...life can be translucent

Menu

14.2.4.6 to 36 - Deciding my next step in education

Mere de la Mer

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hello community!

I have been working with the I Ching for about a year now and this is my first post here. I use both Wilhelm and Hilary books to help me with my interpretations.

I have decided to go back to school and am considering a few different options. Last night I decided to cast about them and see what would come up. The program that I am most interested in has the most perplexing answer....

My question was "How does my career life look after school if I choose the Saybrook Clinical Psychology program? 14.2.4.6 to 36

So, my career life will have great possession and I will have to keep my light hidden? The first hex. sounds like I will find work (and may have to move for it) - 14.2, my income and education will increase (and therefore my outer and inner possessions as well) though with student loan debt I will probably not have as much left over as others in the field. This could lead me to envy those around me who will seem to have more. However, if I stay true to my real reason for going into this field I can avoid this error - 14.4 (Wilhelm). Following this path is blessed by heaven and though it may not look like how I intended it to look it is still in accordance with the natural order of things - 14.6.

There is a line from Hilary's book for hex. 36 "There is no need to let the full glare of your insight shine forth all the time, or to force your understanding on those who might no want it." When I connect this with hex. 14 it adds the layer "My career will be awesome and it will be good to keep from forcing my new psychological knowledge on those around me who are not asking for it".

Is there something more to this that I am missing? I am trying to put a more positive spin on 36 which doesn't sound very positive to me. At first I took it to mean that I would have success but that I wouldn't be "myself" in the process, having to darken who I really am to be successful in the profession. That is no bueno.

My other questions were:
"How does my career life look after school if I choose the MA counseling program @ Antioch?"
13 unchanging

This seems like an all around positive choice. It sounds like I will be working with like minded people from all walks of life.

and

"How does my career life look after school if I choose the MA art therapy program @ Antioch?"
53.1 to 37

this one is a bit tricky for me as well. It seems like I will have slow progress creating a new career and at first I will be vulnerable. Family will play a part in it, maybe being the support I need until I am stable enough on my own? I will be living with my mom, grandma and my small son while I go to school so maybe this dynamic will last a bit longer while I get established after school.

So, what do you all think? Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks!

:)

Last edited:
S

sooo

So, what do you all think?

Hi Gwen,

I think these are wonderful affirmations and acknowledgment that you have the right stuff to pursue any of these interests inquired about, and I'm glad that you've included conditions necessary to achieve them. There are no guarantees in life, even with positive affirmations from the IC. Perhaps that is the 36 of the matter. All these talents and potentials are latent, unseen until they are fulfilled. Also 36 can be interpreted as both a cloaking device and an institutional protection of your potentials. "Don't let the uncertainty turn you around (The world keeps turning around and around). Go on and make a joyful sound." - Jackson Browne

As to which course to pursue, I think the message here is to follow your bliss. One may offer more money, one may offer you more fellowship, more collective culture, more peers. One may offer you all of this. But if you do what gives you happiness, you really can't go wrong. Another possibility for 36 is to seek inner riches rather than outer glitz. From here, your future looks plenty bright.

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
Hi there,

Art therapy is what I plan to pursue :) so your 53.1 makes lot of sense, as it it a direction that it's not that easy. Almost everybody I share my thoughs has warn me for the difficulties. So perhaps that line highlights that, or refers to recent changes in the credentials and prerequisites , as art therapy enters in the family of some brorders association. perhaps you already know that, and the reading , imo, it doesn't seems negative at all, but simply states the facts.

S

sooo

Hi there,

Art therapy is what I plan to pursue :) so your 53.1 makes lot of sense, as it it a direction that it's not that easy. Almost everybody I share my thoughs has warn me for the difficulties. So perhaps that line highlights that, or refers to recent changes in the credentials and prerequisites , as art therapy enters in the family of some brorders association. perhaps you already know that, and the reading , imo, it doesn't seems negative at all, but simply states the facts.

I almost referred Gwen to you because of this similar interest, but thought soon enough you would offer your thoughts. I like your view of 53.1 on this.

Mere de la Mer

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
There are quite a lot of considerations for the right program and path to pursue, that's for sure. Thank you for your insight. I agree that 53.1 does seem to be just pointing to some of the difficulties I may face in the beginning but doesn't feel negative overall. I think my real confusion is in 14>36. When 14 sounds so positive it's hard to understand where or why there would be brightness hidden...still pondering but all answers seem to point in an overall positive direction :)

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
I lost my responce I tried to post yesterday. Perhaps 14 is what will help you during 36 times. Now, if we look for something "negative", could be that the specific Uni, might not be the best fit , like it follows a different perspective as the ones you prefer or the various costs and debt upon finishing your masters and till your investment start to give profits.... but really can't see anything negative...but , I guess I'm a little bit biased ;)

Best of luck wit that and Happy New Year !

Mere de la Mer

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I just noticed this response. Thank you Anemos for your perspective. The idea of wounding, and hiding my light in hex. 36 are the parts that I don't quite understand. I think it would be good to sit with that hexagram a bit more. :)

Mere de la Mer

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I would add a brief update because they are oh-so-nice (and too infrequent!)

I applied and was accepted to the 14>36 school. It was the program I was most excited about so I decided to go for it. I'm only in my first semester so I'll be in the program for the next 5 years. The thing that I wanted to add to this post is a slightly new take on hex.36.

A couple of months ago I read a blogpost of Hilary's talking about interpreting the relating hexagram. I don't have the link anymore though otherwise I would include it. My take away was that the relating hexagram can represent where I am currently in relation to the question asked. I can't really articulate how I viewed the relating hex before because I really wasn't sure what it's purpose was. Thank you Hilary for your wonderful insight.

So, to apply this insight retroactively to my reading: At the time I asked the question I was in a wounded place. My life had taken a rather unexpected turn and suddenly I was getting a divorce. Choosing to go back to school was one way I could work towards putting the pieces back together for me and my son. Looking back it feels pretty 36ish.

Another aspect that I wouldn't have known as clearly as I do now is that the intensity of this program will mean almost no time for all the stuff I consider "me"...hobbies and such. So in this way I can see an element of my brightness being hidden as I tow the line to get through school. Since it is a psychology program, I believe there will be quite a bit of self-reflection and wading through my own darkness at times, as I learn to guide others through theirs.

That's all I have for now~
Cheers!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).