depends on others - we can decrease those feelings by giving, by serving other people. I don't this hex is about repressing those kinds of feelings, we are created with needs and are socially interdependent being by nature. But feeling unfulfilled can really get in the way of actually finding fulfillment, I think.

For example during a few periods of extended unemployment when things did not look too good, I went out and played a lot of music for other people. Not to take their love and admiration, but to give something to the audience. This decreased my feelings of anxiety and edginess a lot. You give what you can - a couple small platters for the offering. A new song - some nachos maybe? Eating helps too!

- LL

arimoshe

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I once met a woman on the street that was trying to raise enough money to get to a town 30 minutes over to a shelter where she was staying. She was deaf and it was clearly hard for her to get by. She ended up missing the bus and I felt compelled to drive her. I checked in with Yi because I know I have a tendency to over extend myself. I got 41 uc. I decided to go with it. To give what I can which in this case was a ride.

At the end of the ride she asked me for money (by writing down her request on paper). I was a bit taken aback at her audacity. I said no. Yet then I felt compassion and I gave her some money. I walked her to where she was staying, which was connected to a gym building. Long story short I was moved and bought her a month's gym membership so she can work out again (something she used to do).

I went back into my car and once I started driving I had this feeling that I just over did it. That at some point I crossed the personal line between genuine giving and giving my resources away in a way that felt a bit self degrading.

Lavalamp

visitor
Reaction score
Well Arimoshe as I see 41, you asked the Yi "should I help this woman" and it said "you help other people to help yourself."

-LL

innertruth

visitor
Reaction score
I asked X doesnt love me anymore?
and got 41 UC

does it mean yes or no..

i was asking perfectly neutral, without putting much drama - so i cant take it as "diminish your worries"

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps you would post that in shared readings ? These threads are for sharing experiences of what a reading meant for someone, with hindsight, rather than offering interpretations on what a person's answer may mean.

MrKind

visitor
Reaction score
Funny as I received 41uc when I asked whether I should purposefully get late to work tomorrow to avoid going to team bonding session as I hate it and it triggers my PTSD symptoms like nothing else... it doesn't feel 'wrong' it feels like a 'small sacrifice' and I will still need to see how I will feel with this. I tried plenty of times and forced myself to go to such activities (where u play games, talk about yourself etc) but it only triggers my fight&flight syndrome and its just on auto-pilot so no gain for me to go.

EmMacha

visitor
Reaction score
I received this cast today, after a gentle daily meditation where I did not do the full meditation I have set upon myself, but instead a simpler meditation occurred; connecting down into the earth, grounding, sending energy down, and then receiving earth energy up. Seems like a simpler smaller sacrifice, basic offering to me.

I found the latest full moon eclipse quite emotionally tumultuous, took some energy and strength to focus with all the anxieties and old emotions triggered. There were a few moments where I felt that I was going a bit insane! I have also felt very tired, and a sense of burdens, so much to do, so many people needing help, so much to walk through. In this context, the cast also makes sense; calming down after a stormy time, decrease everything, no need to feel that you need to give a lot to the world today.

It chimes with me re the moon starting to wane too; really, just flow with that, look at the tides, they are less intense, less high.

With so much clamouring at me, and I was attempting to find balance in my own self, I actually lost some items, some crystals and other objects. Some of the crystals fell after some chanting and drumming with a friend on a neolithic sacred site; a passage monument on the Hill of Tara; we have been concerned for a while for the safety of this monument. It is in a place which has a lot of visitors; there were footballers running up and down it, there is erosion up on the top (it is a mound, a passage 'grave' monument). It is one of the oldest examples, one of the oldest passage monuments in Ireland. So after a sense of initial loss when I realised later that I had dropped the crystals there, I then felt great peace, thinking "well I dipped those crystals in the well, I had an intention to protect the monument, the thought of those crystals being there in the grass actually feels right". Here 41uc also resonates, because, well, a few crystals and some drumming, singing and music is simple, it is not some great eco-warrior campaign, or big letter / petition writing campaign. however, I told a friend who is always on that hill about the crystals, and that if he found them, to actually bury them, or put them into the grass sod, with only a little chink out to catch the sun and moonlight. I know he'll go take a walk and look for them, and I know that he will also tell people, but there is quite a large disparate group of people concerned about this monument, from archaeologists to government officials to the more hippy healers and shamanic, the spiritual community (I am kind of in both camps haha!) and all the visitors to the Hill of Tara. So yes, here, a simple offering fits, 41uc, says yes, you have done enough, you have played your part in this, not much more is needed right now.
I hope that is useful to people?

On a personal level, when I get this one, I often 'grok' it on a deep level; it often just says to me, yes decrease emotions, but also, yes soften it, you have done enough for now, the little simple things are the right actions that will show truth, just let the process carry you. It is like a cosmic "Shhhushhhhhhh...."
'Everything is OK, not much is needed right now,the purity of what you offer from the simplicity of daily life is enough, light a small candle, feed the birds, take a gentle day'

I'm often relieved to see it, the lazier part of myself goes "pheww".

steve

visitor
Reaction score
My experience with hexagram 41 is that the feeling is actually empty, the challenge is to keep those feelings under control, making the most of the situation.

The upside is actually the only way is up, its like a rock bottom type feeling or sometimes you have had enough. I really don't like the feeling to be honest, it reminds me of a time to be modest however its hard.

Saying all this that when the situation changes it feels extra nice.

Steve

CheersC

visitor
Reaction score
-got it about a surgery, e.g. removal of pet's uterus :/- buti am also getting it now on a question like: ''will i do it in time and without fear of doing wrong?'' and here i guess it says to reduce anxiety, fears, talks...and accept things got worse (decline) because u have to be sincere to show it with no shame and that is the starting point of improvement and learning...theres no real learning without trying and without mistakes, theres no improvement if u act anxious and breathless XD

killing moon

visitor
Reaction score
I got 41 after taking a written test as part of a hiring process. I asked the I Ching, what response can I expect from my test? Although I only got their rejection email a few days later, I already knew I wasn't moving forward. I understood 41 to mean that I had been downranked, or diminished in their eyes.

mandarin_23

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday, I asked if I should give a donation to Mr. XY, and I got 41 unchanged.

This Mr. XY runs a website, which I appreciate a lot, and he put a lot of work in it. This website gives insider information about a special group of people, their politics and so on. And this information was important for me, and it is all well written, so that I am grateful.

Mr. XY asked for fundings last year, as he was sued by the people he wrote about because of defamation or calumny. He thaught he needed to pay a lawyer and so on. As I only red this plea, I felt obliged to give a bit, as I do appreciate the information and insights he gives.

So when I got 41 unchanged, I first thaught: clearly, a "yes". Then I red a bit more and saw that the legal case was withdrawn last december by the other party. So that I'm not that sure any more. He collected quite a big sum of money in the public, but, as to his relief, he won't need it right away. Maybe he will keep it for the next legal case to come? So there is no actual need on his side any more. As he didn't ask to fund his website in general, it might be good just to give a little or just to write thank you.

So that 41 here clearly gives the subject matter - donating. Offering. However, double 41 sounds like: You don't need to ... there is no big deal ...

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
However, double 41 sounds like: You don't need to ... there is no big deal ...

How do you mean 'double 41' ? There is no such thing as a double 41 unless you mean that using the online casting tool it appears twice because there is' no relating hexagram ? This has led people in the past to think there was somehow a double, but there isn't.

mandarin_23

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. Unchanged, this is clear! There isn't really a double, thanks for reminding me.

Well, sometimes these unchanged hexagrams, when I see them twice, doubled, in the online casting tool, make me think of some Grammar form which is called "double affirmation" in South German dialect, in Bavaria, where I come from.

Well, in Bavaria, people say "Yes" whenever they want to say "Yes".
However, they say "Yes, Yes" when they want to say "Not really" - or "don't bother me" or "maybe later, not now" or "Are you sure" or even "No" in a polite form.

post-snow

visitor
Reaction score
i git this when i asked about how can i be of best assistance to my elderly relative whom i just helped to move into a care facility.

florastrange

visitor
Reaction score
I asked the question, what is the outcome of choosing to be with my partner monogamously? We are in a long distance relationship and prior to this moment we had been open, ie seeing other people concurrently. Response: 41 unchanging.

steve

visitor
Reaction score
When I first started with IChing I used to look at this hexagram with a very limited view. It was almost like casting hexagram 29 (not that that is the end of the world either). In hindsight and after experience I have found the cast auspicious. I recently cast it in a daily reading of what do i need to know today? Basically, I felt a sacrifice was required in the way of time and energy.

I think in 41 something is empty or you may have little resources at the time or something. You need to bring back balance which in turn will give you peace of mind or "clarity". I thought Trojina's example with the clothes was a good example. Sorting out the clothes to bring back order. I think there is a promise that if you make an effort then you will be rewarded according to the effort. Like the old saying you will get back what you put in. Also, I have found in some readings just do what you can, but do something at least.

As opposed to a 42 reading, the only way is down like a one hit wonder on thebillboard charts. In 41 we are moving in the right direction I feel. It all depends on the question to but for me its usually a sacrifice of some description. In my cases, its usually time and energy. My feelings its similar but not the same as an 18 reading. In 18 i usually have this when there is mountain of fixing to do.

41 is more to me about simply applying yourself.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
A friend took Home Depot to small claims court after a workman they employed did a poor job on installing some kitchen counters in her house. She.was disappointed when a judge found in her favor but then greatly reduced the amount of money she would be refunded. I had asked the I Ching for a reading before the court appearance and gotten 41. Decrease. The Image “Control anger and decrease desires” seemed to me to be a stark warning she wasn’t going to be happy with the ruling or get what she wanted and indeed afterwards she felt the devision wasn’t fair. She was particularly upset because she felt the judge had continually cut her off and not let her tell her whole side of the story. Even though I am her friend I could empathize with the judge as when she spoke she would take way too long to get to the point. So while the image seems to predict the frustrating outcome was inevitable, I wonder if it might have been giving advice. Like, had she decreased her words, would things have gone better?

soilairwater

visitor
Reaction score
I got 41 UC in response to a request for a picture of someone who has enough money/resources/opportunities while not compromising higher values/aesthetics. Someone with wordly enough-ness through honesty and integrity. (I suppose hidden in my question was also something about vitality, aliveness while earning a livelihood)

I think this is a lovely answer. Such a person offers what they can, with truth and conviction while connected to creative/divine inspiration. Perhaps they overcome their doubts about their worth, and truthfully offers what comes through them when inspired. I want to be this person.
Well hello time warp, but that person you are writing about is an incredibly accurate definition of my current reality! Received 41 to the query : What I should focus on with my music studies. The 'music studies', which have been a self-curated process, have been soaring in tandem with cptsd remediation/permaculture/solitude/functional lifestyle routines and a host of internal environmental crystallisation of ongoing inner practices. I have a good enough passive income from a holiday seasonal Airbnb, so I shifted to a bigger metro city where I have been performing and that way covering my living costs. This month the gigs have been cancelled due to a very insecure competition who lied to get rid of me and another venue changed their vibe and cancelled live music. These are quite normal incidences in any artists worth their salt's process. I am rather than being panicked, (although there were triggers to deal with around self-worth and rejection, etc, again, hello Soma!), finding myself utterly relieved at no longer having to sing cover songs for my supper is a revelation. With less stress, less money, less options, I now have less consuming my energy, to rather focus on developing my own compositions. Which has been coming along smoothly!

At the foot of the mountain, the lake:
The image of DECREASE.
Thus the superior man controls his anger
And restrains his instincts.
The lake at the foot of the mountain evaporates. In this way it decreases to the benefit of the mountain, which is enriched by its moisture. The mountain stands as the symbol of a stubborn strength that can harden into anger. The lake is the symbol of unchecked gaiety that can develop into passionate drives at the expense of the life forces. Therefore decrease is necessary; anger must be decreased by keeping still, the instincts must be curbed by restriction. By this decrease of the lower powers of the psyche, the higher aspects of the soul are enriched.

Richard Wilhelm's translation is also a accurate description of my current subconscious state of stubborn strength (which, as a cptsd survivor, has not only been a source of immense resilience, but also intensely healing anger and rage) and the transcendental ecstatic aspects of my psyche which culminate orphic madness. I see these both of these (thanks to the great sky of advaitic wisdom) as magnificent forces coming into a less polarised harmonious rhythm, appropriate interaction with myself and with humanity. Not to mention that I have just come from setting my Airbnb (a powerful symbol of my new reality, groundedness and trust in my own abundance) up in the mountains to a lake city....very 41 imagery. Adding to that, I suppose now the plants, trees, weeds, fish, bugs, birds, wildlife of my subconscious are now finding their sustenance, including funny little human communities. Better be practicing permaculture.

On a tangent, I find it very amusing how most humans perceive themselves to be the only species who can contemplate existence when our fellow species and bacterias have simply modelled it to us. Zen and Advaitic masters such as Ramana Maharishi are antidotes to the at best ridiculous at worst genocidal human hubris.

Since this is my first post here, I want to appreciate this platform and everyone's contributions. I have been resourcing your insights for many years now and it has been a simple and reliable support to synthesise the streams of clarity and wisdom and bring foundational insight indeed to my own layered processes.

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).