...life can be translucent

Menu
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Any interest in Tarot?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Any interest in Tarot?

Hi all-
    I’m working on a new Tarot book. It’s still a few months from completion. It’s called Tarot as a Counseling Language: Core Meanings of the Cards. I’ve decided to keep the ongoing rough draft posted online for the curious, and for any feedback it might lead to. The first chapter is up now, about 40 pages, reviewing the suits, court and numbers that are used as components of the Minor Arcana.
    Like all of my work, the finished book will be free to download, so I have no need to adapt it to making money, or sell out make it sell better. As such, it does not need to be easy to read: only informative. It’s not a beginners book.
    http://www.hermetica.info/Tarot.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Thanks, Bradford

I already find your Yijing work very helpful and interesting. Onward with Tarot!
    http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/frien...ilies/zen2.gif

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i look forward to the finished book. i read for other people and enjoy finding new things about tarot or divination in general

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default would love to learn tarot

Hi Bradford, I am very new to tarot and know nothing about it. How do I get started... It looks a bit daunting...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laura126 View Post
    Hi Bradford, I am very new to tarot and know nothing about it. How do I get started... It looks a bit daunting...
    It's only daunting if you're doing it right.
    You probably wouldn't want to start with mine, although I do recommend getting hold of the best sources you can very early on, even if they are challenging. We build our knowledge on the first blocks laid down and if these are inferior we get a lousy structure with lots of stuff that's hard to unlearn later. Same is true with the Yi.
    That link has another link to an annotated Tarot bibliography. I studied about a hundred and fifty books for this project and rated them A, B & C. Not many got A's, and maybe more of those were histories that stripped some of the ridiculous claims away. Several got B's, which are all fairly decent. Most got C's, not worth acquiring. So I can recommend the A's and B's. There is also a link to study links there. I didn't really post any bad links. You might look into Joan Bunning's free online course there.
    If you make a list I likely have at least a few of them in PDF format. Share the list and I'll send what I can.
    Have fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The image of the 9.11 Falling Man gives the Tower and Hanged Man Tarot cards a prophetic quality.
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=tree+...0tarot%20tower
    Last edited by peterg; September 19th, 2014 at 02:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A lot of people have a problem with the image of the 9.11 Falling Man. But it has become an iconic recurring image so it probably needs to be dealt with and assimilated.

The secret of the Hanged Man's 'smile' is his trump card. Card 12 reversed becomes the dancing figure of the World card 21.( Miss World nude.) The victim of reverse hanging or strappado, he is baffled and crucified but his impossible situation becomes a triumph of resurrection at the end.

Thats inspired by Marc Patrick Hederman, Benedictine and Abbot of Glenstal Abbey in ''Tarot. Talisman or Taboo. Reading the World as Symbol.''
    http://www.catholicireland.net/tarot...rld-as-symbol/
    The book has striking full page colour illustrations of the Marseilles Trumps.
    He thinks the spherical balls of fire in the Tower card give the impression of global disturbance.

Scan of image and text of The Hanged Man from Hedermans book.
    https://scontent-b-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/...43&oe=54C4FA47
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...0ee4acc59ed858
    Last edited by peterg; September 19th, 2014 at 02:16 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The Tower, of course, captures several scenarios as a symbol, and the Twin Towers is certainly a good one.
    It's usually thought that the Tower of Babel was the main inspiration, man's hubris attracting the wrath of a real jealous jerk of a deity. I can't help but wonder about that, though, in the light of how it came to be sometimes called the House of God. It makes me wonder if folks in the middle ages started to notice that the taller the churches built their steeples the more likely they were to get struck by lightning. Same principle of hubris though. But that's still just part of it. Another common meaning is the sudden release from a man-made prison of too much security, certainly an ironic meaning for 9-11 as it caused the US to construct that same prison for itself and its citizens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes I like Tarot and have several books, and several card packs including Crowley's and Oshos. But I am not very good a understanding it, so your publication will I am sure be very valuable!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The draft of the 14 Wands is posted now.
    http://www.hermetica.info/Tarot.htm
    the 14 Cups should be ready by Oct 24.

I didn't mention before that I've developed a system of correlation between Tarot and the Yijing, so that one can be used to interpret the other. I've been using it since 1976. It uses the two-partedness of the symbols, called Portmanteau analysis. There is a little bit of Yijing discussion for each card. I'm aware that several other people have propagated systems to connect the two, but I haven't found one that has been done by someone who really understands both systems. I did keep Crowley's assignments of court cards to 16 of the gua, and most of his attributions of ba gua to the Sephiroth as pip numbers.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast