...life can be translucent

Menu

Any interest in Tarot?

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all-
I’m working on a new Tarot book. It’s still a few months from completion. It’s called Tarot as a Counseling Language: Core Meanings of the Cards. I’ve decided to keep the ongoing rough draft posted online for the curious, and for any feedback it might lead to. The first chapter is up now, about 40 pages, reviewing the suits, court and numbers that are used as components of the Minor Arcana.
Like all of my work, the finished book will be free to download, so I have no need to adapt it to making money, or sell out make it sell better. As such, it does not need to be easy to read: only informative. It’s not a beginners book.
http://www.hermetica.info/Tarot.htm

Clarinda

visitor
Reaction score
i look forward to the finished book. i read for other people and enjoy finding new things about tarot or divination in general

laura126

visitor
Reaction score
would love to learn tarot

Hi Bradford, I am very new to tarot and know nothing about it. How do I get started... It looks a bit daunting...

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Bradford, I am very new to tarot and know nothing about it. How do I get started... It looks a bit daunting...

It's only daunting if you're doing it right.
You probably wouldn't want to start with mine, although I do recommend getting hold of the best sources you can very early on, even if they are challenging. We build our knowledge on the first blocks laid down and if these are inferior we get a lousy structure with lots of stuff that's hard to unlearn later. Same is true with the Yi.
That link has another link to an annotated Tarot bibliography. I studied about a hundred and fifty books for this project and rated them A, B & C. Not many got A's, and maybe more of those were histories that stripped some of the ridiculous claims away. Several got B's, which are all fairly decent. Most got C's, not worth acquiring. So I can recommend the A's and B's. There is also a link to study links there. I didn't really post any bad links. You might look into Joan Bunning's free online course there.
If you make a list I likely have at least a few of them in PDF format. Share the list and I'll send what I can.
Have fun.

P

peterg

A lot of people have a problem with the image of the 9.11 Falling Man. But it has become an iconic recurring image so it probably needs to be dealt with and assimilated.

The secret of the Hanged Man's 'smile' is his trump card. Card 12 reversed becomes the dancing figure of the World card 21.( Miss World nude.) The victim of reverse hanging or strappado, he is baffled and crucified but his impossible situation becomes a triumph of resurrection at the end.

Thats inspired by Marc Patrick Hederman, Benedictine and Abbot of Glenstal Abbey in ''Tarot. Talisman or Taboo. Reading the World as Symbol.''
http://www.catholicireland.net/tarot-talisman-or-taboo-reading-the-world-as-symbol/
The book has striking full page colour illustrations of the Marseilles Trumps.
He thinks the spherical balls of fire in the Tower card give the impression of global disturbance.

Scan of image and text of The Hanged Man from Hedermans book.
https://scontent-b-fra.xx.fbcdn.net...=1bafc87b0775293e23aeb3ab250d6343&oe=54C4FA47
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd...._=1422985531_5026c2390c5d45ea890ee4acc59ed858

Last edited:

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The Tower, of course, captures several scenarios as a symbol, and the Twin Towers is certainly a good one.
It's usually thought that the Tower of Babel was the main inspiration, man's hubris attracting the wrath of a real jealous jerk of a deity. I can't help but wonder about that, though, in the light of how it came to be sometimes called the House of God. It makes me wonder if folks in the middle ages started to notice that the taller the churches built their steeples the more likely they were to get struck by lightning. Same principle of hubris though. But that's still just part of it. Another common meaning is the sudden release from a man-made prison of too much security, certainly an ironic meaning for 9-11 as it caused the US to construct that same prison for itself and its citizens.

NemeanMagik

visitor
Reaction score
Yes I like Tarot and have several books, and several card packs including Crowley's and Oshos. But I am not very good a understanding it, so your publication will I am sure be very valuable!

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The draft of the 14 Wands is posted now.
the 14 Cups should be ready by Oct 24.

I didn't mention before that I've developed a system of correlation between Tarot and the Yijing, so that one can be used to interpret the other. I've been using it since 1976. It uses the two-partedness of the symbols, called Portmanteau analysis. There is a little bit of Yijing discussion for each card. I'm aware that several other people have propagated systems to connect the two, but I haven't found one that has been done by someone who really understands both systems. I did keep Crowley's assignments of court cards to 16 of the gua, and most of his attributions of ba gua to the Sephiroth as pip numbers.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The draft of the 14 Pentacles is posted now,
completing the draft for all 56 minor arcana
and the 18 elements that compose them.
The Introductory material will be next, by Xmas,
then another month to work on the trumps.

Brendon

visitor
Reaction score
tarrot

iam very much interested to see what tarrot has to say about my future

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
iam very much interested to see what tarrot has to say about my future

I'm afraid my approach is to strip fortune telling and prediction out of the Tarot and replace it with self-directed agency.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The introduction and introductory sections are drafted and posted now, leaving only the trumps, hopefully to be drafted by Feb 10.
The intro explains the whole approach and why the book is written for even the most skeptically inclined, with most of the new age "thinking" and fortune telling removed.

fyreflye

visitor
Reaction score
I'm a great fan of Tarot imagery but generally can't read any deck but the Osho Zen, which speaks to me as clearly as the yijing does. I've superbookmarked your tarot page in order to follow it. Don't be afraid to charge a reasonable amount fort the finished work.

B

butterfly spider

The Tarot has always scared me - unlike the I Ching I suppose it is the imagery staring at you unlike when you cast. I always think of Tarot as being a mirror - akin to Seeping Beauty. I have several packs and now use Wildwood Tarot. I find the pictures comforting unlike the Marseille pack. What I find is that in times of crisis Tarot cuts to the quick - recently I kept getting the Guardian crossed by the Tower - 4 times with 7 swords popping about. Likewise I have got he. 63 to 21 and then back again in a circle. I had a wonderful astrologer give me a tarot reading this week. It is sometimes difficult interpreting your own cards. I got the Devil the tower and the 7 swords (final card). But also 2 cups rev ....and my friend was able to give insight. What struck me was the similarity between my castings and the readings. I feel tied to a tree or up it at least with problems pointing at me - and the similarities between the two were obvious.
However I feel that whereas I Ching belongs to me Tarot does not - it is like a stranger at the dinner party
The similarity between hexagram 24 and the chariot and hex 1 and the Fool always stick with me. The fool is my Tarot card
Probably doesn't make sense but it all helps to add to the pot
When I get to a computer I will look at your work
You posted a lovely reply to my thread a little while ago - so will try to give as much feedback as I can
Am a bit of a novice in all of this - the more I delve the less I seem to understand ....
X

B

butterfly spider

The Tarot has always scared me - unlike the I Ching I suppose it is the imagery staring at you unlike when you cast. I always think of Tarot as being a mirror - akin to Seeping Beauty. I have several packs and now use Wildwood Tarot. I find the pictures comforting unlike the Marseille pack. What I find is that in times of crisis Tarot cuts to the quick - recently I kept getting the Guardian crossed by the Tower - 4 times with 7 swords popping about. Likewise I have got he. 63 to 21 and then back again in a circle. I had a wonderful astrologer give me a tarot reading this week. It is sometimes difficult interpreting your own cards. I got the Devil the tower and the 7 swords (final card). But also 2 cups rev ....and my friend was able to give insight. What struck me was the similarity between my castings and the readings. I feel tied to a tree or up it at least with problems pointing at me - and the similarities between the two were obvious.
However I feel that whereas I Ching belongs to me Tarot does not - it is like a stranger at the dinner party
The similarity between hexagram 24 and the chariot and hex 1 and the Fool always stick with me. The fool is my Tarot card
Probably doesn't make sense but it all helps to add to the pot
When I get to a computer I will look at your work
You posted a lovely reply to my thread a little while ago - so will try to give as much feedback as I can
Am a bit of a novice in all of this - the more I delve the less I seem to understand ....
X

B

butterfly spider

Sorry - my phone my eyes and my ineptitude.
I think the comments re fortune telling reveal a great deal about Tarot - maybe it has to do with Roald Dajl and Tales of the unexpected but there is definitely a sinister - almost deathly quality to fortune telling. Might I die and the hanged man. The whole idea of the devil and evil for example. I live near Glastonbury and the idea of fortune tellers and money making springs to mind.
Making money out of fortune telling does not sit well with me - guidance and self discovery are different.
Thank you for offering your insights for free -
X

B

butterfly spider

Hexagram 15 and 7 swords resonates with me too. Both offer insights as to turning our gaze inwards and almost not looking directly at our situation or problem. Finding the best solution within our own mind

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
BTW you are posting duplicates...that is you posted the same post twice in post 19 and 20.

You aren't the only one. For some reason this forum goes through times where it posts everything twice.

B

butterfly spider

Apologies. Don't know how that happened. The site seemed to freeze on posting
Btw. Butterflies. I have been having butterflies everywhere. My daughter who has been very ill has just phoned in the past 3 minutes. A black and red large butterfly landed on her curtains - she said it was strange
Xx

B

butterfly spider

Perhaps it just needs to get something across more urgently - or it may want to justify its existence...

B

butterfly spider

Am making my way through bradfords gems - it is difficult in my phone ...

B

butterfly spider

In the wildwood tarot the 4 of arrows (swords) depicts a butterfly rising from an injured man
Rest and repair and rejuvination

Brendon

visitor
Reaction score
is tarrot is related with astrology can it trace the future or is it just a mind of intuition that is playing a game here

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Resonant connections are made in tarot with the symbols of astrology, but the cards are not tied in any way to the location of stars or planets. Cards can be used to interpret both charts and transits, if you have a system of correspondences that ties them both together. Several such systems exist.

B

butterfly spider

My astrologer friend asked me where my moon sat in my astrological birth chart when doing a tarot reading - I had rev moon in my reading. My moon is in Pisces and he said that this would emphasise its impact on the 7 swords and 8 swords in my reading. Many of my life issues revolve around decisions and I am a Libran. The fool is my tarot card (why is a long story) but it is also called the wanderer.
Just a thought
Am halfway through reading the material

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).