...life can be translucent

Menu

Having a child --> 44 unchanging

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Hi all,

My partner and I have begun to more seriously explore the idea of trying to have a child. Probably not this year, nor next year, but maybe the year after that. We're getting married this year. We've gravitated towards talking about it a lot, though not in a serious way.

I asked Yi for a picture of us having a child, and received 44 unchanging. At first I was very uneasy! (Would we produce a small tyrant?! Then again all small children are a little bit tyrannical...)

Then I searched Clarity and immediately found this old thread http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?7295-44-unchanging

Ginnie, you put my mind at ease with your words in it! And it's a bit uncanny. You wrote then:

"44 with no moving lines is very auspicious. It's the birth of a new era for you.

Hexagram 44 is very misunderstood, because it has to do with a strong woman, also called The Royal Bride. The original picture for this hexagram was an important woman giving birth."

Wow!

Ginnie, do you have the energy to elaborate any more on that? You also said "44 often means in practical terms Coming to Meet or Going to Meet, as when we get up and go someplace to do something or meet someone. Hexagram 44 means encounters of true significance in the outside world." Which does describe meeting a new person (a child).

Anyway, all of this just made me feel a bit better. It seems like a simple, pleasant, affirmative response from Yi.

Does anyone else have any thoughts?

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
44. uc could also be seen as describing the fact that at this point you are at the exploring the idea stage. The image for 44 is wind blowing about to "all the four quarters of heaven." So you are discussing the possibilities from all possible perspectives.

B

butterfly spider

Mulberry - Roaada is right in that 44 is suggesting ideas blowing to you and making you thoughtful. I think it gives you the opportunity to think and decide what it is you really want

I had hex 44 at times to do with children I had and had not yet had. Asking about having more children and my thoughts on the one child I had. I think it is putting out your intention - and I think that it is a good reading. I had this hexagram to so with breast feeding and I do think it has a nurturing quality .....

Xxx

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Ginnie, do you have the energy to elaborate any more on that?

Yes, here is some commentary from Alfred Huang on hexagram 44, Gou, Encountering:

"Gou is a character from remote antiquity, which appears at present only in the I Ching. According to the ancient dictionary of characters, Gou denotes a couple, especially a married couple. Later, it meant to pair or to copulate; it also meant good. The Great Treatise, one of the most important commentaries of the Ten Wings, says that Gou is to meet or to encounter. Traditionally it is understood as a meeting, an encounter between a male and a female....

"The ideograph of Gou is simple. It is composed of a woman and a queen. On the left is a buxom maiden. On the right side is the ideograph hou, a queen. Because a queen always follows the king, hou also means behind. The queen is standing upright and bowing. Underneath her bending body is an open mouth, kou, and above the mouth a horizontal stroke indicating the number one. This one person that the queen is encountering is the king. They meet and come together. The queen greets the king with respect and her best wishes."

The fact that one yin element is advancing and approaching five yang elements has led more than one translator or commentator to feel frightened that perhaps the woman is too strong, too aggressive. They suggest that the meetings designated by hexagram 44 must be highly charged, unexpected, or unusual in some way, as if they were temptations to be avoided or compulsions to be resisted. One really must remember that there are no "bad" or "evil" hexagrams in the I Ching. It may be true that there is more than an average amount of subjective feeling connected with hexagram 44, a heightening of feelings in fact, and there can be a warning attached about going too far with something. In its unchanging form, however, hexagram 44 is said to be very auspicious, with no warning attached.

Best wishes, Mulberry! :)

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Hmmm…I don't see this as particularly auspicious or inauspicious but rather as merely a snapshot of where you are at the moment in your journey to conception and childbirth.

44. Right now you are considering all the ramifications.

However, because the hex is unchanging if I absolutely had to vote as to whether this is an auspicious or an inauspicious omen I'd have to say I read this as inauspicious as no change lines imply the situation doesn't change, that is, you are forever blowing this about, you never stop discussing, you never come to a decision and take action.

On the other hand, 44 does have the feeling that if you just let nature take it's course without making a conscious choice, the chances are you will become pregnant. Sort of a not-to-decide is to decide circumstance.

So I don't think 44. is saying it would be good or bad to become pregnant at this time, more like it's saying Talk it over but meanwhile be sure to use protection. The unconscious instinctive desire to procreate is powerful.

Last edited:

canislulu

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking of "auspicious" not so much in terms of advise to "go for it", but more in terms of being an answer that looks like am image of "pregnancy" and therefore affirming that mulberry will be able to have a child. Yi didn't say something like H12 or H33.

The 5th line of 44 is one of my favorite pieces of Yi poetry, esp. - "It comes falling from its source in heaven.’" And I like Wikiwing's comment on this line:

" Stephen Karcher[3] suggests this is the moment when the strong woman, the new queen, completes her journey and meets the king. The imagery certainly implies conception and pregnancy. "

I think perhaps Yi answered with 44 unchanging as a way of giving a simple and direct response to mulberry's question which was "for a picture of us having a child." "Affirmative" may be a more precise word than "auspicious". (The fact that the couple wants a child would make "affirmative" "auspicious".)

Mulberry already articulated my feelings about it in her first post, i.e.,
It seems like a simple, pleasant, affirmative response from Yi.

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Thought I should update this thread—this year we had a baby! Conception was easy, pregnancy was very scary (many complications, though ultimately nothing bad happened), birth was fairly easy, and she is wonderful. :) Thanks again, all.

Olga Super Star

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations!

When I was reading the thread I first thought to myself, Mmh.. 44 unchanging is no good..

But there you are
So Yi stays mysterious, with 44 unchanging often meaning Get back from the idea and other times just that

Happy motherhood!

Olga Super Star

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I know it’s not my thread but I casted a similar question yesterday and had 44 UN.
I didn’t remember this thread but as soon as I read “the woman gives birth to her heir” I started! Then I came across this thread and was pleased to see it played out well for Mulberry.

I’m pretty much past 40 and still single, yet I am curious to see how it will play out.

It would be interesting to compare the two readings.

I actually asked a play-the-witch question, asking if I will ever have a child.
We’ll see.
Will update in three years, which is considered the limit age for conceiving naturally ;)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).