...life can be translucent

Menu

An Idea for the Resonance Journal

themulberrytree

visitor
Reaction score
One thing I wanted from the Resonance Journal was cross-posting for synchronicity. For instance, instead of just labeling the post as "synchronicity", allow to label as "synchronicity -- dreams & the I Ching" or "synchronicity -- dreams, the I Ching, and general journal entry." I'd like to be able to sort by just what is synchronous, would make it easier. And now that I think about it, easier to find what themes come up most and therefore are most important or easiest to work with.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure I quite understand what you're looking for. Something's either a dream or a reading or a general entry; it can't be more than one of those at once. What am I missing?

'Synchronicity' as an entry type is meant for specific experiences of synchronicity - you know, like an omen - an animal encounter, an overheard snatch of conversation that's unexpectedly meaningful, that kind of thing. I suppose you could say that all readings are also synchronicities, but that's sort of implied...

...by which time it should be abundantly clear that I don't know what you mean! Could you explain with an example of an entry that would be "synchronicity -- dreams, the I Ching, and general journal entry"?

themulberrytree

visitor
Reaction score
Like, if I have a dream about a marrying maiden, see in real life a wedding, and then receive Hexagram 54, all in the course of a week.
That's a bit of an exaggeration, but just to illustrate a picture. So that would be a synchronicity between three different parts of life: dreams, real life (general journal entry), and a hexagram. Although, from what I understand of what you're saying, we have different understandings of the word 'synchronicity'. You mean it to express unexpected important things that relate to you, personally, and I mean it to describe shared themes between things.

themulberrytree

visitor
Reaction score
I once had a dream where I received a reading -- the Family. And I wanted to put it under dreams because that's where it belonged, but I also wanted to be able to label it as a reading, because while it happened in my dream, it is a reading. And a pretty cool one at that. That's what prompted this question.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
For shared themes, I'd use tags. That's the way to follow a theme between all different kinds of experience. Tag all those entries 'marriage' and they'll all be listed in its 'tag info' box. For a reading in a dream, I'd tag the dream with the hexagram. The program automatically applies hexagram tags to readings, but you can apply them to any kind of entry.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
For a reading in a dream, I'd tag the dream with the hexagram. The program automatically applies hexagram tags to readings, but you can apply them to any kind of entry.

Hilary, is that how you handle it when you do a reading about a dream, like some of your examples from the Enliven course? Or have you used internal links to connect the two? Or subentries, maybe? Some combination of tags, links, and subentries?

I haven't had anything like that to record yet - either the kind of thing Mulberry mentioned, or casting a reading specifically about a dream, so I haven't tried anything out...

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
A reading about a dream is still a reading, so the hexagram tag is applied automatically. To link it with the specific dream, I'd use an internal link (though come to think of it, that would be an obvious moment to use a sub-entry, wouldn't it?). And also come to think of it, it might be a good idea to have a single tag I use to identify readings-about-dreams... or that might not be necessary, as they shouldn't be hard to find with advanced search...

alan_sp

visitor
Reaction score
Talking about subentries, now they have not visible link with main entry. I mean, they have it in the name, but maybe it would be best if they are visually linked under main entry, even if they do get created on later date.

Something like you can see when looking in explorer your hard drive and look at directories. Subdirectories are under main directory, even if they get created much later.

In essence, I think it would be better to have structure of entries to look more like directory structure, without denoting subentries by name. In that way we also could have subentry of subentry.

Maybe it would require different database structure? But I think this could be more efficient way to track different complex entries, which could call on each other. For example, you could have a dream, after that you could cast I Ching reading to know more about, few days later you can have synchronicity about all that... Anyway, that way (having directory structured entries) we could organize our data in more meaningful way.

What do you think about it?

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Alan,

If I understand what you mean (which I may not), I believe that is how Entry Tree is already displayed?

Here's an example screen clip from my journal - it looks like a directory/tree structure, with sub-entries and sub-sub-entries clearly visible.

16295309070_2875f5f88f_o.png

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
By the way, TheMulberryTree, did I answer your question OK - do you think tags will meet your needs?

alan_sp

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Alan,

If I understand what you mean (which I may not), I believe that is how Entry Tree is already displayed?

16295309070_2875f5f88f_o.png

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I don't know how I didn't noticed that. Maybe I'm spot blind. :( Well, if it is already there, it just means I need to look more carefully. I saw entry list and calendar view, but somehow didn't spotted entry tree.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The sort of thing TheMulberryTree is talking about just occurred for me, and a variant of Hilary's suggestion came to mind:

For shared themes, I'd use tags [...] Tag all those entries 'marriage' and they'll all be listed in its 'tag info' box.

I wonder if it might also be useful to create tags named the entry types. For example, create a tag called "dream," and attach it to readings about dreams. I can't offhand think of any other use for the tag "dream" (you can already get a plain list of your dreams in advanced search). But if you want a narrower list of only those readings which are about dreams, Tag Info for the tag "dream" would give it to you.

It could go either way - attach a "reading" tag to dream entries, and Tag Info will give you the list of only those dreams which have an accompanying reading (or, as TheMulberryTree mentioned, are about a reading or a hexagram).

One of the lovely things about Resonance Journal is it allows you to cover your bases as thoroughly as you want and have time for. So for the example of a reading in a dream, you could attach the "reading" tag to the dream entry, as well as tagging it with the hexagram number. That way you're sure to be reminded of it whenever it might be relevant (in Cast History for hexagram 54...in Tag Info for dreams with or about readings...under the general topic (tag) of "marriage"...).

You could still go the one step farther and also include ties to specific items (not just general categories) using internal links. So when TheMulberryTree opens her dream entry about the marrying maiden, she'd find links to the exact entries about the wedding and the hexagram 54 reading.

Something to play with, anyway (I've only done something like this once, today).

Oh - and for even more information-at-a-glance in lists, I've been using this suggestion from the "Tips and Tricks" thread, about prefixing titles with an entry type designation like D: for dreams. I like it! (I've been letting Yijing readings un-prefixed by default, since there are so many more of them - then the others stick out better.)

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).