Menu

Your Experiences with Unchanging Castings-Hexagram 46

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Ever onwards and upwards we come to hexagram 46 in it's unchanging form :D

I have one recent example to share.

Browsing in a charity shop one day I saw a sign saying 'Volunteers required'. I asked about it and was 'recruited' on the spot. Later I asked Yi simply "What about working for this charity shop ?" I got 46uc. That was over 2 months ago. There was a lot to do straight away. I was immediately involved and made very welcome and also found I was given a lot of leeway to take initiative in things. For example I was given the jewellery section as my area to display and price and turn over items as I saw fit and now that section is doing well. I feel I receive a lot of appreciation for what I do there from the managers. It feels as if I'm free to grow in whatever I do there. You know like some places might have all these rules and you might just be a cog in a machine, unable to express yourself, but it's the opposite of that. If I make a suggestion it's heard and implemented, so that gives me a sense of expansion. I can develop there. It kind of feels like the opposite of 47 which is the next hexagram of course...which gives me cause to think about the sequence. ( I wonder if 47 is a 'hexagram of context' for 46)

I can't see where it's going the 'job'....I'm just going with it, but I feel part of something that is developing because it is a new shop. Because its new it's sort of still forming. Because of that I didn't enter a stagnant or limited atmosphere. Hard work though !

So for me here 46 just feels like room to grow.

I can't find specific examples but in other experiences with 46 I think it has also meant that it's time to outgrow the old, to move onwards and upwards and not look back. This won't always feel as pleasant as the above example of course. I think sometimes one might feel sad or even reluctant at outgrowing things. The image that comes to mind is maybe the last day with your class mates as a school kid. Here there is primary school till age 11 then you go to a whole new school with bigger kids and there's no going back. If you recall that time in your life you would probably recall different feelings of excitement but also awareness that that part of your life has gone forever. You are growing up and you can't stop it.

I think, though I haven't checked, that I have seen 46uc coming up a few times in SR when people are in the midst of ending relationships. They are moving on, growing on towards a new life. That is what is really happening for them yet they may still feel sad.

Anyway I wonder if with 46uc it's as if one feels there is unlimited possibilities growth. One is growing but is not sure where to.... When you are growing you aren't sure how tall you are going to get. 46uc feels to be a very open vista. There's a horizon or an end somewhere but for now you are just moving on and moving up and growing. Taking the next step in life.

I'm not entirely sure how it fits as a pair with 45...not yet anyway. Chingching had some ideas in the 45uc thread.

Here is the Image from Hilary's book.

'Centre of the earth gives birth to wood : Pushing Upward.
A noble one with patient character
Builds up small things to attain the high and great.'

A seed germinates and a plant begins to grow in the centre of the earth. The noble one has both the qualities of the earth and the seedling: flexible, feeling her way upward, small and resilient, and also yielding and nurturing this growth with all the patient power of earth. She understands that pulling the seedling will not make it grow faster - and so the many small things she achieves will amount to great things in the end.

Wing says of 46 uc

The upper trigram, K'UN, responsiveness, forms a receptive atmosphere for the fruition of SUN, small steady efforts, below. Without changing lines, ADVANCEMENT will occur only with a diligent and long-term approach toward the objective of your inquiry. You cannot expect to make a giant leap toward your objective through a single sweeping gesture. Instead, through modest, industrious efforts, you must build a substantial base upon which you may then reach your aim.

Any 46uc experiences or insights to share ?

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
A friend was in a 47 situation ( i actually got 47 when had no news from them and asked Yi). The way they could go out was at the hand of an authority to decide that. I asked what can i do , how can i help and reality of the situation was that I couldn't offer much practical help but only prayers. In my mind had a chat with that authority explaining why they had to set free that friend.... they finally did but I guess the reading was about my feeling of not being able- due circumstances- to offer something more.

there is a ancient-old reading during my first days at Yi. I got 46 and pondering on the Yi's message and try to understand how it applies- Need to say was a "what to I need to know for the current day" reading a thread rosada had opened and was participating... Had in mind the stairs Lise mentions on her translation and this is only what I had in mind- a staircase... suddenly I felt my self both at the bottom of the stairs and at the top. The one person on the top was yelling me " come on - you are late....and other not very kind or polite things".... I got angry and yelled back... I'm coming but I need to follow my pace.... The urgency to get rid to fix something was me on the top while the step- by -step kind of approach which was the reality of how things happens was me in the bottom... Felt so nice that I could see those two sides of me , the conflict and the unreasonable demands and yeah .. yell to her/me. I couldn't accept this turtle pace but this reading help me see that while the progress was not impressive and rapid there was progress...

That was a experience will never forget and I think was feeling a bit stoned.... then something else came up... While sitting on my couch felt like riding a bubble made of the material balloons are made- a stable surface to sit and I had that feeling of sitting on a bubble and see other bubbles around and new the collection of bubbles was my self too... and they were expanding and expanding and was feeling so small , a tiny creature sitting on the bubble and feeling so big, vast at the same time... The connection with 46 was, in my mind, so apparent... the Small and the Big there, before me, in me, me into them... words can't express those feelings...

47 is in the middle between 46 and 48... I always connect those with the image of the tree in the dry lake and see in slow motion the branches ( 46) and the roots( 48) expanding- trying to revive the tree, seek for water and air ...

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I got 46 unchanging recently telling me not to go back to sleep.

I'd woken up at 4:30 a.m. after only 5 hours of sleep, which is not enough for me. I know from experience that I really can't tell how going back to sleep in such a situation will work out - sometimes it's the right thing to do, and sometimes I feel groggy and sick all day.

So I cast a reading and got 46 unchanging. Well, "Pushing Upward" or "Ascending" certainly doesn't mean lie back down and go to sleep. As Trojina put it, "onwards and upwards."

Also, this line from Hilary's Oracle commentary caught my attention: "...align your initiatives with the natural order (which can be read in the stars and the compass), and set out towards warmth, light and activity." I had woken up naturally. And I had learned that as we approach waking, our temperature rises from what it had been during the night, and I had actually felt that happening that morning.

So maybe this was a circadian rhythm sort of thing? For some unknown reason, 5 hours of sleep was the right amount for me that particular night. That day, I felt a bit tired and sleep-deprived, but only a bit - I was not overwhelmingly sleepy, and I went to bed that night at a normal time and not unusually early. So it worked out as well as could be expected - staying up at 4:30 a.m. was the correct decision this time.

[Edited] I forgot to write down my question. It was "What if I go back to sleep now?" I think clearly Yi was giving me the advice I needed rather than answering the literal question.

Last edited:

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
I had a part time job that wasn't paying quite enough to make ends meet.
I asked about the best work course for getting my needs met.
Answer 46 unchanging.
'adds up small things to make something great'
It took me a while to figure it out, but I did. I got a second part time job and made enough income. One small job plus one small job equals great enough.

V

veavea

Isn't it interesting how some UC threads go on for pages, while others have so little? I've been on two UC threads today and the other was very sparsely filled too - hex 13uc was the other - which seems odd that some threads seem to attract less discussion. I've had a really ridiculous day, I became really anxious and fearful after a Birmingham phone number kept showing up on my phone - I don't tend to answer if I don't recognise the number, but today I built it up into a huge anxiety issue with regard to who was the terrifying ogre on the other end of the line. Some bill I'd forgotten to pay? Something else terrifying? Someone I just didn't want to speak to? Whoever it is, instead of either checking the number or forgetting about it, or (god forbid!) calling back, I dissolved into a neurotic blob of jelly (like Mr Jelly) and asked Yi about 20,000 questions about who was calling me, and why, and was it safe, and is the world about to fall on my head etc etc etc. Yi was not impressed with all this nonsense, as might be imagined. Anyway, in the end I said: "I'm just being silly, aren't I?" 46uc.

Looking back through my journal I've had 46uc for some fairly odd little questions. One (amusingly) was "how does it even work, this oracle?" 46uc. "Shall I start up this website idea (that I promptly forgot about)?" 46uc. "Perhaps I can make the house pay for itself?" eg, with airbnb. 46 uc. (I've now got a permanent lodger and my son pays rent too.)

I get the impression that Yi is smiling at me benignly (and bemusedly) with 46uc and saying: "yep, getting there, slowly." :)

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
I received 46 UC to the question, "How should I deal with X's coldness?" X is one of my supervisors at work, and he's just...very distant and cold and awkward at all times. (Not just towards me—towards most everyone.) He's actually a very drily funny and witty person (I knew him before working for him) but it's like he can't bear to let down his guard ever in the office (or, now, outside of it), and since getting promoted to a more prominent (and risky) position he's completely humorless at all times. All that said, he's a good supervisor to me—eminently fair, never loses his temper, a decent listener and mediator when there are problems, doesn't micromanage or nitpick, and most importantly, he tries to make things good for those under him. Sometimes he's avoidant and annoyingly unresponsive, but he's no tyrant. I guess I just find it distressing that he's so distant and serious (almost robotic) 99% of the time. He just never relaxes or warms up. Our office is otherwise very warm and social feeling.

I think 46UC was Yi's way of pointing out that, disconcerting though I may find his coldness, it's not an impediment to me, not really, for all the reasons I listed, and I just need to patiently continue on as-is without dwelling on his chilliness too much. It's funny, too, because when I interact with his humorless robotic side, I get a distinct 47ish feeling of misery and panic. But that's all emotion and really about me (I'm a very warm person by nature and I get nervous around people who are the the opposite). The practical reality is closer to 46; he doesn't cause me actual problems, and I just need to continue pushing through the path that's open to me.

steve

visitor
Reaction score
Hi

I have had this hexagram so often lately in relation to my business. All sorts of reading all leading back to hexagram 46. I have also been receiving it unchanged. To me it is simply as it says step by step. It seems important to the advice that we do keep making those steps as if on a tight rope. Going forward on the path. At least you are on the path but I always get it when I want things to move faster. maybe this hexagram is the tortoise in the tortoise and the hare race.

Steve

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
This would be too boring to post as far as just what it meant ("take steps"), but Yi gave it to me as a reminder that there were steps, preliminary ones in this case, at a time when I was ready to just rush right out of the house a la hexagram 1. If I'd done that, I would have had to come back after remembering I hadn't fixed the cats' water, collected the trash, etc. Yi, saving silly people from aggravation... :bows:

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I got 46uc when I asked the IC what benefit I might get from my daily Sri Yantra meditations. (A Sri Yantra is an image of 9 intersecting triangles. You can google it or see it on youtube) Pushing Upward encourages me that step by step I will see results. I think it's interesting that veavea got the same response when she asked "How does the IC actually work?" and Mulberry got it for a description of a supervisor who was rather distant and aloof but highly effective which could also describe the Sri Yantra symbol.

Last edited:

steve

visitor
Reaction score
I received 46 unchanging when asking what my life would be like alcohol free, uncanny really if you think about it. Day by day, one step at time, 12 step program. All the things that be related to being alcohol free.

Steve

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
Day by day, one step at time, 12 step program. All the things that be related to being alcohol free.
Steve

[video=youtube_share;OORsz2d1H7s]https://youtu.be/OORsz2d1H7s[/video]

Best of luck.

EmMacha

visitor
Reaction score
I got 46uc when I asked the IC what benefit I might get from my daily Sri Yantra meditations.
Interesting, I received this hexagram 46uc when asking a question about a meditation I am working on.
It is based on the MerKaBa light body (which is also built on triangles, interlocking tetrahedrons creating a 3 dimensional hexagram, or 6 pointed star) and 'sacred geometry' or 'The Golden Mean'. In relation to a problem I have holding the idea of shielding or protection around the aura, when I'm in patterns or psychodrama with people & I want to be mindful & have a core of awareness & be able to se myself in this light body & bright aura & come from love & inner wisdom (not be in reaction /unconscious ), I received an image of the aura as as glowing energy, fading or softer around the edges & the words "soften you edges & you won't find the things people throw at you hard.... soften, soften". I asked this morning about success with this meditation image, as I have a busy day with family today (& family can trigger you like nobody else can! )

Contemplating this image of a strong core light & softer edges, every day I get a different idea... a sun or gas giant, outer layers of atmosphere; a tree has a strong trunk and bark, lighter branches and twigs, fluttering light leaves, fractal surface. The image of 46 from LiSe:
The great image says:
Earth center gives birth to wood: ascending
The noble one, with devoted character, accumulates small things to become tall and big
reminds me that even the tallest trees have to absorb water & nutrients atom by atom.

What I find most interesting is the link between this hexagram unchanging and answers about the I-Ching and meditations, and sacred geometry. The Golden Mean leads to the Fibonacci Sequence, which life 'thinks' in. https://www.sciencenews.org/article/mathematical-lives-plants
Hexagram 46 'Pushing Upwards' is so redolent with imagery of plant growth & trees, that I find the link to the Golden Ratio fascinating and amazing! One of those moments when the Yi is not just bang on, but really on the ball, opening up deeper understandings of reality by pointing into mathematics?

I have often got 46uc in relation to "what is today about? ", and it often is a day of 'get this done, then that', step by step, no great actions or big plan. I always feel reassured with 46uc, seems that Yi is saying "you are in harmony, you are part of a much bigger dance, keep going, step by step, bit by bit, just grow, just be, you are in harmony with your Dao and the universe unfolding around you. Just be"

TwoGeese

visitor
Reaction score
Just received this hex about a dream that had stairs, sadness, grief, overwhelming love and much growth. Way to personal for the internet's but very aware of ,"do not worry" and "growing upward". Thank you all for your shares.

V

veavea

A quick one: I came home this evening to find the cat had gone out through his flap. Now, I’ve recently moved onto a boat and even more recently installed the flap, and the cat usually prefers to wait for me to open the door for him. Plus he’s asleep on the bed 99% of the time. And I worry a bit about the various hazards in the vicinity - mostly involving falling in the water. Anyway, after an hour or so I was a bit worried, and asked yi where is cat, is he ok? 42.1.6>8. Ok - not too sure what that means exactly but no indication of watery doom. I got the sense he was coming back even if he was playing daredevil somewhere. Next question- when will he come back? 46uc.

He came back half an hour later, having incurred no obvious disasters...

Carmina

visitor
Reaction score
I have got this hexagram quite often lately, always in regards to some job relating concerns. I get it, right. One foot at a time. However I always try to find some imaginery to work with 'to set things right in the South? What happens in the South?Any help with this?Thanks!

L

legume

i had a relatively simple task to perform at work, though related to a project i haven’t been involved with at all, as the person responsible was on holiday. i got (well, not literally) chased by someone whose behind seemed to be on fire and was depending on yet another team of people, who apparently didn’t know they were supposed to take any action… i knew only my small piece of the whole puzzle, but whatever i tried just wouldn’t work and nobody had answers why…

i asked I Ching (what needs to be done to make something available) and got 46 uc. so, very reluctantly, i ended up disturbing my colleague who was away (definitely the great man), who told me not to worry and confirmed i already correctly understand what’s missing. there was heaps of email exchange and small bits of information flying back and forth that eventually gave me enough clarity to tell relevant people what needs to be done and how (the man of devoted character heaps up small things in order to achieve something high and great). while the issue got escalated to the management (well, things went a bit south :rofl:) i ended up coordinating something quite important and possibly gained some visibility within my company (not something i’m generally after, but might come in handy if i’m to climb the career ladder on this path still).

looking back, the funniest thing is that the answer's in the name itself - in my job we often „push” some things from one system to the other, and the solution was to push the missing bits „upward” in a way - something that the other team completely forgot (how) to do... ;)

Last edited:

Yasmin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I have cast 46UC a number of times regarding refurbishment works. It worked out rather literally: a clear plan, hard work, sometimes superhuman diligence, to keep going, one step after the other. Plumbing, electricals, tiling, decorating, thousnads of details, that had to be managed in sequence, patiently, competently. Hence the “great man” - good tradesmen. In most cases, I was very naive about all the little steps, little details. and how much time and hard work it would take. “Do you want those tiles laid facing forward or sideways? How high do you want that cabinet? How many shelves do you want? How far spaced apart? Where do you want that socket?” In hindsight, the Yi was saying “ yes it can be done successfully, but it will take a lot of commitment, and hard work, for a lot more time than you imagine”.

In relationships, it reminds me a bit of 53 - a labour of love.I suppose a long standing relationship is built on a thousand little gestures that generate trust and attachment over the years. But has anyone ever had success with 46UC in starting a relationship? I don’t know, but maybe it could take so long that it may never come to fruition!

I have not experienced 46UC as outgrown, that’s an interesting point of view.

VirgoPisces

visitor
Reaction score
Why not sneak in here for my first ever post in this forum and share my own 46 uc 😊

I was recently - and shockingly - let go from my relatively high position, one I’ve worked very, very hard to attain. I was already on antidepressants and some other medications, while also seeing a therapist twice a week; all of this for reasons completely unrelated to anything happening at my workplace.

Losing my job was what finally broke me though and so my doctor and my psychiatrist got their way and now instead of working my last few months, I’m on sick leave. And so, today was my first day out of the office and it was a nice day: I spent it with family and friends and to my surprise I feel calmer than I’ve done in a long time. In a parallel universe there’s a panicked version of me running around in circles and throwing up but this version of me just.. isn’t?

And just now, I had spent a few hours thinking about what to do during my sick leave that wasn’t immediately stressing out about finding another job. Instead I realized there is so much I can do now that would be just for me. Good, constructive things that would create a healthy focus while I sort out my mental issues, and at the same time also affirm my intention to pick up all the things in my life that I feel like I’ve neglected in favor of my career and ambition. I started to see that there might still be a life after this, maybe even an good one, and so many possibilities for me to be a healthier, happier version of the medicated, overworked corporate drone who just got arbitrarily fired. Once I had this thought I spoke to Yi and said,

“Feeling optimistic - energized. Ironically? What is your comment “ 46 unchanging.

Obviously the question was because I know that there’s really not a lot for me to be happy about right now and I wanted to know if I was delusional basically. Like there’s no logical reason for me to be optimistic at this point - I still haven’t done anything or started anything so as far as I know I’m screwed but still there’s a sense of enthusiasm and light still. The message 46 uc imparted on me was: confidently leaving my past behind and moving towards my new future… building it step by step😊

V

veavea

In general cats can be said to contribute a great deal to our knowledge of Yi

🐱

No disrespect to the dog community but it does seem to me cat's are greater contributors to the archives here.
Cats… well, cats are ancient and wise. Not so sure about dogs. 😸

V

veavea

As someone said above, I too was missing a cat and asked the I Ching if he would return and got 46 uc. He has returned 24 hours later unharmed.
Well, that was my cat but there was a later instalment to that tale which ended less happily in the thread for 2 unchanging… 😿

Liolik

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Received it when I asked why my laser hair removal is so slow compared to most. I am a perfect candidate for the procedure and long ago I had achieved better results with 1/2 less sessions. It depends a lot on esthetician experience too, hence was the question.
Quoting Trojina quoting wing:
…ADVANCEMENT will occur only with a diligent and long-term approach toward the objective of your inquiry. You cannot expect to make a giant leap toward your objective through a single sweeping gesture…
Very literal research response. Just needed more sessions this time. Maybe because hormones are not at the same level when I was much younger.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).