...life can be translucent

Menu

Glitches and fixes thread

soma

visitor
Reaction score
Congratulations on the launch Hilary & Justin! And thank you :bows:

I am just trying it out and found what I think may be bugs? I couldn't find answers on the readme so just posting here.

I found that if I import a text reading from the online tool, it keeps saying there is an error and it may not be saved, and to escape from that message there is only the option of pressing an OK button. I had to press OK many times, then finally it went away, replaced with a success message. However, it did not save the cast, only the question. I tried this with 2 readings just to be sure, same result.

The other thing was that I recorded a reading manually but made a mistake with the lines, and it wouldn't let me edit it, so I had to delete and made a new one. Can't find anything in the readme that shows how to edit readings.

Also on the right column for yijing readings which has tabs saying 'create new cast' etc. -- if I click on 'select from list' the whole column goes blank. I am sure this didn't happen the first time I tried it earlier.
And the 'drag and drop' screen does not have a 'back to menu' button like the other 2.

Just for your attention, I know its still beta so I thought you may like to know.

RindaR

visitor
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
My attempt at saving to the journal went flawlessly. Initially I was not sure it was doing anything until I closed the browser. Then bingo- there it was in all it's glory!

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
For no good reason other than avoiding other things I should be doing in life, I just cast a dummy reading in the online reading tool, since people have mentioned there's a shiny new export to journal button.

When I opened the resulting text file, I saw...a time stamp. Awww! Thanks :hugs:.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Congratulations on the launch Hilary & Justin! And thank you :bows:

I am just trying it out and found what I think may be bugs? I couldn't find answers on the readme so just posting here.
And I replied last night... where has that post gone? Bah. Sorry for delay. Try again.
I found that if I import a text reading from the online tool, it keeps saying there is an error and it may not be saved, and to escape from that message there is only the option of pressing an OK button. I had to press OK many times, then finally it went away, replaced with a success message. However, it did not save the cast, only the question. I tried this with 2 readings just to be sure, same result.
That sounds like the same problem as this -
For no good reason other than avoiding other things I should be doing in life, I just cast a dummy reading in the online reading tool, since people have mentioned there's a shiny new export to journal button.

When I opened the resulting text file, I saw...a time stamp. Awww! Thanks :hugs:.
Oh, don't mention it! :p

Heh. Er - it works fine for me every time. The resultant text file is very small, but it does contain question, hexagrams and lines, and date.

This sounds like something to forward to Ewald (who created the export function). Lisa, Soma, could you send me the text file you get when you export a reading? (Maybe ask a test question along the lines of 'why isn't this working?') And details of the browser you're using? I will forward to Ewald who will no doubt find a fix.

The other thing was that I recorded a reading manually but made a mistake with the lines, and it wouldn't let me edit it, so I had to delete and made a new one. Can't find anything in the readme that shows how to edit readings.
That's more of a missing feature than a bug. I will put 'edit casts' on the list of improvements for next time.
Also on the right column for yijing readings which has tabs saying 'create new cast' etc. -- if I click on 'select from list' the whole column goes blank. I am sure this didn't happen the first time I tried it earlier.
...whereas that's a bug.
And the 'drag and drop' screen does not have a 'back to menu' button like the other 2.

Just for your attention, I know its still beta so I thought you may like to know.
It's actually out of beta (hence the asking for money after 30 days part), but still in its infancy (hence the 'early supporters' price' part).

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hilary, I'm not actually having a problem. I commented just to say I'm tickled to see the time stamp :D. ("Glitches and Fixes" isn't the best place for expressing delight, probably, but a "Yay timestamp!" thread seemed like overkill.)

My online dummy reading text file from last night imported just fine to the beta version just now (I don't have the launch version yet - Justin emailed and said he'd send upgrade instructions in a day or two).

When I imported the text file, I got a message saying something like, "No errors detected," which implies it knows to check for errors, but this one sample of mine worked perfectly.

(I used Firefox 33.1.1, which was the latest version a couple days ago.)

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Ah. I thought you meant you only got a timestamp and the file was otherwise empty. That sounded as though it would have caused the error message Soma was getting.

Mmph. Soma, could you send me the offending text file?

soma

visitor
Reaction score
It's actually out of beta (hence the asking for money after 30 days part), but still in its infancy (hence the 'early supporters' price' part).

Oh maybe I'm missing something - when I start it there is a message saying 'journal software in beta. License keys not supported'. I just downloaded it from this page:http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/journal/download.php. Thats the only place to get it isn't it? So I couldn't have downloaded an older version by mistake?

Soma, could you send me the text file you get when you export a reading? (Maybe ask a test question along the lines of 'why isn't this working?') And details of the browser you're using?

Sure. Will send you an email. The text file does seem to have the hexagram and lines in {{ }}.
The browser is Firefox 34.0

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
63.3? Good to see Yi's sense of humour is unimpaired.:rolleyes:

Somehow you're using an older, beta version which is not the version you downloaded from the website. (It actually can't be, as the beta version was never available from the site.)

Two alternative suggestions:

1) If you don't have many entries in the version you're using, delete the whole thing, or at least rename/ move it somewhere so you won't open it by mistake.

Then look in your download folder for ResonanceJournal.exe, and if you find it, move it to wherever you want your journal, open it and get started. Or if you don't have the exe file, go back to http://www.onlineClarity.co.uk/journal/ and download it.

Oh, and don't open the newly downloaded version while your old copy is still open - close it first! Having two open at once can wreak database havoc.

2) If you have a lot of entries in the version you're using, contact Justin to say you have a beta version and need to upgrade. He's contacting our beta testers with an upgrade script. (Email me to forward to Justin if you don't have his email address.)

soma

visitor
Reaction score
Working! When I ran the .exe file I orginally downloaded, it extracted into a folder. I simply deleted the folder and ran the .exe again, and all seems to be well. I noticed that the name of the folder extracted was different - first one was resonance journal, and this new one resonance journal 1.1. No idea what happened there but its all good. Thanks for your help!

buzzurro

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi there, first of all congratulations to Hilary & Justin!
:claps:

For more than one year I've been storing my Yijing readings in a half-baked journaling software of my own, which features a very simple function to export all the readings to the Resonance Journal.
Npw I could finally make good use of it, and it's a big satisfaction, as soon as I installed the RJ I've already more than 150 entries!
:D

Now, this is not really a glitch, it's rather a funny quirk: 3 of my oldest readings were not imported, due to the questions being very, very much too loooooooooooooooong (the shortest one is 203 characters long!)
So, ok, I had to input them manually, but when I did I found out that I could actually enter each of those three questions entirely, in its full length!
:confused:

Then, yesterday I decided to try to install the RJ on Linux Mint, and it seems to work ok.
I haven't been able to open the .exe archive, so I just copied the program folder from Windows. Then I only had to set the execute permission on the .jar file, and then the program was running.
So I wonder what's the matter with MacOSX, not that I'd ever want to use that OS, it only puzzles me...

Anyway I like the program, I've been too busy to be a beta tester, but I'll surely be an early adopter!

buzzurro

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Now I've found a little glitch in Hilary's translation, the Image of hex 26.

Workaround: read it in the book, either printed on paper or as a pdf file.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Bother - and thanks. We'll get it right in the next version!

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Am posting this here rather than submitting a support ticket because (1) it might be a problem only I'm having, and this way people can say, (2) I could swear I've used this successfully in the past - and then see (1).

The problem is that when I use Ctrl-H to open the Hexagram Browser, what happens instead is it acts like the backspace key. It starts moving backwards and deleting characters to the left.

I actually don't often use most of the keyboard shortcuts (I have a horrible memory), but this morning I decided to try learning/remembering this one - so if this is a known problem that's why I'm late to discovering it. But as I said, I really do think I've used it in the past. :confused:

All the other journal keyboard shortcuts are working fine, and my "h" key is also working fine.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
No, it isn't just you. It does that for me, too. The good news is that in the new version, which has a functioning ctrl+z/ctrl-y, ctrl+h works as it should, too. (I have a prototype/preview version to play with.) Not-so-good news: last heard of, Justin's computer was at the repairers to have the contents of its broken hard drive recovered, so the new version won't be seeing the light of day as soon as we'd thought.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, okay. Thanks, Hilary.

(I'm having an outburst of superstition at the words "contents of broken hard drive recovered" typed out loud anywhere...poor Justin...where is my magical pixie dust to ward off contagion... :()

RindaR

visitor
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
If I convert a pdf file by copying the text and pasting it into notebook, can I then import it into the journal, or does it need some specific formatting?

My initial attempt seemed ok to the journal, but was not visible when I returned to the list.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, you can copy and paste text from anywhere into the journal. I don't know why something you pasted in would disappear later, though. Did you save the entry? (But then it auto-saves anyway, so that can't be it...)

RindaR

visitor
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
ooo, doh, I tried to copy/paste, save as .txt file and import rather than taking the simpler and smarter path of just copy/paste! (I was trying to get a downloaded pdf reading from clarity directly into the journal as I hadn't used the right button.):duh: sometimes I'm just not very bright, lol.

Last edited:

catrob

visitor
Reaction score
Having problems with my journal entries. I will close the program when I am through. Then the next time I open it and review one of the journal entries, the text is wrong. In some cases, the original text is completely gone and has been replaced by the text from another journal entry. In other cases, pieces of text from another journal entry have been inserted here and there. Any ideas?

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).