...life can be translucent

Menu

help

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I can't see how to edit existing entries ?

Also it's so annoying having the date in American format, so confusing to use and it hinders me. Maybe there is a way to switch it to date/month/year ?

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
No way to change the date format that I know of, sorry. We can put that in the 'feature request' list if you like.

As for editing entries: click on the entry in the list, and just type in the entry box (or title/ question box).

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I mean I couldn't change the actual hexagram entry. I had put the wrong line in but found there was no way to go back in to change it ?

Shame about the date. Yes I think it would be an improvement to have a choice of date format as it makes life quite hard as it is

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Ah - I see what you mean. Simplest thing to do then is copy the whole entry to the clipboard, delete it and create a new one with the correct lines.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Well what I did was send the incorrect one to the recycle bin and redo it... But the previous journal gave you the option to edit hexagrams after you had entered them so I thought this newer one would too ? I mean deleting it and beginning again shouldn't be the only way should it ? Maybe in future versions we will get that feature back ?

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Also it's so annoying having the date in American format, so confusing to use and it hinders me. Maybe there is a way to switch it to date/month/year ?

Actually I don't think the date format in Resonance Journal is either American or British.

Take today's date - December 8th, 2015. Here in the U.S., it's probably most common to write that as 12/8/15 - month/date/year, December 8, 2015.

You're saying in the U.K. it would be 8/12/15 - 8th December 2015. (I've gotten used to the "8th December" format from being among you fine Brits :D.)

Resonance Journal uses 2015-12-08, which is neither of those. I wonder if it's the order that works best for computer sorting. I have a vague recollection of once upon a time entering a bunch of dates in the 12/08/2015 format I'm used to, into some computer program and then getting weird results when sorting. When I redid them in 2015-12-08 format, they sorted just fine.

That's how I think of it, anyway, as sorting-friendly - from left to right it goes from least specific to most specific, "largest" to "smallest". You want all the 2015s together, then within that you want the months in chronological order, and then within that you want the dates in chronological order. Like primary, secondary, and tertiary sorts in Excel.

That could completely not be the reason - I really don't know - but it might help to think of it that way. Just remember you start with the most general part, and it gets more specific as you go from left to right.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Actually I don't think the date format in Resonance Journal is either American or British.

Aha ! Yes I mean even you lot don't write the year first ;)

Take today's date - December 8th, 2015. Here in the U.S., it's probably most common to write that as 12/8/15 - month/date/year, December 8, 2015.

I Googled this and it turns out most other countries do not do it this way. It makes no sense. America needs to start writing dates properly.

You're saying in the U.K. it would be 8/12/15 - 8th December 2015. (I've gotten used to the "8th December" format from being among you fine Brits :D.)

In the UK and most other countries apparently. It makes sense, I mean to start with the date, then month, then year. Why start with the month and then if it's 12/12/12 how do you know which is what if you aren't used to doing it that way. Oh well I don't suppose I am going to succeed in stopping America doing this.

Resonance Journal uses 2015-12-08, which is neither of those. I wonder if it's the order that works best for computer sorting. I have a vague recollection of once upon a time entering a bunch of dates in the 12/08/2015 format I'm used to, into some computer program and then getting weird results when sorting. When I redid them in 2015-12-08 format, they sorted just fine.

You're right it's neither. When I look at the date on the entry list I'm constantly trying to figure which is date which is month. 2015-12-08 might be 12th August or 8th December. I never remember so have to look for a date with an impossible month like 18 to figure it out.

That's how I think of it, anyway, as sorting-friendly - from left to right it goes from least specific to most specific, "largest" to "smallest". You want all the 2015s together, then within that you want the months in chronological order, and then within that you want the dates in chronological order. Like primary, secondary, and tertiary sorts in Excel.

Least specific to most specific left to right, good tip.

That could completely not be the reason - I really don't know - but it might help to think of it that way. Just remember you start with the most general part, and it gets more specific as you go from left to right.

Thanks, I think it probably is the reason. I always stumble with it though :eek:uch:

I'm not happy journal wise at the moment because I haven't updated it since May. Well I'm now up to June 4th (why do I have to do so many readings !) and I've got nearly 6 months worth of readings to put in. Anyone got any tips to make this less tedious ? I used to do it more often but when I moved it got put to one side. The worse thing is there are pages of readings where I've written something cryptic like 'S do now ?' next to a hexagram and I don't know what the heck it was about. My readings are all in my ordinary journal where I write everything else from shopping lists to dreams. So to transfer that to the resonance journal is like falling into a long tunnel and pulling readings out. The plus side is I discover readings I'd forgotten and can see what they meant in hindsight. Also on the plus side I think my private journal, which is a mixture of events, thoughts, doodles, hexagrams, shopping lists and so on, is very much like a compost heap. It looks messy but it's eventually it turns into quite good fertiliser.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
...Oh well I don't suppose I am going to succeed in stopping America doing this.

Hm, I don't know. Trojina vs the might of the USA. I'd say this one is in the balance.

I'm not happy journal wise at the moment because I haven't updated it since May. Well I'm now up to June 4th (why do I have to do so many readings !) and I've got nearly 6 months worth of readings to put in. Anyone got any tips to make this less tedious ? I used to do it more often but when I moved it got put to one side. The worse thing is there are pages of readings where I've written something cryptic like 'S do now ?' next to a hexagram and I don't know what the heck it was about. My readings are all in my ordinary journal where I write everything else from shopping lists to dreams. So to transfer that to the resonance journal is like falling into a long tunnel and pulling readings out. The plus side is I discover readings I'd forgotten and can see what they meant in hindsight. Also on the plus side I think my private journal, which is a mixture of events, thoughts, doodles, hexagrams, shopping lists and so on, is very much like a compost heap. It looks messy but it's eventually it turns into quite good fertiliser.

Blimey, you're determined. I've never tried to get paper journals into digital form. My journals from the early 90s - before I moved onto the computer - just sit in a drawer being illegible.

If you prefer writing on paper, you might number the pages and just enter the question/title, hexagram and page number in Resonance Journal. Tag it a bit, perhaps. You lose out on full text search but spend less time in the tunnel.

(The point of Resonance Journal is generally that it includes events, thoughts and dreams as well as readings. Possibly we should have called it the Compost Heap Journal. No 'shopping list' entry type. Next version, maybe...?)

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Blimey, you're determined. I've never tried to get paper journals into digital form. My journals from the early 90s - before I moved onto the computer - just sit in a drawer being illegible.

Oh I'm only extracting the readings from the journals, I'm not putting anything else in. Sometimes when there's a reading where I've no idea what it was about I read around the surrounding pages, amongst the eggs, milk and astral travel, and I'll find the topic that was on my mind that I guess was related to the reading. You never know this might be how the earliest authors of the Yi proceeded. It would account for the odd substances here and there such as melons and so on. They may have been part of a shopping list and got accidentally included in the Oracle.

If you prefer writing on paper, you might number the pages and just enter the question/title, hexagram and page number in Resonance Journal. Tag it a bit, perhaps. You lose out on full text search but spend less time in the tunnel

Ooh no my private journals are too discombobulated for that. I scribble....it's not orderly. At least being in the tunnel gives me time to reflect because I come across the reading then I read around what was on my mind at the time and it brings the reading back to life so it brings a more vivid connection between life and reading.

(The point of Resonance Journal is generally that it includes events, thoughts and dreams as well as readings. Possibly we should have called it the Compost Heap Journal. No 'shopping list' entry type. Next version, maybe...?)

Yes but I thought I'd just start with readings because that's what I need most from the journal. But this has given rise to a terrible thought. What if I decide I want to put in dreams and events....then I would have to go back through all the journals again :eek: But to me the readings are already connected to the events, mostly.....

I've so far only included readings entries from a few years ago but my journals go back to 1987...actually I've got notebooks from even earlier. Those earlier journals do contain many hexagrams but not a lot of information about the question I asked. Back then I didn't know I'd need to transfer them to the Compost Heap Journal.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
America needs to start writing dates properly.

Harumph, bah humbug, and NO. :p We will also hang on to our sensible pounds and feet etc. I do not want to buy 453 grams of flour when I can buy a nice tidy 5 pounds.[SUP]*[/SUP] And a measuring system that has a giant void between centimeters and meters??? Argh.

Actually I wonder if the computer-date-sorting issue will eventually end with everyone adopting yyyy-mm-dd. Computers are so bossy.

But yes, when using Resonance Journal just remember it's exactly backwards of yours - hopefully that will help.

[SUP]*[/SUP]Edited: okay, I suppose there are kilograms. NONETHELESS. Ounces are handier than grams at the grocery store.

Last edited:

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The worse thing is there are pages of readings where I've written something cryptic like 'S do now ?' next to a hexagram and I don't know what the heck it was about.

You are not alone, by the way, and I'm relieved (sort of) to know I'm not, either. I'd assumed the rest of you made extensive notes at all times - you know, like we ought to... :weep:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Harumph, bah humbug, and NO. :p We will also hang on to our sensible pounds and feet etc. I do not want to buy 453 grams of flour when I can buy a nice tidy 5 pounds.[SUP]*[/SUP] And a measuring system that has a giant void between centimeters and meters??? Argh.

You still have pounds and feet ? So do we really. At least I do. I wouldn't have a clue what 453 grams of flour was but I know what half a pound is. But then why would you use 'cups' in cooking...like what cup ? It's not like cups are all one size, there's big ones and little ones. I think I'm off topic.

Actually I wonder if the computer-date-sorting issue will eventually end with everyone adopting yyyy-mm-dd. Computers are so bossy.

No. The computers will have to change, not us

But yes, when using Resonance Journal just remember it's exactly backwards of yours - hopefully that will help.

Yes.

[SUP]*[/SUP]Edited: okay, I suppose there are kilograms. NONETHELESS. Ounces are handier than grams at the grocery store.

Yes I don't measure things in grams or kilograms and probably many of my age don't. Don't get me started on the new light bulb wattage wotsits. No one has any idea how they work.

You are not alone, by the way, and I'm relieved (sort of) to know I'm not, either. I'd assumed the rest of you made extensive notes at all times - you know, like we ought to...

I wish I'd made more notes, I should probably try to now I have the Compost Journal (much prefer that name). When I come across notes on a reading in my paper journal it's quite interesting but having read it I know I'll never find it again. Don't feel too bad however since I think we are the first 'generation', mainly due to this website, of non scholarly Yi folk who even keep notes at all. Before this website I don't think that many of those who consulted Yi in an ordinary way ever thought to keep many notes. In the hippy era when the I Ching became more popular there was this idea it was bad to record things or even remember them. For example on the back of 'The Portable Dragon' by Siu (which is a collection of quotations and stories for each hexagram and line) it says this :

'pick up the book
feel it,
then throw it away'​

I'd always thought 'No, I just paid good money for the book I'm not throwing it away'. A 'lifestyle coach 'or some such once recommended I get rid of all my journals lest they clutter my mental space :rolleyes: I'm so glad I ignored her.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
But then why would you use 'cups' in cooking...like what cup ? It's not like cups are all one size, there's big ones and little ones.
At some point, I suppose, someone standardized the "measuring cup" as 8 ounces. What do you use in recipes? If our recipe calls for a cup of milk, what would yours say?

No. The computers will have to change, not us
:rofl:

Hold not your breath...

Yes I don't measure things in grams or kilograms and probably many of my age don't.
Those of us "of a certain age" must band together to ward off Encroaching Doom. (I wonder where the age cut-off is?)

I'm actually finding I don't mind being an increasingly-curmudgeonly middle-aged woman.

I wish I'd made more notes, I should probably try to now I have the Compost Journal (much prefer that name).

A very creative name, except for the loooong time I understand it takes to compost anything (which makes it even more similar to understanding the I Ching, actually, drat it).

But yes, Resonance Journal is splendid for note-taking. Not just because of the nice edit box, but because of the tags, and the internal links, and the external links, etc. etc.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
At some point, I suppose, someone standardized the "measuring cup" as 8 ounces. What do you use in recipes? If our recipe calls for a cup of milk, what would yours say?

8 fluid ounces I guess. I didn't know a cup was 8 fluid ounces.

I'm actually finding I don't mind being an increasingly-curmudgeonly middle-aged woman.

Me neither. Being young is seriously over rated.

But yes, Resonance Journal is splendid for note-taking. Not just because of the nice edit box, but because of the tags, and the internal links, and the external links, etc. etc.

I have a mental block regarding 'tags'. I don't actually know what they are. I'm not ready to find out yet. I'm very resistant to these kinds of new things so I can only learn about them when I'm in the right frame of mind. I don't know what a 'cloud' is either apart from the white fluffy things in the sky. When it's a full moon on a Tuesday and there's a southerly wind then conditions might be favourable. I know these things must be very easy but I just can't face them until conditions are right. So right now I just put readings in, use the search function and don't bother with anything else. But I look forward to branching out and discovering the full capacity of the Journal in due course.

I shall probably be calling for help along the way so watch this space :bows:

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Well then since you're not ready to find out, I won't say any of the several things about tags that are on the tip of my tongue! :p :rofl:

*whispers* In basic form, they're not difficult.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).