...life can be translucent

Menu

Your Experiences with Unchanging Castings-Hexagram 48

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Here is an interesting thread about 48uc to start with. Great idea about consciously remembering unpleasant things when in a good mental state.

I looked through my journal and see I have many casts with 48 as the relating hexagram but only a few with 48uc as the primary. 48 as relating often seems to show the backdrop as pool of resource of some kind. Often with 48 as relating hexagram I am aware it's not just me and the problem like in 47. There's a shared pool of resources and I've seen this come as perhaps help from the wider community. I know when occasionally I have asked forum related questions for example about some issue others noticed whatever it is at the same time and so on.

So with 48 as relating hex whatever the issue is about other people likely have awareness of it too or it is part of a collective situation. I'm sure I have seen 48 a few times as the relating hexagram for lost parcels. Yes they were in the depot ! But this isn't a thread about relating hexagrams....though that would be interesting.

My impression on thinking of 48uc is quite a sense of vastness ! The great pool of memory. I'm sure I had 48uc when asking about some dream experience. In dreams reaching down into the well of archetypes, of mass consciousness. As I write it occurs to me 48uc could suggest being somewhat overwhelmed by the subconscious or the collective consciousness ? Just a thought. Hilary once said in her Blog how the lines in an answer give one a place to stand, a subjective position to see the query from. When the hexagram is unchanging one does not have a place to stand outside of the situation one is in it ! That's why I wondered if both 47 and 48 as purely inner experience would be particularly over whelming. In 47 one might feel very starkly alone. In 48uc one might feels so enmeshed and part of the collective one may not be able to tell when one's own influence ends and where others begins. Just speculating there if 48uc might show in situations so very much part of others collective sphere it would bring home particularly what it is to be human....perhaps

Mundane Experiences :)

1. I am on a waiting list for a housing association/council flat. I asked Yi last year what my prospects were for a suitable flat coming up for me. The way it works here is there is a selection of properties put up each week on the housing office website. One must place a 'bid' and then one is put in a queue according to how many points one has, how many others are bidding and so on. I got 48uc and felt Yi was just saying 'there is the well, that is the resource....will your bucket reach the water ?' It was in fact I think an answer that merely reflected the situation back to me but also I understood there were no hidden factors. It is exactly as it looks. It's a well of properties. I felt it a very plain answer.
I don't have one yet but the well is still there and I am still bidding.

2. A neurotic question. :freak: I was worried I had offended the people downstairs. I won't go into detail but I thought I had. Asked Yi, got 48uc. It turned out I hadn't at all and they became friends. Not sure exactly how the answer applies except that they are very much part of the local community and even though they have moved now I still see them around and so on.

I think I will have to turn to the Image...from Hilary's book

'Above the wood is the stream: the Well.
A noble one toils with the people,
encouraging them to help one another.'

If you could lean over an old Chinese well and look down, you would see a frame of logs at the bottom, used to retain the silty soil as it was dug. The noble one is as committed and involved in the well as the frame itself: inwardly as responsive as roots, outwardly pouring himself into the work like a flowing stream. The well is a vital shared resource ; everyone must co operate to build and maintain it.

Wing says of 48uc in her I Ching Workbook

SUN, penetration, in the lower trigram of human affairs moves upward into the realm of K'AN, the profound. Without change THE SOURCE indicates that it will take the co-operation of several others to achieve your aim. Do not neglect to truly investigate the aspect of human nature at work in the situation and use these insights to organise others and implement your plan.

How have you personally experienced 48uc in your own readings ?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Here is something Lilly posted last year on 48uc

lilly

Here is one for The Well 48 trojan might like to post to a special thread?

My mother, suffering from dementia, living in a nursery home did faint/collapse a couple of times. No one knew why and i (usually having a good feeling for her) could not figure it out either. Usually i do not consult the Yi for minor stuff like health, pets and so on but this time i did. Got The Well 48 and immediately i knew it had to do with water and drinking though she seemed to drink well. I went thru her meds and voila, the cares had forgotten to discontinue a special drug for dehydration. Once she was free of this drug she stopped fainting.

I was blown away from the Yi.

knotxx

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I too get a sense of vastness with 48, and with 48uc it feels like kind of an undisturbed vastness, un-penetrated. Sometimes this is good (as with your not-offended neighbors), sometimes not as good (as with the suitable flat that has yet to turn up).

I also once had it for a dream--specifically a baby in a dream. I think 48uc is rather good for a dream-baby, a vast well of potential that is yet untapped.

My own mundane ones:

1. "Why do I stay at this job I don’t like?" 48uc. At the time I took this to mean "because it's where you get your water/$$, duh." In retrospect I think it may also have meant that there was a great well of other possibilities I had not yet tapped, and wouldn't begin to for another six months or so.

2. When I had had a big disappointment in my career: "what do you think of holding out a little hope that something else good will come?" 48uc In the year-plus since, nothing good on that scale has come, though of course many smaller career happinesses have come, and you know, I'm not dead yet. Or maybe hope itself is a well?

3. When I was feeling at wit's end about difficulty with a business partner: "Is there another partner out there for me?" 48uc I took this to mean "yes, a whole well-ful!" Maybe that's the case, but I am now becoming on better terms now with my original one, so I dunno.

Last edited:

Yasmin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering what gift to bring a childhood friend who lives abroad. I had not seen her since adolescence, and did not know what she could possibly like. Then I remembered that I had some old photos with members of her family, who have now passed away. I asked IC: what if I bring those photos as a gift? And drew 48UC - I took it as "this will open up a well of common memories".

peter2610

visitor
Reaction score
48 uc

I've often received 48 uc in situations where I either haven't applied or fully understood the guidance already given to me by the I Ching in relation to the situation now under review. It acts as a gentle reminder that I've asked this question, or a very similar one, in the past and not applied the guidance I was given. This ties-in nicely with the individual lines which are often questioning our making the best use of the I Ching. For example, 2nd yang - At the wellhole one shoots fishes, the jug is broken and leaks - is often referring to our seeking the wrong information or misunderstanding the information we are given, either way we are 'shooting fish' that is we are reaching an inferior understanding of the situation (fish were regarded as very unintelligent) whilst a true understanding of the situation lies neglected and unused - 'The jug is broken and leaks.'

Yasmin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I recently cast 48UC twice in a row about different questions- a sure sign that I needed to spend more time pondering this. The overall feeling I get from 48UC is of permanence and gentleness. I find it soothing, as if the IC is saying "you have to depth of resources to draw from".

After a particularly stressful and emotional week, advice for the week end? 48UC
For me, water is about emotions. Actually, Trojan's thought about feeling overwhelmed by emotions or the unconscious resonates. I took it as a straightforward "replenish your Emotional resources". Do something involving water- going to the pool for a swim did make me feel much more integrated. But also a few of my friends are going through a lot of life changes, so perhaps meet up with them and be mutually supportive.

What about a life long friendship which is currently on "pause"? 48UC
We share a lifetime of common memories, a real friendship and affection. But friendships can be closer or more distant at times, depending on what else is going on. And at the moment, a lot going on for both of us, add an awkward misunderstanding, and I feel it is just paused. No contact. It takes two to stay in touch, to cultivate a relationship, and neither of us has been up to it, the timing is just not right. I suppose this is a phase of the bucket not reaching the water.
I am taking 48UC as advice to sit with the memories and remember the lifetime of goodwill, the depth of the well. That however many times each of us has moved or had big life changes (moving the capital), we have always managed to maintain that connection, because the well goes deep. No worries: the well is there for us to draw from when we are ready.

Last edited:
V

veavea

I just received 48uc for the question: 'am I in trouble? Doing too much?' because sometimes yi tells me off for overextending and going too far with plans and ideas. I took 48uc to mean that it's ok, the well is there (but also stay chill).

I've also had 48uc for the question: 'should I discourage the squirrel?' wondering if the squirrel in my garden was over consuming bird food. I took it to mean there is plenty for everyone.

I've had 48uc for the question 'generally spinning out in panic' - which was really a self description, not a question.

And some other examples that were less distinct. Such as: 'will the guardian publish this?' Article was published elsewhere. Also, more obscurely, 'any point asking x if he knows someone who can translate this Japanese word'. I didn't ask, but on reflection I can probably cast my net wider to find a Japanese speaker...

Hopefully some of that made sense, I'm typing on my phone sitting in a megabus :)

galatea11

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Happy New Year! This morning I received 48UC for my daily reading. According to my journal I last received it in November 2016. When I looked up the reading I found these notes to myself:

48 - "Image also refers to world of plants which lift water out of the Earth by means of their fibers." and "Wood sucks water upward." In fact, I had been taking fiber supplements - way too many - and they were sucking all the water out of my colon.

Sorry this is a little delicate but I'd been suffering from constipation around that time and it turned out that the fiber capsules were doing way more harm than good. Very grateful for the 48UC reading. Those two sentences with quotation marks likely came from this forum but I did not note down who wrote them.

This morning's 48UC probably reflects the fact that I need to start hydrating with water again - I'd been prodding myself through the holidays with alcohol and caffeine.

Right now I feel like Lilly in her words that Trojina kindly re-posted in this thread:

I was blown away from the Yi.

iams girl

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
1. Weekly open reading: A focus on joyful giving in an environment of a multitude of needs. Learning to stop trying to “do it all” instead of forging ahead to the point of resentment and blaming others. Letting go of things and trusting in the greater universal plan to work itself out until I could give joyfully again.

2. Yearly reading: Using a sun sign method (two sun signs per line) matched up amazingly well with my life circumstances:
48.1: Life in a relationship so negative it was like living "submerged in mud" (Dec 22-Feb 18).
48.2: "At a wellhole one shoots fishes.” I was an easy target for escalating barbs of contempt in the relationship (Feb 19-Apr 19).
48.3: "The well is cleaned, but no one drinks from it.” Feeling strengthened from counseling, but still not appreciated at home in addition to problems at work (Apr 20-Jun 20).
48.4: "The well is being lined.” Great changes; I separated and moved across the country to live with family (Jun 21-Aug 22).
48.5: "In the well there is a clear, cold spring … only a potentiality for refreshment as long as it is not brought up.” I applied for several jobs until I was finally discovered and hired (Aug 23-Oct 22).
48.6: "One draws from the well without hindrance. It is dependable. Supreme good fortune.” I now felt settled and joyful being able to fully share in relationships with family, friends, and at work (Oct 23-Dec 21).

steve

visitor
Reaction score
Recently I have been casting hexagram 48, just today I cast 48.3.6>59 which I was pretty happy about. Line 3 I used to look at as quite bleak. In fact the resources are there but are simply not being used. In my case if they are leads to line 6 which is fantastic, saying this its a matter of finding out what the resources are and then applying them.

The reason I posted was because that I cast hexagram 48 Unchanging a couple of weeks ago. I have always since I have consulted the book found something really positive in hexagram 48.

I like it in the way its permanent unlike some of the others. It does feel like some ways like its not changing at all.

I took the answer now looking back, that i have this reading of 48.3.6>59

, dig deep, look its there, there is plenty to go around, get your hands dirty, seek and ye shall find

Its up to you, type thing

PS the questions were similar just about the progress of my business

Steve

steve

visitor
Reaction score
Hexagram 48, could be associated with mining, also, the well is a long way down and there is lovely cool water, if the bucket breaks, look for another bucket. Once you are drinking the water then its all been worth it.

Steve

Olga Super Star

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I asked what is the situation of my ovaries (their reserve) and get it as there is plenty of eggs still to use down your ovarian well, but.. will you be able to find a man and use one?

In the oracle the well can’t be reached. And I see no man on the horizon yet.

Last edited:
L

legume

i came back home a little tipsy and next morning couldn't find my bike keys. where are my bike keys? i checked the kitchen sink and the bathroom, looked few times at my table (which was a bit messy, i admit) but couldn't find them, couldn't use the bike and had to walk. once i got back home i kept looking and then saw a napkin i left on the table that i must have pulled out of my pocket the day before. i was sure i checked the table, yet there they were, under the napkin... right next to the bottle of water. great reminder that my brain needed hydration too :lol:

steve

visitor
Reaction score
Hi all

I have just recieved this reading for my Sunday cast on work. " what do I need to know going forward" Very helpful indeed, this thread, even my own comments. At this point my business has grown a whole lot since i commented last. Meaning, i have more staff, money etc.

Simply, I believe I am being advised as before, you have the resources, use them, have fun, see what you can retrieve. Then come back and cast again.

Lastly, as you can see my business has changed however the advice has not.

Steve

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).