...life can be translucent

Menu

Will I get the job? 59.2.6 -> 8

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
I'm not usually one for yes/no questions, but I asked Yi point-blank if I would get a job that I applied for, and would very much like, and I received 59.2.6 -> 8 as a reply.

Background: the job is with an organization I already know well and have worked for on a freelance basis in the past. I would like the stability of not relying on freelancing anymore. I'm up against a number of well-qualified candidates, including several friends. I did get an interview so I know I'm in the running.

Previously asking about the job before getting the interview, I received 14.2 twice about what my chances were to get the job, which I took as being affirmative. And when I initially considered applying, a few weeks ago now, I received 59.3.4->44 about the outcome of actually working there (as in, would I like it). I took that latter reading to mean it would involve sacrifice and a reduction in my personal time, but all for the greater good.

I think this current reading is somewhat close to a "yes", because of the 8 as the background. Getting the job would dissolve many of my day-to-day stresses (while also adding new ones, but in the context of stability), which is clearly line 6. I'm not sure how to read line 2 in this context, though I think it is talking about security and working with people I really do have an inner connection with. I think I'm reading 59.2.6 more positively because of the earlier repeated 14.2.

Thoughts, anyone?

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
I also posted this reading because 59 is one of those hexagrams I have yet to have an "aha!" moment with. I always feel when I get it that I am missing something major, that it is saying something I can't quite see. I had this for a long time with 54, but now I understand 54 intuitively...same with 55 and 51, both of those used to also be confusion points. I feel like this experience, applying for this job, is a chance to get a better understanding of what Yi is saying with these repeated 59s...

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
It looks like the whole issue is on it's way to becoming something else. 59 is maybe hard to see because it shows the subject of the question losing definition as a distinct entity. 59 is wind over water, water evaporating into the air to be carried in the wind to fall elsewhere as rain. In the unchanging threads, as we recently noted in CC, there were no responses. I think there are now one or two but I think this in itself showed 59 is an especially hard one to look back on and say 'ah yes it meant that'.

59.2 for me is generally to do with finding a safe point in the process of dispersion. When you don't know where you are or what's going on 59.2 often calls you back to find support in what you do know. This is often tried and tested means of support for you.

59.6 asks you to get as far away from that which threatens to dissolve you and not look back ! I think Hilary's commentary on this line says some things are better off staying within boundaries and not dispersing. Our actual blood for example. In line 6 the time of it being good to dissolve and disperse boundaries has passed the point where it is still a good idea.

Hexagram 8 calls you to that which you belong with. My first impression is that this reading has to do with you staying safe in some way. I don't know if you can relate that to this question ? I mean I think something threatens to perhaps scatter your energies or your time too widely and you need some kind of secure point to adhere to. I don't know how directly this answer applies to your question as I don't know whether it's saying this job will serve as that secure point (59.2) that holds you together (hex 8) and that saves you from harm (59.6) OR if getting the job would itself be the thing that threatens your energies ?

Given you applied for the job I guess you must think obviously it's a good thing. I can't tell if it is or if it isn't. The actual question was if you would get the job. Well if the job would do these things, give you security and save you from danger then yes it looks like you may. But if there is any sense the job itself may not be right the answer might say not getting it disperses the danger.

It all depends on where you see that need for security in the face of dispersion in 59.2 ?

Oh looking at the change patterns here. The yang pattern is hex 4. What underlies this question is the fact you don't actually know things here. Maybe you don't actually know what you are letting yourself in for ? The yin pattern, which is an opening for change, is 49. That suggests you almost might need to convince yourself such a great change is necessary.

The 14.2 answers did seem promising. I wondered if they were about this job or a change of direction ?

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
Interesting conundrum have you got there mulberry.
I agree with all your thoughts, they do fit, but ...

14.2 is really auspicious, but the 59.2.6 gave me a feeling of no.
.2 trying to find shelter with a sense of desperation.
59.6 → 29 (Danger), Wilhelm:
He dissolves his blood. Departing, keeping at a distance, going out,
Is without blame.

Transitional 20.6 - forget your ego, your desire. Reinforces the 59's idea of dissolving the ego.
Also 59 is an opposite of 55, where King attains success, max. potential.
When 59 is about dissolving, sacrificing at the temple, getting rid of old stuff.

And then 59.3.4 → 44, again about the ego/desire to have a job.
.4 regroup around new ideals, let old friends go and find new ones.
I think you will get the job but then realize that it's not what you thought you need.
Transitional 57.4 three kinds of game are caught. Three meaning change, change of goals? Or maybe you won't be fully satisfied.
44 gives a warning that you will lose some control of situation, you will have to follow the force/circumstances.

Then 14.2 can be viewed as - you have so much talent you can work anywhere. The cart is sturdy and load is there, move it in any direction and you will succeed.

59 just paints the situation in some odd color..
upd: oh I see Trojina has the same feelings about this.

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Wow, thank you both so much for your generous and insightful replies! I feel like I was looking through a foggy windshield but your words wiped it clear (or got it going in that direction).

Trojina-- you are very much on to something with the insights about safety, about trying to stay safe...I think I'm looking at this job as a refuge from the uncertainty and up-and-downs of freelancing. I interpreted line 6 as that, as me leaving behind the "anxious fears" and establishing myself in something more secure (line 2). At the same time, it is the sort of job that requires more than 40 hours a week in commitment...and I would have to give up other parts of my life (including most of my creative life) that I have a great deal of autonomy in now. And yes, it probably will scatter, or absorb, my energies--quite a lot actually--this was how I interpreted the first 59 reading, the one that changed to 44... I think you're right that I don't quite know what I'm getting myself into, to be honest. My previous full-time position was the sort that stayed at the office; this one would come home. It's also a place I have a lot of history with. My partner previously worked for them, and I know both their current leadership and the previous set on a personal level. The whole thing is very "cozy" and feels positive, but perhaps my attitude is naive about how much it would stay that way (hex 4 yang pattern...)

I also think you're right about 14.2 maybe being more about a general change of direction, or decision to look for full-time work with benefits, than about this job specifically.

Well, you've made me feel far better about not getting the job, if I don't get it. :)

Ashteroid-- Thank you so much for pointing out the ego issue--because that's definitely there, and I didn't realize it until you said it. I generally loathe ego traps around power and prestige (especially in other people, ha!), but I'm at least a little bit seduced by the esteem of this job. It would be a step-up in recognition and would make the question "What do you do?" easier and quicker to answer. But I know I wouldn't be happy if the job turned out to be miserable, the prestige alone wouldn't make me happy. I'm also startled by what you said about finding out later it wasn't what I needed (the job)--and then having lost some control (44). I think that's a very real and troubling possibility.

I agree with you, it's the 59s and changing lines coming up that make the whole thing just not quite right, not quite a surely good thing. It feels a bit ominous and sad really.

At least I think if not this job, then I have the skills and luck for something better (14.2)

Once again, I can't thank both of you enough! You've helped me figure out the nagging uncertainties I'm feeling. I will certainly update.

Last edited:

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
As an aside, I finally had at least a small "aha!" moment with 59. It's embarrassing to admit this, but I realized yesterday that--unconsciously--I've always just taken it to be "Deliverance Lite", and when I've received it I've just interpreted it as a vaguer version of 40...when actually it's something like 40's opposite! I've also failed over the years to really distinguish it from 57, a hex I rarely ever get. I've not really been giving 59 its due, or not been able to focus to see it clearly. It's easier to understand, thanks to both of your comments, as an actual dispersal of things or energies...a scattering...which is not necessarily wholly beneficial, but perhaps something to be watched and checked.

Anyway, lots to think about. Thank you!

B

butterfly spider

This casting caught my eye as I had it once - but couldn't remember what where or when
I knew it was important though
Then I remembered and went to my castings book - 1987 - it was about a pregnancy which at 3 months looked tenuous. Bleeding etc. I asked if the pregnancy would continue

I didn't understand it then - I still don't really - but just to say that the pregnancy went fine - and my daughter was born 6 months later no problems.

Just thought this might help ...

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
Butterfly spider, about the pregnancy, I looked up 'contrivance' in dictionary.
It means plan, schedule, aim, scheme, design, intention, conception, blueprint.

You wrote about bleeding and also tenuous (rarefied, thin, rare, expanded, disperse).
59.2 → 20 (Observing), Legge:
Shows its subject, amid the dispersion, hurrying to his contrivance (for security).
All occasion for repentance will disappear.

59.6 → 29 (Danger), Legge:
Shows its subject disposing of (what may be called) its bloody wounds, and going and separating himself from its anxious fears. There will be no error.

So I think the answer was pretty clear: There is some bleeding but don't you worry, stick to the plan[.2], and all your fears will go away as well as the bleeding[.6]. The pregnancy will go as planned, according to the blueprint (of God/nature).

B

butterfly spider

I think that the part I didn't understand was wether the dissolving blood was a good sign - but I suppose it is easy to put your own fears into a casting and its interpretation. The yes or no answer was a conundrum. Almost like wanting the pregnancy continue but thinking at the time that something might be amiss with the baby

It felt ominous and sad - the feelings you expressed Mulberry

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
I got the job. :) And accepted it.

There's a lot of background stuff that makes it not 100% perfect, but what job is? I'm coming into the place during a time of big upheaval and transition. I'm nervous, but also excited.

Also, as an aside--I asked "Will I get job?" a few days ago, right after my interview, and received 11 unchanging (will add to the 11 unchanging page in exploring div! :) )

Thank you everyone who so generously offered interpretations--each of you was profoundly helpful to me.

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Also one more note--I do feel like I am coming to a place of safety in the job, because it puts me in a safer place to find other work in the future...if that makes sense. And I will finally again have a regular paycheck, instead of a constant battle to get invoices paid, etc. At the same time I will have to navigate a new set of office politics...59, very hazy. I will try to remember update again in the future!

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
One more thing...I think the initial 14.2 I received twice just showed I did actually have the skills and experience for the job. I initially doubted myself, but the hiring managers did not. But that's a separate issue, I think, than what the repeated 59s were getting at. Anyway, lots of different threads in this one!

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hurray

:pompom::pompom:

Well Done Mulberry

:pompom::pompom::pompom:​

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
Following up on this thread:

Trojina, I have to say a lot of what you felt intuitively was correct. I often puzzle over whether having taken this job was in fact the right course of action for me, or if it was a somewhat painful detour that I could have avoided this lifetime. It hasn't been completely terrible, but I've had to navigate working with a bully who at one point acted inappropriately intimate towards me (it was not properly resolved by our manager) and another boss who is spineless about handling conflict and misbehavior in others.

You wrote "Maybe you don't actually know what you are letting yourself in for ?" and this was correct, as was "My first impression is that this reading has to do with you staying safe in some way." and "[whether] getting the job would itself be the thing that threatens your energies ?" Also: "But if there is any sense the job itself may not be right the answer might say not getting it disperses the danger."

In hindsight, I could have avoided a great deal of exhaustion, disrespect, and eggshell-walking if I'd not gotten this job, or had the guts to turn it down. Not to mention exploitation (I've often been compelled to work many more hours than I was paid for, on salary) and gender discrimination. The job always offered just enough flexibility and camaraderie with non-harassing coworkers, and often interesting/creative work, for me to keep going with it until now.

I'm writing this now as I'm pretty sure my time there is wrapping up. It's hard to know how different things would have been if I'd kept looking instead of taking it—I'll always wonder. That said, I'm in a very good place now in my life generally, so there's that to be grateful for.

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
One more note, I feel a bit woeful looking back at that 14.2. I was probably in a good place at that time to get better job if I was a less cautious person and turned this one (the first offer I got, with a pay that was too low from the outset) down.

Also, I'd completely forgotten about this reading, for what it would be like actually working there: 59.3.4->44

Oof! Future readers of this post, don't take a job that throws this reading your way: they will ask far too much of you and expect you to behave selflessly but in their interests (line 3), and perhaps the work culture will be one in which you are expected to give over every bit of your stored up energies and talents (line 4). This will be accomplished through a seductive work culture in which you are gaslit and drawn to keep giving over more of your time and energy by psychological manipulation from supervisors (44). No thank you! Run!!!

Hujambo

visitor
Reaction score
I'm in a very good place now in my life generally, so there's that to be grateful for.

Everything in my experience of similar readings containing 59.6 matches yours. In particular, 59.2.6>8 has played out in my life as - if you can keep your core self together during the dispersal process, you will likely get your quoted outcome, which at the time of the reading seems to have been the goal. I wish was there was a "bullies not included" version of this scenario, however, they do come and go with the wind, or maybe they are the wind (hot air). Good job, Mulberry! And thank you so much for the update. I've really learned a great deal from this thread and return to it often (with my penchant for 59 readings). :)

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
I'm glad it was helpful, Hujambo! I'm still quite leery of 59. I recently got it twice for a job my husband is applying for, too, and it's spooked me. But maybe there's no such thing as a job that doesn't disperse some of your accumulated energies?

Hujambo

visitor
Reaction score
Hey, I'm not recommending the experience... Personally I am interested in dissolving egotism, and I have a fantastic ability to attract bullies no matter what, so I notice I don't turn from a 59 experience if I see that I can make good progress on my goals and get a bit of practice surviving interactions with the type of people you mentioned in your posts. For example, the situation I'm in now was a choice between homelessness within a week or go through the 59 experience, in fact, the potential homelessness was part of the 59 cycle. We can easily lose everything, but we cannot lose anything of true value. In a 59 time, I find I learn not to resist what is, and my faith in my own abilities and place in the world grows - but not without all kinds of mental thoughts and beliefs being dissipated and not all of them go easily. It's like my idealism gets a huge dose of in-your-face reality to chew on and in the end I find that being authentic (relying on 15-ness with reverence) is the only way to deal with it, rather than potentially keeping my true essence a bit covered and safe from danger. It seems like in a lot of ways, who I am and what I care about is my greatest protection. So 59 can be a rich experience, but I wouldn't say it's something to seek out. Definitely take your own advice, Mulberry.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).