...life can be translucent

Menu

"mandate" ?

canislulu

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I am interested in understanding more about the image that is translated as "mandate" in many English versions of Yi Ching.

Thanks in advance for comments.

:bows:

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Interesting point. Bradford Hatcher uses "mandate" twice:

The seasoned noble assumes the mandate,
Establishes domains and recognizes ruling families
Lesser people will not be used

Regrets pass
Stay confident
Change the mandate
Promising

Do other translators used "mandate" in other places?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandate_of_Heaven

Last edited:

canislulu

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Wikiwing uses "mandate" here:

‘The bulwarks fall back into the moat.
Don’t use the army.
From your own capital, declaring the mandate.
Constancy means shame.

And I believe Stephen Karcher uses "Receiving the Mandate" for Hexagram 55. (I cannot in this moment put my hands on his book as many of my books are currently in boxes.)

(Pocossin, thank you for the wikipedia link.)

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Yes, Wikiwing is Hilary's translation. The character in question is ming4 命. For 11.6, Hatcher has:

The city walls fall back into the moat
Do not advance the military
From within one's own district, explain the orders
To persist is disgraceful

I suspect context led to Hatcher's translation of ming4 as orders. Really, when the walls of one's city are falling back into the moat doesn't seem the opportune time to declare the mandate :)

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
There's plenty on the mandate in Hilary's new glossary, I think it's called 'language of change' but it is free when you download the new journal software here http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/journal/glossary.php I've got the idea you can get it all free for a month and get to keep the glossary whether you buy the software or not. I might be wrong though because there is nothing that confuses me more than 'special offers' and so on...I expect it is explained here somewhere http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/jour.../www.onlineclarity.co.uk/journal/glossary.php

Anyway I very much recommend her new glossary.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Ming is a complex word with several meanings even within the Zhouyi context. It should be translated according to its context, and not just mindlessly substituted with a single English word.
This is my Glossary entry:

ming4 命 4537 762a 30+5 06.4 (a, the) higher law, highest law, higher
order, higher purpose, calling, vocation, destiny, fate, lot in life, charge, fortune, oracle, life,
life’s course, span of life, one’s place in history, livelihood, mission, mandate, charter,
constitution, appointment, assignment, commission, order, pronouncement, directive,
command, law, decree, priority, investiture, higher power, higher authority; heaven's will;
name, denomination, designation, title; (to) name

canislulu

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Bradford, Thank you for drawing my attention to your Glossary which I found in part 6 of your second volume (Part Six: A Zhouyi and Yijing Glossary) in the link you provide with your signature. ...so much to explore!

:bows:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).