...life can be translucent

Menu

What effect does doing a reading have? 14.1.2.3 - 35

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Whenever I see someone post a question like "Will I get the job?" I always feel uncomfortable as if saying anything positive will somehow jinx the chances. You know how actors never wish each other good luck when they're going on stage but instead say, "Break a leg!" to mean good luck without arousing the jealousy of the gods.
Also they say in science the very act of an observer watching the experiment can change the results.

So I asked the I Ching, "What effect does doing a reading have on the situation?" I received 14.1.2.3 - 35 which I interpret to mean that asking for a reading can have a positive effect. Except line 3 puzzles me. Any ideas? It sounds like a person should make some sort of donation or offering when doing a reading but to whom?

Rosada

D

diamanda

14.3 - "you cannot receive something by someone who hasn't got it"
This line always reminded me of the Ancient Greek expression "you cannot receive something by someone who hasn't got it". It was originally used by Lucian of Samosata ("Dialogues of the Dead", Part F / XXII). Charon asks Menippus to pay his underworld fare, and Menippus tells him that he can't pay, because he's got no money. The expression still survives intact (i.e. in Ancient Greek) in the modern Greek language. The reason I relate it to 14.3, is because the line describes how a prince has the means to make offerings/sacrifices to gods. A poor person, however, cannot.

I know what you mean about avoiding good wishes to avoid jinxing a situation - it's common in many cultures around the world. However, in practice, I haven't seen that happen with auspicious I Ching omens.

The lines sound to me like:
14.1 - a reading helps you stay away from harm
14.2 - a reading helps you go places
14.3 - but it can't help you get what you can't have

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
That would make sense - that even the I Ching can't help you get something not in your destiny.
Oooh, I just checked out WikiWing and read that 14.3 can mean being given insights, being able to see beyond what an ordinary person might be able to see.
Cool.

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
What effect does doing a reading have? 14.1.2.3 - 35

I read it as:
.1 no effect, no involvement
.2 you are free to go in any direction, choice is yours
.3 Yi gives the Heaven's advice, the best way to act, if you are ready to 'Let God', to follow the higher will.

Also as lower trigram changes from heaven to earth - reading helps to see the potential outcome, what will the available energies manifest into.

innertruth

visitor
Reaction score
The reason I relate it to 14.3, is because the line describes how a prince has the means to make offerings/sacrifices to gods. A poor person, however, cannot.

That's what I often saw on some feng-shui consultation forums - if free consultations were made by a professional - they always said to people - Please give away some little money to charity after my consultation - even if you cannot pay me...
Charity is a good thing to do in any case! But this remark kept me puzzled often.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I'm sure you've heard it said that when you have to pay for something you value it more. Well I read some weird study awhile back that proved this was actually true. Can't remember what the study was exactly but something a long the lines of people enjoying a hamburger more when they paid more for it. Not that the people were being fooled or hypnotized into thinking it was higher quality meat. More along the lines that when people pay they tend to focus and look for the value. Also people don't like to think they have been taken advantage of so they look for reasons to feel the cost was worth it.

D

diamanda

Rosada, yes, I know what you mean, I've read those theories too. They are a complete mystery to me.

I've tried the expensive variety of hamburgers, twice over the years, and both times I was very disappointed. The quality was questionable, and they were not half as tasty as the reasonably priced ones at my local pub. I really don't understand what type of people those surveys take into account. Does it work for you? Do you really value something more if you paid more for it?

On the other hand, it's just simply nice and fair to give what you can back to someone who gives you something, no doubt about it. Or, if not possible to give directly to them, just give to whoever else is kind and giving - so that the kindness keeps going around :)

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Well I did have one experience that was pretty powerful which I think validates the theory. Shortly after my first husband died I got a reading from someone who I knew to be a highly regarded medium and astrologer and while she charged quite a bit I figured if she could give me some guidance it would be worth it. Well the reading was complete crap. I am a professional reader myself so I know the difference between shoes and shinola. For example she asked me to submit my questions in advance which I did but when we got to talking I realized she hadn't even looked at the questions let alone done any calculations so a lot of the hour was spent with her just fussing with her computer. Anyway, I recorded the reading and when I replayed it afterwards I couldn't find she had said anything substantive other than that it appeared I would be very busy the next summer. I got off the phone really steamed but I figured it was fair karmic payback cause I know I've schmoozed a few readings myself... Yet I was definitely disappointed because of course I had naturally assume that for that high price I'd have gotten something more. Well.... that night my deceased husband appeared to me in a dream! It was better than anything a medium could have done for me and I never begrudged that woman a dime for her reading because while she may not have realized the role she played and I certainly had to look or the value, I felt I'd ultimately gotten more than my money's worth. (Oh, and it was indeed a very busy summer.)

D

diamanda

Rosada, do you mean that you believe that it was the encounter with the expensive astrologer which somehow 'triggered' the dream with your deceased husband? And, in comparison: if you had gone to a cheaper astrologer, or if you had done a reading for yourself - do you think those would not have been good enough to trigger the dream? This is not a sarcastic question, I'm genuinely curious as to how you connect the two incidents (expensive astrologer - husband dream).

B

butterfly spider

Sometimes we get back something completely different after parting with our money. If what I think is correct - the dream of your husband more
Than made up for the money you had just spent on the diviner...how lovely.

Two instances in my life I remember - once when I had to pay for a first class ticket (the train was full otherwise) that was invalidated as the train was stupidly full. I felt miffed. I had to stand for 4 hours started chatting with a man about canoes - he had one for sale and subsequently offered me a job. The cost of the ticket was unrelated but was more than made up for by the meeting.

I ran a home-taught group and arranged outings - most were free events at museums galleries for school age children. However, so many folk would book and then simply not turn up that I started charging - albeit a small sum 50p per child I think. Suddenly there were far fewer cancellations - even if the cost was small. I arranged something festive with the money ... Teaching music lessons - charging too little indicates poor quality teaching ........ Which is not always the case of course.

X

D

diamanda

charging too little indicates poor quality teaching ........ Which is not always the case of course.

I see what you mean, well for sure I fell victim to this way of thinking when I was younger.
And not just once - with the worse and most catastrophic example being private dentists :-/
Nowadays, paying a high price for a particular service simply shows me a crook to avoid.

The train incident was great, good to hear you got lucky after all the initial aggro!

B

butterfly spider

Just thought if something else
My friend - at Uni very wealthy said that if we think that we are wealthy - go into a restaurant or shop - thinking we have endless cash that we can buy whatever we want - we will choose what we want - not what we feel we can afford. When I was broke and feeling grim I went into Claridges for an afternoon tea in 1980. It cost £3.00 for tea but 80p for a pot of tea. I sat and had a pot of Earl Grey - so no sandwiches or cake - but it was still afternoon tea - and I was a dancer so didn't need the carbs anyway!!

I have done this in my life and it does work - thinking of what I want if I had endless cash - it also works in thinking how would my day have been has I had been able to have anything I wanted. I did this on Thuraday. A lovely glorious day walking in the hills - sandwiches and flask in tow. Arrived at a pub with £2.78 enough for a half of local real ale. The food was expensive but I say outside with the dog in the sunshine. How would my life have been enhanced if I had gone in for lunch - not much really -

How would my life today have been enhanced by more money - not really Maybe a better bottle of wine - maybe I would get myself a computer and not have to use my phone - but then my son wouldn't have to come and sit with me to bring in his computer - and I would sit and watch Dickension (a drama) on my own

If you want and need something it will happen ..

Xxx

ernobe

visitor
Reaction score
The lines sound to me like:
14.1 - a reading helps you stay away from harm
14.2 - a reading helps you go places
14.3 - but it can't help you get what you can't have

To me 2 and 3 are more like:
14.2 - Truth makes you free.
14.3 - Unequivocal benefits flow from one who possesses it.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Diamanda,
You asked me if I thought going to the expensive astrologer somehow triggered my dream. Yes, I think so. But I suppose you could say there were other factors that should be taken into consideration. The first being that this medium was considered to be very very good. Perhaps her fine reputation was not built on her ability to give good readings necessarily but maybe others had found that simply being with her had resulted in positive experiences like the one I had - like maybe just her state of consciousness did something, like sitting with a guru who says nothing but afterwards you find great insight has entered you. So perhaps this experience wasn't a good example of appreciating something more simply because you paid more for it. I mean, maybe she really did have a special gift and was worth it and I just didn't realize it at the time because I was expecting something different. So maybe it's not a good example of someone charging an inflated price and letting the buyer fill in the blanks. Anyway, I don't intend to go back to her or recommend he but I do feel I got my money's worth from the whole experience.

But it is a very funny thing about money and the value we put on it. I think of another experience where a friend loaned me a very expensive dress to wear to a special occasion. I did look fabulous :))) - I just glowed! -in what I thought to be a designer original. In fact recently YEARS later someone commented, "Remember that night you showed up in that wonderful green and blue gown..?" Well anyway, when I took the dress back to my friend and again thanked her for letting me wear this gorgeous multi-thousand dollar outfit she laughed and told me she'd gotten it at Target! So who knows...?

Last edited:
D

diamanda

Rosada, thanks for the explanation about the astrologer. It might well be the case that she triggered it in some obscure manner. I wouldn't rule it out that the energy of some particular people can have such effects.

I loved your story about the designer dress from Target! You glowed in it, that's what counts :)

steve

visitor
Reaction score
I have just received 14.2.3>21 when i asking what i need to know about making my business a real success this year. Its not that its in a bad state, its just I really want to go to another level.

After reading this thread I would take this as line 2 be receptive maybe balanced let things unfold along the way, and line three I was wondering what the sacrifice could be, until reading this thread. It then dawned on me how simple it was. I will HAVE to spend more money to make more money. The test will be where that should be and that maybe is more about line 2. I finally know what the sacrifice will be. Its where to make the sacrifice.

Not sure if I completely understand line 2 in this context but I have clarity I believe with line 3.
On line two its a positive image no matter.

Legge: The second line, dynamic, shows a large wagon with its load. In whatever direction advance is made, there will be no error.

I think also I need to get my pricing structure correct and make sure I am paid fairly and on time.
Maybe tougher contracts etc. ( line 3)

21 I believe is the breaking through part, chewing my way to a better state of affairs.

Would you agree with my interpretation ? or if not let me know and Happy New Year.

This was a very useful thread the sacrifice was doing my head in. It is true also that customers simply dont value things if they dont pay a fair price. Why?
I dont have a clue but I have seen it in action.
Saying that I have had experiences where I havent appreciated things because I have got them too easily.

They say a huge percentage of people who win lotto very rarely keep the money.

Please let me know if you see my interpretation in another way. I am dealing with 14.2 in another thread as well.

The fact that Rosada's reading led to 35 I have found 35 unchanging to be one of the most positive readings to have coz in a nut shell its progress. After getting clarity you make progress in a reading, that is positive.

Steve

Last edited:
M

maggie may

I think free food tastes better :rofl: And I am always on the look out for a deal or a discount, even with money.

steve

visitor
Reaction score
Me too, i think it tastes better, but statistic's show different.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).