...life can be translucent

Menu

Energy

44bob123

visitor
Reaction score
I've read a couple of Yijing books recently and can't count the number of times change/changes/changed have jumped from the pages. However I wonder whether there is an unacknowledged reality behind change, namely energy. For something to change energy has to be added or taken from the system. For yin to change to yang or vice versa, energy has to be involved in the transmutation? There are the trigrams that are noted as moving up or down, the hexagram lines that want to change position and , of course the changing lines that give birth to a new hexagram.
On a purely human level judgements like crossing the great river also involve energy by the person undertaking that task.
It also occurred to me that wu wei could be considered as a situation where no intervention is necessary because the situation itself has sufficient energy to change in the direction required.

All this may be "old hat" but I'd be grateful if anyone could suggest any articles or sources that might provide enlightenment for me. There's no point in re-inventing the wheel.

Shalom, Bob:bows:

Last edited:

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
There are various kinds of energy: the energy of physics, the vitality of the bodies of plants and animals, and psychological energy. To cross a great river -- The Rubicon (psychologically but not physically great), to cross the Channel in the Invasion of Normandy, or the assault on Tarawa -- may require little physical energy but great psychological energy (courage). Do you distinguish between the various kinds of energy?

AskingQuestions

visitor
Reaction score
I like the way you are looking at change being energy Bob. Every new action is created by effort, yet momentum and inertia can be used to our advantage. Maybe looking into Systems Theory could guide you.

44bob123

visitor
Reaction score
What a load of rubbish! Not sure what I was thinking. The lines, trigrams and hexagrams of the Yijing are a self-contained symbolic system, both logical and dynamic. An algorythm if you will. Any changes are conditional on the original hexagram i.e. whether any initial lines are changing. This system is an analogy of events in the real world. Its in the real world of changes that one can speak of energy, energy transfers and the like. Obviously a symbolic system can describe energy but is not of itself powered by energy. Any changes to the symbols is a consequence of the laws upon which the dynamics of the system are based.
I really have no idea where my 64 year old head was at!
:duh::duh:

Just as an aside (or is it coincidence)? I think the hexagrams have an uncanny resemblance to the symbol for a large battery: th (1).jpg

Last edited:
S

sooo

I really have no idea where my 64 year old head was at!
:duh::duh:

Energized, most likely. Everything solid or in movement is energy. Thought is energy, systems are organization of the effects of energy. Energy equals mass. Thoughts are waves, consisting of particles (or strings of vibration), which is mass, which is energy. A hexagram is not mass or energy but they are like the pick or hammer which strike the string, which creates vibration or energy. Reciprocally, they are a static string and our mind does the plucking of them, though no matter is entirely static, just as a piano string will always be vibrating sympathetically to other vibrations it's even subtlety exposed to, in the way our mind is affected subtly by vibrations its exposed to. A plucked hexagram's energy is in the thought process it generates, though it seems to create different vibrations in different individuals, hence different interpretations. Some view each hexagram vibrating consistently to a specific vibration with no variation. Others view a hexagram as a catalyst to plucking ones own strings, creating variations of creative (unique) possibilities. Others view a hexagram as a specific key wherein one composes their interpretation. I favor this latter view. Interpretations then become variations on a theme, the variation being the context of our question and the unique dynamics contained therein, played in a particular key of that hexagram.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).