...life can be translucent

Menu

Job or Business?

Hujambo

visitor
Reaction score
Hi all,
It's been a while since I've posted a question but I am here every day working on my understanding of the I Ching by reading lots of posts and trying to rely on my own interpretations where possible. Mostly it's been going really well. Today I am back at extreme beginner status and have fallen into the trap of multiple confusing castings.

Hopefully without going into too much detail there is a job that I have been pursuing for a couple of years (job X) which is expected to be announced this Friday, at which point I can formally apply. In the meantime I have been continuously applying for hundreds of other jobs over the past six months and getting nowhere (1 fantastic and insightful interview, but the job disappeared before the interview happened, 3 phone calls, a dozen rejections, the rest I received no response at all).

Over the past month I have been putting together a service offering for my business (service Z). I had previously given up on ever being successful in my own business, but with no money coming in and the structure still in place, it seemed sensible to see if I could increase my opportunities for income.

I already have one order, but it's another business seeking to whitelabel my service and they are trying to get my service for 20% of the quoted fee. There does not seem to be a comparable service easily available to them. The order is from a frenemy seemingly trying to take further advantage of my dire need for cash, he has moved the goalposts and the price a few times since we agreed on the order and he expects to make 300% profit on any work I do, so I don't see that as a viable avenue for revenue. It wouldn't even pay half a week's rent, yet it is half a week's work.

This same person already has me writing business proposals on behalf of his business for zero dollars unless he wins the account (supposed to be a joint venture). Quite an issue for me because it turns out that he is not a closer. My original offer was to show him how to write a document that does most of the work and secondly to project manage because he has no time. Big mistake after all the yelling / bullying that has ensued. The client is delighted with what I presented and they are a bee's pecker away from signing. I think this has surprised my friend. Perhaps he was unaware/disbelieving of my competencies. Yes our agreement is all in writing, but he keeps trying to change it and now has cut off all communication about the status of the deal and prevented any interaction with the client. I'm sick of all the lies and about-faces.

The timing of that job coming up, right when all the crazy business shenanigans started occurring...

What if I pursue opportunity X?
44:2,4,6 > 39 Coming to meet an obstruction.
Seems impossibly difficult, yet I can kind of identify with the description of the maiden as myself. If the maiden is the job, then it looks like I have no chance. I should delve further into this reading but every time I try to, it makes me cry. Perhaps it's all those fish in the tank. I think I need help interpreting it.

COMING TO MEET.
The maiden is powerful.
One should not marry such a maiden.

44:2 There is a fish in the tank. No blame.
Does not further guests.

44:4 No fish in the tank.
This leads to misfortune.

44:6 He comes to meet with his horns.
Humiliation. No blame.

OBSTRUCTION. The southwest furthers.
The northeast does not further.
It furthers one to see the great man.
Perseverance brings good fortune.

Eventually, though I prefer not to repeat my questions, I laid out the two options on the horizon without any properly formed question. Previously (before the job became a possibility) I had what I thought were very encouraging readings regarding Service Z.

Service Z
47 Unchanging
Oppression. Success. Perseverance. The great man brings about good fortune, no blame. When one has something to say it is not believed.

Exhaustion - this makes sense because I am exhausted and am a fair way from completion of the service offering before I find myself in the middle of arguing about it, for goodness' sake! That said, I don't see this hex as entirely discouraging, ie. success, perseverance, etc.

Job X
41:1,5 > 59
DECREASING
There is truth and confidence.
From the source, good fortune.
Not a mistake, there can be constancy.
Fruitful to have a direction to go.
How to use this?
Two simple baskets may be used for the offering.

41:1 Bringing your own business to an end, going swiftly – not a mistake.
Considering decreasing it.

41:5 Maybe increased by ten paired tortoise shells,
Nothing is capable of going against this.
From the source, good fortune.

DISPERSING
Dispersing, creating success.
The king assumes his temple.
Fruitful to cross the great river,
Constancy bears fruit.

I like those tortoise shells, I've never received that line before, but in Hilary's translation it is written as a "maybe" that nothing is capable of going against (?), very confusing. Also decreasing is the right energy for this role for a number of reasons. Dispersing, well I would like to dissolve all this tension, all the rigidity, etc. So far it ain't working.

If anyone can help me to make sense of these I would appreciate it. In particular Hex 44 reading followed by Hex 41 reading for the same job.

Thank you:)

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
X? 44.2 → 33.4 → 53.6 → 39

44.2 → 33 (Retreating), Legge:
Shows its subject with a wallet of fish. There will be no error.
But it will not be well to let (the subject of the first line) go forward to the guests.*

33.4 → 53 (Gradual Development), Crowley: Maugre their will, the great have wit to retire.

53.6 → 39 (Obstacles), Daniels: Through your achievements you set a fine example.

I think the job will be temporary (wallet full of fish and then empty). Maybe there will be a couple of projects to do and then you quit (33.4), or inspiration vanishes (44.4, no fish) or something else goes away.

53.6 The work is finished and you go your own way towards something better.
44.6 also refers to going your own way, even against the wishes of others.

X? 41.1 → 4.5 → 59

41.1 → 4 (Immaturity), Crowley:
Leave business to help friends, but yet be wary!

4.5 → 59 (Dispersing), Legge:
Shows its subject as a simple lad without experience.
There will be good fortune.

Well again, you put your business in a paused state and go help others. But for a limited time, or with restraint. It will be a good experience (4.5), you will get the cash (10 pairs of shells) but that's it.

Z? 47
External oppression, the circumstances are not favorable.

Wilhelm:
Thus the superior man stakes his life on following his will.

When the water has flowed out below, the lake must dry up and become exhausted. That is fate.
This symbolizes an adverse fate in human life. In such times there is nothing a man can do but acquiesce in his fate and remain true to himself.

Maybe in future there will be some opportunities for growth, there is an advice to persevere and continue with your own business, but not now.

I think after job X you will arrive into new circumstances (59), with new opportunities to pursue.

Hujambo

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you so much, Ash. Apologies it took me so long to respond. It's becoming clearer to me now.

I received another 44:2.4 reading yesterday in regards to ironing out the situation with that business colleague, and that, combined with the initial reading regarding the job, indicates to me that there is nothing in the immediate environment that will have lasting value to me, apart from the learning I am able to accumulate from the experience.

The job did not become available on Friday as expected, so I still can't apply for it yet. Interesting that the previous incumbent is retiring (early) and has also tried to seek a payout greater than that what he is entitled to. It will also be interesting to note whether I get a chance to apply or the job simply disappears. I'll update on that when I have an outcome.

At this point, I have arrived at the idea that hex 44 is about the kind of forces/energy that I would do well to steer clear of where possible, mainly because it doesn't really match with who I am or what I want to experience. Some obstacles are better to circumnavigate than try and overcome. Thus I will keep focussing my energies on looking for a job, whilst continuing to work on my business to get it ready to respond to any future opportunities.

It did, for a short time, feel like things were moving in a more positive direction, but it's obvious I am still in the shark pool surrounded by a bunch of people who keep me near in the expectation that they can profit from my efforts. My friends are my (spirit) teachers not my comrades or family. This is the part of life that I wouldn't accept. I prefer to see the best in people and I do not wish to become paranoid/fearful of others as I have sometimes been in the past.

Putting this understanding into practice is the next challenge. I feel as though I need to keep my natural generosity in check when it comes to working with others so as not to invite greed and shame into my home. Maybe one day I will find a situation where it is appropriate to bring to the world what I have inside, but now is not that time, no matter how much I wish it was.

Hujambo

visitor
Reaction score
It's not called the book of changes for nothing!

This is where I'm at with my Hex 44 experience after much research and contemplation. I post this in the hope it helps spark ideas for anyone who might come across this thread in the future. It's much easier to demonstrate my understanding with the last hex 44 reading I did on the 24th.

How can I resolve this situation with my colleague?
44:2,4 - 53

Meeting a powerful (unexpected) force that disrupts one's plans. It is likely to be underestimated - on the surface it seems like a minor disruption. However the problem remains insoluble until a real internal change is made. Kind of like it creeps up on you and forces you to a point where you either learn something or lose something. In this case, the situation seemed entirely unfair. I had a clue that things weren't so cut and dried as they appeared by the simple fact that it was causing an emotional response where none was truly necessary/useful. So I couldn't leave it alone, I kept trying all the different ways I could be flexible until we reached the point where he was refusing to speak to me and threatening to end the friendship, which then lead me to consider that the friendship probably wasn't worth keeping.

What I was struggling with was how to communicate to my friend that I wanted to forgive him and was willing to work with him to open up a path to resolution without blame. The obstacle was that we couldn't agree on the premise because we were no longer operating in the realm of facts. Again, the clue to this is how emotionally charged our interactions became. Also, it turns out that people get offended if you offer forgiveness when they have decided that you are one that did something wrong. Accepting that I was solely responsible for the disagreement was just too far from reality for me.

This is how I broke the impasse.

Yesterday, I discussed the situation with someone who was wise and kind enough to let me relate the story without judgement. This gave me space to return to the facts - what happened, how I felt about it, etc. It also enabled me to see exactly at what point I became emotional, or where I departed from the real and the possible and joined the other person in fantasy land. I had never before so clearly understood that sooner or later this is my go-to response to being pushed around. I try to accept their reality as mine. As anyone can imagine, this is unworkable. It doesn't stop the yelling for one, plus it's a serious obstacle to a peaceful life.

So rather than attempting to gain agreement about the cause and events of the issue, I wrote him an email where I proposed we simply draw a line and move on from whatever either of us might have said, leaving it all in the past. I briefly outlined the pro's and con's of working together as opposed to working at odds with one another. I highlighted the kind of successes we have been able to achieve so far, how I preferred to build on that and suggested that we meet to clear the air.

I received a brief response today stating that he agreed with everything I wrote and that he wanted to meet when he returns to town. He signed off with "much respect" and I know the worst of it is over, we both now have room to breathe.

I have never before been so open and clear in my communication to someone that had caused me emotional pain. However I have indeed managed to get myself bullied and harrassed for most of my life. Thus for me, hex 44 is a powerful force that creates an opportunity for real change. There is definitely no need to even consider marriage, better to consider a holiday after going through a hex 44 experience!

Hex 44 initially came up about the job I want to apply for. There are all kinds of similarities between the issue with my friend and the circumstances around applying for that job that I won't go into, except to point out that I've been wanting it for 2 years, and even today despite all indications and promises to the contrary, I still cannot apply because it is not yet officially available. Ashteroid's interpretation of that initial 44 reading very much helped me to accept that it's not a long-term option for me anyway. This new understanding of Hex 44 helps me to understand why I was so hung up on it for so long, ie. there was a damn fine life-lesson to be learned from the situation. A lesson that gave me access to my own power, which is an essential pre-condition to a successful career, I'd say.

Don't ask me exactly what the individual lines in Hex 44 mean yet, my head is full. Of course, if anyone has further insight or perhaps a refinement or correction, I would be very interested and grateful.

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
Forgetting the past and starting with a clean sheet is a good idea.
Strangely but it reminds me of a 'check-engine' problem with my car, especially with Wilhelm's text.
What's happening with my car? 44.2.4
44.2 → 33: There is a fish in the tank. No blame.
Does not further guests.

44.4 → 57: No fish in the tank.
This leads to misfortune.

As you probably have guessed the culprit was fuel tank! More precisely the bad(not compatible?) fuel.
I've stopped at some gas station I've never used before I think, yes yes I remember now.
And then the problems started. Occasionally the CE light will come up, and on-board computer says - limited power output, service required. After restarting the engine all returned to normal until the next time.

As soon as I've used all that fuel and came back to my usual gas station the problem went away.

.2 bad stuff
.4 flush it

Hujambo

visitor
Reaction score
Love it! That's a good example which makes it easier for me to remember.

It also reminds me of how Cleary talks about mindfulness with these two lines:
.2 preventing mundanity before it acts up (knowing it's arrived on the scene)
.4 suffering damage through not knowing how to prevent negative mundanity

In this case I relate losing mindfulness or falling into mundanity to being overly emotional. Offering to forget the past seems to have restored this guy's capacity for rational responses. Obviously I had to follow a similar path before I could even write the email.

Very much appreciated, thank you Ashteroid :bows:

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Ashteroid, I love that 44.2.4 example about your gas tank. "Bad fish...get rid of the fish." :D

An experience of my own: I thought I had a certain flavor of cat food on hand, but couldn't find it until I remembered the usual cupboard was full and I'd had to store some of it elsewhere. "Fish" in one spot; "no fish" in the other spot.

I thought a generalization when getting those two lines together (changing to 53, Gradual Progress) might be, "something which appears to be one way but is really a different way, and in time (53) it will clear up"? That seems to fit perfectly with your job X, which you thought was finally available but then wasn't. Hopefully in time you'll be able to actually apply. (But - I don't know what 44.6 means.)

Your other 44.2.4 > 53 example, about clearing the air with your colleague:

I wrote him an email where I proposed we simply draw a line and move on from whatever either of us might have said, leaving it all in the past. I briefly outlined the pro's and con's of working together as opposed to working at odds with one another. I highlighted the kind of successes we have been able to achieve so far, how I preferred to build on that and suggested that we meet to clear the air.

As a reading, how splendid! :) 44.2.4 suggesting you draw a clear line, as you said, between options: "If we work together this way, we'll have fish. But if we work together that way, we'll have no fish."

Hujambo

visitor
Reaction score
What flavour cat food - fish?

Hey Ashteroid, you might be interested to know that bad fuel can contaminate the oxygen filters in your car which then affects the ECU (on board computer) because the sensors are reporting out-of-range results. Yeah, unhandled errors end up in the "check engine" bucket. In that circumstance, if the check engine light was intermittent it would likely be an emission control warning (the oxygen sensors are giving me data I don't know what to do with). If it stayed on all the time, it's a serious issue (eg. go see a mechanic now) as though raw fuel was pouring out of the car or something equally disastrous relating to emissions. I mention this because you're also a techie :)

Hey Lisa, that's another awesome example with the cat food, thanks!! It's there but it's no use to the cat at this stage because it isn't found, but you'll figure it out eventually. Ash has fuel in the tank, but it's dirty and messing with the oxygen sensors. Eventually the problem will go away after the tank is emptied and it is refilled with the good stuff.

Both of the examples bring to mind the effects of a seemingly innocuous deviation from the norm that happened prior to the situation that is now the subject of the reading. All is not what it seems. Don't marry/get hung up on your preconceptions or belief about the situation so the issue can be resolved. I think I am just repeating what you said, Lisa, using different words. ;)

Now I'm thinking that 44.6 might be about the timeliness of corrective actions. Lise talks about assertiveness, Cleary talks about tardiness, etc. In the back of my mind, I keep wondering if I will miss the boat on Job X.

The person who is giving me the info about Job X seems to have certain ideas on the way I should go about applying. All with the best of intentions, but not enough experience to understand how decisions are generally made regarding senior personnel. For the sake of peace, I have settled for waiting until he feels there is no risk on his part. I would rather have already thrown my hat in the ring because I am almost sure the organisation would have some kind of plan that he is unaware of. The previous incumbent leaves tomorrow, yet that person serves a critical function and he gave notice a couple of weeks back. It's hard for me to imagine they will choose to leave the post unmanned for too long, but they haven't yet advertised the position. I see the same pattern in my responses that I mentioned above - it's a situation I have experience with, but I have settled for operating at my friend's level of understanding, potentially to my own detriment.

And just for the fun of coincidences... the job is in the automotive industry! I intend to update this thread when we have some kind of outcome. In the meantime, my sincere thanks to both of you, for turning an uncomfortable learning experience into a delightful journey of discovery. :bows:

Last edited:

Hujambo

visitor
Reaction score
After reading back over my interpretation of 44.6 - I queried about Job X again

21:6 - 51
Not listening to answers already given

What am I not hearing?
62:5 - 31
Great! Another way of saying I'm being as thick as two bricks about this...

After this reading, I called an agency about another job and their feedback (for the 2nd time in 2 weeks) was that I was far too qualified for the position I was applying for, "you should be an IT Director, it would frighten the manager if I sent your CV through" were his actual words. LOL! I know but I'm gonna die of starvation if I don't get a job soon. Repeated messages.

This gave me the idea/confidence to have another go at getting an opportunity with Job X (CIO role). So I spoke with my friend about my concerns of not already having my hat in the ring (for the 3rd time). He has finally agreed to have a quiet, casual word with the GM about my availability, instead of waiting for some announcement that may never come.

Background to why I did that: Earlier in the year I passed on some valuable advice on how to navigate through a sticky situation involving the person who is now leaving. It got the GM out of the firing line and the failing project back under control - he was very grateful at the time. No payment, just that they might consider me should the position become vacant. The last part of the message did not make it to the GM at the time.

To my resistant friend I changed my approach. I highlighted the positives of appointing someone in the position who had already demonstrated alignment with their objectives and had enough skills/experience/energy/interest to clean up the mess this guy is leaving behind. Why wouldn't you make your GM aware of such possibilities?

So another reading to see if anything has shifted - as one does when dancing with obsession...

Will I get Job X?
35:2,3 - 50

I'm thinking that's a bit more hopeful...?
Also thinking I should probably drop this line of enquiry before I start heading backwards. I don't know whether this is persistence, perseverance or sadomasochism.

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
About the fuel, yes I think some sensors were definitely reporting values at the edge of the normal range.
My friend's Opel was fine with that petrol, but my volvo(really just a ford inside) didn't like it. Performance was the same, I didn't notice any changes.

X? 21.6 → 51. Not hearing yes, but also can be - allowing yourself to be restrained further and further.

Not hearing what? 62.5
Go small, it's easier to shoot something in a cave than in open field.
High expectations and meager result.

Will I get Job X? 35.2.3 → 50
Looks good, a feudal prince trying to win the respect of a King [35].
.2 Slowly the aim is achieved, GrandMother [GM] sees you and grants you horses/army.
.3 Trust by all, friends and managers I guess.

Finally the game is being cooked[50] after a successful hunt/battle.

Hidden 64.3 → 50 (Containing), Legge:
Shows its subject, with (the state of things) not yet remedied, advancing on; which will lead to evil.
But there will be advantage in (trying to) cross the great stream.

Be more patient (resonates with 35.2 and in a way with 62.5).

Still I have a feeling that this job isn't quite appropriate, not a perfect fit for you. With 21.6 and 44.4/44.6 and 62.5. But'll see!

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Another thing I thought my 44.2.4 example was telling me (the cat food one) was the need to "couple with" the situation (hexagram 44). It would have been very easy for me to look in the usual cupboard, find none, shrug, and go buy more. Instead I paid attention to the nagging feeling that I had some - engaged with it - and then remembered where else to look.

What you said about deciding not to just go along with your contact's wishes about you showing interest in job X, but to be more proactive about it, is exactly along those lines. So 44 can mean "do not marry," but in other cases the opposite.

I believe there's more discussion about that side of 44 in the unchanging thread.

I agree 35.2.3 > 50 sounds generally encouraging, but it's hard to tell if it means you'll literally get this job, or just that things are moving in a more positive direction overall.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if the 35.2.3 > 50 reading might also be advice on how to give yourself the best chance - how to "transform" the situation (hexagram 50), rather than merely a yes or no. You might think some more about how the "ancestral mother" and the "fine armour" imagery could apply.

I'm never sure how to interpret that line. Armour is protective, but I suspect it would also be hot, heavy, uncomfortable, tiring to wear...

The "ancestral mother" - who might that be? Hilary mentions grandmother or queen. I doubt it necessarily has to be a woman, just someone who fits that sort of role. Could it be the GM? The person who's leaving, who would be your "ancestor" in the job should you get it? Someone else?

A queen might be the ruler herself, or she could be the partner of the king (that is, a powerful advisor, but not the actual decision maker). A grandmother might be seen as the head of the family (think iconic matriarchs) or more as her husband's wife, deriving her power from his. (Again, here in the 21st century, there may not be a strict male/femaie divide, just different roles and ways of having influence.)

Good luck!

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
One other thing that sometimes happens in readings (it sometimes seems there's an endless list) is Yi can do funny things with tenses, past, present, future.

Quoting Hilary's book:

'Now advancing, now apprehensive.
Constancy, good fortune.
Accepting fine armour,
Blessing from your ancestral mother.'

'All have confidence.
Regrets vanish.'

It might be that the protective-yet-burdensome armour is not something that will happen, but something that has happened, maybe the work you did for free (which might fit with the "ancestral" part)? That might lead to people having confidence in you now (35.3)?

I don't know that, of course. Just more speculation.

Hujambo

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks very much to both of you, once again.

Ash, I agree the role is not a perfect fit - I did a reading for that sometime around the 20th of this month. 46:2.6 - 52 and interpreted it as, probably not.

I also agree with you Lisa, couple with but do not marry. In all my 44 readings I have started from a position of distance from the situation - keeping things at arm's length. Thanks for the link, much appreciated. I had seen it before, but reviewing it again gives further insight.

35.2.3 > 50 is a more encouraging reading, but I am not under any illusion that it means I will get the job. I did the extra reading to see if I had shifted anything along from the 44 reading. And it was nice to see something a little more hopeful.

The person who is leaving is a gay guy, hehe! How's that for a queen? I can't even find reference to fine armour, so I am going to have to search down a translation that describes that imagery and see how it resonates. Once I stop laughing about the queen, that is :rofl:

Hujambo

visitor
Reaction score
I see you have posted Hilary's translation for me, thank you.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm thinking now that .2 and .3 are likely relating to my inner self being positioned in the lower trigram. I don't always think about it like that but I am of that mind right now. Now advancing, now apprehensive is a good description of how I've been experiencing my efforts to get the job and the reading itself.

The work I did for free had an incredibly positive effect on my confidence, which always changes the way I am perceived by others. Then earlier today I received great feedback from a recruitment agency about my skills and qualifications.

More importantly I have a dear friend, a very successful person who I refer to as the king (I got a 35UC reading about him when we reconnected). He helped me to figure out how to address the situation with the no-pay colleague. I sent him a text earlier this afternoon to thank him and let him know there had been a minor shift in the situation since taking his advice and his response was "Great! Stand your ground" He is the only person I know who believes in my capabilities and loves me for who I am without reservation. He is quite gentle, caring and protective towards me. I dreamed of him holding my hand last night through a long journey - I've only remembered the dream as I'm writing.

I'm thinking, he is the ancestress and he sort of handed me the armour that I need to go forth with confidence (belief). After I got the text, I resolved to be more proactive about getting the role, particularly with 44.6 unresolved in my mind. Plus... I was CIO for him a couple of years back and he will be a referee, should I get an interview.

So whatever outcome this reading refers to, it's a positive change. Perhaps not a perfect one, but I'll have to wait and see what shape things will take. It could even be another opportunity that comes up in the near future.

BTW, I received Hex 50 in almost every reading I did last year, so I am always glad to see it in a reading because it's a clear reference point for me, not that I could ever explain to anyone else what it means.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I know less than nothing about how to use trigrams in readings.

So glad some of the imagery rings bells with your situation (humorously or otherwise). If the man you think of as the king will be one of the people interviewing candidates - I want to say, "Bingo!", but let's not get carried away. (I once didn't get a job I had every reason in the world to get, and have been wary ever since.)

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
What a coincidence, just finished watching the movie.

Minions.2015_snapshot_01.18.23.jpg

Minions © 2015 UNIVERSAL STUDIOS

Lisa was right about the issue of who is this female in line 2: queen/wife/grandmother/ancestress ?
Legge's notes:
Literally the Text says 'the king's mother'.
... also tries to give the name a historical reference;--to Thâi-Kiang, the grandmother of king Wăn; Thâi-Zăn, his mother; or to Thâi-sze, his wife, and the mother of king Wû and the duke of Kâu, all famous in Chinese history, and celebrated in the Shih.
But 'king's father' and 'king's mother' are well-known Chinese appellations for 'grandfather' and 'grandmother.' This is the view given on the passage, by Khăng-žze, Kû Hsî, and the Khang-hsî editors, the latter of whom, indeed, account for the use of the name, instead of 'deceased mother,' which we find in hexagram 62, by the regulations observed in the ancestral temple.

The 'New Digest of Comments on the Yî (1686),' in its paraphrase of the line, has, 'He receives at last this great blessing from the mild and compliant ruler.'
I am not sure that 'motherly king' would not be the best and fairest translation of the phrase.

Last edited:

Hujambo

visitor
Reaction score
New day, fresh eyes. I don't know what movie that is but I like the image :)

There's a very senior person at the organisation (perhaps more senior than the GM). I went for an interview there a couple of years ago for a short-term contract as a Business Analyst, a role that was intended to be the magic pill that fixed all their IT woes and resolve the disconnect between IT and the rest of the organisation. This woman and the now-outgoing CIO interviewed me. She could be this grandmother. She really impressed me, intelligent/wise and kind. Through the grapevine I heard amazingly positive feedback about my interview performance. They gave the job to someone else who proved to be quite ineffectual and things got worse, not better. He's since been terminated. At the time the CIO was IT Manager.

They offered feedback a couple of weeks later during which the IT Manager told me that I wasn't technical enough. I was blown away because it's not true. I had to really be careful with my words during the interview so as not to highlight the gaps in his technical knowledge. But it was still blatantly obvious to everyone at the interview that I was overqualified for the position. From the way he handled that feedback session and the information I gleaned during the interview I could tell that the organisation was on track for even more difficulty.

At the time I made a bunch of surprisingly accurate predictions about upcoming events (only in casual, private discussions with my contact). Every one of the events I suggested have come true. The IT Manager/CIO appeared to me as quite a deceptive character who seeks power over others, thus I was glad I would not have to report to him. Sparks would have flown or at the least he would have felt insecure. That was when I decided I wanted to replace him when the time came, to help this organisation recover. They are mostly genuine people trying to work towards a common goal.

So to do this job would be kind of like a labour of love, aiming to bring in more positive results and maybe helping to heal some of the rifts. It's a public body, not a private business. For the last few years I have this strong feeling of being "called to serve" not only in my personal life but in a public way as well. Yi is helping me to refine my understanding of that imperative.

Grandmother/ancestress energy seems appropriate and is welcome in this situation, it may be a person, it may be more than one person. I'll have to wait and see who it is/what it means.

Ash, I have thought long and hard about 21.6, and I wonder if it also might refer to the fact that there is an investigation underway as to how the word got out that the CIO is leaving (even though he has been telling everyone and organising a party for himself, he must have also been instructed to keep quiet). The party is happening right now. My contact hasn't spoken to the GM as promised, and I am back at square one - no opportunity to apply. 62.5 Meagre results indeed. Still, I stepped into the situation and tried, 44.2.4.6 - 39

Again, I am so grateful to the two of you for helping me work through these readings. What will be will be. I have learned much and no longer feel a need to ponder the situation and "correct my orientation" in relation to it.

Hujambo

visitor
Reaction score
:eek: The person who's leaving has made what seems to be a ridiculous (financial) claim against the company requiring the use of lawyers to resolve - as well as not serving out his required notice period by scheduling annual leave to coincide with his resignation. All the readings about Job X make so much more sense in light of this info. "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" [falsetto]

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
Progress with sorrow.
Continuance in the way brings good fortune.

Hujambo

visitor
Reaction score
Update, I was unable to apply for the job. Finally found out on Monday that the organisation already made the decision to share the role between two existing employees. The only role they have available is an IT Admin Assistant which is suitable for a beginner/first job, it was indicated that my application wouldn't be well received as I have too much experience.

For me - what 44 > 39 means in relation to pursuing this opportunity - don't bother wasting your time, there is no way to join with the situation.

41.1.5 > 59 seemed to describe the scenario for the organisation rather than offering any particular advice, ie. it seems the overall direction for the organisation was to decrease and disperse the responsibilities of the person who left.

So no job AND no business

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
First there was a fish 44.2 (hope) then there was none 44.4, end of story return to your path 44.6.

The most confusing for me was 35.2.3, so promising.
But transitional 64.3 was more close to real answer. Unstable situation, wrong time.
Also 33.4 in the first casting was also more clear - return despite desire.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for updating...I'm really sorry this didn't work out. Am also thinking this is yet another story of "how not to interpret readings"... :(

Hujambo

visitor
Reaction score
I did one follow up cast.

How did I misinterpret the 35.2.3 - 50 reading?
Result: 32 UC
Duration, continuity, endurance, etc
Still pondering this result...

BTW, I notice that I've now reverted to using the I Ching as a learning aid, rather than as a divination tool. My intuition on the timing and approach to applying for that job, were indeed correct, but I deferred to my contact. On first mention of the possible opportunity my response was - how do you know they will replace him? and "They will be a little shocked and overwhelmed, I need to approach them immediately with some options before they decide it is too difficult to replace him." Essentially I could see only a tiny opening. Saying these things resulted in my contact/friend yelling at me to wait until he investigated the situation. Lose the trust of my friend or risk the possible job - essentially they were the choices that constrained my approach. That's when I started consulting the I Ching about it, because intuition and events didn't seem in alignment. Next time such a situation arises, I intend to go for losing the trust of the friend precisely because I've had bucket-loads of experience with the other option and none with the first.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
My intuition on the timing and approach to applying for that job, were indeed correct, but I deferred to my contact. On first mention of the possible opportunity my response was - how do you know they will replace him? and "They will be a little shocked and overwhelmed, I need to approach them immediately with some options before they decide it is too difficult to replace him." Essentially I could see only a tiny opening. Saying these things resulted in my contact/friend yelling at me to wait until he investigated the situation. Lose the trust of my friend or risk the possible job - essentially they were the choices that constrained my approach.

I hate to even speculate at this point, after making such a mess of this, but naybe somewhere in there is the 44.6 from the first reading?

Hujambo

visitor
Reaction score
Well spotted, Lisa! I'm reminded of the advice I once received, you're swimming in the shark pool - get out of the shark pool. You aren't meant for that environment.

I can't work there in a senior role if my friend thinks it's ok to yell at me and if he wants me to use his approach before mine. For goodness sake, put those horns down Jimmy, I told ya we don't need em to build this fence!

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Well, fortunately the line does end "Shame. Not a mistake." (from Hilary's book) "Shame" (humiliation) is better than "pitfall" or "misfortune," and "not a mistake" is self-explanatory.

There may have been "coupling with horns" in more than one area here. Your contact for yelling at you...you seeing the tiny opening and "attacking" it...

Hilary ends her commentary this way:

However, it is not wrong to use your horns. Grappling with this power and keeping control is probably the best you can do in the circumstances.

So both of you did the only thing you could reasonably do in a situation like that?

Maybe Yi was just being realistic? A question I had was - if Yi was going to describe the situation with 44.6 - that there would be "coupling with horns" which would be humiliating but "not a mistake" - why not just tell you not to bother at all? Why not just somehow say there's nothing here for you, no job, don't pursue it - something which said in some way, "nope"?

Maybe that's what the other two 44 lines were trying to do, as Ashteroid said above, but maybe Yi recognized that it could say "no" all it wanted, but with something so important at stake, would it be remotely sensible of you to listen? Here's a job you'd wanted for years, and it allegedly comes available, but you're not supposed to do anything about it because Yi said not to? Are any of us that confident in interpreting readings? Certainly I'm not.

Maybe if Yi had given you a really horrible line like 24.6, but 24.6 wouldn't have been accurate, either, since your overtures weren't a catastrophe.

However I don't know if Yi even works like that. Or does it say "no" when "no" is the answer, and if we don't believe it and pursue anyway, that's our problem? I have no idea.

No guesses about the 32.

Last edited:

Hujambo

visitor
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm not so sure I attacked the opening, I did nothing tangible except a few readings and asking my friend to put in a quiet word to his boss. What I wanted to do was send my CV through. All very gentle low risk actions, or so I thought before I got the outcomes I did.

When someone yells at me, I lose my connectedness to the world for a while, so it was incredibly valuable to later conduct an analysis and arrive at the "anatomy" of that particular path to powerlessness. I've got a bunch of them up my sleeve.

We are still friends, I hold no grudge, but he is more wholly defined to me now than he was prior to this situation and I must be careful not to attract him into situations that don't flow easily for him. Even though I said it negatively, that was what I meant by intending to lose the friend next time.

I might still have wanted to apply if I had received a more negative reading, but with perhaps an understanding there was little to no possibility. I am of the mind that at the time of the question, no decisions had been made yet. Instead, all these things/forces that we don't normally encounter all-together are coming to the same place at the same time and there might be fireworks.

What if I pursue Opportunity X? 39 Obstruction is the context, you cannot proceed in the manner you would like right now, retreat and consider how you will overcome the obstacle. 44 lines - Here are the 3 key events/things/forces that are acting upon this situation. Do not marry this woman, the power that initiates change will not be tamed or perhaps the outcome cannot be tied down due to the very nature of changes.

Hujambo

visitor
Reaction score
On further thought, you are right, Lisa. What I consider gentle may not be experienced as such by others. As a result of the reading, I was hesitant about putting more energy into it which might have resulted in bigger problems. So it worked it's magic on me long before I got any ideas about how to interpret it.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).